Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mormons - how many wives were they orignally..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mormons - how many wives were they orignally..
    Posted: 05-Jan-2008 at 22:05
..allowed by your prophet Joseph Smith and Brigham Young?
Was it like Islam limited to a certain number or as many as they, in the 1800's, could support?

I realize today the main stream Mormon Church only allows one wife per man but there are a few sect who pratice it.
I have also heard rumors that some Mormons marry one wife legally and the others they secretly marry in the church and live with them.
True or false
I realize that this is not true about most Mormons but a few might do it.

what do you know about the God-Adam belief?
We now have two Mormon temples in the cities of Spokane- Spokane Valley with that golden angel on top blowing the trumpet.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2008 at 16:50
Originally posted by eaglecap

..allowed by your prophet Joseph Smith and Brigham Young?
Was it like Islam limited to a certain number or as many as they, in the 1800's, could support? 

It was as many as they could support.  The Mormons were attempting to re create many of the cultural / religous practices of ancient Israel.  This included a new chosen people (Mormons), with new prophets (Joseph Smith, Young etc), new revelations (Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price, Doctrine and Covenant), new temples and of course, polygamy.

Utah was presented as the new promised land and the Mormon forced migration to Utah as identical to that of the  Isrealities escaping  from Egypt to Israel.  For many years, Mormons called non Mormons "gentiles". 

what do you know about the God-Adam belief? 
Nothing, but bear in mind that Mormonism as been steadily mainstreaming since 1970.  Several of the more ehr..."unusual" beliefs have been quietly either  "de emphasized", modified  or dropped.    The Mormon faith today is not the same faith as it was prior to 1970.

Edited by Cryptic - 07-Jan-2008 at 17:12
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2008 at 19:41
I think it would have evolved differently if the US Government had not taken over the Mexican territories and intervened with them such as polygomy. I know the US goverment threatened to cede them back to Mexico unless that changed this doctrine. I do believe it was their Prophet Brigham Young who suddenly had a revelation and suddenly changed it to one wife only.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2008 at 21:23

I do believe it was their Prophet Brigham Young who suddenly had a revelation and suddenly changed it to one wife only.

Yes, it was Brigham Young.   The issue of sudden revelations aside, Brigham Young was a very capable and wise leader.  When faced with changes ordered from outside powers, many other theocrats would have ordered their followers to fight a holy war rather than change the religion or surrender their own authority.

Young, however, saw the "writing on the wall".  Utah was eventually going to become a state instead of a Mormon theocracy.   The rest of the USA was not going to accept polygamy.   Armed resistance (holy war) was futile, would result in the loss of many Mormon lives and would probably result in the destruction of Mormonism as a functioning religion.

Brigham Young then took the big step by renouncing alot of his personal power and by banning polygamy through a sudden revelation.   No lives were lost and the Mormon religion survives and thrives.

Edited by Cryptic - 07-Jan-2008 at 21:25
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2008 at 23:26
Young, however, saw the "writing on the wall". Utah was eventually going to become a state instead of a Mormon theocracy.   The rest of the USA was not going to accept polygamy.   Armed resistance (holy war) was futile,

I agree with this and yes the face of Mormonism would be different today, a theocracy for sure. Most Mormons today embrace seperation of chruch and state and the US constitution but under a true Mormon theocracy it would have been different, very different.

I will have to look it up but there was a slaughter of innocent settlers by a group of Mormons and their Indian allies- can anyone recall this incident?
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2008 at 21:14
Originally posted by Cryptic

I do believe it was their Prophet Brigham Young who suddenly had a revelation and suddenly changed it to one wife only.

Yes, it was Brigham Young.   The issue of sudden revelations aside, Brigham Young was a very capable and wise leader.  When faced with changes ordered from outside powers, many other theocrats would have ordered their followers to fight a holy war rather than change the religion or surrender their own authority.

Young, however, saw the "writing on the wall".  Utah was eventually going to become a state instead of a Mormon theocracy.   The rest of the USA was not going to accept polygamy.   Armed resistance (holy war) was futile, would result in the loss of many Mormon lives and would probably result in the destruction of Mormonism as a functioning religion.

Brigham Young then took the big step by renouncing alot of his personal power and by banning polygamy through a sudden revelation.   No lives were lost and the Mormon religion survives and thrives.

Remember the controversy over polygamy was also one of the reason's why Utah didn't become a state until the practice was abandoned by the Jesus Christ Church of Latter-Day Saints. However they doesn't stop many especially more fringe elements in the state from still continuing the practice even to this day in many areas of the state.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 03:07

I will have to look it up but there was a slaughter of innocent settlers by a group of Mormons and their Indian allies- can anyone recall this incident?

Of course that would be the Mormon War or perhaps the Utah War.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 04:21
Originally posted by JanusRook

I will have to look it up but there was a slaughter of innocent
settlers by a group of Mormons and their Indian allies- can anyone
recall this incident?
Of course that would be the Mormon War or perhaps the Utah War.

It was the Utah war or the Mountain Meadow massacre.
The confrontation between the Mormon militia and the U.S. Army involved some destruction of property but no actual battles between the contending military forces. However, at the height of the conflict, more than 100 California-bound settlers from Arkansas were killed by Mormon militia allied with local Paiutes, in what was later called the Mountain Meadows massacre.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 18:20

However, at the height of the conflict, more than 100 California-bound settlers from Arkansas were killed by Mormon militia allied with local Paiutes, in what was later called the Mountain Meadows massacre.

As a side note, almost all the settlers were killed after they surrendered and were in Mormon custody.   It is very hard to find unbiased information on the incident.  I have read some accounts stating that there were very few Piautes present during the siege and that there were none present when the settlers surrendered.

Edited by Cryptic - 22-Jan-2008 at 18:51
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2008 at 19:32
Originally posted by Cryptic

However, at the height of the conflict, more than 100 California-bound settlers from Arkansas were killed by Mormon militia allied with local Paiutes, in what was later called the Mountain Meadows massacre.

As a side note, almost all the settlers were killed after they surrendered and were in Mormon custody. It is very hard to find unbiased information on the incident. I have read some accounts stating that there were very few Piautes present duringthe siege and that there were none present when the settlers surrendered.

It happened and it is now history and the Mormon church has greatly reformed since then. I know there are some sects or off shoots that still practice polygomy. I also heard rumors that some Mormons will marry in the church more wives but this could be false or more likely some offshoots. I do not think the main stream Mormon church would allow this. There use to be several Mormons on this site- what happened?
confessor View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote confessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2008 at 19:30
well, what happened to the mormons on this site, was that one i dont know, he just stopped posting completely, while the other left on a mission to arizona.

about the mountain meadow massacre, all, it was a "venture" i guess you could say, that was unsantctioned by the leaders, and the members of that "venture" were excummicated for what they did.

about God being Adam, no, mormoms do not, nor ever believe that Adam was God.

and about polygamy, it was not Young that had the revaltion about ending polygamy, it was President Wilford Woodfruw(sp) that had the revaltion.

lets see, was there anything else i missed? let me see...
confessor View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote confessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2008 at 19:31
just curious, what
"Several of the more ehr..."unusual" beliefs"
 are you refering to?
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2008 at 23:43

Innocent settlers?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2008 at 05:42
I have been a member of the LDS church for 16 years, which by no means makes me an expert in Mormon history.  For what its worth I have a few random comments relating to the previous posts:

Yes, the Mountain Meadows Massacre was a brutal slaughter of unarmed men, women, and children.  Yes it was organized and carried out by local church members.  No, there is no good evidence indicating that church leaders beyond the local level were involved.  Brigham Young condemned the act after the fact.  The church has erected a memorial, but has never apologized or admitted responsibility (for which it has received much criticism).

The practice of polygamy by members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is prohibited.  Those who break this law are excommunicated.  There are several groups who identify themselves as "Mormon" that practice polygamy.  These groups are in no way affiliated with the LDS church.  On the contrary, they are a thorn in the church's side because every time one of their leaders rapes a 13-year-old the press gets the story and doesn't make the effort to distinguish between the mainstream LDS church and the group that is committing the crime.

Wilford Woodruff received the revelation banning plural marriage.  Brigham Young had over 50 wives and he never gave any indication that the practice should be discontinued.

Past LDS leaders have stated that the US Constitution was a divinely inspired document.   As a group, Mormons are politically conservative and very patriotic.

The angel on the temple is Moroni.

As previously stated, LDS doctrine does not teach that Adam was God.  We believe in God the Father, in Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost like all Christians.  However, the doctrine parts from "orthodox" Christianity in that we believe the three are separate personages (ie Jesus is not the mortal manifestation of God the Father, but rather his son).  This was never difficult for me to accept, but I suppose it could be considered one of the "unusual" beliefs.

P.S.- Would also like to add my kudos to this thread.  While not all the info is 100 percent accurate, I found the questions to be genuine and the posts to be respectful.  In my limited experiences on other boards, this is not typically the case.  Thanks.

Edited by Vir0n - 06-Mar-2008 at 05:48
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2008 at 18:23
Past LDS leaders have stated that the US Constitution was a divinely inspired document.   As a group, Mormons are politically conservative and very patriotic.

My old hiking partner was a very devote Mormon and he use to tell me this all the time. He moved to Salt Lake City to find a wife. I hope he found a good one and is still married.

As previously stated, LDS doctrine does not teach that Adam was God. We believe in God the Father, in Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost like all Christians. However, the doctrine parts from "orthodox" Christianity in that we believe the three are separate personages (ie Jesus is not the mortal manifestation of God the Father, but rather his son). This was never difficult for me to accept, but I suppose it could be considered one of the "unusual" beliefs.

That is interesting and I respect your beliefs. Rejecting the belief that Jesus is the manifestation of God or the unity of the Trinity is why the main stream churches- Protestant, Catholic, Orthodox- think Mormonism is a heresy. In America you have the right to believe whatever convicts you in my humble opinion and most Mormons are really good people so I hope your faith blesses your life. We have two temples in Spokane and many Mormons. I grew up Protestant (Lutheran) and Greek Orthodox.

Edited by eaglecap - 10-Mar-2008 at 18:28
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2008 at 20:16
I wonder why if God told their Prophet that many wives were ok but when they came under pressure from the US government Brigham young suddenly said God changed his mind and now you can have only one wife-???
I wonder how much their doctrine has changed over time?
I was shown a 1950's version of the book of Mormon and then a newer one and some versus were totally omitted- why??
I do not care what one believes and today many Mormons live a good Christian lifestyle but still I wonder. I do believe that if they had remained isolated Mormonism would be different today. I should ask these of my Mormons friends but I avoid religion with them to prevent conflict.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2008 at 22:41

I wonder why if God told their Prophet that many wives were ok but when they came under pressure from the US government Brigham young suddenly said God changed his mind and now you can have only one wife-???

As above, Brigham Young did not ban polygamy, Wilford Woodruff did.  In either case, the saints faced prosecution and occupation by the federal government if the practice was not discontinued.  Whether the revelation ending polygamy was divinely inspired or just a pragmatic decision is a matter of faith.  This is no different than any religious belief.

The fundamental principles of the gospel have not changed.  Certainly the focus has shifted over time, but the beliefs and principles are the same.  As far as plural marriage goes, the practice has been discontinued, but the fundamental beliefs about Celestial marriage have not changed.

I was shown a 1950's version of the book of Mormon and then a newer one and some versus were totally omitted- why??

The changes from the 1830 edition are well documented.  They are mainly grammatical and syntactical, but there were some verses changed to clarify content.  I do not believe that any of the changes changed the fundamental doctrinal content.  The same criticism can be made of any scripture.  The Bible has been extensively redacted and edited, but people of faith still believe it to be the word of God.  As for the 1950's version, I have never heard of any such changes in such a recent edition (not even by the most severe critics).  I would be interested to know the specific verses you refer to.

I do not care what one believes and today many Mormons live a good Christian lifestyle but still I wonder. I do believe that if they had remained isolated Mormonism would be different today. I should ask these of my Mormons friends but I avoid religion with them to prevent conflict.

Any faithful member who knows his religion should be able to answer your questions in an intelligent manner without conflict (especially if you are friends).  The LDS religion is truly a way of life.  Faithful Latter-day Saints who are living their religion view themselves as Christians, and attempt to emulate Christ and His teachings.  Some of the doctrines may seem strange, but when considered objectively are they any more peculiar than any other religious beliefs?  The difference is one of perspective.

Last week the church opened a new webpage coinciding with the annual Easter edition of the Ensign (church magazine) which is solely about Christ.  Anyone who questions whether Mormons are Christians should give it a look.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2008 at 00:51
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

I will have to look it up but there was a slaughter of innocent
settlers by a group of Mormons and their Indian allies- can anyone
recall this incident?
Innocent settlers?

Meaning the attack was unprovoked!
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2008 at 00:54
Originally posted by Vir0n

As above, Brigham Young did not ban polygamy, Wilford Woodruff did. In either case, the saints faced prosecution and occupation by the federal government if the practice was not discontinued. Whether the revelation ending polygamy was divinely inspired or just a pragmatic decision is a matter of faith. This is no different than any religious belief.

The fundamental principles of the gospel have not changed. Certainly the focus has shifted over time, but the beliefs and principles are the same. As far as plural marriage goes, the practice has been discontinued, but the fundamental beliefs about Celestial marriage have not changed.

The changes from the 1830 edition are well documented. They are mainly grammatical and syntactical, but there were some verses changed to clarify content. I do not believe that any of the changes changed the fundamental doctrinal content. The same criticism can be made of any scripture. The Bible has been extensively redacted and edited, but people of faith still believe it to be the word of God. As for the 1950's version, I have never heard of any such changes in such a recent edition (not even by the most severe critics). I would be interested to know the specific verses you refer to.

Any faithful member who knows his religion should be able to answer your questions in an intelligent manner without conflict (especially if you are friends). The LDS religion is truly a way of life. Faithful Latter-day Saints who are living their religion view themselves as Christians, and attempt to emulate Christ and His teachings. Some of the doctrines may seem strange, but when considered objectively are they any more peculiar than any other religious beliefs? The difference is one of perspective.Last week the church opened a new webpage coinciding with the annual Easter edition of the Ensign (church magazine) which is solely about Christ. Anyone who questions whether Mormons are Christians should give it a look.

good reply
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2008 at 01:07

good reply

Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>