Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lost Polish territories

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lost Polish territories
    Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 15:19

what happened to Poland in 1795 wanted to be implemented after the first world war but for this time towards the Ottoman Empire.But it never came true.

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote dark_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2004 at 20:58
Poland lost territories because USSR and Warsaw pact was meant to be like one country. No one had planned on it dividing. Also as long as were talking about los tterritories it pisses me off that Kruschev gave Ukraine Crimea. The land Russia conquered from Ottoman empire in a bloody war ( especially when Britain joined in) just handed over to Ukraine...
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2004 at 21:09

Originally posted by dark_one

Also as long as were talking about los tterritories it pisses me off that Kruschev gave Ukraine Crimea. The land Russia conquered from Ottoman empire in a bloody war ( especially when Britain joined in) just handed over to Ukraine...

Well, Kruschev was an ukrainian, wasnt he?

dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote dark_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2004 at 21:33
Not sure, but it would explain a lot.
The Golden Phallanx View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote The Golden Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 20:32
THe way you people speak of the EU makes me sick.  THe EU is not an imperialist power but a movement of peace for all and in the best interest of all through it's economic bonding. THe moment Brussels abuses this trust, the EU will no longer be the EU. I don't believe you Poles understand the concept of the EU. "Growth to all and friendly cooperation" is the name of the game, not building a territorial might! I think you Poles should not weep for the past but smile for the future; besides, has it once occured to you that most of your modern day country was once inhabited by a german majority? Everyone has lost great things, but by working together, we can all gain together
We are all a result of what we have lived. Culture, attitude, perspective. For everything we do, there is a reason. There is no true evil, only the absence of proper communication.
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 21:02
Polish lost territory? Are you kidding me? Before WW1 there wasn't even a Polish NATION, and after ww2 it became on of the biggest countries of Europe.. They took much German and Russian land, and I do not htink they should complain for what they have recieved after doing little to help allies in both wars..
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2005 at 13:29

flame wars with Turks and Macedonians became boring? time to start another one with Poles? Ill tell you only one thing: Go to your southern part of Cyprus and keep fu....king your goats there.

Edited by Mosquito
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2005 at 14:17
little helping the allies? you really don't know much of just how much the Poles did for the allies. First of all Poland was the first nation to fight naxi's and keep fighting till the end. What are you talking about one of the biggest countries after ww2? it's bigger then the former duchy of warsaw but it's not that big. now, in no particular order: "Operation Overlord was the largest amphibious operation in world history. But it took almost two months for it to be firmly established. the British did not capture Caen, one of the initial D-Day objectives, until 18 July. The Americans did not break out into open country until the end of the month. The german defenders of Normandy were not forced to retreat en masse until the Battle of the Falaise Pocket (19-21 August). The signal contribution of the First Ally(Poland) to these operation lay with the 1st (Polish) Armoured Division, which landed in Normandy in the second wave and which took up station to the south of Caen as the forward element of the First Canadian Army." in the battle of Falaise under Montogomery "a key role fell to the 1st (Polish) Armoured division of Maj.Gen. M., which formed the spearhead of the 2nd Canadian Corps on the flank of Montgomery's command. Probing southwards from Falaise, the division linked up with the Americans, who were moving north from Argentan, and, by occupying a strategic ridge, blocked the Seventh Army's line of retreat. It has beend described as 'the cork in the bottle neck'. Maj.Gen. M.'s tankmen found themselves in the very hottest cauldron of the battle. Whilst fending off the ever more desperate attacks of the german divisions who were trapped on one side of the ridge, they wrestled with similarly desperate rescue attempts mounted by German units from the other side. But they held out; and Montgomery was able to claim the falaise gap as one of the greatest victories of his career." Moving on I'll go into the Battle of Britain... " The first ally's (Poland) contribution to the victory was well appreciated at the time, but later forgotten or minimized" you my friend are direct proof of this.." Their pilots served both in RAF units and in their own squadrons, operating under British command they represented 10 percent of the total fliers employed, and accounted for 12 per cent of the enemy aircraft destroyed. Most impressively, they incurred only one-hird of the average casualty rate, whilst being maintained by a ground crew ratio of only 30:1 as compared to 100:1 in the RAF and 80:1 in the Luftwaffe. Their achievements were particularly valuable in the critical days of mid-September. On the 15th, they accounted for 14 per cent of enemy losses, on the 19th, 25 percent, and on the 26th, 48 percent". The Air Cjief marshal Sir Hugh Dowding, The RAF's fighter chief said " Had it not been for the magnifacent material contributed by [The First Ally's] squadrons and their unsurpassed gallantry, I hesitate to say that the outcome of the battle would have been the same." I'll give you one more, The Battle of Monte Cassino, now if you had heard of this then you had to hear of the Poles contribution here, if not then you really don't know what you're talking about. the Importance of Monte cassino was it was a single heavily fortified obstacle in the Allies way to Rome. "Monte Cassino held out against three desperate Allied assaults, and only succumbed to the fourth attempt. In the first battle (11 January to 7 february), the french and the Americans struggled in vain against both a determined enemy and astrocious weather. In the second battle (15-18 February), which was marked by the pointless bombing of the Benedictine Monastery, the New Zealanders led the unsuccessful attack. In the third battle (15-25 March), the Indian Division tried and failed. In the fourth battle (11-18 May), the percipitous slopes of Monastery Hill were finally stormed by three frontal, uphill charges undertaken with enormous loss by two divisions of Anders's men. A British officer, later an Oxford professor, who watched them, said that he had never seen such a display of fearless courage. The victory opened the road to Rome, which was captured three weeks later."
Now when you said Poland wasn't a country before WW1, you were right, but have you ever looked into world history before 18th Century? if so you would see a Poland that includes, Lithuania, Livonia, bit of Estonia, Ukraine, BelaRus, and parts of Russia. And Lwow is a city that has been Polish for centuries if you'd like I can post pictures up of statues and memorials of Polish Poets, Kings and the little eaglets cemetary; kids who fought for Lwow against Ukrainians. If you look at the Curzon line, when it was first decided upon Poland was to keep Lwow, however naturally the western countries stabbed a knife in our backs and handed it over to Stalin. I also see that i have given information concerning only WW2, in WW1 there was no Poland so the country itself did not contribute much however keep in mind Poland was partitioned during that time so there were Polish soldiers fighting for Austria, Prussia, and Russia. IMO they contributed greatly in WW1 in which they brought Poland back on the map.

Also, the book form which I quoted was by Norman Davies, Rising '44...
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2005 at 15:19
Originally posted by Mosquito

Well, Kruschev was an ukrainian, wasnt he?

no, he's born Russian but his family moved to Ukraine.

strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2005 at 17:44
Originally posted by Mosquito

flame wars with Turks and Macedonians became boring? time to start another one with Poles? Ill tell you only one thing: Go to your southern part of Cyprus and keep fu....king your goats there.

No reason to respond to such a Stupid comment.  Guess you dont have ANY knowledge on the topic..

Edited by strategos
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2005 at 17:53

Originally posted by Sarmata

little helping the allies? you really don't know much of just how much the Poles did for the allies. First of all Poland was the first nation to fight naxi's and keep fighting till the end. What are you talking about one of the biggest countries after ww2? it's bigger then the former duchy of warsaw but it's not that big. now, in no particular order: "Operation Overlord was the largest amphibious operation in world history. But it took almost two months for it to be firmly established. the British did not capture Caen, one of the initial D-Day objectives, until 18 July. The Americans did not break out into open country until the end of the month. The german defenders of Normandy were not forced to retreat en masse until the Battle of the Falaise Pocket (19-21 August). The signal contribution of the First Ally(Poland) to these operation lay with the 1st (Polish) Armoured Division, which landed in Normandy in the second wave and which took up station to the south of Caen as the forward element of the First Canadian Army." in the battle of Falaise under Montogomery "a key role fell to the 1st (Polish) Armoured division of Maj.Gen. M., which formed the spearhead of the 2nd Canadian Corps on the flank of Montgomery's command. Probing southwards from Falaise, the division linked up with the Americans, who were moving north from Argentan, and, by occupying a strategic ridge, blocked the Seventh Army's line of retreat. It has beend described as 'the cork in the bottle neck'. Maj.Gen. M.'s tankmen found themselves in the very hottest cauldron of the battle. Whilst fending off the ever more desperate attacks of the german divisions who were trapped on one side of the ridge, they wrestled with similarly desperate rescue attempts mounted by German units from the other side. But they held out; and Montgomery was able to claim the falaise gap as one of the greatest victories of his career." Moving on I'll go into the Battle of Britain... " The first ally's (Poland) contribution to the victory was well appreciated at the time, but later forgotten or minimized" you my friend are direct proof of this.." Their pilots served both in RAF units and in their own squadrons, operating under British command they represented 10 percent of the total fliers employed, and accounted for 12 per cent of the enemy aircraft destroyed. Most impressively, they incurred only one-hird of the average casualty rate, whilst being maintained by a ground crew ratio of only 30:1 as compared to 100:1 in the RAF and 80:1 in the Luftwaffe. Their achievements were particularly valuable in the critical days of mid-September. On the 15th, they accounted for 14 per cent of enemy losses, on the 19th, 25 percent, and on the 26th, 48 percent". The Air Cjief marshal Sir Hugh Dowding, The RAF's fighter chief said " Had it not been for the magnifacent material contributed by [The First Ally's] squadrons and their unsurpassed gallantry, I hesitate to say that the outcome of the battle would have been the same." I'll give you one more, The Battle of Monte Cassino, now if you had heard of this then you had to hear of the Poles contribution here, if not then you really don't know what you're talking about. the Importance of Monte cassino was it was a single heavily fortified obstacle in the Allies way to Rome. "Monte Cassino held out against three desperate Allied assaults, and only succumbed to the fourth attempt. In the first battle (11 January to 7 february), the french and the Americans struggled in vain against both a determined enemy and astrocious weather. In the second battle (15-18 February), which was marked by the pointless bombing of the Benedictine Monastery, the New Zealanders led the unsuccessful attack. In the third battle (15-25 March), the Indian Division tried and failed. In the fourth battle (11-18 May), the percipitous slopes of Monastery Hill were finally stormed by three frontal, uphill charges undertaken with enormous loss by two divisions of Anders's men. A British officer, later an Oxford professor, who watched them, said that he had never seen such a display of fearless courage. The victory opened the road to Rome, which was captured three weeks later."
Now when you said Poland wasn't a country before WW1, you were right, but have you ever looked into world history before 18th Century? if so you would see a Poland that includes, Lithuania, Livonia, bit of Estonia, Ukraine, BelaRus, and parts of Russia. And Lwow is a city that has been Polish for centuries if you'd like I can post pictures up of statues and memorials of Polish Poets, Kings and the little eaglets cemetary; kids who fought for Lwow against Ukrainians. If you look at the Curzon line, when it was first decided upon Poland was to keep Lwow, however naturally the western countries stabbed a knife in our backs and handed it over to Stalin. I also see that i have given information concerning only WW2, in WW1 there was no Poland so the country itself did not contribute much however keep in mind Poland was partitioned during that time so there were Polish soldiers fighting for Austria, Prussia, and Russia. IMO they contributed greatly in WW1 in which they brought Poland back on the map.

Also, the book form which I quoted was by Norman Davies, Rising '44...

I appreciate a real post such as this, I did not think the Polish did so much.. But i think a big factor that put poland on the map was the communist revolt in russia, because they gave poland, ukraine, luthiania, and other countries go Germany, but after the german defeat these countries gained their own independance.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2005 at 18:04

Originally posted by strategos

A dumb comment from a dumb a*s. If you have nothing intelligent to add to this chat, then just keep out you moron. f**k my goats? Why don't you go charge your calvary at  tanks  the next time a country invadess again and see if it will work This time? Your a Joke and I will not waste my time with such trash.

It seems that your goats were infected by rabies.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2005 at 19:57
He is an American and if was not for American intervention you would be still under the yoke of Hitler. Then there was Reagan and his influence on the cold war.
Don't get me wrong Poland is a great country and a good friend of the U.S.
The Polish are very industrious and intellectual and they fought the Nazi's with great honor.

Now, I suggest stop any name calling and stop this before people get banned or this is closed.

Tell us about the lost territories of Poland. I would like to know more!!! Who was in the that region first- the Germanic tribes or the Slavic tribes?? Who are the Poles of today?
I am a German American but I just would like to see from your perspective. I do not know much about modern Poland, let alone modern German history.

Edited by eaglecap
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 01:22
I disagree that the world would still be under Hitlers yoke if it wasn't for the Americans, I mean yeah theyd efinately played a huge part, but the Red Army did more to defeat the nazi's then Americans. Also jsut because America did some good int he past doesnt mean Im gonna be nice to every American I come across, not trying to be mean here, just saying. I mean America didn't care for Europe at all up until theyg ot attacked, just goes to show how great theya re, look at the present situation now in Iraq...not every American is good. Strategos Im not sure what you're trying to sya in your last post but either way I know my countries history and I can tell you we deserve our independence as we fought through most of history for not only ours but also for others, such as America's( Kosciuszko, Pulaski). Eaglecap, Im not exactly sure who occupied the territory first. Im pstill trying to find a sure answer of where the slavs come from, some say Kazakhstan some say from the mountains of Croatia, others that believe between the area of Poland-Belarussia, and some say in the area of the Carpathians between Poland and Ukraine. Iw ould like to the answer myself unfortunately I don't. There is a myth sayingt hat Berlin was acctually slavic before as the name comes form the slavic word Berlo, which is a symbol(object) of authority.
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 05:24

Is anyone in Poland really interested in re-claiming the pre-1939 borders? Because I think there might be some rather interesting implications...

Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 12:54
I personally believe that it is too late to change the borders again, there would have to be transfer of people again. however the one place I do believe that Poland cold and should regain is the city of Lwow, i believe it to have been almost always Polish, more Polish then Ukrainian anyways. I dont think bringing Wilno would be unfair to Lithuania which is the countries capital, unless of course somehow Poland and Lithuania Unites . Poland first got Lwow during the time of kazimierz the great, after this time it had almost never escaped Polish grasp, even during the Polish-Soviet war when the Poles were being pushed back all the way to the Wisla they held on to Lwow stubbornly. I also think that Kamieniec podolski should be in the Polish borders because many wars have been fought defending it and retaking ti from enemy armies.
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 12:58
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 13:44
Lviv is Lemberg in German and belonged to Austria as well for quite some time. also Germans fought a lot over Silesia, but that's the last province i ever want to rejoin Germany...personally i feel todays borders of Poland are historically perfect, and anyway, if every nation would want it's lost territories back Poland would be on the losing side.
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 14:58
That's a fair statement. Though I still do think lwow should be a Polish city. Anyways you're right about the borders of today it's very homogenous I think about 96% of population all Polish, Roman Dmowski would love to see Poland as it is today. Roman Dmowski was a nationalist, he believed the Poles should stop trying to bring back the borders of Jagiellonian times and fight for a more ethnically concentrated state. He wanted the Piast borders back, and if you look at a map of Poland during the reign of Kazimierz III krzywousty the borders are very close of todays Poland. Dmowski led politics against Pilsudski; Pilsudski wanted to regain the territories of Jagiellonian times and build a federation of nations against Russia, which he believed to be the number one threat to poland. Dmowksi however believed in building stronger ties with Russia and declared the germans the number one threat to Poland. i dont think he lived to see the invasion of Poland byt he nazi's he died in 1939...im not sure the month though.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 16:27
Originally posted by boody4

"I understand about giving territories to Lithuania, because it was part of Poland.

It was a part of Poland-Lithuania commonwealth or union, whatever you call it, but not Poland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>