Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

God's terrible judgment on Sodom and Gomorrah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: God's terrible judgment on Sodom and Gomorrah
    Posted: 04-May-2011 at 20:13

According to the Book of Genesis Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed by fire and brimstone as punishment for their wickedness together with the neighboring towns of Admar and Zeboim. Only Zoar was spared destruction as Lot sheltered there. The description of Sodom's final moments sounds like a volcanic eruption: people blinded by noxious gases, intense heat, complete devastation and the transformation of Lot's wife into a pillar of salt (carbonised like the victims of Pompeii)

What exactly had the Sodomites done that so angered God? Was it their toleration of homosexuality? Their lack of hospitality? Or their abominable heathenish worship?
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2011 at 20:20
Standard viewpoint and doctrine when I was learning this, in Sunday School as a youth, was all three.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2011 at 20:39
Lack of hospitality doesn't sound that severe: i'd imagine most ancient cities were suspicious of strangers.
On its own, pagan idolatry was unremarkable. There were various evil cults in the Middle East, including one that worshipped the demon Moloch (whose followers included the Carthaginians). Children were incinerated as a sacrifice to this abomination. However, God did not destroy them at that time (though the Israelites would eventually wipe out these wicked men and suppress that barbaric practise).
Toleration of homosexuality is more unusual. The only other contemporary civilisation i can think of where homosexual relations were acceptable was ancient Greece.
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2011 at 21:56
homosexual acts  obviously
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2011 at 01:17
Originally posted by balochii

homosexual acts  obviously

If one were to 'rank-order' what I was taught long ago...that was number one followed by paganism.
Hospitality or lack thereof was excuse away by bad manners.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2011 at 08:08
"Sharing" of partners with other males/females,activate "alpha"effect.Bisexuality or homosexuality would be result of this.I believe Bible had described city of pleasure and sin,rather than ordinary ancient city.Las
Vegas combined with kinky sexual pleasures.Basic one was:incest.I believe that human reproduction out of
closest family members,have made us different than animals and more humans.Fritzl case have to remind
us about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritzl_case

Edited by medenaywe - 06-May-2011 at 15:14
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2011 at 08:32
In those times, The Hospitality rule was paramount.  Strangers had no way of knowing if the town they were in was friendly or had an inn.

I identify with the Malay Islanders who don't have a deity, and have the attitude of S*** Happens.  They don't need a "Paranormal explanation" for Natural occurances.
Scientists are blaming a meteor impact for the destruction.  S and G were in the "Throw out zone" for the Impact debris.  [Fire and Brimstone]

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2011 at 08:59
Weird time were those indeed!Isolated cases,that were published,just remind us about reasons Sodom and
Gomorrah were created:The anger of God will find you as those from the destroyed cities!
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2011 at 16:13
Originally posted by Nick1986

Lack of hospitality doesn't sound that severe: i'd imagine most ancient cities were suspicious of strangers.
On its own, pagan idolatry was unremarkable. There were various evil cults in the Middle East, including one that worshipped the demon Moloch (whose followers included the Carthaginians). Children were incinerated as a sacrifice to this abomination. However, God did not destroy them at that time (though the Israelites would eventually wipe out these wicked men and suppress that barbaric practise).
Toleration of homosexuality is more unusual. The only other contemporary civilisation i can think of where homosexual relations were acceptable was ancient Greece.

When did Israelites wipe out Phoenicians? Or are you talking about that specific cult?
Timidi mater non flet
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2011 at 19:43
I'm talking about the cult. At one point even some of the Israelites followed it.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2011 at 04:29
You are talking about this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hebrew_Israelites
more specific about this cult:
http://www.apologeticsindex.org/b58.html

Edited by medenaywe - 07-May-2011 at 04:31
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2011 at 07:27
Originally posted by medenaywe

You are talking about this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hebrew_Israelites
more specific about this cult:
http://www.apologeticsindex.org/b58.html

Oh I heard about that group, their claim is even more preposterous than that of the Mormons!
Timidi mater non flet
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2011 at 12:33
What nonsense. While the Israelites may have intermarried with Egyptians (who were black) after 40 years in the desert any black features would have disappeared, especially as the Israelites came into contact with Semitic Canaanite women
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2011 at 13:32
Not so fast on that my friend.   No one's mentioned the Lembaa.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2011 at 13:35
Who is who on this picture than?Red/Brown,"White",Black and Yellow people are inside!

Edited by medenaywe - 08-May-2011 at 13:38
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2011 at 17:50

What nonsense. While the Israelites may have intermarried with Egyptians (who were black) after 40 years in the desert any black features would have disappeared, especially as the Israelites came into contact with Semitic Canaanite women

40 years in the desert of Sinai where there are no African tribes but Bedouins.
Timidi mater non flet
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2011 at 19:48
Exactly. The Ethiopians and Lemba are descended from Jews who left long after Israel's founding (probably during the time of Solomon). But i intend to discuss the Queen of Sheba/Land of Punt in another thread
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 10:53

Nick, 40 years wouldn't be long enough to eliminate Afroid features.  Even being isolated from any future genetic ties with anyone of African desent.  My Great Grandmother 3x removed was West African.  From the limited information I have, she passed away during the Civil War.  My grandmother, while very light skinned, still had some hints of her heritage in her facial features.  However, the generation I belong to, with light skin and blond hair[well, it was blond once Big smile] has no trace.

The passage of time here is approx. 150 Years.

Edited by red clay - 11-May-2011 at 10:54
Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 11:13
Yes Red,now you know how much was i surprised when text was translated.Blond hair,white skin,European
very much.We were white as it looks!Course of pharaoh made us slaves!Black people inside our raws made it.It looks as forensic analyses all this.I suppose people,that were conquered by Alexander,here on picture
had done that:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-r46JS53EW2M/TamDYdc6RTI/AAAAAAAAAZE/3WcOqYscGCY/s1600/Battle_of_Issus.jpg
   Do you have better idea?

Edited by medenaywe - 11-May-2011 at 11:19
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 13:37
Originally posted by red clay

Nick, 40 years wouldn't be long enough to eliminate Afroid features.  Even being isolated from any future genetic ties with anyone of African desent.  My Great Grandmother 3x removed was West African.  From the limited information I have, she passed away during the Civil War.  My grandmother, while very light skinned, still had some hints of her heritage in her facial features.  However, the generation I belong to, with light skin and blond hair[well, it was blond once Big smile] has no trace.

The passage of time here is approx. 150 Years.

For the sake of argument, let us say that 4 decades in the desert were not enough to dilute the Afroid features. I don't recall any of the Jews staying in the desert, they all went to Canaan with Moses. So none of those who supposedly would have married African women, and remember that Jews are strictly discouraged to marry a non-Israelite, would have actually become separated and form a distinct people later on. Anyhow, I don't see how Jewish genetics would have reached all the way to south Africa. It says that they found some Middle-eastern heritage in 50% of the lemba population. Bravo, but wouldn't that be more likely people from the Southern part of the Arabian peninsula who are actually closer to east Africa and South Africa and who happened to trade throughout the Red Sea?
Timidi mater non flet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>