Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Uyghur-Chinese relations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
dick View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uyghur-Chinese relations
    Posted: 03-Feb-2009 at 09:56
Just a little example.

Nadira - Hasret Çektim نادىرە ھەسرەت چەكتىم

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_XZbGmnOylM

Hasret Chektim

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fN7A7Yix4oE&feature=related

Same song, one sung in Turkey one in Eastern Turkistan/Xinjian.

There are similar and same instruments used, similar musical traditions and so on, claiming their is no resemblance is incorrect.

There are bound to have some influence in virtually anything. Even Chinese Pi pa came from central Asia, but the crux of the issue here is whether the Uighur and Turkish similarities are greater than Sino-Japanese-Korean similarities, since most aspect of traditional Japanese and Korean culture has traits of Chinese influence as well. While many modern Chinese cultural elements has Japanese influence. You also seem to be comparing traditional culture, if that was the case, Japan and China would be even more similar. But modern Turkish culture is quite different from modern Uighur culture because the Uighurs aren't as modernized.

Language, religion, identity, culture etc are the factors which differentiate groups of human societies called nations, without them were all simply humans, therefore if were discussing ethnics or nations characteristics these are the important factors. Otherwise, were all pretty much the same and their is no point of further discussion..

The concept of modern nation is a European definition, a notion which even the Europeans themselves are slowly starting to abandon. Ancient East Asia did not follow any of that. Take the Koreans for example, despite the modern fuss about altaic origin by some ultranationalists today, ancient Koreans would feel ridiculous at such a categorization, if not outright offensive. Koreans of the 17th century felt far closer to the Chinese than to the Manchus or Mongols, when the Ming fell, the Koreans even started to call themselves "little Chinese civilization" and thought that they are the only ones who inherited Chinese culture.

Japanese also have Shintoism, Chinese have Taoism and being non-religous isn't a shared belief.

Religion can be so important that nations can be divided, like in Ireland.

It can be one of the factor which influence a peoples culture or identity as it can have effect on how society does certain things.

Shinto only makes up 11% of the Japanese population. Most Japanese and Chinese are none-religious, followed by Buddhism as the major religion.

You also need to have some grasp of the view of religion shared by East Asian countries, which is very different from the western ones(Islamic countries included). In the East, religion is not that important, at least to the central of focus in the west. A survey showed that for every second person religion has no importance at all in everyday life, for 38% it is a little bit important, and for only 12% it is either important or very important. 40% of the Japanese Christians indicated that religion is important or very important for them in everyday life, while for majorities of Buddhists and Shintoists religion has only a little importance in daily life. The same is true of China.

Nor is religion exclusive, one could easily be both Buddhist and shinto or Buddhist and Daoist. And many people who follow regular buddhist and ancestral worship rituals in both China and Japan would consider themselves none-religious. So all surveys on religion in the western manner is problematic. The only differences between Chinese and Japanese religion is that the traditional folk gods are different, but we also need to realize that in different locations within China and Japan the gods that were worship is different from other native locations as well. In another word, the religious mentality in China and Japan is actually very similar.

So you can understand Japanese can you.

(I actually can understand Japanese because I studied it), and can you understand Uighur?
I can read lots of Japanese characters even before I learned the language. 

When you learn the language then you decide for yourself, there is a degree of mutual intellegibility between the two, if you knew either language you could get by in the other country, now I'm not saying they would be 100% fluent but would know enough to not be alienated and within a relatively short amount of time be more or less fluent after adjusting to the lexical differences.

You can say the same about Chinese, when before I studied Japanese, I was able to get around Japan fine too by reading the signs.

Atheism is not a shared religous tradition.
Japanese and Chinese lack the fundamental basics which unite ethnic groups, language, religion and they don't identify or have sympathies as being distant relatives either.

No, Chinese and Japanese athiesm is a shared religious mentality while buddhism IS a shared tradition. In fact most Japanese buddhist schools like the Zen and Tiantai are based on Chinese schools rather than Indian ones.

Basically, "you" believe Chinese and Japanese are virtually the same, that's fine, nationhood can be subjective but if we look at what can be discussed objectively, like language, religion and so on they are not as close as you make out.

Thats not what I believe at all. I am merely questioning the notion that Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese are not as close to each other as the Uighurs and the Turks.

Edited by dick - 03-Feb-2009 at 14:01
dick View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2009 at 10:33
Originally posted by dick

Meaningless comment, since Chinese don't understand hiragana and katakana. Yes, Japanese adopted Chinese characters, so did other Asian nations. We can't however say based on this only that they are closer to each other than Uighurs to Turks.

This question is directly addressing your comment that Uighurs and Turkish script today have similarities because they both use alphabets dervied from the Latin alphabets, so I told you that the Japanese alphabet also derived from Kanji characters. Its not meaningless, its attacking your double standard. However, Uighur and Turkish scripts are very different while at least the Kanji element is shared and understood by both the Chinese and Japanese, hence I can say that the Chinese and Japanese script are closer to each other than Uighur and Turkish script.

Well. Are you talking about the Ancient Uighur script? It hasn't been used by Uighurs for more than a millenium. If you want to talk about the historical past, however, both Uighurs and Turks used Arabic script until very recently and a modern Uighur latic script is very close to Turkish script. And, please make some research about modern Uighurs alphabets before claiming it's far from being mutually comprehensive with a modern Turkish alpahabet.

I think you are the one that needs to do some research on Uighur scripts today. The primary script of the Uighurs today is still the one based on the Arabic alphabet(only the alphabet, not the script) used since the 13th century(prior to that they used the old Uighur script) not the Latin script. The Latin script was just a creation of the PRC for phonetic purposes, created in 1976, in 1982, the Xinjiang authority decided that the Latin script was only to be used as an auxiliar to the actual Uighur script. So the Uighur Latin script is really just a Uighur version of the Han Chinese, Hanyu Pin yin, not the primary script. The Turks on the other hand completely use the Latin script as the primary script.

And if you do want to talk about the historical past, I should also remind you that Japanese also used Chinese scripts in its entirety in the very beginning. Hiragana and Katakana is only an invention of the 9th century. 

Yeah, I lived there and I'm telling from my experience. Shanghai isn't like Tokyo at all except that both cities are very big. And although Japanese popular culture is very popular in the East Asia it doesn't influence Chinese so fully as you claim. Some Chinese like American pop culture very much as well. It doesn't make them culturally Americans.

Japanese and Korean culture are more influential than American ones in China, that is verified through a recent statistical research. And I also need to remind you that many Japanese like American pop as well. So the two countries still share the similarity of picking up American pop culture.

"Modern clothing" all come from the West. And it's weared by all: Uighurs and Turks, Chinese and Japanese. Although Kimino is modeled on Tang clothings it doesn't meant that more recent Chinese traditional clothing are very close to Japanese.
Your picture shows nothing of a traditional Uighur costume. The boys are just wearing typical western shirts and skullcaps. Some people in rural areas of Turkey wear similar skullcaps even Chinese muslims wear them. So, you are actually proving that I'm right.

Modern fashion is not completely the same thing, there are still a variety of styles within these clothes. And most East Asian countries adopt the Japanese style primarily, although it must be admitted that the American influence is great too. Yet the origin is irrelevant to the fact that they are the same, while the Uighurs, do to their less modernized environment, is starting to be more and more different from the Turks.

Perhaps, even if you lived there, you spent most of your time communicatting with the expats in English and showing zero interest in local culture, that's why it's still so hard for you to draw the lines between these peole. As for me, I did live in Taiwan and China and I traveled to Japan as well. I am fluent in Chinese language and graduated from graduate school there. And, honestly, for a person who has similar experience it's not difficult to distinguish between a Japanese and a Chinese. The way, that Japanese people behave is different from Chinese. So, sorry, but I don't trust you at all.

lol, I AM an American born Japanese-Chinese(half-half). So I am far more qualified to tell you how we look than you do. I my first language is both Chinese and English, and picked up Japanese later as well), lived in China for 5 years, and lived in Japan for 2. The fact of the matter is, its impossible most of the time to tell the difference between the two people by mere appearance.

Yes, perhaps when if is a very "Mongoloid" Uighur he looks differently from an averarge Turk. But it's not always the case at all. And if you want to see the pictures. Please review the thread from the very beginning. Some members posted pictures of Uighur people that look very similar to Turks.

Wait, I don't care about some Uighurs, I care about the Majority, the fact of the matter is the Chinese and Japanese look far closer to each other than Uighurs and Turks do.

This comment by alone shows how few you really know about the "sympathies" between Japanese and Chinese. Especially, about Japanese "pan-Asiatic" race. Anybody can prove you wrong by asking any Chinese from PRC about how deep his "sympathy" is to the "Great Japanese Empire" and "pan-Asiatic race.".

No, I think its you who need a history lesson. Whatever came out of modern PRC's anti-Japanese education, it doesn't change the fact that the ancient relation was very friendly. The original Japanese during the 5th century even claimed to be descended from the Wu kingdom of China. Anti-Japanese sentiment only really started in 1915, when Japan imposed the 21 demands. Prior to that Japan was the model which China followed. Even the Chinese revolution of 1911's organization, the Tong Meng Hui, was established IN Japan. As for the Pan-Asiatic race been bull, I need to remind you that many people, Chinese and Japanese, did actually buy into it. Look up a biography of Wang Jing Wei, and it'll tell you that he thought that Asia should unite against the Western white race, since the later is the real threat. 

Edited by dick - 03-Feb-2009 at 12:04
dick View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2009 at 11:59
Originally posted by calvo

Dick,

I have travelled in China, and I also have Chinese friends, but I haven't personally known many Japanese except on a very superficial level.

At least the impression I get through my Chinese friends is that they certainly DO NOT feel any type of pan-Asian solidarity with ANY other Asian nation, and CERTAINLY NOT with the Japanese.
Hostilities between China and Japan isn't something post-80s, but something that started in the late 19th century when Japan started invading China. Among all the colonial powers dividing up China in the early 20th century, Japan was the most brutal, who carried out "ethnic cleansing" in Manchuria not too dsimilar to what the German nazis did to the Jews.
It took the Chinese 8 years to expell the Japanese, and hatred still remains.

The "pan Asian race" was nothing but a fascist political slogan used by Japan for expansion purposes, similar to Hitler's "pan Aryan race". Few Asian nations fell for it.

If you call a Chinese person "Japanese" he would get VERY offended. This however, does not happen when you call a Uighur "Turkish"; because he does feel part of the greater Turkic cultural identity.

Who ever said Chinese today feel that way? My whole point is that identities are constructive and depends on the conditions of the time, ancient Japanese and Koreans considered themselves to be of the same origin as Chinese in lenged, so did the Xianbei and Xiongnu of the 16 kingdom period. Thats because China was strong at the time and culturally appealing, the whole Pan-anything we have today is due to modern constructions and needs, and will most likely dissappear in the future when the economic and political environment changes. Who said that language, or even ethnic group, mean the feeling of unity? The Taiwanese are the same ethnic group as the Mainland Chinese, but many of them don't feel unity because they are economically and politically different. Thats enough to debunk any claim that ethnicity alone calls for unity. There are already speculations and books written about a possible AU economic system, it might well be carried out in the future.
dick View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2009 at 12:02

Edited by dick - 03-Feb-2009 at 12:03
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2009 at 13:45
Dick
There are bound to have some influence in virtually anything.

A very weak argument.
I just game a basic example highlighting similarities, your just avoiding it because it conflicts with your views.

Dick
hence I can say that the Chinese and Japanese script are closer to each other than Uighur and Turkish script.

This is an obsurd argument.

You do realise the difference between a "script" and "language"? a language can be written in any script. For example Ozbekistan and Eastern Turkistan/Xinjiang Turkic is the same however during the Soviet era one used Cryllic one used Latin and Arabic script.

Chinese and Japanese having a close script does not show closeness, unless you think people in Peru and New Zealand are ethnic brothers because they both use a similar script.

Dick
I need to remind you that many people, Chinese and Japanese, did actually buy into it. Look up a biography of Wang Jing Wei, and it'll tell you that he thought that Asia should unite against the Western white race, since the later is the real threat.

Did you buy into it aswell Confused

Calvo summed it up Dick.

Calvo
If you call a Chinese person "Japanese" he would get VERY offended. This however, does not happen when you call a Uighur "Turkish"; because he does feel part of the greater Turkic cultural identity.

Edited by Bulldog - 03-Feb-2009 at 13:48
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

dick View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2009 at 14:19

A very weak argument.
I just game a basic example highlighting similarities, your just avoiding it because it conflicts with your views.

Its not weak since it is completely relevent to the topic.  You still haven't shown how Uighurs are closer to the Turks than the Japanese and Koreans are to the Chinese.

This is an obsurd argument.

You do realise the difference between a "script" and "language"? a language can be written in any script. For example Ozbekistan and Eastern Turkistan/Xinjiang Turkic is the same however during the Soviet era one used Cryllic one used Latin and Arabic script.

Chinese and Japanese having a close script does not show closeness, unless you think people in Peru and New Zealand are ethnic brothers because they both use a similar script. 

Its not absurd at all. And your samples are weak and shows that you do not understand some basic theories of script. The Uighurs did not use either the Latin or the Arabic script. They merely used their alphabet, which is very different from adopting the script. The alphabet is a mere tool for pronounciation, the Japanese hiragana is also based on the pronounciation of Chinese Kanji. By only adopting their alphabet, it means that you can only read that script but you won't understand a word of it. Thats different in the case of Kanji, their meanings are mutually comprehensible for the most part(there are exceptions).

By claiming language as more important than script, you are imposing a very western centric view of East Asia which is downright misleading. In Asia, its the script which unifies the people, not the language. Its the Chinese script that unified the empires of China and kept its central bureaucracy together, not the language, since all Chinese people spoke a different dialect.

unless you think people in Peru and New Zealand are ethnic brothers because they both use a similar script.  

Thats a strawman argument. There are many other factors that separates people from Peru and New Zealand, not just the script; the script is but ONE aspect of similarity, and the same can be said for language. I can also use your own argument against you; if language family is what you consider to determine unity then you are also telling me that people from Peru are ethnic brothers with the Italians since they both speak Romance languages?

Did you buy into it aswell Confused

No, I'm merely describing a historical factSmile

Edited by dick - 03-Feb-2009 at 14:32
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2009 at 14:55

There is one curious thing that I have noticed: this so-called pan-Asian identity exists somewhat more among Asian-Americans in the USA and in Asia itself. Chinese, Japanese, Vietanamese, and Philipinos are grouped together as "Asian" in the USA, therefore they feel a certain degree of solidarity; the same way that Anglo, Italian, and Russian Americans are all grouped together as "white". I've known a few Chinese Americans and Filipino Americans who feel part of this "Asian" community.

In Asia itself I don't think that this Asian solidarity really exists. Most of the Chinese people I met in Spain do not feel any connections nor kinship to other Asian nationalities. The Japanese, in fact, are the nationality that they despise the most because of the atrocities of WWII. I don't think the anti-Japanese sentiment is really a creation of the Communist Party. Many of these Chinese I've met say that it's their grandparents who are the die-hard "anti-Japps" because they still have the memory of the genocide committed by the Japanese in China.

I just had a check on "Wang Jin Wei". He was considered by the Chinese as a traitor; and his political posture was very marginal at the time: probably similar to the Vichy regime in France who collaborated with the Nazis.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2009 at 15:51
Dick
You still haven't shown how Uighurs are closer to the Turks than the Japanese and Koreans are to the Chinese.

Let's look at this objetively, without "our" personal opinions blurring our vision.

People in Turkey and Uygur regions share;

- Common language group
 - Common religion
 - Common Turkic heritage

However, Chinese, Koreans and Chinese, don't share the same language, do not have a common supra-identity ie they arn't all branches of the Chinese or Japanese or Korean nation and they have various religions although their are common religous beliefs as well.

Korean infact is sometimes classified as being "Altaic", now this is contraversial and Japanese being Altaic is even more contraversial, however, it shows that they don't have a common linguistic root with Chinese.

Dick
By claiming language as more important than script, you are imposing a very western centric view of East Asia which is downright misleading. In Asia, its the script which unifies the people, not the language.

Have you got a problem with the West? all you do is blame them for everything.

Its not misleading, its pretty simple, you can write a language in any script, its language which unifies people not a script, otherwise Colombians and Australians would be the same.

Dick
if language family is what you consider to determine unity then you are also telling me that people from Peru are ethnic brothers with the Italians since they both speak Romance languages?

Well from a linguistic point of view they have more in common than Japanese, Korean and Chinese do.

Calvo
There is one curious thing that I have noticed: this so-called pan-Asian identity exists somewhat more among Asian-Americans in the USA and in Asia itself. Chinese, Japanese, Vietanamese, and Philipinos are grouped together as "Asian" in the USA, therefore they feel a certain degree of solidarity; the same way that Anglo, Italian, and Russian Americans are all grouped together as "white". I've known a few Chinese Americans and Filipino Americans who feel part of this "Asian" community.

This describes what's going on in this post. After a few generations, when alot of the cultural traits dissapear and all East-Asians are lumped together, they identify more with each other as they're from the same region and look quite similar.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2009 at 15:58

lol, I AM an American born Japanese-Chinese(half-half). So I am far more qualified to tell you how we look than you do. I my first language is both Chinese and English, and picked up Japanese later as well), lived in China for 5 years, and lived in Japan for 2. The fact of the matter is, its impossible most of the time to tell the difference between the two people by mere appearance.

You're lying. Never a person whose first language is Chinese would call Chinese characters "kanji."

Even if you're an Asian-American, you first language is English. It's true that most of the young Asian Americans can't speak the languages of their ancestors.

And don't brag about how many years you lived there. I met people who have been living there for 20 years and speak not a word of a language.

Finally, Asian-Americans look different from real Asians from China and Japan. They look "American." It's also actually very easy to see whether a person is a Chinese or Japanese-American or China-Chinese or Japan-Japanese.

So, indeed, if you want to distinguish between Asian-Americans in the US and Canada; it would be some times very hard to say.

But if you see a person raised in Japan and compare it to a person raised in China the differnce is more then obvious. The environment has a great influence on the outlook and behavoir of the person.
Σαυρομάτης
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 05:39

I am merely questioning the notion that Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese are not as close to each other as the Uighurs and the Turks.

Chinese Japanese & Koreans are closer to each other than China's Islamic Uighurs and Turkish people.

I've worked with a native Turk for over 10 years,she and husband have " Mediterranean " looks oppose to more " Central-Asian " looking Chinese Uighurs.

I think modern day Turks are a mixed people,a small percentage can trace roots to ancient Central Asia.

Edited by pebbles - 07-Feb-2009 at 05:42
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 06:38
Many people wouldn't agree with you. But in any case, we are not discussing here the closeness based on the outlook only.
Σαυρομάτης
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 10:41

Regarding ethnic or genetic relatedness,it can be a bias has aspects that reflect cultural/social/historical currents.LOL

Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 10:48
Originally posted by pebbles

I am merely questioning the notion that Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese are not as close to each other as the Uighurs and the Turks.

Chinese Japanese & Koreans are closer to each other than China's Islamic Uighurs and Turkish people.

I've worked with a native Turk for over 10 years,she and husband have " Mediterranean " looks oppose to more " Central-Asian " looking Chinese Uighurs.

I think modern day Turks are a mixed people,a small percentage can trace roots to ancient Central Asia.

Like all nations
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 11:48

Regarding ethnic or genetic relatedness,it can be a bias has aspects that reflect cultural/social/historical currents.LOL

"ethnicity" is defined mainly by cultural and linguistic heritage, rather than physical appearance. If physical appearance defined ethnicity, then you could argue that Greeks, Turks, Bulgarians, Georgians, Chechens, Syrians, and Armenians and closely related ethnicities.... and I'm sure that most people from these nationalities will strongly disagree with you, if not feel deeply offended.

Many people confuse the term "ethnic group" and "race", which have rather different meaning.
If Uighurs, Kazakhs, Turkmen, and Anatolian Turks all speak similar language and profess the same religion, they are certainly related some way.

Sometimes I reckon that the difference between Chinese and Japanese could be compared to Spain and Morocco. They 2 cultures have influenced each other in the past, but basis of their foundation is completely different.

pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 12:12

If Uighurs, Kazakhs, Turkmen, and Anatolian Turks all speak similar language and profess the same religion, they are certainly related some way.

Of-course,on mutual ancestry by percentage but not overall general population  LOL

White-Americans and European nationalities are centainly related in this regard but the other 35%-40% non-European origins of US population aren't.LOL

By the way,foundation of Japanese civilization was " Chinese origin " including their engrained concept of Harmony 以和爲貴.LOL

Shotoku's Seventeen-Article Constitution [Jushichijo Kenpo] 十七条憲法 LOL

Edited by pebbles - 07-Feb-2009 at 12:32
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 15:18

I don't think that the founding population of Japan had its roots in China

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_people#Origins

The common origin of the Turkic people, from Uighurs to the Anatolian Turks, is historically very established. They all originated from the Gokturk Khanate in the 6th-8th century; and they shared their origins in pastoral nomadism.

As far as I know, historical migrations between China and Japan had been very scarce, mainly due to the turbulent sea that divides them.

Anyway, my point is that common ancestry isn't the only factor that determines ethnic relativeness. All example. the Spanish and Italians often feel "ethnically close" due to similar language and customs and the common "Latin identity"; yet very few Spaniards alive today descend from migrations from Roman Italy. The Roman occupation imposed a cultural assimilation process rather than a population replacement.

The same could be applied to North Africa. The number of Arabs that invaded from the Middle East was very few compared to the native populations; yet when the native population adopted the customs and religion of the invaders, they gradually began to identify themselves as "Arabs".

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 15:49
I believe pebbles didn't mean the foundation as the people that inhabited Japan. What he meant by the foundation is that there is a Confucian principle in the core of the Japanese culture/civilization 以和爲貴 which can be roughly translated from Chinese as "Harmony as the most precious, "important" (thing.)" In other words, the roots of the Japanese civilization lay in China.

However, regardless of this, Turks and Uyghurs are still closer to each other than Chinese and Japanese because besides the civilizational values they know of their linguistic, historical and genetic connection which is absent in the Chinese-Japanese case.
Σαυρομάτης
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 16:49
Pebbles

What people arn't mixed?
Albert Pine

pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 18:52

The common origin of the Turkic people, from Uighurs to the Anatolian Turks, is historically very established. They all originated from the Gokturk Khanate in the 6th-8th century; and they shared their origins in pastoral nomadism.

As far as I know, historical migrations between China and Japan had been very scarce, mainly due to the turbulent sea that divides them.

Anyway, my point is that common ancestry isn't the only factor that determines ethnic relativeness. All example. the Spanish and Italians often feel "ethnically close" due to similar language and customs and the common "Latin identity"; yet very few Spaniards alive today descend from migrations from Roman Italy. The Roman occupation imposed a cultural assimilation process rather than a population replacement.

AE thread on " Origins of Japanese people "

There is  the " East Asia indentity " and " closeness " among NE Asian populations but it's hijacked by Japan's Datsu-A Ron 脫亞論 Ouch.Also,political rifts and historical events of 19th-20th centuries divide them.

However,it's the French regard Italians as their " cousins " tho LOL

pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 18:55
Originally posted by Sarmat

However, regardless of this, Turks and Uyghurs are still closer to each other than Chinese and Japanese because besides the civilizational values they know of their linguistic, historical and genetic connection which is absent in the Chinese-Japanese case.

Let me re-iterate," relatedness " is relative.

Linguistic, historical and genetic connections are well-established in the Chinese-Japanese case.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>