Print Page | Close Window

What has made the Middle East important?

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Post-Classical Middle East
Forum Discription: SW Asia, the Middle East and Islamic civilizations from 600s - 1900 AD
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2605
Printed Date: 13-May-2024 at 22:53
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What has made the Middle East important?
Posted By: Cyrus Shahmiri
Subject: What has made the Middle East important?
Date Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 12:34

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: dark_one
Date Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 13:18
 It is too much a single thing, so I wrote competition between the powers. It all started in the Cold War, the middle east was at first like Asia in terms of pro communist and pro capitalist states. Ultimately the capitalists got Israel as a foothold and it went from there. Oil is a factor now, but then it was their strategic location (just South of the USSR).

Posted By: hugoestr
Date Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 13:48
I think that oil is the big one. Without oil, foreign powers wouldn't be so interested in the region. It is the money from oil that keeps the dictatorships in the region strong.

-------------

Posted By: Komnenos
Date Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 13:52
I think the three most important factors for the importance of the Middle East are oil, oil and oil.

-------------
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">

Posted By: Gubook Janggoon
Date Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 13:57
I would love to say Islam, culture, and history..I really would...

But it's oil.

-------------

Posted By: Tobodai
Date Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 15:07
geographic location, its the only thing that really matters in the whole of human history...your location gives you your neighbors, your resources, and the type of culture you produce.  In the past the Middle East was importnat because it was both a crossroads and contianed mahor urban centers, now its oil, but both are connected to geographic location.

-------------
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 17:26
oil
And if the Middle East is out of oil, it will probably be completely ignored by the rest of the world, which is both a good and a bad thing. It will probably cut military spendings and foreign interventions, but at the same time the region will become very poor.

-------------

Posted By: Cyrus Shahmiri
Date Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 03:11
I think it was also an important region before discovering oil, wasn't it?

-------------

Posted By: Miller
Date Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 03:48
you missed Judaism in your list

Posted By: strategos
Date Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 16:07

Oil.

It will become more obscure but not forgoten, because of the ever present threat of terrorists and terrorism.

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 07:38

depends on which TIME you are talking about

it was important for thousands of years before Oil and Before Islam

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 14:40

I think mainly because of its history, and importance for all nations. The Western and Islamic civilizations were both created in middle east, and also because of some "Zionistic" ideas, these lands had been the most wanted lands for thousands of years.

Current civilizations are all formed in middle east. The first modern civilizations of our time, Sumerians and others were all in that region, Judaism and its another version, Christianity which are the main elements of western civilizations were found in middle east. Also Islam amd its culture is related to these lands. Ancient inheritances, knowledge, secret objects are all found in this region, and the most powerful people of the world, Zionist and other worldwide organizations supporting them all have a common goal of ruling all these areas under their rule. I also heard that George Bush, who is an Evangelist wants to repeat the victories of Alexander's victories by firstly conquering Babylon (Baghdad, Iraq) and then conquering Persia, Bactria and some parts of Sogdia (Iran and Turkic world). I think his mission isnt all about some oil.

All modern history is related to middle east. This region has its mystery and secret knowledge of thousands of years. I believe history and the ignorancy of people repeated itself until our time, but I wish it wont continiue until the end of the time.

People kill each other to own the deserts and empty mountains of this region. These lands are holy for all humanity and civilizations. But to me, I would say Northern Sogdiana lands are holy since our great fathers belonged there

-------------

Posted By: Tobodai
Date Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 16:39
what makes a scarp of dirt in the middle east more holy than a scrap of dirt in South America? Nothing.  Land is land and it is what it is regardless of whether some people regard it as holy or not.

-------------
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: Jhangora
Date Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 10:19
Geographic location n oil.

-------------
Jai Badri Vishal

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 11:22

I agree with Tobodoi, Geographic location account for all of those things.

-------------

Posted By: çok geç
Date Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 12:49

1- Currently Oil

2- geographical location: center between major continents andSuez Cannal

3- Holiness: birth and the dispute location of two global mega religions and three monothiest religions.

-------------
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.

Posted By: Super Goat (^_^)
Date Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 16:29
like the word mega religions.

importance in ancient times: location/ crossroads of civilizations. anyone in control of that region prety much dominated trading. those who couldnt do anything went around the cape lol

but now ....OIL OIL OIL yumy yummy OIL

Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 17:05
Geographical location. There's oil in other places and there are alterantives to oil consumption, and oil has not always been so important, but there's no such a geographic knot as the the Near/Middle East: between Africa, Europe and the two Asias (South and East), between the Mediterranean Sea and the Indic Ocean. There's no such a strategic region as this one: that well deserves the name of center of the Old World.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 18:46
Originally posted by çok geç

1- Currently Oil

2- geographical location: center between major continents andSuez Cannal

3- Holiness: birth and the dispute location of two global mega religions and three monothiest religions.

Me... really agree on this...

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 23:42
All of them.

But "Geographic Location" and "Historical Background" especially.

-------------

Posted By: Rakhsh
Date Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 08:19
come on Oil and past civilisations yes, but whjere are we now, puppets of economical super powers, so it is Oil till it runs out.

-------------
Never under estimate the predictablity of stupidity! - Bullet Tooth Tony

Date Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 00:30

Sooorrrryy... I wanted to say Geographic Location but I voted none, could it be fixed? 

Anyway, yes I think the location is the reason, plus/in addition to the oil...

-------------

Posted By: Afghanan
Date Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 22:54

I think religion of all things makes the Middle East the most important.  Its the birthplace of all Abrahamic Faiths.  Today's Western Dominated Governments are ofcourse after Oil to fuel their industrial ambitions, but that doesn't necessarily make the region important for people.

There are 1.5 Billion Muslims, Billions of Christians, and Millions of Jews who call this area the cradle of their civilizations and spiritual homes.  Jews and Muslims fight for a piece of this land, and Christians believe this is where Jesus will return. 

When I think of the Middle East, I think of Cradle of the Abrahamic Faiths, not Oil.

Olive branch irony: A weeping Palestinian woman embraces the trunk of an olive tree that was destroyed by Jewish settlers in the West Bank village of Salem. The settlers, who claim the land is theirs by biblical birthright, cut down or uprooted hundreds of the trees on Palestinian farms, according to reports from residents and Israeli police.

-------------
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak

Posted By: Iranban
Date Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 08:10

Originally posted by Komnenos

I think the three most important factors for the importance of the Middle East are oil, oil and oil.

Haha...true...so true...

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 08:18

well oil is politically important but not for the people,

its history is what made it important NOT oil.

-------------

Posted By: sedamoun
Date Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 09:20

The Middle East's importance is due to a combination of things...

It is a holy site for all monotheistic religions.

It has always been a crossroad between Europe/Asia/Africa and the birthplace of civilization; hence its historical dimension (science, litterature, economy, politics...).

Geographic Location:

And of course, OIL.

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 21:20
Oil is temporary need and importance, the Middle East will ALWAYS be a region of religious importance.

-------------
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak

Posted By: çok geç
Date Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 21:23

As much as I want to say Oil again, as much as it keeps you wondering why did France held Syrian and Lebanon after WWI and Britian held Egypt if they have no oil? Maybe strategic locations? Suez canal? what is in Syria?

-------------
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.

Posted By: Jay.
Date Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 15:46

The Middle East has a wide variety of cultures and religon, which I would love to say that it's the most important feature in the Middle East.

What has made the Middle East important?

Oil.

-------------
Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb

Date Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 19:29

It seems you guys have a mentality that Oil has made the Middle East important.  For how long has Oil made the Middle East important?  For how long has religion made the Middle East important.

I rest my case.

-------------
~ Khushal Khan Khattak

Posted By: Super Goat (^_^)
Date Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 23:02
Indeed. The question shouldve asked about the importance of the region at a certain time period...

It'd be interesting to see what will happen when the oil runs out....i just hope it'll happen during my life time..

Date Posted: 04-Dec-2005 at 21:59

Even without Oil the Middle East will always be important.   History proved that.

-------------
~ Khushal Khan Khattak

Posted By: shayan
Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 14:05
OIL for the persian gulf area and for Turkey, Egypt  and in lesser form Iran the location.

-------------
Iran parast

Posted By: Kapikulu
Date Posted: 08-May-2006 at 11:36
After all, even before the presence and importance oil was founded, Middle East was still the most important region in the world. It is in the center position of this world and has many holy cities for different religions, and a rich culture coming from millenniums of years away.

-------------
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli

Posted By: Kapikulu
Date Posted: 08-May-2006 at 11:41
Originally posted by çok geç

As much as I want to say Oil again, as much as it keeps you wondering why did France held Syrian and Lebanon after WWI and Britian held Egypt if they have no oil? Maybe strategic locations? Suez canal? what is in Syria?

Well, Syria,Egypt and Lebanon still have some different resources other than oil,like agriculture, natural resources, mines,labor,markets etc..The aim of colonization was not just to find oil. But for Suez Canal, it was definitely for strategical purposes, as a shortcut connection from Mediterranean Sea to the Red Sea and the heart of the huge British Empire.Its control means the safety and control of other colonies in Asia,too, like India and it was the heart of English trade and economy too.

-------------
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli

Posted By: Ariasarbaz
Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 16:21
Islamic states are the most corrupted countries.

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 17:03

Originally posted by Kapikulu

After all, even before the presence and importance oil was founded, Middle East was still the most important region in the world. It is in the center position of this world and has many holy cities for different religions, and a rich culture coming from millenniums of years away.

I agree. 

-------------
~ Khushal Khan Khattak

Date Posted: 18-May-2006 at 07:46

Oil of course.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-May-2006 at 13:46
Take the Midle East, you control the world. You can go into Europe, Asia, Africa. Thats what makes the place so important.

-------------

Posted By: Omar al Hashim
Date Posted: 23-May-2006 at 04:58
Oil is irrelevent. It is tempory, has only been sought after for 100 years, and can be replaced.
Location, Religion, and History are what has made the Middle East important

-------------

Posted By: kingofmazanderan
Date Posted: 31-May-2006 at 16:11
Ariasarbaz i disagree, African countries match in corruption

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com