Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Islam and The World

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Poll Question: What Is The First Thing You Think of When You Hear The Word Islam?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
32 [32.65%]
19 [19.39%]
9 [9.18%]
17 [17.35%]
1 [1.02%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
20 [20.41%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Islam and The World
    Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 10:57

"It says state what comes to mind, and that is what comes to mind."

Actually it says "state the FIRST thing thing you think of when you hear the word Islam?

Not the first 6 things that come to mind.

"Now if it said state what comes to mind when you hear OSMANLI- I'd think a fool who did not even read what the topic is about."

Since i have already proved you wrong you may come to own conclusion as to who has trully read and understood the name of the topic and who is the true "fool" as you put it.

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 23:52

Y r bush osama and iraq up there?

Cellular View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Cellular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 12:50
Originally posted by OSMANLI

I am impressed!!!

It is obvious that you have been to many a Muslim countries.

AE is so lucky that they dont have ignorant members but rather members like your self Cellular that give an educated and non-predjediced opinion

P.S Muslims pray 5 times a day (but iam sure you already knew that since you seem to know everything about the Muslim world)

It says state what comes to mind, and that is what comes to mind.

Now if it said state what comes to mind when you hear OSMANLI- I'd think a fool who did not even read what the topic is about.

Photo shows a Mexican flag flown above an upside-down U.S. flag during a high school student protest over immigration reform. http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/mexicoflag.asp
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 08:33

I am impressed!!!

It is obvious that you have been to many a Muslim countries.

AE is so lucky that they dont have ignorant members but rather members like your self Cellular that give an educated and non-predjediced opinion

P.S Muslims pray 5 times a day (but iam sure you already knew that since you seem to know everything about the Muslim world)

Cellular View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Cellular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 01:29
Desert, turbans, beards, camels, praying towards mecca 10 times a day, flag burnings
Photo shows a Mexican flag flown above an upside-down U.S. flag during a high school student protest over immigration reform. http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/mexicoflag.asp
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 01:11
Originally posted by Murtaza

Originally posted by Thegeneral

Sorry to say this but when I hear Islam I think of terrorism and especially 9/11.

Just curiosity, why noone remember christianity as serbs and their genocide?

It looks like you are not looking Islam neutral, so you prefer to see what is bad in Islam. But you dont look christianity like this way.

The war was not a war of christianity. It was a war between the 2 peoples. This "war" on the USA is a islamic jihad on the west. So they are different.

http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 00:50

Well today, and from past history, i would say first thing that comes to mind is: Approach with caution.

http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 00:49

The sound of Azaan.I don't like people who use loudspeakers in Mosques.

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 00:46
I voted for other. I don't really think of anything in particular when I hear the word "Islam". I just perk up, knowing it relates to me. If the discussion is bad, I get defensive - if it's good, I don't really respond at all - if it's interesting, I'll comment, etc.

But it depends on the conversation, nothing really just comes to mind for me except...well, "listen".
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 00:38

Cordoba, Baghdad in Abbasid Period, Jerusalam of Calilphate Era...

Algebra? Do you know it is an Arabic word?

Norweigan mate, have you Viking guys invented any kinda science like Arabs invented Maths?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 13:01
Originally posted by Abbass

Originally posted by eaglecap

It was the Islamic cultures that saved many of the classical texts when most of Europe was in a so-called dark age

I think that the Arabs have left behind a solid foundation for the generations ahead. But FYI Umar (Rathia Allaho Anho) ordered the library of Alexandria burnt to the ground. The Arabs after Islam were great people. But they never learned to form a government and an impire until they moved to Baghdad and adobted many of the persian culture. There they really contributed to humanity

Arabs contributed to humanity... can i ask you how?
Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 01:51
Originally posted by Afghanan

As a Muslim the first thing that comes in my mind is faith and beauty.  I think the question and answers listed are better asked to non-Muslims.

As a non muslim first thing that comes in my mind is the song "Suspicious minds", read the lyrics

"We cant go on together
With suspicious minds
And be cant build our dreams
On suspicious minds"

the best definition for "Islam and the world"

"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
Attila2 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Attila2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 15:28

Why Islam implies only arabs and sand and domed architecture in your brains?

How about Turks???

Turks are not living in desert,we dont wear burka or turban,and we dont have domed architecture neither....It seems that you are all orientalist prejudicers!

arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2006 at 20:54
Originally posted by ok ge

Originally posted by Maju

On a particular note, ok Ge, do you mean that, as obviously the LRA (which, btw, is financed and supported by the barbaric Islamist dictatorship of Sudan and no one else) can hardly be considered a Christian sect, we should not consider Sudan or the Taliban or the Iran of the aytollahs or the fundamentalist Saudi Monarchy as Islamic at all either?

What would you consider good clear examples of what Islam actually is? The Sufis?

Maju, I don't believe there is an example of Islam per se. There is no kingdom of god on this earth and this is should be well known to most Muslims (at least Sunnis). Rather, we have a spectrum where a country, nation, group can be placed on. That spectrum decides how  much do you follow Islam and how much you don't, and so you are to be considered more islamic or not, and not an Islamic or not. For example, Saudi Arabia practice more Islamic laws than Tunisia, however Saudi Arabia does not practice Islamic concepts of equality sometimes including not seperating the judicial system from the state, neither it does with the Royal family expidentures and the corruptions. So it is more Islamic on one side but less Islamic on the other side.

Now going back to your question, Talibans, Iran, Saudi Arabia...etc cannot be examples of an Islamic state rather than how much they follow the Islamic teachings in all aspects and not selectively.

The LRA has a religious propoganda, not very different from Taliban. If we ought to consider Taliban an Islamic terrorist group, we should consider then the LRA a Christian terrorist group to avoid double-standing. If the LRA received assistance from the Sudanese government earlier, Osama Bin Laden and much of Taliban received assistant from the USA too.

Regarding Sudan support to LRA, I will quote the following from the report of the Institute for Security Studies:

"The LRA is based in southern Sudan and operates in northern Uganda. In January 2002 Pres. Museveni and Sudanese President Umar Haan al-Bashir pledged to work towards peace and security in the region and to cease military support to rebel groups. In 1995 the two countries severed diplomatic relations with Uganda has accusing Sudan of supporting the LRA, and Sudan has claiming that Uganda was assisting the rebel Sudan Peoples Liberation Army (SPLA)."

So it is clearly a political move as much as the United States did earlier in supporting Taliban, and till now, in supporting the Saudi Royal family. Politics is different issue to religion.

People of all the world have followed with horror accounts of how women particularly are treated under Sharia laws and associated customs.

I don't recall any law that is targetting women only and not both sexes. Do you mean how some Muslims treat their women?

I can tell you that a lot of Muslim men are not following the examples they have in their religion in respecting and equal treatment of their wives and sisters. However, a lot of Christian are also not following the Christian teachings in treating their women too, except that Christian teaching of women is quiet different than what you expect.

'A women should learn in quietness and in full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. For Adam was formed first, and then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. But women will be saved through childbearing - if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.' (1 Timothy 2:11-15)

No wonder they were discussing in the 1000's AD if women are evil spirits in human bodies or full human!

While childbearing has beeen discussed by many Christian theologians as a punishment to Eve and all women in decieving Adam (men), the Prophet Muhammed tells a guy asking who are the most deserving person of my care and obidience, and he tells him "Your mother", he askes "then whom?", and he get the same answer second and a thrid time too. Finally "your father" comes in the fourth time. 3-1 for mothers.

So Maju, you deciding that you can find horrific accounts of ordering the mistreating of women in Quran but at the same time you cannot find that in the Bible is untrue simply.

Hmm...muslims trying to quote the Bible! AAHHH! Whats next!

-No but on a serious note you have used this scripture way out of context. In the book of Timothy Paul is writing the young believer(it states "genuine child in the faith") Timothy on ways that he should be familiar with when inside the congregation:

1 Timothy 3:14-15

I am writing you these things, though I am hoping to come to you shortly, but in case I am delayed, that you may know how you ought to conduct yourself in God's household, which is the congregation of [the] living God, a pillar and support of the truth.

-A couple of other verses that were right before the verses you posted:

1 Timothy 2:8-10

Therefore I desire that in every place the men carry on prayer, lifting up loyal hand, apart from wrath and debates. Likewise I desire the women to adorn themselves in well arranged dress, with modesty and soundness fo mind, not with styles of hairbraiding and gold or pearls or very expensive garb, but in the way that befits women professing to reverence  God, namely, through good works.

-So you see Paul is explaining in the following text(the one you have quoted) that women should not be teachers of the congregation and should thus just learn in silence(meaning not to profess or teach). Something that I would agree with at the time seeing as how there were no female teachers of any religion at that time, at least to my knowledge. Not in any way is Paul reffering to the stoning of women is he? Something that is in Islamic doctrine. Also in the Bible it refers to such things as men being the head of the household. I also too believe that the man should be at the head of the household as well as at the head of the congregation. The Bible does not teach superiority over women, but it does definately state the differences in their makeup and their general character and leadership skills. Both sexes are seen as equal and essential, they just play different roles. 

Edited by arch.buff
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 16:54

As a Muslim the first thing that comes in my mind is faith and beauty.  I think the question and answers listed are better asked to non-Muslims.

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2006 at 07:41
Originally posted by Infidel

As for those who are so quick in accusing Muslims, Islam, Muhammad or the Qur'an, I ask you, what do you think when you hear Israel? or Vatican? or USA? or KKK? or Zionism? or Srebenica?

Txungo material. Bad things, of course.

One thing doesn't contradict the other: I am agains Nazism and Zionism for about the same reasons I am against Sharia. Hope you get the point...

I am for human rights and for wide freedoms, intelectual, social, sexual and of any other kind. I am also for equality, including gender equality. I am againts all kind of authoritarism, wether it is Christian, Jew, Muslim or even secularist... I think that everyone has the right to follow their beliefs but that such personal stuff should not extend to society, which must be secular and secularist, so everyone, wether majority or minority can enjoy his/her rights fully.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2006 at 07:33
Originally posted by TeldeIndus

I mean women not being able to drive in Saudi Arabia. Those are legal precepts under several "sharias".

Havent read his response, but women in Saudi Arabia wear face covers generally, which reduces their peripheral vision. To be honest, i'd have second thoughts about letting them drive, since peripheral vision is important for driving. Also from what I know, it's only Saudi that stop women from driving.

Well the compulsory covers are also shameful and impractical. They need a Leninist regime for some generations - I'm quite possitive about that.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
TeldeIndus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2006 at 04:51

I mean women not being able to drive in Saudi Arabia. Those are legal precepts under several "sharias".

Havent read his response, but women in Saudi Arabia wear face covers generally, which reduces their peripheral vision. To be honest, i'd have second thoughts about letting them drive, since peripheral vision is important for driving. Also from what I know, it's only Saudi that stop women from driving.

Edited by TeldeIndus
We are not without accomplishment. We have managed to distribute poverty - Nguyen Co Thatch, Vietnamese foreign minister
oTToMAn_TurK View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote oTToMAn_TurK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2006 at 04:37
Well said Infidel , welcome back
Either your a slave to what MADE-MAN
Or your a slave to what MAN-MADE
docyabut View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote docyabut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2006 at 01:12
At this time, an old woman approached the crowd, but was pushed back. Then Issa said, "Reverence Woman, mother of the universe,' in her lies the truth of creation. She is the foundation of all that is good and beautiful. She is the source of life and death. Upon her depends the existence of man, because she is the sustenance of his labors. She gives birth to you in travail, she watches over your growth. Bless her. Honor her. Defend her. Love your wives and honor them, because tomorrow they shall be mothers, and later-progenitors of a whole race. Their love ennobles man, soothes the embittered heart and tames the beast. Wife and mother-they are the adornments of the universe."

"As light divides itself from darkness, so does woman possess the gift to divide in man good intent from the thought of evil. Your best thoughts must belong to woman. Gather from them your moral strength, which you must possess to sustain your near ones. Do not humiliate her, for therein you will humiliate yourselves. And all which you will do to mother, to wife, to widow or to another woman in sorrow-that shall you also do for the Spirit."

http://www.wolflodge.org/sananda/lost-years-of-jesus.htm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>