Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

to whom should Constantinople/Istanbul belong to

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: what nation do you think Istanbul (Constantinople) should belong to
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
23 [56.10%]
10 [24.39%]
8 [19.51%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: to whom should Constantinople/Istanbul belong to
    Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 15:28
Originally posted by Anton

Originally posted by es_bih

Don't preach to me on morality while excluding Britain's notorious history of consistent repression throughout its colonial enterprise. Guanatamo Bay is outside of the US, and is not representative of internal US dynamics. Last time I checked I can go outside freely and protest any issue I deem contestable. The actions done under the American banner such as Guanatamo are horrid, though not representative of how actually internal American dynamics function so your statement is false. That can be applied for any other country. America is neutral, Congress isn't....

This is amazing. And those people tend to teach democracy the whole word LOL

Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 15:26
This city was not build by Romans -- it is older than that. As far as I know, some claim it is Greek colony while others that it is Thracian city. Greek colony seems to be more likely as Thracians mostly lived  deep inland.
The ancient Byzantion is a Megarian colony, founded somewhere in the first half of the 7th century BC. The name of the city however seems to be Thracian (like in the case of another Megarian colony in this area - Selymbria). It is also possible the pre-existence of a Thracian settlement.
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 15:07
Originally posted by Akolouthos

Originally posted by Illirac

Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

I am still saying that Spain has more right to this city than either Greece or Turkey. Just putting that out there

I think it should be Vatican

LOL

And why, may I ask, is that?

-Akolouthos

I have missed some posts Confused
Why Vatican? So that they get something larger...
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Julius Augustus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 14:53
but they did occupy the area. another statement to write, it might belong to the Thracians as well.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 14:07
This city was not build by Romans -- it is older than that. As far as I know, some claim it is Greek colony while others that it is Thracian city. Greek colony seems to be more likely as Thracians mostly lived  deep inland.
Julius Augustus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 13:18
this is moot and academic, if by fact that you are using former nations ruling Constantinople such as the Greeks and stating that this city belongs to them then you have to state it as well that this city, which was built by the Romans belongs to them more so or the Persians who ruled the lands before them or the Lydians or may be the Trojans. it belongs to who is in it right now I say. not the Greeks, not the Romans, not the Persians nor the Trojans, to the Turks. 
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 11:34

Don't preach to me on morality while excluding Britain's notorious history of consistent repression throughout its colonial enterprise.

Guanatamo Bay is outside of the US, and is not representative of internal US dynamics. Last time I checked I can go outside freely and protest any issue I deem contestable. The actions done under the American banner such as Guanatamo are horrid, though not representative of how actually internal American dynamics function so your statement is false.

That can be applied for any other country. America is neutral, Congress isn't....

This is amazing. And those people tend to teach democracy the whole word LOL
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 10:50
Might makes right, etc, etc.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 11:20
Originally posted by Brit 456767

Also Britain is neutral, the House of Commons isn't.

And that just about sums up British Politics...
ha, no way. Most Greeks would disagree, they are about as neutral as Isreal

Britain was involved in the Greek civil war to start with, and is too involved in Cyprus to be considered a neutral power.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 18:05

Not the USA, they can't rule their own country freely.

And the award for most asinine comment goes to...

We rule our own country freely, Ouch how un-free is our ruling of the USA exactly. We have an electoral process, a parliament, a president, every state has individual rights to determine state policy, etc...

And Guantanamo Bay is?????

Then there is the fact you have capital punishment, different laws in different places...

Don't preach to me on morality while excluding Britain's notorious history of consistent repression throughout its colonial enterprise.

Guanatamo Bay is outside of the US, and is not representative of internal US dynamics. Last time I checked I can go outside freely and protest any issue I deem contestable. The actions done under the American banner such as Guanatamo are horrid, though not representative of how actually internal American dynamics function so your statement is false.

That can be applied for any other country. America is neutral, Congress isn't....
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 17:51
Originally posted by xristar

We will cross the river, we will break your front, we will encircle you. Then we'll proceed to Constantinople. We'll enter the city and rise the Greek flag. We'll also put some cross on Agia Sofia.
Satisfied?
Dead

I mean, what's the answer to this question supposed to be?

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 16:56

Gog and Magog will come and take every piece of Costanbul

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 16:47

Not the USA, they can't rule their own country freely.

And the award for most asinine comment goes to...

We rule our own country freely, Ouch how un-free is our ruling of the USA exactly. We have an electoral process, a parliament, a president, every state has individual rights to determine state policy, etc...

And Guantanamo Bay is?????

Then there is the fact you have capital punishment, different laws in different places...

Edited by Brit 456767 - 19-Feb-2008 at 16:49
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 16:08
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Being flippant here. Let's take Megara from Greece and control of the Ithsmus canal, and Constantinople from Turkey with control of the Bosphorus and Hellespont and join them back together. Two city states with a common history, and today centred on control of naval passageways, reunited.

I suggested that earlier in the thread too
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 16:07
Originally posted by xristar

We will cross the river, we will break your front, we will encircle you. Then we'll proceed to Constantinople. We'll enter the city and rise the Greek flag. We'll also put some cross on Agia Sofia.
Satisfied?

Dead
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 08:55
What should be illegal?

Victory needs none.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 03:47
Its only illegal if you "think" what you are doing is illegal
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 02:28
No. I thought this subforum was for semi-serious discussion, not totally irrelevant nonsense.

By the way, what's with all these videos in YouTube? Isn't that illegal?
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 02:23
Satisfied?

Victory needs none.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 02:18
i did...
watch the very informative video

Victory needs none.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>