Print Page | Close Window

Greatest Ancient Military Power

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: General History
Forum Name: Military History
Forum Discription: Discussions related to military history: generals, battles, campaigns, etc.
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21977
Printed Date: 24-Apr-2024 at 04:14
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Greatest Ancient Military Power
Posted By: Darius of Parsa
Subject: Greatest Ancient Military Power
Date Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 06:25
What ancient military power had the greatest army available during their time period?

-------------
What is the officer problem?

Replies:
Posted By: Knights
Date Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 06:35
I went with the Romans. Superbly disciplined, drilled and strong army, especially infantry wise (not so much in terms of cavalry though).

-------------

Posted By: Thunder
Date Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 06:49
Romans. 

Date Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 06:51

I chose the Persians because of their deadly array of weapons including superb marksmanship (on ground and on horseback), their horsemanship, and their spear infantry (although not as effective against hoplites). The Persians were also one of the few empires to incorperate war elephants into their armies.

-------------

Posted By: Byzantine Emperor
Date Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 07:23
Darius,

Please try to keep the number of "Greatest/Worst" threads to a minimum.  We have had thousands of these over the years and they do get quite redundant after a while.

-------------
http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=12713 - Late Byzantine Military
http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=17337 - Ottoman perceptions of the Americas

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 10:56
not persian...Medopersians' military power was the greatest army Wink

Posted By: IDonT
Date Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 21:59
Where are the armies of Qin, Zhao, Han, and Mauryan kingdoms/empires?

Posted By: Athanasios
Date Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 03:15
I voted for the Greek warfare spirit (what a surprise eh?)

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 15:10
Where are the chinese?

Posted By: Praetor
Date Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 15:15
Where is the Han or Qin dynasty on this list? they are certainly more deserving then the "Celts" who were a cultural group not a state anyway (though admittedly with similar armed forces).

In any case I voted for The Roman army who ruled one of the vastest empires of the ancient world for one of the longest durations. It took an Economic crises or two, countless civil wars, numberless horde's of Barbarian invaders and the aggression of the powerful and militarily potent Sassanid Empire to over centuries destroy HALF this empire.

The Roman army was very adaptable and the Roman state as a whole very stubborn and tenacious under pressure. That is why I voted for the Romans though the issue is certainly up to debate.

Regards, Praetor.

-------------

Posted By: Siege Tower
Date Posted: 14-Oct-2007 at 04:36
How can we rank them, if they've never fought each other?

-------------

Posted By: Kamikaze 738
Date Posted: 14-Oct-2007 at 08:56
So, pro-western nations... typical but I guess I would go with either the Greeks or the Romans. They both were strong at their time and their legacy lasted for some time.

Posted By: Burdokva
Date Posted: 14-Oct-2007 at 09:34
In practise, the Romans. No question, they were superbly organised and motivated.
In theory, the Thracians. Had the latter united at some point before being conqured a tribe at the time by Rome history could have been different. Or not...

-------------
Unity makes Strenght

Posted By: Justinian
Date Posted: 14-Oct-2007 at 20:52
It was a toss up between the romans and the greeks.  I went with the roman legions.

-------------
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Date Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 22:12
People are voting...but not explaining why Cry Please take a moment and explain why you chose that nation after you vote!

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 06:27
The main reasons I chose the romans were:   their longevity, size of their empire, and ability to beat larger (numerically speaking) opponents or ones with superior arms. (cavalry, archers etc.)

-------------

Posted By: Adalwolf
Date Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 06:41
Rome.

-------------
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey

Date Posted: 19-Oct-2007 at 00:13
Originally posted by Justinian

The main reasons I chose the romans were:   their longevity, size of their empire, and ability to beat larger (numerically speaking) opponents or ones with superior arms. (cavalry, archers etc.)

It's still no where near the size and the powers of Qin and Han empires

-------------

Posted By: deadkenny
Date Posted: 19-Oct-2007 at 03:23
I agree with an earlier comment, it's pretty tough to compare 'armies' that existed in very different time periods.  What we typically refer to as 'ancient' spans many centuries.  Rome was 'dominant' for an extended period of time.  But does longevity factor into the determination of which 'army'  was 'greatest'?  The Macedonian 'army' under Alexander the Great was certainly dominant in it's campaign to the east, and took on the largest most powerful force within its 'reach'.  The disciplined heavy cavalry of the Macedonians would definitely have given any Roman 'army' a difficult time, short of the late era western Romans (hardly really 'Roman' anymore) or Byzantine army which were much more cavalry 'heavy' forces themselves.  Should Macedonian be assumed to be included under 'Greeks', or 'Other'?  BTW, why are the 'Lydians' listed at all?  Do they have some 'claim' to being the 'greatest' that I am unaware of, especially given the exclusion of so many other 'candidates' worthy of consideration?

Posted By: Ponce de Leon
Date Posted: 19-Oct-2007 at 04:27
How come the Nubians arent on this list?

Date Posted: 19-Oct-2007 at 04:52
Originally posted by Siege Tower

Originally posted by Justinian

It's still no where near the size and the powers of Qin and Han empires
Incorrect, the roman empire and han dynasty were roughly equal in size and population.  ~35-60 million.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Oct-2007 at 22:39

Han army obviously had better army and economy.

-------------

Posted By: Omnipotence
Date Posted: 20-Oct-2007 at 00:14
That's arugable. It depends on what section of the army you're talking about.

Posted By: andrew
Date Posted: 20-Oct-2007 at 01:43
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

How come the Nubians arent on this list?

They didn't really field an army, they used guerilla/hit and run tactics and tried to fight from afar using bows.

I'm surprised how little respect the Egyptians get. They were the first imperialist empire and used methods of warfare that gave them a big edge against the Nubians and Semites. The organization, and not to mention the first conscription service, was amazing for its time. When the Assyrians arose against the Egyptians at Meggido 20 Assyrian kings surrendered as the Egyptians army crushed an uprising that would normally destroy an empire.

Posted By: The Canadian Guy
Date Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 14:42
I vote Greeks, they have awesome military tactics and  battlefield formations. If it weren't form the Roman, it would be more than likely that the Grecians would control the Mediterranean.

-------------
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.

Posted By: Panther
Date Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 21:08
I went with other, or to be more specific... The Spartans. I mean it has to count for soemthing that their name came before and outlived most other ancient military powers, even before the Romans came along. For such a small defunct city state, with their name lasting for well over two thousands years... it still carries quite a punch in the modern westerners psyche!

Posted By: Knights
Date Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 23:13
Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

I vote Greeks, they have awesome military tactics and  battlefield formations. If it weren't form the Roman, it would be more than likely that the Grecians would control the Mediterranean.

But doesn't that imply that the Romans were superior? I don't think the Greek city-state structure could rule the Mediterranean. By the time of the 2nd century B.C., when Rome overran Greece, the phalanx and hoplite system was outdated, especially compared to the legions. I don't doubt the military competence of the Greeks at all - just look at the Spartans! However, Spartan society did not allow them to expand and adapt in the way that Rome could.

-------------

Posted By: Athanasios
Date Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 23:31
The most superior Greek state was Sicily.

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Oct-2007 at 01:04
I am surprised on how little the Assyrian Empire gets for its achievments. They were among the first users of siege equipment, they had catasrophic chariots, great cavarly skills, and fantastic infantry. In fact, the ancient empires feared Assyria for their skills (as well as brutality). The Achaemenid Persians also incorperated Assyrian tactics in their armies.

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Oct-2007 at 19:08
I think it is just because of the time period, if the greeks and romans were not in the poll I would think the assyrians would be getting a lot more support.  Because of the time period when they were at their peak, they simply did not conquer as large an area as the greeks or romans or persians.  I completely agree with your assessment of their achievements.  Spot on.  Development of cavalry and siege techniques are the major ones in my mind.  They truely dominated the fertile crescent. 

The forerunner of the romans is how I view them, take the knowledge of other cultures and improve upon that, military innovators and just the way they dominated their opponents for so long, also the way they governed through vassals or clients like the early principate.  The first military superpower of the fertile crescent.  Their influence whether direct, indirect or speculative on the military advancements of other cultures; cavalry and siege techniques have been mentioned, is there a connection between the assyrian phalanx and the greek?  Intriguing. 

-------------

Posted By: andrew
Date Posted: 31-Oct-2007 at 19:27
Originally posted by Darius of Parsa

I am surprised on how little the Assyrian Empire gets for its achievments. They were among the first users of siege equipment, they had catasrophic chariots, great cavarly skills, and fantastic infantry. In fact, the ancient empires feared Assyria for their skills (as well as brutality). The Achaemenid Persians also incorperated Assyrian tactics in their armies.

True, the Assyrians were very militaristic and advanced in military tactics. They did have many clashes with the Egyptians such as Meggido. They were feirce, ruthless, and very feared among the Middle East.

Posted By: SuN.
Date Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 05:52
The word ancient is very vague as it is very large. IT would be better to band the ancient period into different periods.

Date Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 13:23
You can't just have a poll about the best army and have no time period.  Each army can't be compared on a one on one basis with each other.  It has to be compared to its comtemporaries that exists at a certain point in time.

A roman army in 400 BCE is not an equal of a Spartan Army of the same time period.  Consequently, a Hellinistic army of the 1st century BCE is not equal to a Roman army of the same time period. 

Posted By: Praetor
Date Posted: 02-Nov-2007 at 06:23
The Assyrian's created one of the most effective fighting forces of their time, I agree and to further their case I would like to point out that they were not defeated by the Egyptians at Meggido. Thutmosis III defeated many kings at Meggido but they were Canaanite kings not Assyrian kings furtheremore Assyria normally only had one king at a time and was one state not a culture so there were never "20 Assyrian kings".

Regards, Praetor.

-------------

Posted By: Kerimoglu
Date Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 07:14
It is too relative.

If ou compare with percentage, then Assyrians must be stronger than Romans,

It is so relative

-------------
History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!

Posted By: longshanks31
Date Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 08:39
Im going to be controvertial and say the parthians, though the only real accounts of them that we have are of roman origin

Posted By: longshanks31
Date Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 08:44
The phoenicians deserve a shout too, not wanting to be critical of the options, the phoenicians like the egyptians dont get enough respect either,

Posted By: Mumbloid
Date Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 16:01
I voted for Rome, the discipline of the legions are legendary.

-------------
The future keeps the past alive.

Posted By: Illirac
Date Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 16:24
why there is no Parthian empire?, they defeated the Romans and surly the second greatest empire at the time(around Rome)

-------------
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.

Posted By: xi_tujue
Date Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 17:03
the early steppe armies still screwed everybody over even though they were in small numbers.

let it be the Parthians/scystians in the west or the Huns/Samaritans in the east Tongue

-------------
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage

Date Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 00:23
http://www.answers.com/main/Record2?a=NR&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcommons.wikimedia.org%2Fwiki%2FImage%3AHuns%2520empire.png">The%20Hunnic%20Empire%20stretched%20from%20the%20steppes%20of%20Central%20Asia%20into%20modern%20Germany,%20and%20from%20the%20Black%20Sea%20to%20the%20Baltic%20Sea

Hunnic Empire

Parthian Empire (Pink)

The Parthian Empire extended further east than the Hunnic Empire did, as seen above.

Scythia also had borders extending to the Himalayan mountains.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Nov-2007 at 04:00
Originally posted by deadkenny

I agree with an earlier comment, it's pretty tough to compare 'armies' that existed in very different time periods.  What we typically refer to as 'ancient' spans many centuries.  Rome was 'dominant' for an extended period of time.  But does longevity factor into the determination of which 'army'  was 'greatest'?  The Macedonian 'army' under Alexander the Great was certainly dominant in it's campaign to the east, and took on the largest most powerful force within its 'reach'.  The disciplined heavy cavalry of the Macedonians would definitely have given any Roman 'army' a difficult time, short of the late era western Romans (hardly really 'Roman' anymore) or Byzantine army which were much more cavalry 'heavy' forces themselves.  Should Macedonian be assumed to be included under 'Greeks', or 'Other'?  BTW, why are the 'Lydians' listed at all?  Do they have some 'claim' to being the 'greatest' that I am unaware of, especially given the exclusion of so many other 'candidates' worthy of consideration?

Lydia was able to assemble large quantities of cavalry. Their horsemen were some of the best of their time period, as they were well trained, and given a long lance to charge down enemy troops. The Lydian army had hoplites of their own, a challenge to any army that opposed them. The empire was also an empire of diplomacy. In addition to the cavalry and hoplites, there were infantry from Egypt, Babylonian archers, and European swordsmen.

Lydian infantry

-------------

Posted By: Peteratwar
Date Posted: 21-Nov-2007 at 11:51
Again I have to say this is really in itself a meaningless poll.

All armies listed were in different places in different times doing different things.

What criteria do you have for comparison ?

Of course, if just want to say how good your favourite was, fine.

Date Posted: 21-Nov-2007 at 14:04
This topic and topics like it are the "Blood and Guts" of AE. If you have anything to add to this topic, then please post it, if you do not have anything to add, do not post. There is no reason of posting pointless things. Thirdly, if you had already posted that this is a "meaningless" poll, then why post it again?. You have 198 posts at this time, how many of those were opinions in this sort of poll?

-------------

Posted By: Peteratwar
Date Posted: 21-Nov-2007 at 14:35
These polls are basically meaningless. They add absolutley nothing because no comparison criteria are given in order to make a comparison in order to give a meaningful vote. Polls are to my mind far away from the Blood and Guts which you use. Yes polls properly set up with proper criteria are fine but this type of one is really meaningless.

Please feel free to track down as many of my threads as you wish. You probably won't find any more for this thread but you might on two others of a similar ilk. Whre I may say I got a much more courteous reply agreeing with me 

Date Posted: 11-Dec-2007 at 23:37

Save your negativity for somewhere else.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 13:58
Originally posted by Peteratwar

These polls are basically meaningless. They add absolutley nothing because no comparison criteria are given in order to make a comparison in order to give a meaningful vote. Polls are to my mind far away from the Blood and Guts which you use. Yes polls properly set up with proper criteria are fine but this type of one is really meaningless.

Please feel free to track down as many of my threads as you wish. You probably won't find any more for this thread but you might on two others of a similar ilk. Whre I may say I got a much more courteous reply agreeing with me 

if it so meaningless leave  the topic...and leave alone those who want dispute about "meaningless" thing...

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Mar-2008 at 04:24
I think so much depends on the leadership of a military force that it's hard to say one was the "greatest". The Romans suffered some catastrophic defeats during their history and a lot of it depended on who was leading a particular legion(s) or fighting a certain battle against whom and where, etc. There are just too many factors to consider. In the macro view of ancient history over a millennia or so, there's no doubt that the Roman military was the greatest. If we focus on more specific periods, we can debate and argue all night long about who the "greatest" was. But in terms of outright military dominance over a short period of time, I don't think there's any doubt that Alexander and his Macedonian army were in a class of their own.

Posted By: Aster Thrax Eupator
Date Posted: 17-Mar-2008 at 09:23
Since ancient warfare lasted and developed for thousands of years, this thread is a difficult one to reply to. The Assyrian empire at the time of the siege of Lachish, for example, was the most superior and excellent army the world had ever seen without fail. About 1'500 years earlier it was the Akkadian empire, so it's very hard to answer these questions without really saying what specific period in ancient history you mean. I chose "romans" because in the wide period we call "ancient history" (around 4000 BC - 476 AD) they were overall the best drilled fighting force, but this is in the imperial period. The "Romans" who repulsed the Gauls in 390/389 BC and the "Romans" who faced the early etruscan kingdoms in the monarchial period (753 - 509 BC) were extremely different and neither qualifies to being the great fighting force that the Julio-Claudian legions were. Overall, yes, I would say the Roman legions at the high imperial time were the apex of Roman military development, but earlier, I would have to say the Macedonian phalanx and some of the Diadochi siege forces of the Antigonids, such as Demetrius's "Agepolis" - one of the largest pieces of siege equipment to ever exist. However I'd say that putting those such as Akkadians, Early Dynastic Egyptians, Elamites, Sumerians and Early Persians on the list really is a waste of time because these were the start of military manpower and since not much had existed prior, we don't know upon what criteria to judge them. One thing I would say to people such as "peteratwar", I do understand your fustration, but fundamentally this is an educational forum and anything that stimulates debate can't be a bad thing now can it?

-------------

Posted By: Julius Augustus
Date Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 07:26
I voted for Rome but would have voted for Persia if it was renamed to Iranian, the Samartians, Scythians, Alans and etc all spoke a language similar to the Persians, the problem was that they were never united, unlike the Greek world at that time might have been a different story if the Scythians as a whole joined the Persians, gave them a composite bow and etc. 

Posted By: Suren
Date Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 08:06
Sassanid Persians were one of the mightiest ancient forces. They have beaten Roman armies several times, conquered Egypt, held all Eurasian barbarians out of middle east and beat them several times. Sassanid heavy cavalries and war elephants were among the deadliest warring machines.  

-------------
Anfører

Date Posted: 25-Mar-2008 at 16:50
suren, that is an amazing picture, where did you find that? 

Date Posted: 28-Mar-2008 at 20:32
Originally posted by JUliusAugustus

suren, that is an amazing picture, where did you find that? 

Go to Google Images and type in Sassanid war elephant, it is the first picture.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 00:23
thanks darius, by the way, where in iran is this? 

Date Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 00:40
It is in the Bastan Arch in Kermanshah. The arch dates back to 590 to 628 A.D.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 00:46

It is in the Bastan Arch in Kermanshah. The arch dates back to 590 to 628 B.C.

are you sure about the time Darius? 590 BC? or is it AD? I think the Sassanians are from a time of 220 AD to 600 AD or something like that. or I might be mistaken?

Date Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 01:03
Sorry about that, I normally deal with history B.C, so it is natural for me to write it. It is A.D. The Sassanid Era lasted from 226-651 A.D.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 01:59
no problem darius, it was a typo most probably. 

Date Posted: 19-Apr-2008 at 21:19
why no body chose carthage? they are great kingdom and nearly defeat roman

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Apr-2008 at 04:10
They were a great Mediterranean power, since the city was created in 814 B.C by the Phoenicians. Xerxes of Persia is said to have made a "Carthaginian Alliance" for aid against Greece. Phoenicia was in Persian possession, so Carthage was Persia's ally as well. Many people here focus on armies rather than navies. The Carthaginian navy was one of the best of its time, defeating early Roman navies in the Mediterranean. Only when the Romans used Greek sailors and ships did the Romans have an edge against Carthage at sea.

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Apr-2008 at 14:02

They were a great Mediterranean power, since the city was created in 814 B.C by the Phoenicians. Xerxes of Persia is said to have made a "Carthaginian Alliance" for aid against Greece. Phoenicia was in Persian possession, so Carthage was Persia's ally as well. Many people here focus on armies rather than navies. The Carthaginian navy was one of the best of its time, defeating early Roman navies in the Mediterranean. Only when the Romans used Greek sailors and ships did the Romans have an edge against Carthage at sea.

Yes, but don't forget that the only reason that Carthage on land didn't do as well is because Hannibal did not have the forces that he started with in Spain. He had to use a great deal of foreign irregulars from Gaul which were second-rate to the forces that he had at his disposal initially. Rome had never really needed to combat naval forces before since most of it's fighting was largely over large tracts of land in southern Italy. Moreover, I believe that Ostia was only build in the Principate, and the other stragetically important ports were secured as late as the Sertorian/Social and later Samnite wars. That said, it's imporant to realise that we are contrasting Carthage's naval forces with unexperienced Roman ones. Since we don't have that much evidence for previous Carthaginian naval operations, we can't really draw many conclusions as to the absolute power of Carthaginian naval power. Moreover, it is widely known that the Phoneician navy was much more powerful than that of the Greeks, and that was one of the reasons why the fleet decided to conceal itself in the narrows during the battle of Salamis because they knew how much Phoneicians could utilise their seamanship in open sea. Just because Carthage was a state that was founded by phonecians, that does not neccesarily entail that they had the power that the phoenicians were reputed to have at Salamis and in other conflicts. However, one could also say that the edge that the Carthaginian navy had over the Roman-employed Greek one in the punic wars, and the many Carthaginian settlements in Spain, which were martime based, does give your reading some weight. We must not neglect the land power of Carthage over her navy, and I am probably moving away from convention by not always using Hannibal or Maharbal as a template for what I am going to say (lol). Remember the example of Gelo in the first few books of Herodotus of Helicaranoss's histories? He puts considerable emphasis on Carthaginian land power in Italy. The Roman army that we all seem to be inclinded to Stereotype came in 104 BC with the Marian reforms, and was later perfected in the principate. The forces that were fighting under the Roman banner in Cannae and Trasiremene were still not one of the best fighting forces in the ancient world. Other states had invested in multi-purpose troops before (Antiochus IV?) and so when we analyse Rome and Carthage together militarily we've got to stop thinking of post-Marian troops. It was only at the end of the 2nd Punic war at the battle of Zama that Scipio moved away from convention by not adhering to the traditional Hastati-Pricipates-Triarii maniple model, and it was a few years later after the treaty of Phonice in the second Macedonian war in the battle of Cynocephale in 197 BC that the abilities of the legionary can be glimpsed to be seen growing. 

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Apr-2008 at 15:30
Polybius wrote, "more exercised in maritime affairs than any other people". Polybius also wrote that the Carthaginian ships carried hooks to attack the oars and fire to burn the enemy vessals by the time of the Third Punic War. There is evidence that Hanno sailed along the African coast, to as far distances as the equator. I never said the Carthaginian navy was more powerful than the Greeks. The Persian navy was not composed on just Phoenician ships. In fact the three most powerful divisions in the Persian navy were from Phoenicia, Egypt, and Ionia. Vessals from other Persian possessions were included as well. The Phoenician navy was not more powerful than the Greek navy, nor was the Greek navy more powerful than the Phoenician navy. The triremes were built differently, functioned differently, and the crews were different.

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Apr-2008 at 17:18
The Phoenician navy was not more powerful than the Greek navy, nor was the Greek navy more powerful than the Phoenician navy. The triremes were built differently, functioned differently, and the crews were different.

It's a common misconception that Greece had always been a maritime power - in the early classical, Geometric, archaic, Mycenean and Cycladic periods, it was almost exclusively Megaron palace culture based and was not intrinsically based around martime operations at all. The phonecians, in contrast, had been part of the the commerical backbone of the ancient near east from the Neo-Sumerian period. Excavations near Tyre by Leonard Wooley in the 1920s revealed powerful commerical settlements which date back to around 2000 BC - almost all of which were situated next to the coasts on known maritime trade routes. In contrast, many of the largest Greek cities such as Athens and Sparta actually were built in places where internal natural resources - what few there were in Greece - could be extracted. It was only in the 4th century BC that some of these states began to build their own ports (such as the Pireaus harbour in Athens) and exploit the trade routes which Greece settled in. Moreover, it was only when Athenian miners struck a sliver vein that they managed to finance naval might, and even then Archon Strategos Thermistocles had to convince them to do so. As for the colonies in the medditeranian, many of these were founded by Ionian Greeks, and many were made when Greeks fled the Persian invasion and earlier incursions by the Lydians. Teos is a good example - soon after the Ionian revolt, the people of Teos sunk a large block of iron into their harbour and stated that they would only return when the block surfaced, and they fled to Italy. Moreover, Cambyses used Phonecian naval power in his ill-fated invasion of Egypt and one of the reasons why he eventually withdrew was because the Phoenecian sailors refused to partake in the invasion. Therefore, with all of these factors, the Phonecian navy had infinately more experience than the Greek.

Polybius wrote, "more exercised in maritime affairs than any other people". Polybius also wrote that the Carthaginian ships carried hooks to attack the oars and fire to burn the enemy vessals by the time of the Third Punic War. There is evidence that Hanno sailed along the African coast, to as far distances as the equator.

My point concerning the Carthaginians was not that they were not able sailors; it was more that to proove that they were by comparing them to the Romans is probably a little flawed by the points above that I mentioned.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Apr-2008 at 14:50
I never said Greece was always a naval power. There were Greek vessals found of the coast of Ionia, dating to about 1200 B.C. This gives evidence that the Greeks did have a navy by the time of the Trojan War. The Greeks went into the shallows near Salamis, not because the Persian navy was more experienced, but because of another cause. When the Persian ships went into the straight, they exposed their broadsides to the Greeks. The object of a naval battle after the time of Homer was to ram the enemy ship's side with a ram attacked to the bow. The Persian navy was decimated. The Greeks ships were also heavier than the Persian ones. Heavy anything does not do well against a lighter, more mobile enemy. The Persian navy time and time again, encirciled the enemy navy and crushed it. This was not so easy to do at Salamis.
The Carthaginian fleet, no matter what the Roman status, managed to defeat the Roman fleets. I never said the Carthaginian fleet was the best. The Carthaginian fleet was powerful, it was capable of defending trade routs, and fighting other naval fleets.

Cambyses was succesful in Egypt, it was not ill-fated. The Arab tribes assisted Cambyses when his army crossed the deserts between Mesopotamia and Egypt. The fleet was not the only thing that kept his army moving. In fact, the Arabs might of proved more useful than the fleet.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Apr-2008 at 15:10
The Persian navy time and time again, encirciled the enemy navy and crushed it. This was not so easy to do at Salamis.

Yes! And that is my point - that one of the reasons that the Greeks hid in the shallows was because the Persians would use this decimating and effective tactic. It was also used in the Peloponnesian wars when Athens had rennovated its Navy - Phormio's blockade at Naupactus against Corinth, for example. Also, the Persians were aware of the Greek fleet in the shallows because disputably, they heard the Paean of the sailors before they saw the shallows. Moreover, there cannot have been that many Persian ships at Salamis because:
A.) the Persian patrol vessels and small fort on a nearby island didn't see that much debris floating out of the straight
B.) there were not enough coves to beach all of the Persian ships that were supposedly there (apparently Persian ships were beached at "combat ready" stations before the battle.
C.) the numerical gap can't have been that great because Xerxes wanted to press as quickly as possible down to the Peloponnese, and it's more likely that he left a sizeable chunk of his fleet to guard Salamis while the rest went to the Peloponnese and the Saronic gulf. It's just not plausable that when Athens had been decimated and the Persians had the situation under control that Xerxes would have left the majority of his forces there. It doesn't add up and many historians have disputed the claims in Herodotus

Cambyses was succesful in Egypt, it was not ill-fated. The Arab tribes assisted Cambyses when his army crossed the deserts between Mesopotamia and Egypt. The fleet was not the only thing that kept his army moving. In fact, the Arabs might of proved more useful than the fleet.

Good point - Egypt is hard to attack by sea, as Perdiccias - regent of Alexander IV in the first succession war - learnt. However, naval power was still important in blockading and exerting economic pressure against the enemy (Operations by Cleon in Egypt for example?). Moreover, although the Arab tribes would have been useful, at the end of the day we can't speculate because all Cambyses managed to secure was a small garrison near the elephantine.

-------------

Posted By: Efraz
Date Posted: 16-May-2008 at 18:31
Romans by far.

They recruited military engineers in their armies while others were painting their faces before battling.

That was a hard time to be an enemy of Rome.

Posted By: C.C.Benjamin
Date Posted: 16-May-2008 at 19:18
I went for Greek, but to include Hellenistic armies up until Philip of Macedon's time.

I think the Greeks were the most arrogant, high-headed bunch of t**sers.  They had a cracking military arrangement, and if they had incorporated cavalry into it (as Philip did) or elephants (as Pyrrhus did) they were fully capable of conquering the world (as Alexander did).

However, the Greeks spent so much time bickering amongst themselves, rather than creating a cohesive nation, that they wore themselves down until they were unable to resist the Romans.  This, combine with their better-than-thou attitude regarding "barbarians", meant that they had a pitifully small realm of influence for such a prestigious people. 

The Greeks had the capability all along to do what Alexander did.  If they had had the organisational skills and sheer bloody-mindedness of the Romans, the Greeks could easily have been the rulers of ancient Europe, far earlier than the Romans.

-------------
Know thyself

Date Posted: 16-May-2008 at 22:15

Excellent point C.C. Benjamin! Nice to see a new member of, as I can see, formidible intelligence and great enthusiasm! I would agree with you on that point, and in any case, as Peter Connolly states, much of the victory of the Greeks over the Persians was a serious amount of luck more than anything else (Marathon anyone?) granted, Plataea was a well executed battle, but before that occurred much of northern Greece, Attica, Phocis and Locris had been completely desecrated. Moreover, I don't think that one can call the Diadochi armies typically "Greek" in that respect - a lot of their tactics in some respects stemmed from Egyptian and Persian tactics, and in any case, the majority of the Diadochi became absorbed so much in the states that they ruled that we can't really call them "Greek" in the original c5th century BC sense.

However, I have to remind you that the Macedonians developed Alexander's world conquering Phalanx at the time of Philip II, and therefore the Greeks did not posess it (nor Pyrrhus' elephants) for a considerably large amount of time. Therefore, your logic cannot be applied to classical Greeks in any meaningful sense.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-May-2008 at 01:44
Originally posted by Aster Thrax Eupator

Excellent point C.C. Benjamin! Nice to see a new member of, as I can see, formidible intelligence and great enthusiasm! I would agree with you on that point, and in any case, as Peter Connolly states, much of the victory of the Greeks over the Persians was a serious amount of luck more than anything else (Marathon anyone?) granted, Plataea was a well executed battle, but before that occurred much of northern Greece, Attica, Phocis and Locris had been completely desecrated. Moreover, I don't think that one can call the Diadochi armies typically "Greek" in that respect - a lot of their tactics in some respects stemmed from Egyptian and Persian tactics, and in any case, the majority of the Diadochi became absorbed so much in the states that they ruled that we can't really call them "Greek" in the original c5th century BC sense.

However, I have to remind you that the Macedonians developed Alexander's world conquering Phalanx at the time of Philip II, and therefore the Greeks did not posess it (nor Pyrrhus' elephants) for a considerably large amount of time. Therefore, your logic cannot be applied to classical Greeks in any meaningful sense.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Although I specified until Philip, long hours of playing Rome: Total War and reading dozens of battle descriptions have lead me to believe that the Macedonian phalanx was only really vastly superior when against other (standard) phalanxes.  This made Philip's conquest of the Greeks possible, but I feel it was mainly the inclusion of strong cavalry that was what made the Greek war machine offensive, as well as defensive.

I have to disagree with you on Marathon though, according to Wikipedia the Greeks accomplished a double envelopment, which is a sound tactical achievement by anyone's standards.

I think the Persian's were destined to lose.  The Greeks wore heavy bronze armour (bronze is bloody good stuff, harder than iron when arsenic is added) and used much better shields and spears than the Persians did.

The Persians complete lack of effective protection (wicker shields and cloth armour? Who's bright idea was that?) meant that they couldn't properly block the Greek's spears without them going through their shields.

The Greeks were also very well motivated, and well organised, something the Persian army may not have been.

All this leads to one conclusion: a slaughter.  Heavy infantry vs light infantry in a prolonged slugfest is never pretty.

6,400 Persians to 203 Greeks attests to that!  35:1 kill ratio...that'll work. Big%20smile

-------------
Know thyself

Date Posted: 17-May-2008 at 13:24

I agree with you about the later Persian forces under Darius III - even at the time of Artaxerxes I, after the Peloponnesian war, Persia was so desecrated by internal conflicts that Xenophon was able to march a large army around it without being hampered that much whatsoever. However, the Macedonian phalax was what essentially defeated the Persians and not in any considerable sense the ordinary Greek phalanx. Morevoer, I'd have to say don't play Rome total war if you want a good idea of Greek military tactics - historically it's awful. Moreover, I'd have to say Marthathon really was a suprise victory - even with a full kit, the Greeks didn't kill a large amount of the Persian army - they had incredibly good luck at the begining and thus caused the majority of the Persians to rout.

-------------

Posted By: Penelope
Date Posted: 17-May-2008 at 19:04

I agree with you about the later Persian forces under Darius III - even at the time of Artaxerxes I, after the Peloponnesian war, Persia was so desecrated by internal conflicts that Xenophon was able to march a large army around it without being hampered that much whatsoever. However, the Macedonian phalax was what essentially defeated the Persians and not in any considerable sense the ordinary Greek phalanx. Morevoer, I'd have to say don't play Rome total war if you want a good idea of Greek military tactics - historically it's awful. Moreover, I'd have to say Marthathon really was a suprise victory - even with a full kit, the Greeks didn't kill a large amount of the Persian army - they had incredibly good luck at the begining and thus caused the majority of the Persians to rout.

Good point, and also the Macedonian Kingdom had reached a stage of innovation that had never been seen before in history. Not only did her inhabitants know this, but most importantly, her generals and her king knew this, which in turn gave them the confidence they needed to unite Greece, Illyria and Thrace. They knew that they were more advanced than their enemies, both militarily and economicly, so conquering Persia didnt seem too far fetched to begin with, even if Persia had not experianced an internal conflict.

Date Posted: 17-May-2008 at 19:39

The Greeks themselves may have been surprised at the victory, but that doesn't mean it wasn't inevitable.

And I understand the differences between the two types of Phalanx, but they work in basically the same way, and that is what counts.  It's a good solid centre, upon which you can use to pin the enemy force while you run circles around them with your cavalry, and smash them in the sides.

Phalanxes disintegrate from the edges in, so keeping strong cavalry on the wings is essential.

-------------
Know thyself

Date Posted: 22-May-2008 at 10:51
I voted Roman as to my standing they had the greatest empire / military but uh,
where are the Mongols? I understand that their dynasty wasn't the longest but oh hey geez, they only had one of the largest land empires ever known to man kind...

-------------

Date Posted: 22-May-2008 at 11:14
Originally posted by Rakuran

where are the Mongols? I understand that their dynasty wasn't the longest but oh hey geez, they only had one of the largest land empires ever known to man kind...

The Greatest ANCIENT Military Power, not from medieval times

-------------

Date Posted: 22-May-2008 at 15:40
Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin

The Persians complete lack of effective protection (wicker shields and cloth armour? Who's bright idea was that?) meant that they couldn't properly block the Greek's spears without them going through their shields.

Totally disagree with you here.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-May-2008 at 15:44

The Greeks were also very well motivated, and well organised, something the Persian army may not have been.

The Greeks knew about organisation, but the Persians did as well. Saying an Empire that stretches from India to the Sahara has bad organisational skills is pretty far fetched. The Persians were the masters when it came to military organisation and even in other economic and political forms.

-------------

Posted By: Vorian
Date Posted: 22-May-2008 at 15:49

The Greeks knew about organisation, but the Persians did as well. Saying an Empire that stretches from India to the Sahara has bad organisational skills is pretty far fetched. The Persians were the masters when it came to military organisation and even in other economic and political forms.

I agree. Many people think the Persians were uncivilised barbarians just because Greeks name them barbarians, but the term just meant "foreigner" then. Actually Persians looked down on the Greeks who lived in poverty, called their villages cities and had no king to control them.

Persians lost because their equipment was meant for an entirely different way of battle.

Date Posted: 22-May-2008 at 16:35
My vote goes to the Han under Wudi.  Projecting power towards the Caspian sea when your base is in China is no small feat.

Date Posted: 22-May-2008 at 17:32
I agree. Many people think the Persians were uncivilised barbarians just because Greeks name them barbarians, but the term just meant "foreigner" then. Actually Persians looked down on the Greeks who lived in poverty, called their villages cities and had no king to control them.

Persians lost because their equipment was meant for an entirely different way of battle.

Well, much of it was actually due to luck - the "Persians" didn't have a single exlusive military unit, but had a vastly multi-cultural army with many different kinds of forces, as well as many Greek mercenary hoplites, peltasts and psiloi. The kind of troops that everyone stereotypically thinks are "persian" are the apple bearers and medes, but in reality, the troops that served under the "archenemid" dynasty were extremely diverse, and so we cannot generalise in such a manner. Frankly, in many respects, a lot of the fact that the Greeks won was because of luck and, as with any powerful monarch with a large empire, other commitments in other parts of the empire. People also forget that when they say "the Persians never conquered Greece", they are actually stating a complete falsehood - "Greece" and the Hellenic areas of that area of the world were ravaged by the Persians - for gods, sake - Athens was sacked three times! When people say this, they usually mean the Peloponnese. The Persians had a constant foothold in Thrace and in many respects, Northern Greece, but couldn't maintain it because of other commitments. Therefore the Greeks did not "defeat" the Persians in the manner which people state.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-May-2008 at 17:40
You mentioned luck before Aster.

What exactly do you count as luck? I would say the gGeeks were extremely lucky in Platea where they made many blunders. Also in Thermopile the Persian fleet  had severe casualties by a storm.

Date Posted: 22-May-2008 at 17:43
That's my point - luck on the Greek side. Look at Marathon!

-------------

Date Posted: 22-May-2008 at 18:49
Originally posted by Vorian

I believe the Persians lost because, as Sun Tzu said, you should never advance relying on military might alone.

I don't think for a second that the Persians were uncivilized barbarians, but I do think that Cyrus "the great" won his empire by trickery and intimidation.  Very clever and effective ways of forming a giant empire, but it does not make for great warriors to defend it.

Logistical ability does not equal battlefield coordination.  Just because their men may have been well supplied, doesn't mean they were well disciplined in battle or fought in effective formations.  History has shown this to be the case, has it not?

-------------
Know thyself

Date Posted: 22-May-2008 at 19:03

What lucky thing happened during Marathon??? Greeks advanced in slow pace and accelerated abruptly when Persian let loose their arrows causing them to miss and not have time to reload. Then in the melee the sides managed to repell their enemies and help the center that was really battered. Then they pursuited the rest Persians and fought their rearguard in order to stop their retreat but failed having more casualties than in the actual battle

Date Posted: 22-May-2008 at 19:07

I believe the Persians lost because, as Sun Tzu said, you should never advance relying on military might alone.

I don't think for a second that the Persians were uncivilized barbarians, but I do think that Cyrus "the great" won his empire by trickery and intimidation.  Very clever and effective ways of forming a giant empire, but it does not make for great warriors to defend it.

Logistical ability does not equal battlefield coordination.  Just because their men may have been well supplied, doesn't mean they were well disciplined in battle or fought in effective formations.  History has shown this to be the case, has it not?

The Persian parts of the army would surely be extremely disciplined and the Medans as well. many others wouldn't though. However you can't call Greek armies "disciplined" either unless you speak of the Spartans. At that time (before the Peloponnesian war) war was more ceremonial in Greece when the armies of a neighbor city would meet the other in a field organised from before and crush their phalanxes against each other. The one who won took the disputed lands etc. Organised Greek armies became the norm during the Peloponnesian war not before.

Date Posted: 22-May-2008 at 19:12

The Persian parts of the army would surely be extremely disciplined and the Medans as well. many others wouldn't though. However you can't call Greek armies "disciplined" either unless you speak of the Spartans. At that time (before the Peloponnesian war) war was more ceremonial in Greece when the armies of a neighbor city would meet the other in a field organised from before and crush their phalanxes against each other. The one who won took the disputed lands etc. Organised Greek armies became the norm during the Peloponnesian war not before.

Any army that used the phalanx formation was disciplined.  Do you think you could just grab a gaggle of men and put them into an effective phalanx?  Despite the fact war between Greek states was ceremonial, wars against outside influences (and there were a few) were not.

The fact that Greek armies of the time (Spartans aside) were raised from the populous does not mean they did not have military training. 

I think a definition of "discipline" in this context is needed.  I refer to the use of effective formations to prevent a numerically superior enemy from simply overrunning your position, and the training this would require to ensure that it actually worked.  If you mean "charge all at once when the horn is blown" then the Persians probably were quite disciplined.

-------------
Know thyself

Date Posted: 22-May-2008 at 19:37

What lucky thing happened during Marathon??? Greeks advanced in slow pace and accelerated abruptly when Persian let loose their arrows causing them to miss and not have time to reload. Then in the melee the sides managed to repell their enemies and help the center that was really battered. Then they pursuited the rest Persians and fought their rearguard in order to stop their retreat but failed having more casualties than in the actual battle

Yes!  Exactly!  I don't see any evidence of luck at Marathon.

The Greeks managed a double envelopment of the portion of the Persian forces that didn't run away or get drowned in the swamps surrounding the plain.   The Greeks had superior formations, superior armour and superior weaponry. 

I think the Greek victory was inevitable.

-------------
Know thyself

Date Posted: 22-May-2008 at 19:47

Any army that used the phalanx formation was disciplined.  Do you think you could just grab a gaggle of men and put them into an effective phalanx?  Despite the fact war between Greek states was ceremonial, wars against outside influences (and there were a few) were not.

The fact that Greek armies of the time (Spartans aside) were raised from the populous does not mean they did not have military training. 

I think a definition of "discipline" in this context is needed.  I refer to the use of effective formations to prevent a numerically superior enemy from simply overrunning your position, and the training this would require to ensure that it actually worked.  If you mean "charge all at once when the horn is blown" then the Persians probably were quite disciplined.

Mate, the usual training for a Greek hoplite was during his time in the army before he gets 20 (of course varied in every city) and after that maybe some training every summer for 2-3 weeks. That's why many phalanxes broke before contact with the enemy.

Now about Persians, you give them too little credit. Persian cavalry would perform really difficult maneuvers in battle encircling the opponent, throwing javelins, giving pursue to those that fled. Traditional Persian tactic was to swarm the enemy with arrows until he is weakened enough and demoralised to break from the attack of the cavalry. They were using combined arms when the Greeks knew only infantry and a few slaves throwing rocks and javelins. When the Greeks learned the value of combined arms, they conquered most of the known world.

Date Posted: 22-May-2008 at 20:29

Mate, the usual training for a Greek hoplite was during his time in the army before he gets 20 (of course varied in every city) and after that maybe some training every summer for 2-3 weeks. That's why many phalanxes broke before contact with the enemy.

Now about Persians, you give them too little credit. Persian cavalry would perform really difficult maneuvers in battle encircling the opponent, throwing javelins, giving pursue to those that fled. Traditional Persian tactic was to swarm the enemy with arrows until he is weakened enough and demoralised to break from the attack of the cavalry. They were using combined arms when the Greeks knew only infantry and a few slaves throwing rocks and javelins. When the Greeks learned the value of combined arms, they conquered most of the known world.

Could you give me an example of a battle where they did break before they even reached the enemy?  I'm not familiar with one.

I'm not suggesting the Greeks were the masters of warfare (I realise that came later with the Macedonians), I'm saying that the Persians were inadequately equipped to actually win.  

The Persian use of combined arms is an interesting comment.  I think a suitable analogy is thus:  Two children see an adult, and they want to knock him down.  They think to themselves: "we'll go one on either side, so he can't focus on us both, and we can get him from two angles".  They leap up, and get pushed over by the adult at the same time, because they just aren't capable of knocking him over, no matter what tactics they are using.

Heavy spear infantry vs cavalry and archers is not pretty, especially when they are as physically fit as the Greeks would have been.  To charge the 200m in heavy armour to reach the Persian archers (which completely surprised the Persians) is something that, frankly, is way beyond me.  I doubt I could run 200m without dying anyway.  Having to then fight and kill dozens of them, personally, afterwards is something I could not have done. 

The Persians didn't think the Greeks would be able to do it either.  The Persians went forward, assuming they had a massive war machine that was capable of annihilating everything before them.

I'm sure the Persians did have plans, tactics and strategy, but they were beaten before they started, IMO.  It was only the Greek's sheer arrogance and idiocy (Greece is under attack and they are all fannying about at the Olympic Games? Were they mental?) that allowed the Persians to get as far as they did.

-------------
Know thyself

Posted By: Efraz
Date Posted: 22-May-2008 at 21:42
I agree Greeks were very skilled warriors. Maybe the their traditional tactics, personal heroisms, strategic minds and all in all their "skill" in all things military surpasses Romans(and everyone in the Ancient times maybe).

But the question was not "who were the most skillful fighters?" Who had the most powerful army in the period? Who WAS the GREATEST military power?

I
 If they had had the organisational skills and sheer bloody-mindedness of the Romans, the Greeks could easily have been the rulers of ancient Europe, far earlier than the Romans.

But they haven't been.... Romans had what it takes. Organizational skills and ability to maintain social peace are also factors that makes you a Great military power.

Romans military superiority over Greeks was in their hybrid system not only in the tactics. In Greece, lower classes did fight yes, but they provided cheap units. The most powerful units were maintained(and formed) by upper classes. And the were few in numbers.

But Rome, in the early republican period, mostly solved the conflicts of plebians and patricians. After plebians were recruited in the legions by masses Rome had the largest  qualified standing army ever. Being recruited in the legions and ascending in ranks were improving your life and rights as a Roman citizen. Plebians spent years in the army unlike any other lower class militia. And became experienced warriors, formed strong units with their sheer numbers. The mob fought and died for Roman Senatus.

Greek aristocracy and free people fought for themselves. They have nearly never formed a professional standing force. Simply every able young man was a warrior.(Ephebos) The took good training yes but not having a professional standing army you have a hard time conquering or/and keeping the lands you conquered. Alexander was an exception. Even he faced oppositions of his army to move further into India. Arrianos narrates the incident.

his soldiers told him they will not go further, they don't want to die so far away from home, before they cherished their victories and fortunes of war.

Alexander replied: "I am staying and moving further into India. You can go home and tell there that you left your king in an alien country by himself"(this is not exact but very close) :))) such an attitude he needed :)

Heroic yes, but few. Never could form a vast and long living Empire like Rome.

Date Posted: 23-May-2008 at 01:44

Could you give me an example of a battle where they did break before they even reached the enemy?  I'm not familiar with one.

Examples about battles, I can't really remember but ancient authors have claimed many times that the sight of the Spartan army putting their spears in final position with perfect unison was enough for many phalanxes to break down.

I'm not suggesting the Greeks were the masters of warfare (I realise that came later with the Macedonians), I'm saying that the Persians were inadequately equipped to actually win.  

The Persian use of combined arms is an interesting comment.  I think a suitable analogy is thus:  Two children see an adult, and they want to knock him down.  They think to themselves: "we'll go one on either side, so he can't focus on us both, and we can get him from two angles".  They leap up, and get pushed over by the adult at the same time, because they just aren't capable of knocking him over, no matter what tactics they are using.

You are underestimating the Persian greatly. Look, I am Greek and like them better (LOL) and certainly love to say they were better and they were in many aspects. Persians conquered almost all the known world and built the first great empire, you can be sure they knew a great deal about war.

Heavy spear infantry vs cavalry and archers is not pretty, especially when they are as physically fit as the Greeks would have been.  To charge the 200m in heavy armour to reach the Persian archers (which completely surprised the Persians) is something that, frankly, is way beyond me.  I doubt I could run 200m without dying anyway.  Having to then fight and kill dozens of them, personally, afterwards is something I could not have done. 

For this I want to make something clear :
The range of the medieval weapon is unknown, with estimates from 165 to 228 m (180 to 249 yds). Modern longbows have a useful range up to 180 m (200 yd). A 667N(150 lbf) Mary Rose replica longbow was able to shoot a 53.6 g (1.9 oz) arrow 328.0 m (360 yd) and a 95.9 g (3.3 oz) a distance of 249.9 m (272 yd). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_longbow#cite_note-Strickland-18-9 - [10]

This is about the longbow millenia later and one of the best bows ever. Persian bows of the time couldn't strike effectively through armor longer than 100 meters away probably.
So the Athenians run a lot less than 200 meters.

a)They got into range
b)Persians fire
c)Athenians run suddenly causing first volley to miss
d)Persian archers most likely didn't even fire a second volley since when you got a wall of men charging 80 meters away you would throw the bow and grab your spear.

The Persians didn't think the Greeks would be able to do it either.  The Persians went forward, assuming they had a massive war machine that was capable of annihilating everything before them.

That's true. They underestimated the greeks and kept doing so until Salamis.

I'm sure the Persians did have plans, tactics and strategy, but they were beaten before they started, IMO.  It was only the Greek's sheer arrogance and idiocy (Greece is under attack and they are all fannying about at the Olympic Games? Were they mental?) that allowed the Persians to get as far as they did.

true too.

Date Posted: 23-May-2008 at 01:50
Btw, on the poll itself:

I haven't voted nor will I for a simple reason. The ancient period spans form Egypt and Assyria to 300AD.

Assyrians were the best of their time, and so were Babylonians, Persians and Greeks and then Romans. Romans went though many phases, the early republican army is nothing in front of the marian army that we know from the movies. In other words, create another poll giving a less extended timeline.

Date Posted: 23-May-2008 at 16:25

That is a simplistic and flawed explanation of what a combined arms army operate.   Terrain dictates your tactics and arms.  The holite army is good as long as it fights in a terrain that gives it suites it. 

Combined arms creates what is known as synergy.  Where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.  

Here are some examples of the era.

1.)  Macedonian Phalanx and Companion Cavalry
2.)  Horse Archers and Armored Cataphracts
3.)  Crossbowmen and Halbearders/pikeman

The Persian army has been wholly under estimated due to the fact that most of our sources come from Greek authors and the Achemenid's collapse during Alexander's conquest.  Nobody conquers that large of a land area and hold it for several hundred years by being military enept. 

Date Posted: 23-May-2008 at 18:06
The Persian army has been wholly under estimated due to the fact that most of our sources come from Greek authors and the Achemenid's collapse during Alexander's conquest.  Nobody conquers that large of a land area and hold it for several hundred years by being military enept.

Actually Herodotus remarks on the bravery of the Persian troops many times.

Date Posted: 24-May-2008 at 10:13

Examples about battles, I can't really remember but ancient authors have claimed many times that the sight of the Spartan army putting their spears in final position with perfect unison was enough for many phalanxes to break down.

Ah that is a bit different though, isn't it?  Smile

If you had the Spartan's reputation, I'm sure your average farm-hand would probably would leg it.  I don't think this was a common occurance (at least, I haven't read anything to suggest it was).

You are underestimating the Persian greatly. Look, I am Greek and like them better (LOL) and certainly love to say they were better and they were in many aspects. Persians conquered almost all the known world and built the first great empire, you can be sure they knew a great deal about war.

Perhaps, perhaps.  They did indeed build a great empire (though not the first), but Cyrus did decide the current generation of Medes didn't have any particular military experience, and were ripe for conquest.

Then he used cunning to defeat the Babylonians and Massagetae (possibly), until the Massagetae queen called him out and took him apart.  

His descendants spent their time bullying smaller nations and generally failing (from what I've seen) to impress anybody, until Alexander knocked them out.  So yes, it was a large empire, but no, I don't think it was incredibly impressive. 

For this I want to make something clear :
The range of the medieval weapon is unknown, with estimates from 165 to 228 m (180 to 249 yds). Modern longbows have a useful range up to 180 m (200 yd). A 667N(150 lbf) Mary Rose replica longbow was able to shoot a 53.6 g (1.9 oz) arrow 328.0 m (360 yd) and a 95.9 g (3.3 oz) a distance of 249.9 m (272 yd). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_longbow#cite_note-Strickland-18-9 - [10]

This is about the longbow millenia later and one of the best bows ever. Persian bows of the time couldn't strike effectively through armor longer than 100 meters away probably.
So the Athenians run a lot less than 200 meters.[/quote]

Ah, the source I read (not that I recall what or where it was off the top of my head) said that they had a range of 200m. 

a)They got into range
b)Persians fire
c)Athenians run suddenly causing first volley to miss
d)Persian archers most likely didn't even fire a second volley since when you got a wall of men charging 80 meters away you would throw the bow and grab your spear.

Archers vs heavy infantry.  Ouch!

That's true. They underestimated the greeks and kept doing so until Salamis.

Yeah I know. I  think the whole war was a bit of a debacle really.  It makes for some great quotes ("Ye Gods, Mardonius, what men have you brought us to fight against? Men that fight not for gold, but for honour.") and to quote Pierre Brosquet, it's magnificent, but it isn't war.

-------------
Know thyself

Date Posted: 24-May-2008 at 10:20

Actually Herodotus remarks on the bravery of the Persian troops many times.

Wasn't that in reference to Alexander's conquest, specifically the battle of the Persian Gates?

But yes, I think the Persians probably were brave, but just not very good!

-------------
Know thyself

Date Posted: 24-May-2008 at 16:09
No it was not a reference to The Battle of The Persian Gates, but rather all Persian battles from Cyrus' world campaign to Xerxes' campaigns to Ariobarzan and his last stand.

-------------

Posted By: ehecatzin
Date Posted: 24-May-2008 at 17:23
well...I think the poll is very biased, and focuses on nations from diferent periods of time, but anyway I went for Romans, I think that while dicsipline was the trademark of any decent army, the Romans had a unique quality, adaptability, they learned from their enemies, adopted whatever worked, ditched anything useless,  army composition, armor, weapons, tactics, and used it themselves, it is in deed a fantastic quality.

Date Posted: 24-May-2008 at 18:24
Im guessing that the reason the Chinese arent on the list, is becuase he ran out of space.

Posted By: Kerimoglu
Date Posted: 26-May-2008 at 16:10
It is Interesting, I was reading Flavius, Vegetius Renatus' "Epitoma Rei Militaris" which has a sentence saying: O, the mighty Emperor of Rome and whole Earth, tell me which of Northern nations are weaker than us in battlefield? - I'd say none. Tell me which of Southern nations are less smarter than us in war? - I'd say none. Name me any roman that is stronger than Spanish or than Lakedemonians!? But then, you might as, mighty Emperor, howcome you can control all of those nations mentioned above? Has not Mars itself was born in Dacia? Then why, my Emperor it happens so that our armies crash all of its enemies? - The answer is discipline and traning. This is the answer. Because true Romans know how to chose new soldiers and what to teach them in order for them to have the ability to fight with all enemies under all sircumstances.

That makes me believe that Roman military "school" was even stronger than Chinese and it is also interesting that even during the times of Republic (as far back as 200 B.C.), except discussions in Senate, various articles regarding military issue were being publish by various militarymen and statesman and there were always information war and debates that resulted with improvement of the military job.

-------------
History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!

Date Posted: 31-May-2008 at 18:38
Originally posted by Kerimoglu

It is Interesting, I was reading Flavius, Vegetius Renatus' "Epitoma Rei Militaris" which has a sentence saying: O, the mighty Emperor of Rome and whole Earth, tell me which of Northern nations are weaker than us in battlefield? - I'd say none. Tell me which of Southern nations are less smarter than us in war? - I'd say none. Name me any roman that is stronger than Spanish or than Lakedemonians!? But then, you might as, mighty Emperor, howcome you can control all of those nations mentioned above? Has not Mars itself was born in Dacia? Then why, my Emperor it happens so that our armies crash all of its enemies? - The answer is discipline and traning. This is the answer. Because true Romans know how to chose new soldiers and what to teach them in order for them to have the ability to fight with all enemies under all sircumstances.

That makes me believe that Roman military "school" was even stronger than Chinese and it is also interesting that even during the times of Republic (as far back as 200 B.C.), except discussions in Senate, various articles regarding military issue were being publish by various militarymen and statesman and there were always information war and debates that resulted with improvement of the military job.

Very good point indeed. But since China was never conquered by Rome, we will never know what the outcome would have been. The chinese may have been able to repell them, had they attempted an invasion, who knows, especially when you take into consideration that the Roman Empire, at its greatest extent, was still smaller than the empire of China. Not saying that size really matters though lol.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com