Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Horned helmets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
fatimah View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote fatimah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horned helmets
    Posted: 28-Feb-2015 at 15:55
Can you please give more details about the pictures of helmets?
Date? museum? origin? style?
fatimah View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote fatimah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2015 at 15:52
Hi Dear 
I cant find this part in the book "people of the sea". can you please tell me which part or pages there are?
fatimah View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote fatimah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2015 at 15:49
Dear All
I cant find this part in the book "people of the sea". can you please tell me which pages there are?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2013 at 09:56
Originally posted by Muertexxxx

I have a helmet just like the one at the bottom of the page. The one I have has  chain mail on it.

Is it original or a replica?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Muertexxxx View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Muertexxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2012 at 12:14
I have a helmet just like the one at the bottom of the page. The one I have has  chain mail on it.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2011 at 19:35

When taking a deer as a trophy, hunters don't cut off its schlong and display it on their wall. They take its horns, partly because these don't rot and partly because they symbolise the beast's dominance over its peers (through both violence and sexual prowess)
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2011 at 17:37
I used to do a presentation at the School I last taught at. It was called It's true! I read it on the internet!"  I first designed it for the kids,  but after observing the teachers during the kid's session, I tuned it up some and we used it for an "In Service".

Not all of my information comes from the I net.  However, being selective as to what sites you rely on, and backing up your info via sites like Jstor.  [There are cheaper alternatives] can keep you out of trouble.
Fringie sites however, do have some merit. [note, I said merit, not credibility]  However ridiculous their explanations might sometimes be, they can often give you clues to the actuality.

The Skull has been studied for years.  It's real, not having an explanation for something doesn't make it a Hoax.  That skull is from Germany, I think.  Don't hold me to that, but somewhere in that gen. region.  I'm trying to find the artist's sketches of the skulls from Pa.  Similarity is striking.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Suspended, go back to historum

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2011 at 19:12
Originally posted by red clay

They didn't have pockets then, maybe that's where he kept his change?  TJ, the skull I posted is in the British Museum, and the old woman is just one of a hundred or so with the same structures.  I know, it's almost too weird to accept.

With all due respect, just being in a museum doesn't make it real. But, I see your point.
The shapes and forms the human body has and can make always amazed me into
jaw dropping wonderment.  I'm just skeptical as with the internet things cannot always
be counted upon to be true.Shocked
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2011 at 19:07
Originally posted by unclefred

How do you know he didn't have a big unit?

That's always another possibilityLOL
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2011 at 16:07
They didn't have pockets then, maybe that's where he kept his change?  TJ, the skull I posted is in the British Museum, and the old woman is just one of a hundred or so with the same structures.  I know, it's almost too weird to accept.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2011 at 21:33
How do you know he didn't have a big unit?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2011 at 19:06
As discussed in the other thread, i still find this report hard to believe. It's more likely horns were used because similar animals, like goats or oxen were physically strong and had a high sex-drive. Similar displays of virility were used in the medieval period when kings like Henry VIII wore oversized codpieces
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Suspended, go back to historum

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2011 at 17:26
It just looks too shopped to be true.
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2011 at 13:16

Since then it has grown 2.4in in length and another now appears to emerging on the other side of the mother of seven’s forehead.

Zhang Ruifang

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1256398/Chinese-grandmother-grows-devil-horns.html#ixzz1eSXxrsyA
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2011 at 11:19
Horns were once a symbol of Kingship, or power.  Alexander was depicted having horns on several coins minted during his reign.  Michaelangelo depicted moses with horns.  These ideas had to come from somewhere.

Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2011 at 19:07

Here's one of the few horned helmets still in existence, found at Waterloo Bridge and dating to around 150 BC. During the Dark Ages helmets of this type may well have been handed down as ceremonial headgear for chieftains chanelling the power of the Horned God, but lost or destroyed when the tribe was defeated and absorbed by a more powerful rival
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2011 at 21:32

Could ancient Germanic helmets have influenced the design of the WW1 Stahlhelm? These had horns which served as ventilation tubes and a mount for a protective face shield
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2011 at 07:35
It "greaves" me to say it but he was a very horny guy!

Edited by opuslola - 31-May-2011 at 07:36
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2011 at 07:05
Size matters...

Sardinia (ca. 10-8th century BC)

Star

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2011 at 15:58
I know, maybe one day I will get a special on that Cable TV channel either before or after "Real Sex?"

Perhaps we should become friends before I become a real star?

"Well want you come and see me in the movies? They are going to make a big star out of me!"

If Ringo could do it, why not me?

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>