Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Old West History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old West History
    Posted: 05-Jul-2011 at 14:36
Thumbs Up

The True Story of Clay Allison and Wyatt Earp
Dodge City, KS

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2011 at 15:21

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2011 at 19:24
Mormon Battalion

An excellent bio and site of/for the unit that was sent west to assist the US government's efforts in California during the M/A war.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 20-Jul-2011 at 19:24

S. T. Friedman

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2011 at 21:49
I read this one book Indian Women and French Men, a decent entry into the Western frontier. A lil earlier than the late 1800s but stil..
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2011 at 21:49
Also; quite a lot of books on native americans. There was this one "Dine" on the Navajo that I enjoyed.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2011 at 21:50
"Dine" which deals with Navajo history is good, since it mainly deals with the western era as well, and the formation of the navajo land.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2011 at 21:51

I did see that show Deadwood, wish they had a fourth season. A lot of historical inconstiencies but still worth it.

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2011 at 23:24
I have been studying the American Old West over forty years and it is always a fascinating visit.

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2011 at 02:30

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2011 at 14:04
Fascinating example of the 'Old West' concept of Vigilantes

Montana Gold Camp Vigilantes

S. T. Friedman

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2011 at 15:20
CV, did you enjoy the movie entitled "The Missouri Breaks?" I just loved it!

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2011 at 16:02
Originally posted by red clay

A bunch of History, you bet.  The Original name for the Clovis Culture was the Llano Culture. You could say it's ground zero for history.
And much later, the area was home to the Comancheros. A mixed ethnicity group of diverse talents (merchants, bandits, gun - whiskey running etc.).  I think I saw some of their descendents in Artesia, New Mexico.

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2011 at 16:39
Originally posted by opuslola

CV, did you enjoy the movie entitled "The Missouri Breaks?" I just loved it!

Regards,

Yes I saw it and found it to be fairly good as these things can be when screenwirters adapt history.

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2011 at 16:42
Originally posted by Cryptic

Originally posted by red clay

A bunch of History, you bet.  The Original name for the Clovis Culture was the Llano Culture. You could say it's ground zero for history.
And much later, the area was home to the Comancheros. A mixed ethnicity group of diverse talents (merchants, bandits, gun - whiskey running etc.).  I think I saw some of their descendents in Artesia, New Mexico.

Next time you must look for me....I am there often enough.  I can show you some...and you forgot to mention that numerous former soldiers also ran with the Comanchero's.

Their modern day version is still to be found in the Meth trafficking business out of Mexico into the USA.Wink

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2011 at 18:20
The following accounts of Indian hostilities are not as well known for a lot of reasons. Primarily due to the fact they occurred early on in the expansion of the West. In the South West in particular. Versus the latter more well known events of the the 1860's-70's. None the less, they were real enough for those involved and certainly for those in Texas..where they occurred.

Texas Rangers..the Texas Army (militia), Old Scouts and new, famous Trappers and settlers against the legendary Lord's of the Southern Plains: the Great Comanche Nation.

They were all there.

Enjoy the site.

CV

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 15-Aug-2011 at 18:20

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2011 at 19:28
So the Indian Wars stemmed from both sides' inability to understand the other's culture? The Indians may not have realised they were stealing as they had few possessions
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2011 at 20:13
Certainly a major factor...couple this with the Anglo-Saxon traditional doctrine of individual liberties and expansionism, as identified and developed along market captialism in the US after 1787, to obtain a better life style. Irregardless necessarily of other cultures and their historic traditional development and sociology..... and you begin to ken the difficulties.

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2011 at 13:06
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

<H1><FONT face="Benguiat Bk BT">BlackCowboys.com</H1>
Thumbs Up

A lot of early cowboys were black, Mexican and even Indians. Until the 1860s whites saw such work as beneath them. It was a hard life and badly-paid: many cowboys couldn't afford guns until after the Civil War and those who had them frequently used them as hammers
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2011 at 18:04
Yes theirs is a story not well known or appreciated. They were uniformly praised as hardworking..loyal..dependable and self-effacing viz modesty and probably the bigotry still rampant at the time.

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2011 at 04:46
Revered by many and hated by just as many the man remains in part a mystery. To say that he was not an arch foe of the White expansionists and  their governement who allowed for treaty creation farces and breachs that drove him from his homeland is an understatement. But there is always more then one side to a story.

His is an old one. And part and parcel to cultural clashes and desires for resources and expansion of lands by immigrant settlers that were a main stay in 19th ce America...his is also still an interesting one.

Such is the case of the man known as Inkpaduta.

S. T. Friedman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>