Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Standards! Are they what we think?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Standards! Are they what we think?
    Posted: 04-Jul-2010 at 16:06
No, as far as I know, the depictions I wish you to see, come from books, and I have scanned those into my computer.

The above is a depiction of Saladin after the Battle of Horns, where he kills Guy, and accepts the resignation of the real King!

My question still exists, just why would any artist clothe a "Saracen" in the garments of a French King?

Note that Saladin is wearing a chest protector with the "fleur de Lis" apparent!

Since a lot of these old depictions are a "consolidated" depiction, then you will see differing points of view which are time related upon the same depiction! Thus, upon the above depiction, you will be able to see Saladin himself in the upper center of the depiction, cutting off the head of Guy!

Thus my question still remains, just why would any artist denote a "king" of the "saracens", as being from a royal house of France?

I would like to thank my step daughter for doing the above! Although I watched her do it, I still have no idea how she did it?

Edited by opuslola - 22-Jul-2010 at 14:20
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2010 at 19:26
As DreamWeaver prommoted, one needs a site that promotes realitY!

Therefor, I offer most all of you a site/sight that most men might never see!

Please note that this site shows a part of the female anatomy in the "blond" state that most all of us have never seen!

Warning to those of you who are under the age of 18! You must promise that the object soon to be exposed by the clicking of the following link, will likeley see some things that should only be seen by "Adults Only"

If you happen to have the pciture on a website or know where it is then you can always try using it as a hyper link instead fo people to go look at.

If you missed it, it is beccause I can find no way to legally post it here

Edited by opuslola - 04-Jul-2010 at 19:32
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2010 at 05:03
Saladin kills Reynaldd Chatillion after the battle of Hattin, not Guy, he goes on to found Lusignan Dynasty of Cyprus.

The simple answer for Saladin and the European style dress is artisitic tropes. It is simply the way one can depict Saladin. Familiarising him to the reader by such imagery and insinutating ideas of nobility etc. Saladin was a very popular figure amongst Christians in the Middle Ages.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2010 at 05:17

Example. Here we have apicture of the siege of Damietta. Christians in the bottom right and Muslims inside the city. Bothe depicted the as the same really. Simply aritstic style.

Here the siege of Rhodes by the Ottomans, the Knights of St. John depicted in an eastern fashion.

Battle of Hattin again both sides depicted in a veyr similar manner.

That the aritist chose to depict Saladin in a French style is not unsurprising, not is it a great mystery, it is merely the obvious and easily recognised manner in whicj to depict him.

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2010 at 14:10
Hey thanks for the correction! Indeed Reynauld de Chatillon and all of the Knights Templar and Hospitallier, were executed by Saladin or by his order!

The name "Guy", which is sometimes used to denote someone who acts like an idiot, was saved! Like "Guy" I was in a hurry to write, and acted like an idiot!

In the depiction shown with the heading "Battle of Hattin again both sides depicted in a very similar manner." It seems easy to identify Guy above, since only one figure is dressed in a white blouse, etc., embolden with a certain form of the Christian Cross!

Do you know in what manner these crosses were called?

Does your source indicate whether or not Saladin was identified in the above depiction? The only possibility I can extract, is the man wearing the "purple" wearing an orange turban who seems to be holding the left arm of Guy!

It also seems that the number of "banners" or "standards" seen flying in the background should make a good study all their own!

And just what is the armoured knight in the left foreground doing? It seems he is holding a beam or post and standing it or forcing it into another beam, etc.?

Thanks for the above views!

I still do not accept your explanation of such things as "artistic tropes!" Some of them, maybe, but not all!

Such as your explanation of the manner of dress, etc., of the Order of

St. Johns! Certainly this very "order" had been in the East for hundreds of years by the time this event happened! Is it by any great chance that they seemed to look "oriental?"

Oh! and as regards the seige of Daimettia, it could well be considered that a great deal of mercenaries fought here/there and they could well be dressed as mercs and identical on both sides!

Edited by opuslola - 05-Jul-2010 at 14:12
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2010 at 04:12
The man in the Left of the picture is man handling the True Cross I believe.

As far as Im aware there is no mention of Saladin in the pciture, but that is not to say the Man in the orange and purple certainly couldnt be him.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2010 at 04:47
Yes! I believe you are correct about the cross! You might even notice that it is made in the most simple manner. It appears the base pole, the one the knight is holding with both arms, appears to have been tapered to almost a point, and then inserted into a rough cut hole in the cross-piece!

A very crude exhibit when compared to most representations which are square notch fitted or topped, straight tees!

You might also notice the banner exhibited with a single chevron apparent!

I also cannot figure out what the knight wearing the orange frock is doing? You will notice a lance seemingly stuck in the helment of the downed knight at his feet. Is it the orange clad knight holding the lance or is it the knight with the scaled armour?

Regards,
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2010 at 09:32
The knight in orange appears to be in the up swing with his weapon about to bring it down onto the pink kinght at his feet. The chap next to him in the scaled armour, which I imagine is possibly a representation of some sort of Lamellar, is sticking him with some sort of polearm.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2010 at 16:34
Yes! I sort of see it! I was worried since I saw no golf club anywhere!

Quite a good back-swing, I think!
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2010 at 05:22
Probbaly using a putter for maximum effect
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2010 at 07:19
Originally posted by opuslola

Yes! I sort of see it! I was worried since I saw no golf club anywhere!

Quite a good back-swing, I think!

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who notices strange stuff like that.  To me, it looks like he's fully extended and is just releasing, as you would if you were in a well raked trap.  I also went looking for a club.Big smile

It's not as off mark as you might think,  Golf in one of it's early forms, dates to the late 1200's.  And yes, I'm aware that some sources put the beginning of Golf at 1552.  That's the approx. date of St. Andrews in Scotland.  Golf, however is much older.  I keep an eye out for any representation of the game in Medieval works.

Edited by red clay - 07-Jul-2010 at 07:41
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2010 at 10:28
Tomato Master, it appears that you also play golf! Good deal! I love to examine old representations like the ones displayed above! And in the above case, it does seem very important part of the depiction is missing! Very strange, I wonder if it at one time existed and was removed for some reason? But, it also seems the original depiction was larger, and we do not see the entirety of the painting.

Other old representations,well even one of those above, e.g., the one I managed to display, show multiple events in one panel. And in my representation you also see Saladin in the centre backgound dispatching Reynauld, and somewhat clumsily it seems!

Today, when a student sees most of these representations, I am afraid there is no mention of all of the activity shown within them. But, in the past it seems every one was expected to note each action and place it in the correct time, etc.!

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 07-Jul-2010 at 10:30
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2010 at 11:22
I actually worked at the Noble sport of FlogEmbarrassed I carried a B card for awhile, [Asst. Pro, mainly teaching] but mainly was involved in course maint. as Asst. Supt and later as Greens Supt.
Unfortunately, do to a serious injury I am no longer able to play.  However, I still maintain an avid interest in the evolution of the game and the equipment.

One important factor that's being overlooked, when dealing with Medieval artwork you must remember that 80% of the population was illiterate.  These paintings were frequently story line works.  Made to replace the written word.  Paintings were also used to advertise or commemorate important events. Many time these paintings were done by people who hadn't actually been there.  So you get things like Saladin shown in the raiment of a French king, as that may have been the most important person the artist had ever seen.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2010 at 16:08
I, at one time, held a 3 handicap! I also have a low score to my credit with a 63!, albeit on a short public course, where one improved ones lie, in the fairway! The par was 71!

But, to make things any funnier, I also shot a 90 one the same course within a few weeks!

Golf was to me, for a number of years, my only outlet!

Then later in life, I found that I could beat people at "words" where I could not beat them at golf!

Just where do we stand on that "score?"

Edited by opuslola - 17-Jul-2010 at 16:10
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2010 at 14:22
But, back to the above golf depiction, upon closer examination, it does seem that he has taken what could be called a very good golf swing with a spiked mace!

Nice extension of the left arm!, as well as a great shoulder turn!@

FORE!

Edited by opuslola - 22-Jul-2010 at 14:24
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2014 at 18:02
Notice to new viewers, the above posts are a few years old but they contain some good information.

Regards, Ron
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2014 at 19:55

No, as far as I know, the depictions I wish you to see, come from books, and I have scanned those into my computer.

The above is a depiction of Saladin after the Battle of Horns, where he kills Guy, and accepts the resignation of the real King!

My question still exists, just why would any artist clothe a "Saracen" in the garments of a French King?

Note that Saladin is wearing a chest protector with the "fleur de Lis" apparent!

Since a lot of these old depictions are a "consolidated" depiction, then you will see differing points of view which are time related upon the same depiction! Thus, upon the above depiction, you will be able to see Saladin himself in the upper center of the depiction, cutting off the head of Guy!

Thus my question still remains, just why would any artist denote a "king" of the "saracens", as being from a royal house of France?

I would like to thank my step daughter for doing the above! Although I watched her do it, I still have no idea how she did it?

Sidney! Here is one of them!

Ron
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2014 at 20:09

How do you explain a painting of Saladin wearing a vestment of "fleur de lis?"
How could any, and I mean, "any" old painter of any generation ever depict this figure wearing such vestments?
While I have no scanner to perform such a representation, and even if I did have one, I seem to be unable to do many things on this site that others of you do on a regular basis!
I do have the book, whereby, one can find said painting!

If necessary, I could even mail you the book, and you can look at it and post it yourself?
Or one of you could easily purchase said book for your self, at or thru, "Barnes & Noble!"
It can be seen on page 104 at, "Battles of the Crusades, 1097-1444"

Note, it refers to the events after the battle of Hattin!

Regards,

Hey, you're going off thread here, Saladins Fleur de Lis (or Trefoil perhaps) has nothing to do with Eagles and Crows. In Heraldry, the Eagle represents a "Person of noble nature, strength, bravery, and alertness; leadership; or one who is high-spirited, ingenious, quick-witted, and judicious; "True magnanimity and strength of mind" acc. to Guillim.
If wings "displayed," it signifies protection."
An entirely different representation of the Raven is "Divine providence", not particularly war like.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2014 at 23:33
toyomotor, are you suggesting that the "trefoil" and the "Fleur de Lis", are not a part and parcel of the art of heraldry?

You must either be mad or you hold some thing that you will now present to support your belief?

So, either support it or leave it along?

Ron
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2014 at 00:38

toyomotor, are you suggesting that the "trefoil" and the "Fleur de Lis", are not a part and parcel of the art of heraldry?
You must either be mad or you hold some thing that you will now present to support your belief?
So, either support it or leave it along?

Ron

Absolutely not! Of course the Trefoil and the Fleur De Lis are Heraldic symbols. The Fleur de Lis is described as meaning Purity; light; and is the floral badge of France; it also represents sixth son as mark of difference while the Trefoil means Perpetuity. I'm certainly not mad, but it is apparent that I know more about Heraldry than you do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>