Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwhere black africans savages prior to colonization

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: where black africans savages prior to colonization
    Posted: 16-Oct-2012 at 10:24
Originally posted by Boma

Originally posted by Nick1986

Originally posted by Mountain Man

In fact, Africans were not "savages" -their civilizations were quite sophisticated in many ways, but they peaked before the arrival of Europeans and presented a picture of simple people, but the ruins all over Africa say otherwise.

The Great Fortress of Zimbabwe was built long before European savages even thought about building fortresses out of solid stone, and reveals a degree of sophistication not seen again until until the great stone fortresses of Europe and the Crusades.

Irrigation systems in desert lands were highly sophisticated and still exist - and function - to this day.

Take the ancient Egyptians, for example. They built magnificent pyramids, temples and cities while Europeans still lived in mud huts and wore animal skins

Uhm !! Ancient Egyptians ? The Ancient Egyptians became cannibals  after their destruction by the ARABS. The few that survived are mostly in Nigeria today with no knowledge of their origin. What happened ? They lost every thing including the civilization their forefathers  started  and became savages .
So you're saying colonisation transformed them from a great civilisation into savages?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Boma View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2012 at 09:53

In fact, Africans were not "savages" -their civilizations were quite sophisticated in many ways, but they peaked before the arrival of Europeans and presented a picture of simple people, but the ruins all over Africa say otherwise.

The Great Fortress of Zimbabwe was built long before European savages even thought about building fortresses out of solid stone, and reveals a degree of sophistication not seen again until until the great stone fortresses of Europe and the Crusades.

Irrigation systems in desert lands were highly sophisticated and still exist - and function - to this day.

Take the ancient Egyptians, for example. They built magnificent pyramids, temples and cities while Europeans still lived in mud huts and wore animal skins

Uhm !! Ancient Egyptians ? The Ancient Egyptians became cannibals  after their destruction by the ARABS. The few that survived are mostly in Nigeria today with no knowledge of their origin. What happened ? They lost every thing including the civilization their forefathers  started  and became savages .
So you're saying colonisation transformed them from a great civilisation into savages?

You know Arabization leads to primitivity because people are limited  to Islamic principles which do not have room for innovation. And so yes the invasion of Egypt and other parts of AFRICA by the ARABS  actually led Africans to become savages. Our civilization is not given chance to progress.
Izon_Otu
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2012 at 12:23
What do you mean, Arabization made it primitive? What about the Golden Age of Islam, with all the due astromonical, mathematical etc achieviements? What about all the Arabic universities in Timbuctu and the books left there from this time? What about Sufism, one of the great philosophical systems, it is Islamic, and it's not primitive by any standard.
I wouldn't defend a stance than Arabization lead to primitivism anyway.

Edited by Don Quixote - 18-Oct-2012 at 12:25
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2012 at 13:10

[/QUOTE]
So you're saying colonisation transformed them from a great civilisation into savages?[/QUOTE]

Was I that unclear when I said that the ancient African civilizations had peaked and declined before the Europeans came onto the scene?

As I have mention at least twice before, the early African tribes and cultures were remarkably sophisticated.  The advent of Europeans, if anything, furthered their decline by arbitrarily laying down borders without regard for tribal claims - thus promoting internecine warfare - and by making the African dependent upon the European technology .
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Ekundayo View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2012 at 13:56

So you're saying colonisation transformed them from a great civilisation into savages?[/QUOTE]

Was I that unclear when I said that the ancient African civilizations had peaked and declined before the Europeans came onto the scene?

As I have mention at least twice before, the early African tribes and cultures were remarkably sophisticated.  The advent of Europeans, if anything, furthered their decline by arbitrarily laying down borders without regard for tribal claims - thus promoting internecine warfare - and by making the African dependent upon the European technology .
[/QUOTE]

I agree with you that certain tribes on the African Continent were remarkably sophisticated but don't agree that all had already peaked and declined before Europeans came onto the scene. The West African coast was still rockin', particularly the Kingdom of Benin, when the very first *white men* threw anchor off the coast. High ranking ambassadors of the kingdom there were first taken back as honored guests to see the sites of Europe. Give me some time and I'll get references.
"When you allow man's decisions to touch you, you have given away your God-given power,You have to say:"I don't recognize man as my maker or my keeper."Have faith in God and you will be rewarded."ESU
Boma View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2012 at 00:37
Originally posted by Ekundayo

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you that certain tribes on the African Continent were remarkably sophisticated but don't agree that all had already peaked and declined before Europeans came onto the scene. The West African coast was still rockin', particularly the Kingdom of Benin, when the very first *white men* threw anchor off the coast. High ranking ambassadors of the kingdom there were first taken back as honored guests to see the sites of Europe. Give me some time and I'll get references.
[/QUOTE]

Benin kingdom is not by the coast and the first Europeans that reached that part of Africa never met Benin immediately they arrived. Benin people  were naked and wearing no cloth. Benin people  never knew how to make fire.  And so eating raw food was a very primitive life style that could go for savagery. Before then, the Ogiso dynasty has been dethroned and the family chased out while the ones caught were sacrificed to the deity . It was the exiled Ogiso family that founded the present day people of Egbema in Rivers state, Degema also in Rivers state and the rest of the Epie Attisa  Ijaw clan of today were all parts of the Ogisso family and supporters of the Ogisso .. If they were not savages how come, even till these day, The Edo kingdom has not formerly tried to have any form of relationship  with  the Ogissos in diaspora .  Civilized people would see an AFRICAN wearing no shoes and try to make him live  and stay that way by telling him he looks good  while they troop to Africa and entertain themselves  with the primitive nature of the AFRICANS. Don't  continue  to  think Europeans of those days praised  what they saw in Benin kingdom when they met the first Benin people  because it was all flattery and mockery. Europeans were clothed  and even had electricity then while the Benin people  were naked with no knowledge of fire  so imagine  that. Benin only became popular when it was raided and almost destroyed due to the resistance of the Oba to give in. That history is supposed to be erased because the event was an insult. The Oba was forcefully removed and banished  by a Europeans paddled  by Ijaw fisher men who were the  people met  at the  coast.
Izon_Otu
Boma View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2012 at 00:49
Originally posted by Don Quixote

What do you mean, Arabization made it primitive? What about the Golden Age of Islam, with all the due astromonical, mathematical etc achieviements? What about all the Arabic universities in Timbuctu and the books left there from this time? What about Sufism, one of the great philosophical systems, it is Islamic, and it's not primitive by any standard.
I wouldn't defend a stance than Arabization lead to primitivism anyway.

Africans  knew Astronomy before ARABS invaded. At least the Pyramids of Egypt and Pyramids in Sudan are still there to prove. Astronomy has always been part of Africans. In my culture At least the early ways of counting days and seasons  was  by astronomy where the sun, moon and stars were used and still used today in the interior remote places.  Arabic University in Timbuktu only taught Islam and ARAB CULTURE and what are the achievements  ? The University never even taught medicine, shelter, basic way of planting crops.. It only brain washed the people and made them forget their own way of life and waste their time praying 5 times a day to some statue far away in the EAST which many of them do not even know about. That was the worst thing to happen to AFRICA.  It made AFRICANS forget about all the HERBS they used to know for treatment of sicknesses..

Izon_Otu
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2012 at 01:49

Sources on that?
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Ekundayo View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2012 at 02:34
Wow. All I can say is it seems someone's been smoking crack or something. I think I'll abandon this thread for good, maybe another thread won't be hijacked to rewrite history.
"When you allow man's decisions to touch you, you have given away your God-given power,You have to say:"I don't recognize man as my maker or my keeper."Have faith in God and you will be rewarded."ESU
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2012 at 08:44

Africans  knew Astronomy before ARABS invaded. At least the Pyramids of Egypt and Pyramids in Sudan are still there to prove. Astronomy has always been part of Africans. In my culture At least the early ways of counting days and seasons  was  by astronomy where the sun, moon and stars were used and still used today in the interior remote places.  Arabic University in Timbuktu only taught Islam and ARAB CULTURE and what are the achievements  ? The University never even taught medicine, shelter, basic way of planting crops.. It only brain washed the people and made them forget their own way of life and waste their time praying 5 times a day to some statue far away in the EAST which many of them do not even know about. That was the worst thing to happen to AFRICA.  It made AFRICANS forget about all the HERBS they used to know for treatment of sicknesses..

It's a very questionable that Ancient Egypt was an African civilization per se, Egypt was one of the most used migration corridors since like 60 000 BC, the ethnicities there were mixed with Near Eastern, not pure African; so I wouldn't claim it as African per se.

Besides, one achievement doesn't invalidate others. You may not like the Sufies and the university of Timbuctu, but your personal opinion doesn't invalidate it's value. BTW, the Arab medicine was on a very high level, using exactly herbs etc.

And then what is your excuse for the parts of Africa that Arabs never reached? If the Arabs are to blame for North Africa, what about the other parts of Africa, who was to blame there, little green people?

IMHO, this thread isn't a constructive one. One culture has the right to call other cultrures "savage", nor anyone has the excuse to blame other cultures for his own demise.

Edited by Don Quixote - 19-Oct-2012 at 08:46
Boma View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2012 at 01:33
Originally posted by Don Quixote

It's a very questionable that Ancient Egypt was an African civilization per se, Egypt was one of the most used migration corridors since like 60 000 BC, the ethnicities there were mixed with Near Eastern, not pure African; so I wouldn't claim it as African per se.

Besides, one achievement doesn't invalidate others. You may not like the Sufies and the university of Timbuctu, but your personal opinion doesn't invalidate it's value. BTW, the Arab medicine was on a very high level, using exactly herbs etc.

And then what is your excuse for the parts of Africa that Arabs never reached? If the Arabs are to blame for North Africa, what about the other parts of Africa, who was to blame there, little green people?

IMHO, this thread isn't a constructive one. One culture has the right to call other cultrures "savage", nor anyone has the excuse to blame other cultures for his own demise.

What is questionable  about that ? The Land continuity and the proximity of Nubia from ASwani  to Cairo and the Pyramids of Sudan  are clear evidence.. Even the Bible tells how Moses  ran south wards to the Land of Median and lived in the house of Jethro.. Median was Ethiopia..  Original Jews were themselves semites and semites  were exactly like  present day Somalians, Tuaregs or Fulanis. Ancient EGyptians  were SEMITIC . When the ARABS invaded  and destroyed it, the survivors  ran south wards  but were very few. The Continued to move South wards in scattered manner and were absorbed by different tribes.. The Culture   and language of ancient Egyptians is obvious in the language of Southern Nigerian Tribes.  The Pyramids  were not destroyed during the invasion cos the ARABS  never had the equipments fit for that. It was the Umayyad that finally destroyed it.  In the Southern Nigeria tribe of Ijaw many of their words  are pure Egyptian,,,,  Eg..  accord  or agreement in Ijaw   is  Aminini'm   which means I have agreed.. in ancient Egypt it is Amen..  The Title  Pharoah is actually pronounced  Ferou  and Ferou in Ijaw  language  is  great  Storm  or  wind.. And  In Ijaw people with etra   strength  are Hailed as  FEROU.. The  Deity of the Ijaw people  is called  ORU and in fact the Ijaws  are some times  referred to as ORU. ORU is what is spelt as  HORUS but pronounced as  HORU an Egyptian god.  The Sun in Ijaw is called IRUAH or Ruah. Rah or RUAH is said to be the SUN god of ancient Egypt.  Egyptians are actually called KEMET and the Ijaws are called KHEME  OTU. KHEME  actually means spirit being....  This  link has a a bit of this ..  http://destee.com/index.php?threads/a-spiritual-discourse-of-the-ijaw-of-nigeria.44218/
Izon_Otu
Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2012 at 03:32
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Sources on that?

This is a source dealing with mythology and spiritual practices and beliefs of the Ijo. And while interesting in and of itself. Not credible enough to sustain the statement I id' above.

Where are your academic sources based on Egyptology, Semitic Archaeology, Anthropology, Philology and Etymology? Who are your subject matter experts that can substantiate your statement? What noted historian subscribes to that generic identification of Ancient Egyptian survivors as cannibals versus the more commonly recognized view of cultural assimilation?

Without these to analyze.....your's appears only to be subjective revisonism.

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2012 at 03:45

Wow. All I can say is it seems someone's been smoking crack or something. I think I'll abandon this thread for good, maybe another thread won't be hijacked to rewrite history.

I can appreciate your countering viewpoints. And your reluctance and your frustration. But what is not necessary is the inference you make which is rudeness personified even in jest. We do not need that particular verbiage. As to whether you continue on the thread or not is your prerogative. As to hijacking...if you feel that's been done... then notify a Mod or the Admin-owner...PM...as per the CoC... they, not you, will make that determination.

As we do not need rudeness... we also do not need confrontational speech...innuendo or unsubstantiated sarcasm.....which are also a CoC violations.

I appreciate your passion in the subject and your determination in objective presentation. I am also satisfied you are capable of doing it without that noted above. I encourage you to continue with that understanding.

CV

S. T. Friedman

Ekundayo View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2012 at 04:19

I can appreciate your countering viewpoints. And your reluctance and your frustration. But what is not necessary is the inference you make which is rudeness personified even in jest. We do not need that particular verbiage. As to whether you continue on the thread or not is your prerogative. As to hijacking...if you feel that's been done... then notify a Mod or the Admin-owner...PM...as per the CoC... they, not you, will make that determination.

As we do not need rudeness... we also do not need confrontational speech...innuendo or unsubstantiated sarcasm.....which are also a CoC violations.

I appreciate your passion in the subject and your determination in objective presentation. I am also satisfied you are capable of doing it without that noted above. I encourage you to continue with that understanding.

CV

Inference? Just what was this *inference*? Innuendo? Well maybe it would have been better to say *someone has been hitting the nitrous*, *someone's getting too big for his britches*, *someone's sat down to dinner and not brought their fork*?? Yup. I'm just not suited to exchanging with people who refuse to post from or acknowledge academic sources. How about a ban on shouting in caps? That might clean things up a bit. Just way too serious in here and not fun. I'm out.
Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2012 at 04:34
The inference and innuendo were/are self explanatory and equates to rudeness and confrontational speech.
These type remarks usually degenerate into flame wars among members and I wont allow that. You don't like my appraisal, which was not even a warning, but merely  commentary-advice. Then take it to another Mod or the Admin-owner PM as per the Coc.

It is my prerogative to give such as a moderator whether you like it or not. Especially when the rhetoric is beyond the pale. And I, as a Moderator, percieved yours as such. Nor am I required to explain my actions as a Moderator; whether that action be comment-warning-suspenion or ban. That also is in the CoC.

I did as a courtsey to you. 

So goodbye then and good luck. If you reconsider we will be here.
CV

S. T. Friedman

Boma View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2012 at 08:17

Sources on that?

This is a source dealing with mythology and spiritual practices and beliefs of the Ijo. And while interesting in and of itself. Not credible enough to sustain the statement I id' above.

Where are your academic sources based on Egyptology, Semitic Archaeology, Anthropology, Philology and Etymology? Who are your subject matter experts that can substantiate your statement? What noted historian subscribes to that generic identification of Ancient Egyptian survivors as cannibals versus the more commonly recognized view of cultural assimilation?

This is one hidden fact out there the entire world is deprived of and it is being dogged out. Soon interest groups would go in to that proper and get all the anthropology, Etymology and things for the entire world to know.  Thank God for the internet and different Fora  where issues  are discussed and most of all Thank God for  All  empires  Forum where hidden  facts  are being revealed for people to know.  You are also free to make your own research on the matter.
Izon_Otu
Boma View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2012 at 08:22

Sources on that?

This is one hidden fact out there the entire world is deprived of and it is being dogged out. Soon interest groups would go in to that proper and get all the anthropology, Etymology and things for the entire world to know.  Thank God for the internet and different Fora  where issues  are discussed and most of all Thank God for  All  empires  Forum where hidden  facts  are being revealed for people to know.  You are also free to make your own research on the matter.

Is it not interesting that the world is eager to know about the ancient Civilization of Egypt and the  mummies  but are not really interested in know where possible  remnants of the Egyptians  would be ?  If this was deep in Europe or else where out side black people's environment like the Indians of AMERIA and things, traces of the people would have been found by now. . Invaders coming from the North of Egypt and the WEST of it would only make people flee down South and where there  are no natural barriers  people would have easy access to the thick AFRICAN forest to mingle with other  Natives. That was what happened. WHILE, The rest of them were wiped out.
Izon_Otu
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2012 at 09:04
I think some folks need to step back, take a few deep breaths, and do some basic reading.  Absurdity is running wild here.

If I come back to this thread and it hasn't calmed down and I still see racist overtones I will shut it down permanently.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Ekundayo View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2012 at 12:41
Originally posted by red clay

I think some folks need to step back, take a few deep breaths, and do some basic reading.  Absurdity is running wild here.

If I come back to this thread and it hasn't calmed down and I still see racist overtones I will shut it down permanently.

Hear Hear! I quite agree and think shutting this thread would be a great choice. It has not contributed in a way that would allow anyone from the outside to glean much of factual information. As per the *racist* overtones, don't go looking in my direction, my roots are in Motherland Nigeria...and no, am not a descendant of Egyptian cannibals.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2012 at 13:37
Racist is racist, it goes in any direction.

After a discussion with the Mod. staff this thread is closed.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234