Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Uyghur-Chinese relations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
man2rk View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote man2rk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uyghur-Chinese relations
    Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 21:18
Learning Turkish for a Uighurman is so easy that it shouldn't be named as learning ,correctly should be adjusting or shiftingto a dialectLOL.

Edited by man2rk - 07-Feb-2009 at 21:20
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 20:38
Originally posted by pebbles

That's not true.

The on'yomi ( 音読み ) remains very close to original pronunciations.I know this because I speak both Cantonese and Mandarin.

To "original" the one that was used 1300 years ago, yeah may be, but I actually addressed this issue in my previous post. Besides, how actually it could be similar to the correct Chinese pronouncation when it doesn't have the tones?

Any Japanese & Western Japanese-language learners can tell you that it takes shorter time for Chinese to study Japanese to fluency.Chinese are always place in the " advanced " courses at J universities and local city-sponsored Japanese language centers in Japan.Of-course,we have to consider the learning ability of individuals as there are fast & slower learners. 

Yeah, of course they do, because of the characters. Chinese pick them up very fast compare to the Westerners. But Japanese grammar is actually quite hard for Chinese. And, in any case, an Uyghur will learn Turkish much faster than any Chinese will learn Japanese.

And,Taiwan-Chinese like to brag that they can speak Japanese better than the Americans and better English-speakers than the Japanese LOL
LOL

Edited by Sarmat - 08-Feb-2009 at 00:28
Σαυρομάτης
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 20:05
Originally posted by Sarmat

Let me re-iterate," relatedness " is relative.

Linguistic, historical and genetic connections are well-established in the Chinese-Japanese case.

And although, most of the Japanese words have Chinese origin they are pronounced very different from a contemporary Chinese. It will take many years for a Chinese to become fluent in Japanese language.

The genetic connection of Japanese and Chinese is minimum. By contrast Uyghyrs and Turks come from the same ancestors.

That's not true.

The on'yomi ( 音読み ) remains very close to original pronunciations.I know this because I speak both Cantonese and Mandarin.Any Japanese & Western Japanese-language learners can tell you that it takes shorter time for Chinese to study Japanese to fluency.Chinese are always place in the " advanced " courses at J universities and local city-sponsored Japanese language centers in Japan.Of-course,we have to consider the learning ability of individuals as there are fast & slower learners. 

And,Taiwan-Chinese like to brag that they can speak Japanese better than the Americans and better English-speakers than the Japanese LOL.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 20:02
Pebbles
 The original Anatolian Turks, the earliest peoples to inhabit Turkey, were the Hitites, then the Celts, and with each successive wave, the original Hitites always mixed with whoever settled in their country.

This is so incorrect.

1. Hitites have been extinct for millenias.
2. Hitites were not Turks or Turkic
3. The Turks originated as a social group in Central Asia.

Pebbles
 Its part of the reason modern Turks are so strange looking;

Strange? keep your racist language to yourself, anyone calling other groups of people strange is a sign or total ignorance.

Pebbles
 they have mixed with so many people, that the majority of modern Turks don't associate themselves with any race so they simply call themselves "Turks."

Who associates themselves as a "race", do Europeans view themselves as the "White" race, or as English, Itallians, French?

Turks view themselves as Turks due to speaking Turkic, having a Turkic identity and sharing a national historiy/root.

Pebbles
Ancient Turkey was originally the homeland of the Hitites, a middle eastern people who were cousins to the semites, although, shorter and sturdier.

Shorter and sturdier Confused

Pebbles
Most of Turkey in fact was dominated by the Hitites until their empire fell. Their glory days were over, but as a people they survived. Western Turkey was home to Greek colonists, one colony eventually prospering and becoming the fabled city of Troy, which was destroyed by the Myceneans.

How did they survive? what makes a people a people, is their language, identity, religions, percieved historic origns etc this is all that seperates us, remove that and were all humans no different from each other.

Hitites as a nation/ethnic became extinct. This does not mean that there are no Hitite descendants, it means that over time through mixing, assimilation and domination they ceased to exist and were merged into different peoples like the incomming Greeks.

Pebbles
In other words, the Turks are REAL mutts,

A mutt is a mixed-breed dog, I don't think Turks are "Dogs".

Pebbles
The Turks, are only linguistically related to the current residents of Turkmekistan who, appearance wise, look nothing like modern Turks.

Actually, people in Turkmenistan don't look too different to peoples in Turkey or Northern Iran.

The rest of what you have written can be applied to any country in Eurasia.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 19:47

Linguistic, historical and genetic connections are well-established in the Chinese-Japanese case.

I don't agree.

Japanese and Chinese languages are mutually not intelligible. Yes, Chinese and Japanese can guess the probable meaning of the written passages in another language, but here the connection ends. And although, most of the Japanese words have Chinese origin they are pronounced very different from a contemporary Chinese. It will take many years for a Chinese to become fluent in Japanese language.

By contrast, Turkish and Uyghyr language do share some degree of mutual intelligibilty and it will take a short time of the speakers of both languages to become complitely fluent in anothr.

The genetic connection of Japanese and Chinese is minimum. By contrast Uyghyrs and Turks come from the same ancestors.

Historical connection as I said, Turks and Uyghyrs view their past in the terms of their common Turkic origins, byt contrast despite of the adobtion of the most civilizational values by Japan from China, historical memories of both countries about themselves are rather bitter than positive.
Σαυρομάτης
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 19:18

The original Anatolian Turks, the earliest peoples to inhabit Turkey, were the Hitites, then the Celts, and with each successive wave, the original Hitites always mixed with whoever settled in their country. Its part of the reason modern Turks are so strange looking; they have mixed with so many people, that the majority of modern Turks don't associate themselves with any race so they simply call themselves "Turks."

Ancient Turkey was originally the homeland of the Hitites, a middle eastern people who were cousins to the semites, although, shorter and sturdier. Most of Turkey in fact was dominated by the Hitites until their empire fell. Their glory days were over, but as a people they survived. Western Turkey was home to Greek colonists, one colony eventually prospering and becoming the fabled city of Troy, which was destroyed by the Myceneans.

The Myceneans of Sparta, in turn, were invaded and enslaved (turned into the helot class) by a band of Dorians who went on to become the more famous warlike Spartans. Karma's a b*tch, what can I say. So anyway; despite the Myceneans destroying Troy, the other colonies survived, grew, prospered and spread throughout the rest of Turkey and began breeding with the local Hitites, so thus, ancient Turkey was a mixture of Greek and Hitite elements, that is why some Turks look Greek.

In other words, the Turks are REAL mutts, not like some American airhead who says " Oh, I've got Austrian, German and Italian in me; I'm such a mutt! tehee!" Give a freaking break man; you're only a mut if you are mixed with different peoples, like for example, the Turks. The Turks, are only linguistically related to the current residents of Turkmekistan who, appearance wise, look nothing like modern Turks. The Turks are a mixture of the above mentioned Middle Eastern people but it doesn't end there; one of the peoples the Hitites warred against, were a band of Celtic warriors originally from Central Europe. So....... they also have a little bit of Celtic in there.

Then the Persians took it over, they really liked that land, and so they sent colonists, and they too decided to breed with the locals, so now the Turks are a mixture of Greek, Hitite, and Persian. But then Greece under Macedonian rule wanted revenge against the Persians, and Alexander the Great overran it, and conquered the Persian empire. And many Greeks decided to stay in Turkey, so once again the now mixed Hitite, Persian, and earlier Greek mixed turks, mixed with the more recent Greeks.

But then Alexander's empire fell and then Rome rolled along, and they largely left it alone and decided not to breed with them although, there were a small handful of Romans who really liked the country so they stayed there and intermarried, but not in significant numbers. Seeing the prosperity of Anatolia (Turkey), many Slavic tribes escaping the depredations of barbarians from the north, the ancestors of the Vikings the Rus, decided to move south.

So now the Hitite, Greek and Persian mixed Turks, mixed with some Slavs. But then Rome in a typically guido fashion pissed off too many people and thus those people decided Rome should burn, so they burned it. And then Attila and his Huns decided to more or less finish the job, although, Rome was already finished by then. The Central Asiatic hunish hordes really like Anatolia, and so, a band of them stayed, and the Hitite, Greek, Persian and Slavic mixed Turks, decided to breed with them. And thus now the turks are mixed Hitite, Greek, Persian, Slavic, and Central Asian Hunish.

But then finally the Byzantine empire fell, and a band of people from Turkmekistan decided to make that place their home, and like the Huns they were also Central Asian. And thus, the Turks decided to mix with the locals, who were Hitite, Greek, Persian, Slavic, central Asian and Hunish, and because it was a really nice country some Arabs decided they too wanted to join along, and so the turks became a mixture of Hitite, Greek, Persian, Slavic, Central Asian and Hunish, in ADDITION to Arabs.

But it doesn't end there. As if that wasn't enough, people from Kurdistan and the Caucasus mountains, not to mention eastern European Balkan origin Janissaries, decided to mix with the Turks. Thus, the Turks are a mixture of Hitite, Greec, Persian, Slavic from two different fronts, Central Asian from two different Central Asian tribes, and finally, Persian and Arabic.

Again, Turks are only related to the people from Turkmekistan, linguistically. Appearance wise, genetically speaking, they are only partially related to them, so many empires, so many peoples have settled in Anatolia, later called Turkey, that it doesn't belong to any one race, and all races who have ever lived there, lived in relative harmony with one another with the exception of their relationship with the Kurds. So why have so many empires and peoples invaded those lands?

pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 18:55
Originally posted by Sarmat

However, regardless of this, Turks and Uyghurs are still closer to each other than Chinese and Japanese because besides the civilizational values they know of their linguistic, historical and genetic connection which is absent in the Chinese-Japanese case.

pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 18:52
Originally posted by calvo

The common origin of the Turkic people, from Uighurs to the Anatolian Turks, is historically very established. They all originated from the Gokturk Khanate in the 6th-8th century; and they shared their origins in pastoral nomadism.

As far as I know, historical migrations between China and Japan had been very scarce, mainly due to the turbulent sea that divides them.

Anyway, my point is that common ancestry isn't the only factor that determines ethnic relativeness. All example. the Spanish and Italians often feel "ethnically close" due to similar language and customs and the common "Latin identity"; yet very few Spaniards alive today descend from migrations from Roman Italy. The Roman occupation imposed a cultural assimilation process rather than a population replacement.

AE thread on " Origins of Japanese people "

There is  the " East Asia indentity " and " closeness " among NE Asian populations but it's hijacked by Japan's Datsu-A Ron 脫亞論 Ouch.Also,political rifts and historical events of 19th-20th centuries divide them.

However,it's the French regard Italians as their " cousins " tho LOL

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 16:49
Pebbles
I think modern day Turks are a mixed people,a small percentage can trace roots to ancient Central Asia.

What people arn't mixed?
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 15:49
I believe pebbles didn't mean the foundation as the people that inhabited Japan. What he meant by the foundation is that there is a Confucian principle in the core of the Japanese culture/civilization 以和爲貴 which can be roughly translated from Chinese as "Harmony as the most precious, "important" (thing.)" In other words, the roots of the Japanese civilization lay in China.

However, regardless of this, Turks and Uyghurs are still closer to each other than Chinese and Japanese because besides the civilizational values they know of their linguistic, historical and genetic connection which is absent in the Chinese-Japanese case.
Σαυρομάτης
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 15:18

I don't think that the founding population of Japan had its roots in China

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_people#Origins

The common origin of the Turkic people, from Uighurs to the Anatolian Turks, is historically very established. They all originated from the Gokturk Khanate in the 6th-8th century; and they shared their origins in pastoral nomadism.

As far as I know, historical migrations between China and Japan had been very scarce, mainly due to the turbulent sea that divides them.

Anyway, my point is that common ancestry isn't the only factor that determines ethnic relativeness. All example. the Spanish and Italians often feel "ethnically close" due to similar language and customs and the common "Latin identity"; yet very few Spaniards alive today descend from migrations from Roman Italy. The Roman occupation imposed a cultural assimilation process rather than a population replacement.

The same could be applied to North Africa. The number of Arabs that invaded from the Middle East was very few compared to the native populations; yet when the native population adopted the customs and religion of the invaders, they gradually began to identify themselves as "Arabs".

pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 12:12
Originally posted by calvo

Regarding ethnic or genetic relatedness,it can be a bias has aspects that reflect cultural/social/historical currents.LOL

If Uighurs, Kazakhs, Turkmen, and Anatolian Turks all speak similar language and profess the same religion, they are certainly related some way.

Of-course,on mutual ancestry by percentage but not overall general population  LOL

White-Americans and European nationalities are centainly related in this regard but the other 35%-40% non-European origins of US population aren't.LOL

By the way,foundation of Japanese civilization was " Chinese origin " including their engrained concept of Harmony 以和爲貴.LOL

Shotoku's Seventeen-Article Constitution [Jushichijo Kenpo] 十七条憲法 LOL

Edited by pebbles - 07-Feb-2009 at 12:32
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 11:48

Regarding ethnic or genetic relatedness,it can be a bias has aspects that reflect cultural/social/historical currents.LOL

"ethnicity" is defined mainly by cultural and linguistic heritage, rather than physical appearance. If physical appearance defined ethnicity, then you could argue that Greeks, Turks, Bulgarians, Georgians, Chechens, Syrians, and Armenians and closely related ethnicities.... and I'm sure that most people from these nationalities will strongly disagree with you, if not feel deeply offended.

Many people confuse the term "ethnic group" and "race", which have rather different meaning.
If Uighurs, Kazakhs, Turkmen, and Anatolian Turks all speak similar language and profess the same religion, they are certainly related some way.

Sometimes I reckon that the difference between Chinese and Japanese could be compared to Spain and Morocco. They 2 cultures have influenced each other in the past, but basis of their foundation is completely different.

Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 10:48

Originally posted by dick

I am merely questioning the notion that Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese are not as close to each other as the Uighurs and the Turks.

Chinese Japanese & Koreans are closer to each other than China's Islamic Uighurs and Turkish people.

I've worked with a native Turk for over 10 years,she and husband have " Mediterranean " looks oppose to more " Central-Asian " looking Chinese Uighurs.

I think modern day Turks are a mixed people,a small percentage can trace roots to ancient Central Asia.

Like all nations
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 10:41

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 06:38
Many people wouldn't agree with you. But in any case, we are not discussing here the closeness based on the outlook only.
Σαυρομάτης
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 05:39

I am merely questioning the notion that Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese are not as close to each other as the Uighurs and the Turks.

Chinese Japanese & Koreans are closer to each other than China's Islamic Uighurs and Turkish people.

I've worked with a native Turk for over 10 years,she and husband have " Mediterranean " looks oppose to more " Central-Asian " looking Chinese Uighurs.

Edited by pebbles - 07-Feb-2009 at 05:42
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2009 at 15:58

lol, I AM an American born Japanese-Chinese(half-half). So I am far more qualified to tell you how we look than you do. I my first language is both Chinese and English, and picked up Japanese later as well), lived in China for 5 years, and lived in Japan for 2. The fact of the matter is, its impossible most of the time to tell the difference between the two people by mere appearance.

You're lying. Never a person whose first language is Chinese would call Chinese characters "kanji."

Even if you're an Asian-American, you first language is English. It's true that most of the young Asian Americans can't speak the languages of their ancestors.

And don't brag about how many years you lived there. I met people who have been living there for 20 years and speak not a word of a language.

Finally, Asian-Americans look different from real Asians from China and Japan. They look "American." It's also actually very easy to see whether a person is a Chinese or Japanese-American or China-Chinese or Japan-Japanese.

So, indeed, if you want to distinguish between Asian-Americans in the US and Canada; it would be some times very hard to say.

But if you see a person raised in Japan and compare it to a person raised in China the differnce is more then obvious. The environment has a great influence on the outlook and behavoir of the person.
Σαυρομάτης
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2009 at 15:51
Dick
You still haven't shown how Uighurs are closer to the Turks than the Japanese and Koreans are to the Chinese.

Let's look at this objetively, without "our" personal opinions blurring our vision.

People in Turkey and Uygur regions share;

- Common language group
 - Common religion
 - Common Turkic heritage

However, Chinese, Koreans and Chinese, don't share the same language, do not have a common supra-identity ie they arn't all branches of the Chinese or Japanese or Korean nation and they have various religions although their are common religous beliefs as well.

Korean infact is sometimes classified as being "Altaic", now this is contraversial and Japanese being Altaic is even more contraversial, however, it shows that they don't have a common linguistic root with Chinese.

Dick
By claiming language as more important than script, you are imposing a very western centric view of East Asia which is downright misleading. In Asia, its the script which unifies the people, not the language.

Have you got a problem with the West? all you do is blame them for everything.

Its not misleading, its pretty simple, you can write a language in any script, its language which unifies people not a script, otherwise Colombians and Australians would be the same.

Dick
if language family is what you consider to determine unity then you are also telling me that people from Peru are ethnic brothers with the Italians since they both speak Romance languages?

Well from a linguistic point of view they have more in common than Japanese, Korean and Chinese do.

Calvo
There is one curious thing that I have noticed: this so-called pan-Asian identity exists somewhat more among Asian-Americans in the USA and in Asia itself. Chinese, Japanese, Vietanamese, and Philipinos are grouped together as "Asian" in the USA, therefore they feel a certain degree of solidarity; the same way that Anglo, Italian, and Russian Americans are all grouped together as "white". I've known a few Chinese Americans and Filipino Americans who feel part of this "Asian" community.

This describes what's going on in this post. After a few generations, when alot of the cultural traits dissapear and all East-Asians are lumped together, they identify more with each other as they're from the same region and look quite similar.

Albert Pine

calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2009 at 14:55

There is one curious thing that I have noticed: this so-called pan-Asian identity exists somewhat more among Asian-Americans in the USA and in Asia itself. Chinese, Japanese, Vietanamese, and Philipinos are grouped together as "Asian" in the USA, therefore they feel a certain degree of solidarity; the same way that Anglo, Italian, and Russian Americans are all grouped together as "white". I've known a few Chinese Americans and Filipino Americans who feel part of this "Asian" community.

In Asia itself I don't think that this Asian solidarity really exists. Most of the Chinese people I met in Spain do not feel any connections nor kinship to other Asian nationalities. The Japanese, in fact, are the nationality that they despise the most because of the atrocities of WWII. I don't think the anti-Japanese sentiment is really a creation of the Communist Party. Many of these Chinese I've met say that it's their grandparents who are the die-hard "anti-Japps" because they still have the memory of the genocide committed by the Japanese in China.

I just had a check on "Wang Jin Wei". He was considered by the Chinese as a traitor; and his political posture was very marginal at the time: probably similar to the Vichy regime in France who collaborated with the Nazis.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>