Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

It's a waste of time becoming a medieval historian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It's a waste of time becoming a medieval historian
    Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 16:24
Originally posted by Al Jassas

As for you Parnell, god willing, I will dig up the legal history of Ireland and will definitely find a similar case to this.

We have our demons (Sending children to Industrial schools to get raped, sending women who had pre marital sex to Magdalene Laundaries, which were practically prisons) but we don't try and defend them.

The woman regardless of what happened to her BROKE the law.

I don't know just how primitive your nation is, but that law is stupid.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 16:44
Originally posted by Parnell

I felt sick when I read this. Any defense of the sentance imposed on a woman who was raped, I repeat WHO WAS RAPED, is automatically discredited and should be completely ignored. Thats just my opinion though, try to 'convert' this monster who believes she is a slut and 'had it coming' or whatever if you want, but I'm staying out of it.
By monster you were not perchance reffering to Al-Jassas?
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 16:59

Yes. I don't know what its like were you are from, but its considered a social no-no over here to imply that a woman 'has it coming to her' if she is a little promiscous or leaves little to the imagination when wearing clothes. Attitudes like these are disgusting and people who promote them are sick vermin.

Edited by Parnell - 04-Dec-2007 at 17:00
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 17:19
What people "where I come from" think is of course irrelevent to this thread. But, I must ask you very politely to refrain from referring to other members as "monsters" or "vermin".
Mughal e Azam View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 17:52
No one here said she "had it coming" Parnell. I dont know what the level of reading comprehension in your country is.

Just for the record; as an individual i dont practice such stringent and rigid morality; although I can analyze its effects well.

I find that the ability to recognize the social effects on people of different things varies greatly.
The Chinese, for example, have a different understanding of religion than the Africans.
The Chinese also have a different philosophy of leadership (Son of Heaven) than the Persians who differ from the Americans. I feel sociology should definitely be required in most History Colleges.

Edited by Mughaal - 11-Mar-2008 at 09:58
Mughal e Azam
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 17:59
Originally posted by Mughaal

I dont know what the level of reading comprehension in your country is.

I will elaborate later but the women (who is married by the way) was a well known HOOKER, a prostitute, a sl*t. She used to go on double dates, play on many strings and in the end she was raped.
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 18:02
Originally posted by Mughaal

No one here said she "had it coming" Parnell. I dont know what the level of reading comprehension in your country is.

Although if you make an open target of yourself; your more likely to get hit; isnt it? (if thats what your referring to)

You can't honestly be serious...? By exercising the freedom to wear clothes that don't resemble black bedsheets, a woman "opens herself" u to rape? Golly, if every woman who wore little clothing (say, bikinis at the beach) got raped worldwide, almost every woman in the west would have been raped! Which isn't quite the case. Are you implying that the burkha was designed as form of "self-defense" for women in the middle east, to protect them from marauding rapists? Or is it more so just a method of societal control to keep women relegated to he fringes and background of society? I'm guessing the latter...

And, Parnell, while I share some of your sentiments (as per disagreeing with some specific human-rights related aspects of Saudi society), I do not share your intolerant attitude. We're here to discuss and debate, not to demonize or insult other members. Name-calling is a childish action; the Mods aren't going to have to put you in time-out, are they?

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 18:06
I shouldn't have reacted the way I did I suppose, but the sentiment in those posts made me feel sick. Everyone has the right to their opinion (No matter how horrible) but I also have a right to display my righteous indignation at someone elses evil opinions. I suppose we should have 'tolerated' Adolf Hitler's Nazi regime as well?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 18:12

Reductio ad Hitlerum, is not a very convincing arguement, Parnell. Hitler and the Nazis were directly responsible for the deaths of millions of people. The Saudis merely have rather strange sexual mores. Perspective is important.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 18:23

It is important to remember Rape doesnt happen for sex. It happens for power.

However when a woman engages in risky behaviour, she is more likely to face ...how to say...unwelcomed interest?

We all understand how human sexuality works. The first thing a person notices is the physical charms of another. But when you are engaging in suspicous behavior you increase the chances of getting hurt. So in a sense she was not using her brain and increasing her chances of hurt.

Edited by Mughaal - 04-Dec-2007 at 18:23
Mughal e Azam
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 18:23
Originally posted by Sparten

Reductio ad Hitlerum, is not a very convincing arguement, Parnell. Hitler and the Nazis were directly responsible for the deaths of millions of people. The Saudis merely have rather strange sexual mores. Perspective is important.

Saudi's believe a woman is incapable of driving a car for pity's sake.

I think Islam is a religion just like any other (Such as Christianity) I think that when its in the hands of fanatics, like Christianity, it can become a grave and horrible evil.

We shouldn't disregard this evil simply because its become a slur to denounce Wahabism, or the evil Islamic sects running much of the Middle East.

'Strange sexual mores' might be a societies adversion for promiscuity. Thats acceptable and understandable. 'Strange sexual mores' shouldn't be a repression for 50% of the population on the grounds that they have a vagina.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 18:27
And the Saudis are not the first ones to have done so. And they won't be the last. Dose that that make it excuseable? No. Dose that make them the equivalent of the Nazis? Hell no.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 18:29
Saudi belief that women shouldnt drive cars is a cultural issue; not a religious one.

And to tell you the truth, if they do drive cars, or if some women do, other "old school" women would gossip about them.

Why? I have no clue. Its just what i seen. They dont drive cars.
Gulf women, Yemeni women, Omani, Jordani, Syrian all drive cars. Saudis dont.

But i think it shouldnt be "against the law" per say.

Edited by Mughaal - 11-Mar-2008 at 09:57
Mughal e Azam
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 19:16
Originally posted by Sparten

And the Saudis are not the first ones to have done so. And they won't be the last. Dose that that make it excuseable? No. Dose that make them the equivalent of the Nazis? Hell no.

I don't think you got my point. All I was saying was that tolerance shouldn't get in the way of truth. If someone is literally abusing women, should you and I not have the right to speak out against that, even if it offends a few cavemen still catching up on the Middle Ages?
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 22:21
Hello to you all

I have already posted over ten times in this thread, I suggest reading all of them before judging me. Believe me, I have been called far worse than monster or primative and I never repented what I said unless I found it wrong.

Using this case to demonize the entire country is outrageous, yes, the judicial system is very broken (a real Bleak House like case took 25 years to settle) and the government is trying to fix it and I am actually one of the most outspoken critics of the judiciary (at least within friends and family, my father was a legal clerk and my younger brother is a lawyer).

As Mughaal said, this is a cultural issue, you cannot change peoples attitudes in a single day. The social establishment here is even more stronger than the religious one and in many court cases it was the social attitude not even Sharia the winner, like the time a woman was divorced by a judge because her husband was of a lower social class or the other case when a judge dismissed a woman who was disinherited by her brothers from her husband inheretence. If the government interfered the entire social order of the country will fall and civil unrest will happnen.

Al-Jassas
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 23:54
The idea that women can do nothing to protect themselves from a potential rapist is ludicrous. Rapists do not strike completely randomly.

You can do things to protect yourself, and in countries with poorer security you must do more. Badmouthing those who would teach their daughters such skills by saying "They are blaming the girl for getting raped" is an extrodinarily dangerous thing to do.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2007 at 00:51
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

The idea that women can do nothing to protect themselves from a potential rapist is ludicrous. Rapists do not strike completely randomly.You can do things to protect yourself, and in countries with poorer security you must do more. Badmouthing those who would teach their daughters such skills by saying "They are blaming the girl for getting raped" is an extrodinarily dangerous thing to do.

True. Trouble is there is short way from this and to implying the women bear a part of the moral responsibility for the rape itself, which detracts some of the guilt from the rapist. It stems from the old fashioned (but not necessarily invalid) idea that a woman should exibit a minimum level of modesty if she is to be considered "decent" and thus be less likely to become a target of rape.

So how do we tell women to be careful without implying it's partly their fault if they happen to be molested? In analogy it's entirely uncontroversial to warn someone about wearing f.ex. expensive jewelry visibly while passing through a bad a neighbourhood, as they're likely to get robbed. While they bear no moral guilt for the crime it's undeniable they impacted the chain of events by wearing the jewelry in the first place. Likewise you could say that a woman who walks around downtown in the middle of night, alone and maybe even drunk, is more liable to be the victim of rape (or any other form of crime) than someone who takes precautions not to end up in this situation, even though they're both equally undeserving of such a crime. It's not a question of putting any of the blame on the woman, it's a question of common sense seen in light of statistics; most rapes (here at least) happen downtown between midnight and dawn, the victims are nearly always alone and very often affected by alcohol (partying is after all the reason they're out this late in the first place).

In an ideal world they should of course be able to go downtown naked, drink all night and stumble home alone through dark alleys without risking anything, but until we get there we should be more careful.
Crystall View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Crystall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2007 at 01:45
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Hello guys

I have a quiz in an hour's time but when I read this thread, the hell with the quizz.

First of all, please, do not philosophize about a case that you know absolutely nothing about it. You were not present during the original trial nor during the actual appeal. I will elaborate later but the women (who is married by the way) was a well known HOOKER, a prostitute, a sl*t. She used to go on double dates, play on many strings and in the end she was raped. The case is quite complicated but to make thing short, the punishment mentioned above is actually rather merciful, she committed, based on testimony and her own confession Grand Adultry the punishment of which is stoning in both Shia and Sunni jurispudence. I will explain the full detailes of the case later.

Al-Jassas

Even if this is the case, which we cannot be sure, her acts are not totally "moral" I will agree.  This "merciful" punishment, as you say, does anyone else agree?

She was raped and violated, she might of put herself in a bad position but in no way was it her fault, and she should not be punished, especially not by being whiped, what kind of punishment is this, the middle ages? (as the topic suggests I guess)
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2007 at 02:10
Originally posted by Brian J Checco

Name-calling is a childish action; the Mods aren't going to have to put you in time-out, are they?

Brian, don't patronise. You are not a mod. I agree almost fully with Parnell on this one, except for the name-calling, that just weakens a valid argument. In this case, the fact that the girl had 'questionable' behaviour patterns is, in my view totally irrelevant to the discussion on her rape.

Her behaviour, respecting fully the laws of her nation, is a matter to be dealt with by the courts. She was punished for her behaviour by law, I don't agree with the laws but that is irrelevant here. Her actions solicited, under Islamic law, reprimand. Her rape, sorry gang-rape, cannot be viewed as cause and effect here, as this both infringes on the objectivity of the law, and the personal rights she possesses.

Her rape and this behaiour should never be bundled together in some vague and somewhat worrying attempt to rationalise the actions of the men and the ordeal she was put through. Please seperate these issues, Al Jassas and Mughaal, or at the very least explain why you think both should be discussed in tandem, because I can see absolutely no reason why they should be.

It quite frankly does disgust me when in a topic on the gang-rape of a girl, it is deemed necessary to exclaim that she was a slut, and a whore, and a hooker. Lets objectify the girl, take the person away from the face and the face away from the story, lets throw her into a category that we all care-less about, because that makes us all feel better about ourselves.

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2007 at 02:13
Just fascinating to see how people of different cultures view a topic.  Sociology is certainly a worthy study.  
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>