Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Islam and The World

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Poll Question: What Is The First Thing You Think of When You Hear The Word Islam?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
32 [32.65%]
19 [19.39%]
9 [9.18%]
17 [17.35%]
1 [1.02%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
20 [20.41%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Islam and The World
    Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 04:09
Please No Fowl Language, Just Give Your Views.
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 08:14

Unfortunately, I'd have to go with "terrorism" in this day and age.

Don't get me wrong--I realize that the Muslim extremist groups are no more representative of Islam as a whole than Bible-thumping Fundamentalists are of Christianity, but the current state of world affairs has given Islam a bad name in the West.

Despite my Christian faith (which is extremely important to me, for without God I am nothing), I must confess to feeling a certain sort of deep sorrow, because the 3 great monotheistic religions--Judaism, Chrisitanity, & Islam--are collectively responsible for more human misery than any other religious creeds I can personally think of.  I honestly do not feel that that is what the founders of these faiths intended, but it has happened nonetheless. 

A real shame, actually.

"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 09:23

I'd put money that 9/10 Americans would say terrorism, sadly that's because of their media and politicians.

For Europeans I guess it's more oppression of women, which is a repeated theme on tv.

Negative this is too, but I do think there's a bit more legitimacy to it.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 09:35
I'm trying hard not to think of anything else, than of what Islam is, one of the great and influential world religions, about which I know too little.
Here in Europe that isn't easy, as you get bombarded with anti-islamic propaganda from all sides at the moment.
As our greatest philosopher once said, history repeats itself, the second time it comes around as a farce( or such), and this has never been more true than in view of Bush's and Blair's crusade against the islamic world.

Otherwise, I can only agree with Landsknecht:

Originally posted by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner

I must confess to feeling a certain sort of deep sorrow, because the 3 great monotheistic religions--Judaism, Chrisitanity, & Islam--are collectively responsible for more human misery than any other religious creeds I can personally think of. I honestly do not feel that that is what the founders of these faiths intended, but it has happened nonetheless.

A real shame, actually.

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 09:36
Arabia, or desert
white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 12:08
i think of the word "islam" first when i hear islam
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 12:25

The Muslim say as a greeting "Assalamu-Allaikum" (peace be upon you).

It says in the Holy Quran " If you take a life it is as if you have taken the life of the whole world and if you save a life the it is as if you have saved the life of the whole world"

Islam does not mean terror,

Islam is for PEACE for ALL of Gods creations.

Peace be upon you

OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 12:28

What Does Islam Say about Terrorism?

Islam, a religion of mercy, does not permit terrorism.  In the Quran, God has said:

God does not forbid you from showing kindness and dealing justly with those who have not fought you about religion and have not driven you out of your homes.  God loves just dealers.  (Quran, 60:8)

The Prophet Muhammad  used to prohibit soldiers from killing women and children,1 and he would advise them: {...Do not betray, do not be excessive, do not kill a newborn child.}2  And he also said: {Whoever has killed a person having a treaty with the Muslims shall not smell the fragrance of Paradise, though its fragrance is found for a span of forty years.}3

Also, the Prophet Muhammad  has forbidden punishment with fire.4

He once listed murder as the second of the major sins,5 and he even warned that on the Day of Judgment, {The first cases to be adjudicated between people on the Day of Judgment will be those of bloodshed.6}7

Muslims are even encouraged to be kind to animals and are forbidden to hurt them.  Once the Prophet Muhammad  said: {A woman was punished because she imprisoned a cat until it died.  On account of this, she was doomed to Hell. While she imprisoned it, she did not give the cat food or drink, nor did she free it to eat the insects of the earth.}8

He also said that a man gave a very thirsty dog a drink, so God forgave his sins for this action.  The Prophet  was asked, Messenger of God, are we rewarded for kindness towards animals?  He said: {There is a reward for kindness to every living animal or human.}9

Additionally, while taking the life of an animal for food, Muslims are commanded to do so in a manner that causes the least amount of fright and suffering possible.  The Prophet Muhammad  said: {When you slaughter an animal, do so in the best way.  One should sharpen his knife to reduce the suffering of the animal.}10

In light of these and other Islamic texts, the act of inciting terror in the hearts of defenseless civilians, the wholesale destruction of buildings and properties, the bombing and maiming of innocent men, women, and children are all forbidden and detestable acts according to Islam and the Muslims.  Muslims follow a religion of peace, mercy, and forgiveness, and the vast majority have nothing to do with the violent events some have associated with Muslims.  If an individual Muslim were to commit an act of terrorism, this person would be guilty of violating the laws of Islam.

OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 12:30

Human Rights and Justice in Islam

Islam provides many human rights for the individual.  The following are some of these human rights that Islam protects.

The life and property of all citizens in an Islamic state are considered sacred, whether a person is Muslim or not.  Islam also protects honor.  So, in Islam, insulting others or making fun of them is not allowed.  The Prophet Muhammad  said: {Truly your blood, your property, and your honor are inviolable.}1

Racism is not allowed in Islam, for the Quran speaks of human equality in the following terms:

O mankind, We have created you from a male and a female and have made you into nations and tribes for you to know one another.  Truly, the noblest of you with God is the most pious.2  Truly, God is All-Knowing, All-Aware.  (Quran, 49:13)

Islam rejects certain individuals or nations being favored because of their wealth, power, or race.  God created human beings as equals who are to be distinguished from each other only on the basis of their faith and piety.  The Prophet Muhammad  said: {O people!  Your God is one and your forefather (Adam) is one.  An Arab is not better than a non-Arab and a non-Arab is not better than an Arab, and a red (i.e. white tinged with red) person is not better than a black person and a black person is not better than a red person,3 except in piety.}4

One of the major problems facing mankind today is racism.  The developed world can send a man to the moon but cannot stop man from hating and fighting his fellow man.  Ever since the days of the Prophet Muhammad , Islam has provided a vivid example of how racism can be ended.  The annual pilgrimage (Hajj) to Makkah shows the real Islamic brotherhood of all races and nations, when about two million Muslims from all over the world come to Makkah to perform the pilgrimage.

Islam is a religion of justice.  God has said:

Truly God commands you to give back trusts to those to whom they are due, and when you judge between people, to judge with justice....  (Quran, 4:58)

And He has said:

...And act justly.  Truly, God loves those who are just.  (Quran, 49:9)

We should even be just with those who we hate, as God has said:

...And let not the hatred of others make you avoid justice.  Be just: that is nearer to piety....  (Quran, 5:8)

The Prophet Muhammad  said: {People, beware of injustice,5 for injustice shall be darkness on the Day of Judgment.}6

And those who have not gotten their rights (i.e. what they have a just claim to) in this life will receive them on the Day of Judgment, as the Prophet  said: {On the Day of Judgment, rights will be given to those to whom they are due (and wrongs will be redressed)...}7

For more info please visit www.islam-guide.com

or contact me. Thank You, Peace to all

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 13:05

About women, what about these ones:

"And all married women are forbidden unto you except those captives whom your right hand possesses. It is a decree of Allah for you. Lawful unto you are all beyond thosementioned, so that you seek them with your wealth in honest wedlock, not debauchery."(Quran: Al Nisa: 4 - 24)

"They ask Thee concerning Women's courses. Say to them: 'They are a Hurt and a Pollution: So keep away from women in their courses and do not approach them until they are clean.' But when they are purified, Yee may approach them in any manner, time or place. Ordained for you by Allah, for Allah loves those who turn to him constantly and he loves those who keep themselves Pure and Clean." (Quran: Al Baqarah: 2 - 222)

"Your wives are as a tilth unto you; so approach your tilth when or how ye will." (Quran: Al Baqarah: 2 - 223)

"Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because God has given the one more than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in absence, what God would have them guard. As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them, refuse to share their beds, & beat them." (Quran: Al Nisa 4 - 34)

"O Prophet! surely We have made lawful to you your wives whom you have given their dowries, and those whom your right hand possesses out of those whom Allah has given to you as prisoners of war, and the daughters of your paternal uncles and the daughters of your paternal aunts, and the daughters of your maternal uncles and the daughters of your maternal aunts who fled with you; and a believing woman if she gave herself to the Prophet, if the Prophet desired to marry her. Specially for you, not for the believers; we know what we have ordained for them concerning their wives and those whom their right hands possess in order that no blame may attach to you; and Allah is Forgiving, Merciful." (Quran: Al Ahzab: 33 - 50)

"As for those of your women who are guilty of lewdness, confine them to the houses until death take them." (Quran: Al Nisa: 4 - 15)

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 20:05

The verses above: regard keeping from sex while a women is menstruating - "womens courses"

Respect women.

Stages of coping with transgresive women. Is it "beat" them or "leave" them?

Obviously, your intentions to present such verses in questionable light need further research on your part.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 21:04
What immediately comes to my mind is sand, Arabs, pointed domed architecture, and rapid expansion.  The image of Islamic cavalry speedily moving through the desert if you will.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2005 at 14:20
I chose peace as that is what  Islam is thriwing for. And also i could connect a "muslim" with a kalashnikov with Islam, but i would rather not, western propaganda and jibberish.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2005 at 17:01

Sorry to say this but when I hear Islam I think of terrorism and especially 9/11.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2005 at 01:23
hmmm! When I hear the word Islam- quick thoughts

I think of Terrorism but it is not the first thing I think of because there are so many ethnic groups in the Middle East and not everyone is Muslim.

How do you define an Arab? People in Iran consider themselves to be Persian, with some Arab mix I would add. What is the difference between a Muslim in the Middle East vs. elsewhere?

I really think of culture and history when I think of the Islam but terrorism is a sad side note that comes with the territory. Islam cannot always be connected to terrorism because most Muslims want to just live, get married, have a family and a career or trade. It was the Islamic cultures that saved many of the classical texts when most of Europe was in a so-called dark age.

To automatically think of terrorism is to think that everyone is a radical terrorist, not the case.

I do think of a religion that likes to dominate non-believers though- it is very evident in history. "The Ottoman Centuries"

I know the Turks allowed the Orthodox to preserve their faith but they still had to pay the poll tax and they were second class citizens. They were not allowed to build new churches or even repair the old ones.
But also, in America I think of the conflict between Muslim culture and ideology and non-Muslims that is going to happen as their population grows in the U.S., Canada and Mexico. I think of Van goh and how he was murdered for expressing his freedom of speech and telling the truth.
I do see future conflicts both here and Europe between Muslims and others. I fear for the moderate Muslims in the U.S. if their is another 9/11 that is much worse than the first.
I have Christian Arab friends in Spokane who were threatened after 9/11 with death threats. One Sikh in Cheney received lots of death threats, shows how stupid some people are that they cannot tell the difference between a Muslim and a Sikh.
I hope for the best but history seems to repeat itself because man's nature is the same, the knowledge of good and evil.

I hope I am wrong!!

Even though I do not automatically think of terrorism I really do not think of peace either.

Ever since I saw those pics of Camel spiders I think of that now- yuck!!

The landscape is as diverse as the people!

Another great book: "Orientalism"
Capt. Lubber View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Capt. Lubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2005 at 01:27
The first thing i think of, sadly, is the oppression of women. We don't get the impression that they have great lives under islam up here in Europe
Loke, Attila, the grete conqueror,
Deyde in his sleep, with shame and dishonour,
Bleedinge ay at the nose in dronkenesse,
A captayin shoulde live in sobrenesse
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2005 at 07:09
Uggh, what are those Alien face-hugger arachnid things?
"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2005 at 02:33

Originally posted by eaglecap

This creature is shocking. This is no spider it Science Fiction.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2005 at 02:35

Lets hear what you think of Islam S3oodi?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2005 at 02:48

Originally posted by eaglecap

It was the Islamic cultures that saved many of the classical texts when most of Europe was in a so-called dark age

I think that the Arabs have left behind a solid foundation for the generations ahead. But FYI Umar (Rathia Allaho Anho) ordered the library of Alexandria burnt to the ground. The Arabs after Islam were great people. But they never learned to form a government and an impire until they moved to Baghdad and adobted many of the persian culture. There they really contributed to humanity

Edited by Abbass
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>