Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What has made the Middle East important?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which one?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [10.00%]
26 [52.00%]
8 [16.00%]
4 [8.00%]
2 [4.00%]
3 [6.00%]
2 [4.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Rakhsh View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Rakhsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What has made the Middle East important?
    Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 08:19
come on Oil and past civilisations yes, but whjere are we now, puppets of economical super powers, so it is Oil till it runs out.
Never under estimate the predictablity of stupidity! - Bullet Tooth Tony
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 00:30

Sooorrrryy... I wanted to say Geographic Location but I voted none, could it be fixed? 

Anyway, yes I think the location is the reason, plus/in addition to the oil...

Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 22:54

I think religion of all things makes the Middle East the most important.  Its the birthplace of all Abrahamic Faiths.  Today's Western Dominated Governments are ofcourse after Oil to fuel their industrial ambitions, but that doesn't necessarily make the region important for people.

There are 1.5 Billion Muslims, Billions of Christians, and Millions of Jews who call this area the cradle of their civilizations and spiritual homes.  Jews and Muslims fight for a piece of this land, and Christians believe this is where Jesus will return. 

When I think of the Middle East, I think of Cradle of the Abrahamic Faiths, not Oil.

Olive branch irony: A weeping Palestinian woman embraces the trunk of an olive tree that was destroyed by Jewish settlers in the West Bank village of Salem. The settlers, who claim the land is theirs by biblical birthright, cut down or uprooted hundreds of the trees on Palestinian farms, according to reports from residents and Israeli police.

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Iranban View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Iranban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 08:10

Originally posted by Komnenos

I think the three most important factors for the importance of the Middle East are oil, oil and oil.

Haha...true...so true...

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 08:18

well oil is politically important but not for the people,

its history is what made it important NOT oil.

sedamoun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote sedamoun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 09:20

The Middle East's importance is due to a combination of things...

It is a holy site for all monotheistic religions.

It has always been a crossroad between Europe/Asia/Africa and the birthplace of civilization; hence its historical dimension (science, litterature, economy, politics...).

Geographic Location:

And of course, OIL.

Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 21:20
Oil is temporary need and importance, the Middle East will ALWAYS be a region of religious importance.
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 21:23

As much as I want to say Oil again, as much as it keeps you wondering why did France held Syrian and Lebanon after WWI and Britian held Egypt if they have no oil? Maybe strategic locations? Suez canal? what is in Syria?

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 15:46

The Middle East has a wide variety of cultures and religon, which I would love to say that it's the most important feature in the Middle East.

What has made the Middle East important?

Oil.

Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 19:29

It seems you guys have a mentality that Oil has made the Middle East important.  For how long has Oil made the Middle East important?  For how long has religion made the Middle East important.

I rest my case.

~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Super Goat (^_^) View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Super Goat (^_^) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 23:02
Indeed. The question shouldve asked about the importance of the region at a certain time period...

It'd be interesting to see what will happen when the oil runs out....i just hope it'll happen during my life time..
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2005 at 21:59

Even without Oil the Middle East will always be important.   History proved that.

~ Khushal Khan Khattak
shayan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote shayan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 14:05
OIL for the persian gulf area and for Turkey, Egypt  and in lesser form Iran the location.
Iran parast
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 11:36
After all, even before the presence and importance oil was founded, Middle East was still the most important region in the world. It is in the center position of this world and has many holy cities for different religions, and a rich culture coming from millenniums of years away.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 11:41
Originally posted by ok ge

As much as I want to say Oil again, as much as it keeps you wondering why did France held Syrian and Lebanon after WWI and Britian held Egypt if they have no oil? Maybe strategic locations? Suez canal? what is in Syria?

Well, Syria,Egypt and Lebanon still have some different resources other than oil,like agriculture, natural resources, mines,labor,markets etc..The aim of colonization was not just to find oil. But for Suez Canal, it was definitely for strategical purposes, as a shortcut connection from Mediterranean Sea to the Red Sea and the heart of the huge British Empire.Its control means the safety and control of other colonies in Asia,too, like India and it was the heart of English trade and economy too.

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Ariasarbaz View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Ariasarbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 16:21
Islamic states are the most corrupted countries.
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2006 at 17:03

Originally posted by Kapikulu

After all, even before the presence and importance oil was founded, Middle East was still the most important region in the world. It is in the center position of this world and has many holy cities for different religions, and a rich culture coming from millenniums of years away.

I agree. 

~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 07:46

Oil of course.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2006 at 13:46
Take the Midle East, you control the world. You can go into Europe, Asia, Africa. Thats what makes the place so important.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2006 at 04:58
Oil is irrelevent. It is tempory, has only been sought after for 100 years, and can be replaced.
Location, Religion, and History are what has made the Middle East important
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>