Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What has made the Middle East important?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which one?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [10.00%]
26 [52.00%]
8 [16.00%]
4 [8.00%]
2 [4.00%]
3 [6.00%]
2 [4.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What has made the Middle East important?
    Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 12:34
dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote dark_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 13:18
 It is too much a single thing, so I wrote competition between the powers. It all started in the Cold War, the middle east was at first like Asia in terms of pro communist and pro capitalist states. Ultimately the capitalists got Israel as a foothold and it went from there. Oil is a factor now, but then it was their strategic location (just South of the USSR).
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 13:48
I think that oil is the big one. Without oil, foreign powers wouldn't be so interested in the region. It is the money from oil that keeps the dictatorships in the region strong.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 13:52
I think the three most important factors for the importance of the Middle East are oil, oil and oil.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 13:57
I would love to say Islam, culture, and history..I really would...

But it's oil.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 15:07
geographic location, its the only thing that really matters in the whole of human history...your location gives you your neighbors, your resources, and the type of culture you produce.  In the past the Middle East was importnat because it was both a crossroads and contianed mahor urban centers, now its oil, but both are connected to geographic location.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 17:26
oil
And if the Middle East is out of oil, it will probably be completely ignored by the rest of the world, which is both a good and a bad thing. It will probably cut military spendings and foreign interventions, but at the same time the region will become very poor.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 03:11
I think it was also an important region before discovering oil, wasn't it?
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 03:48
you missed Judaism in your list

strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 16:07

Oil.

It will become more obscure but not forgoten, because of the ever present threat of terrorists and terrorism.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 07:38

depends on which TIME you are talking about

it was important for thousands of years before Oil and Before Islam

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 14:40

I think mainly because of its history, and importance for all nations. The Western and Islamic civilizations were both created in middle east, and also because of some "Zionistic" ideas, these lands had been the most wanted lands for thousands of years.

Current civilizations are all formed in middle east. The first modern civilizations of our time, Sumerians and others were all in that region, Judaism and its another version, Christianity which are the main elements of western civilizations were found in middle east. Also Islam amd its culture is related to these lands. Ancient inheritances, knowledge, secret objects are all found in this region, and the most powerful people of the world, Zionist and other worldwide organizations supporting them all have a common goal of ruling all these areas under their rule. I also heard that George Bush, who is an Evangelist wants to repeat the victories of Alexander's victories by firstly conquering Babylon (Baghdad, Iraq) and then conquering Persia, Bactria and some parts of Sogdia (Iran and Turkic world). I think his mission isnt all about some oil.

All modern history is related to middle east. This region has its mystery and secret knowledge of thousands of years. I believe history and the ignorancy of people repeated itself until our time, but I wish it wont continiue until the end of the time.

People kill each other to own the deserts and empty mountains of this region. These lands are holy for all humanity and civilizations. But to me, I would say Northern Sogdiana lands are holy since our great fathers belonged there

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 16:39
what makes a scarp of dirt in the middle east more holy than a scrap of dirt in South America? Nothing.  Land is land and it is what it is regardless of whether some people regard it as holy or not.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 10:19
Geographic location n oil.
Jai Badri Vishal
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 11:22

I agree with Tobodoi, Geographic location account for all of those things.

Edited by Zagros
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 12:49

1- Currently Oil

2- geographical location: center between major continents andSuez Cannal

3- Holiness: birth and the dispute location of two global mega religions and three monothiest religions.

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Super Goat (^_^) View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Super Goat (^_^) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 16:29
like the word mega religions.

importance in ancient times: location/ crossroads of civilizations. anyone in control of that region prety much dominated trading. those who couldnt do anything went around the cape lol

but now ....OIL OIL OIL yumy yummy OIL
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 17:05
Geographical location. There's oil in other places and there are alterantives to oil consumption, and oil has not always been so important, but there's no such a geographic knot as the the Near/Middle East: between Africa, Europe and the two Asias (South and East), between the Mediterranean Sea and the Indic Ocean. There's no such a strategic region as this one: that well deserves the name of center of the Old World.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 18:46
Originally posted by ok ge

1- Currently Oil

2- geographical location: center between major continents andSuez Cannal

3- Holiness: birth and the dispute location of two global mega religions and three monothiest religions.

Me... really agree on this...

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 23:42
All of them.

But "Geographic Location" and "Historical Background" especially.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>