Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Ancient Military Power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: What ancient military power had the greatest army?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [10.81%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.35%]
1 [1.35%]
2 [2.70%]
3 [4.05%]
10 [13.51%]
40 [54.05%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.70%]
7 [9.46%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Ancient Military Power
    Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 00:23
The%20Hunnic%20Empire%20stretched%20from%20the%20steppes%20of%20Central%20Asia%20into%20modern%20Germany,%20and%20from%20the%20Black%20Sea%20to%20the%20Baltic%20Sea

Hunnic Empire

Parthian Empire (Pink)

The Parthian Empire extended further east than the Hunnic Empire did, as seen above.

Scythia also had borders extending to the Himalayan mountains.

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 14-Nov-2007 at 00:26
What is the officer problem?
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2007 at 04:00
Originally posted by deadkenny

I agree with an earlier comment, it's pretty tough to compare 'armies' that existed in very different time periods.  What we typically refer to as 'ancient' spans many centuries.  Rome was 'dominant' for an extended period of time.  But does longevity factor into the determination of which 'army'  was 'greatest'?  The Macedonian 'army' under Alexander the Great was certainly dominant in it's campaign to the east, and took on the largest most powerful force within its 'reach'.  The disciplined heavy cavalry of the Macedonians would definitely have given any Roman 'army' a difficult time, short of the late era western Romans (hardly really 'Roman' anymore) or Byzantine army which were much more cavalry 'heavy' forces themselves.  Should Macedonian be assumed to be included under 'Greeks', or 'Other'?  BTW, why are the 'Lydians' listed at all?  Do they have some 'claim' to being the 'greatest' that I am unaware of, especially given the exclusion of so many other 'candidates' worthy of consideration?

Lydia was able to assemble large quantities of cavalry. Their horsemen were some of the best of their time period, as they were well trained, and given a long lance to charge down enemy troops. The Lydian army had hoplites of their own, a challenge to any army that opposed them. The empire was also an empire of diplomacy. In addition to the cavalry and hoplites, there were infantry from Egypt, Babylonian archers, and European swordsmen.

Lydian infantry

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 21-Nov-2007 at 04:01
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2007 at 11:51
Again I have to say this is really in itself a meaningless poll.

All armies listed were in different places in different times doing different things.

What criteria do you have for comparison ?

Of course, if just want to say how good your favourite was, fine.
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2007 at 14:04
This topic and topics like it are the "Blood and Guts" of AE. If you have anything to add to this topic, then please post it, if you do not have anything to add, do not post. There is no reason of posting pointless things. Thirdly, if you had already posted that this is a "meaningless" poll, then why post it again?. You have 198 posts at this time, how many of those were opinions in this sort of poll?

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 21-Nov-2007 at 14:06
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2007 at 14:35
These polls are basically meaningless. They add absolutley nothing because no comparison criteria are given in order to make a comparison in order to give a meaningful vote. Polls are to my mind far away from the Blood and Guts which you use. Yes polls properly set up with proper criteria are fine but this type of one is really meaningless.

Please feel free to track down as many of my threads as you wish. You probably won't find any more for this thread but you might on two others of a similar ilk. Whre I may say I got a much more courteous reply agreeing with me 
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2007 at 23:37

Save your negativity for somewhere else.

Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 13:58
Originally posted by Peteratwar

These polls are basically meaningless. They add absolutley nothing because no comparison criteria are given in order to make a comparison in order to give a meaningful vote. Polls are to my mind far away from the Blood and Guts which you use. Yes polls properly set up with proper criteria are fine but this type of one is really meaningless.

Please feel free to track down as many of my threads as you wish. You probably won't find any more for this thread but you might on two others of a similar ilk. Whre I may say I got a much more courteous reply agreeing with me 

if it so meaningless leave  the topic...and leave alone those who want dispute about "meaningless" thing...
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2008 at 04:24
I think so much depends on the leadership of a military force that it's hard to say one was the "greatest". The Romans suffered some catastrophic defeats during their history and a lot of it depended on who was leading a particular legion(s) or fighting a certain battle against whom and where, etc. There are just too many factors to consider. In the macro view of ancient history over a millennia or so, there's no doubt that the Roman military was the greatest. If we focus on more specific periods, we can debate and argue all night long about who the "greatest" was. But in terms of outright military dominance over a short period of time, I don't think there's any doubt that Alexander and his Macedonian army were in a class of their own.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2008 at 09:23
Since ancient warfare lasted and developed for thousands of years, this thread is a difficult one to reply to. The Assyrian empire at the time of the siege of Lachish, for example, was the most superior and excellent army the world had ever seen without fail. About 1'500 years earlier it was the Akkadian empire, so it's very hard to answer these questions without really saying what specific period in ancient history you mean. I chose "romans" because in the wide period we call "ancient history" (around 4000 BC - 476 AD) they were overall the best drilled fighting force, but this is in the imperial period. The "Romans" who repulsed the Gauls in 390/389 BC and the "Romans" who faced the early etruscan kingdoms in the monarchial period (753 - 509 BC) were extremely different and neither qualifies to being the great fighting force that the Julio-Claudian legions were. Overall, yes, I would say the Roman legions at the high imperial time were the apex of Roman military development, but earlier, I would have to say the Macedonian phalanx and some of the Diadochi siege forces of the Antigonids, such as Demetrius's "Agepolis" - one of the largest pieces of siege equipment to ever exist. However I'd say that putting those such as Akkadians, Early Dynastic Egyptians, Elamites, Sumerians and Early Persians on the list really is a waste of time because these were the start of military manpower and since not much had existed prior, we don't know upon what criteria to judge them. One thing I would say to people such as "peteratwar", I do understand your fustration, but fundamentally this is an educational forum and anything that stimulates debate can't be a bad thing now can it?

Edited by Aster Thrax Eupator - 17-Mar-2008 at 09:23
Julius Augustus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 07:26
I voted for Rome but would have voted for Persia if it was renamed to Iranian, the Samartians, Scythians, Alans and etc all spoke a language similar to the Persians, the problem was that they were never united, unlike the Greek world at that time might have been a different story if the Scythians as a whole joined the Persians, gave them a composite bow and etc. 
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 08:06
Sassanid Persians were one of the mightiest ancient forces. They have beaten Roman armies several times, conquered Egypt, held all Eurasian barbarians out of middle east and beat them several times. Sassanid heavy cavalries and war elephants were among the deadliest warring machines.  

Edited by Suren - 24-Mar-2008 at 09:35
Anfører
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2008 at 16:50
suren, that is an amazing picture, where did you find that? 
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2008 at 20:32
Originally posted by JUliusAugustus

suren, that is an amazing picture, where did you find that? 

Go to Google Images and type in Sassanid war elephant, it is the first picture.
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 00:23
thanks darius, by the way, where in iran is this? 
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 00:40
It is in the Bastan Arch in Kermanshah. The arch dates back to 590 to 628 A.D.

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 05-Apr-2008 at 01:03
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 00:46
Originally posted by Darius of Parsa

It is in the Bastan Arch in Kermanshah. The arch dates back to 590 to 628 B.C.

are you sure about the time Darius? 590 BC? or is it AD? I think the Sassanians are from a time of 220 AD to 600 AD or something like that. or I might be mistaken?
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 01:03
Sorry about that, I normally deal with history B.C, so it is natural for me to write it. It is A.D. The Sassanid Era lasted from 226-651 A.D.

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 05-Apr-2008 at 01:05
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 01:59
no problem darius, it was a typo most probably. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2008 at 21:19
why no body chose carthage? they are great kingdom and nearly defeat roman
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2008 at 04:10
They were a great Mediterranean power, since the city was created in 814 B.C by the Phoenicians. Xerxes of Persia is said to have made a "Carthaginian Alliance" for aid against Greece. Phoenicia was in Persian possession, so Carthage was Persia's ally as well. Many people here focus on armies rather than navies. The Carthaginian navy was one of the best of its time, defeating early Roman navies in the Mediterranean. Only when the Romans used Greek sailors and ships did the Romans have an edge against Carthage at sea.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>