Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The most "humane" colonial empire?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Poll Question: Which of the following empires had the most "humane" colonial policy?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [23.33%]
6 [10.00%]
4 [6.67%]
13 [21.67%]
2 [3.33%]
17 [28.33%]
3 [5.00%]
1 [1.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The most "humane" colonial empire?
    Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 10:06
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

Do you mean, I have a certain biass like the anglosaxon people for theirs beloved Brit Empire
The only country I can think of like that is Canada, and they seem to be split on thatby my observations. Not to mention, they also seem like the least Nationilistic or racist.

Don't common interests and concerns.

underestimate either the cohesion or the importance of the "Anglosphere."  It is like there is still a world wide empire with a lot of

Yeah, but that Politics between the Politicians, not what the common American feels. We celebrate the Fourth like it's a religious Holiday, and the idea that we faught off the biggest baddest Empire of the time. We always take pride in not being apart of the British Empire. Thats one of the few things American and Canadians argue about when is comes to a who is better match. It always ends up talking about the Red Coats, the Queen and so on. Mostly because thats the only difference between us!
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 11:11

Do you mean, I have a certain biass like the anglosaxon people for theirs beloved Brit Empire
The only country I can think of like that is Canada, and they seem to be split on thatby my observations. Not to mention, they also seem like the least Nationilistic or racist.

Don't common interests and concerns.

underestimate either the cohesion or the importance of the "Anglosphere."  It is like there is still a world wide empire with a lot of

Yeah, but that Politics between the Politicians, not what the common American feels. We celebrate the Fourth like it's a religious Holiday, and the idea that we faught off the biggest baddest Empire of the time. We always take pride in not being apart of the British Empire. Thats one of the few things American and Canadians argue about when is comes to a who is better match. It always ends up talking about the Red Coats, the Queen and so on. Mostly because thats the only difference between us!

Yes!

One of the few things Latin Americans admire of the United States is that you broke free from the British Empire by force. That was the inspiration for the Independence war of Haiti, and afterwards for the long Independence wars of Hispanic America. Even Brazil fought a little, but most of the lands of the hemisphere won theirs freedom in the battlefields and the United States set the example.

Canada, on the other side, won its independence doing paperwork Big%20smileLOLLOL. Sometime I wonder if Canada is really independent. After all, they still have the figure of Queen Elizabeth II in theirs bills and official papers.

Pinguin

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 11:13

S & D,

I can't agree with your point about the common American.  There is really very little difference between the various Anglos.  Especially in North America, we are virtually the same.

The Fourth of July is just a long weekend now.  The War for Independence may as well have happened in 1775 BC.  A non-issue now.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 11:25

S & D,

I can't agree with your point about the common American.  There is really very little difference between the various Anglos.  Especially in North America, we are virtually the same.

The Fourth of July is just a long weekend now.  The War for Independence may as well have happened in 1775 BC.  A non-issue now.

Well, if you mean that Canada today looks closer to a colony of the U.S. rather than part of the British Empire, that's actually quite correct. Just take a look to the Toronto Blue Jays or the Edmonton Oilers that play in common American-U.S. leages of baseball and hockey, respectively.

It is amazing the influence of the U.S. in Canada in language, customs, music and traditions. The only think that is different, I believe, it is the attitude with regards to violence. Americans fall in love with theirs guns; Canadians are a more peaceful people and humanitarians.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 04-Aug-2007 at 11:28
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 11:30
Originally posted by pinguin

Canada, on the other side, won its independence doing paperwork Big%20smileLOLLOL. Sometime I wonder if Canada is really independent. After all, they still have the figure of Queen Elizabeth II in theirs bills and official papers.

In fairness though, your own country and the USA had a somewhat antagonistic relationship with the "mother country". It is natural for you guys to resent the link with that nation.

On the other hand, many colonies had very positive experiences and can be thankful for the foundation the United Kingdom contributed to them in developing into successful nation states. Canada is one, Australia is another - and Queen Liz II is on our $5 note. It's not a symbol of subservience, but of a cherished shared history.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 11:32
Sorry, I gotta disagree with you, atleast in my expierence. Americans seem to take great pride in the 4th, and what is reprsents. I always see poeple take pride in the idea of American Heritage, not British. The first people hear in our history aren't known as the first British settelers, they are the first Colonials or first Americans who paved the way for our future. The Forefathers almost seem like they are religious figures in that they were the ones who stood up to the mighty Empire and gave us our Independence. And because of them, we feel that Liberty and Freedom are words that represent us(though our history may say otherwise!Tongue). I see a Nation thats prides itself in being American, and no where near being Anglo, atleast where I am from. Maybe thats because not to many people in New England are British, or maybe New England has a slightly different culture. Honestly, I don't Know the answer to it, I'm just going on expierence. 
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 11:48
Originally posted by Constantine XI

In fairness though, your own country and the USA had a somewhat antagonistic relationship with the "mother country". It is natural for you guys to resent the link with that nation.

Actually, the link with the mother land was never broken when the countries got independent by force. In Hispanic America we also study and identify with that common past. However, there is an absolute lack of reverence or servitude with respect to the former empire.

Originally posted by Constantine XI

On the other hand, many colonies had very positive experiences and can be thankful for the foundation the United Kingdom contributed to them in developing into successful nation states. Canada is one, Australia is another - and Queen Liz II is on our $5 note. It's not a symbol of subservience, but of a cherished shared history.

In Hispanic America, at least, would be absolutely ridiculous to put the figure of King of Spain in our currency. That place is reserved for our intellectuals, warriors and, of course, heroes of Independence Big%20smileBig%20smile

It is curious, though, than in meetings of the Iberian countries sometimes the King of Spain is invited.... perhaps some day he would appear in our bills as well, to imitate Australia and Canada LOL

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 04-Aug-2007 at 11:50
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 06:02
I dont think Americans really have broken away from the motherland so to speak, just the same as Canada, Australia an New Zealand.

It also depends what type of American you are talking about. The Black Americans have no ties to England or any European nation just the same as how Native/Meztizo South Americans have no solid link to Spain or Portugal.

Fighting an Independance war meant freedom for the British Americas, i guess its the same for the South Americans.

Pinguin. Do you get many North Americans passing through ?

calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 06:16
Originally posted by think

It also depends what type of American you are talking about. The Black Americans have no ties to England or any European nation just the same as how Native/Meztizo South Americans have no solid link to Spain or Portugal.

This is very relative.
USA is linked to England by language and certain values, just as Latin America is linked to Spain and Portugal.

As for the population, both populations in North and South America are quite mixed.
The bulk of the population of the USA probably do not have a drop of English blood as they are descended from post-1800s immigration waves: predominantly from Ireland, Germany Scandinavia, and later on Italy, Eastern Europe, Asia, and nowadays Mexico and Central America.

I would say that Latin America is probably more linked by blood to Iberia than the USA is to England, as the bulk of immigrants (not all) to Latin America came from the Iberian Peninsula.
Many Latin American immigrants in Spain today have Spanish passports inherited from a parent, grandparent, or even great grandparent who had emigrated.
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 06:48

The British Empire

Basically nothing very much happened until the mid to late 1700s.

True there had been some settlements in the Americas started in Tudor times. True also there had been many voyages by traders in that time to various parts of the world.

True also there had been fighting between Britain and the then Imperial powers who were trying to impose their will on the Americas, namely Spain and France but not so much against Portugal nor against Holland.

As to India and the Far East that was mainly in Dutch and Spanish spheres of influence with some French influence in places. Britains traders were trying to get a foot in the door with The East India Country set up in 1600. South Africa was solidly Dutch who were sparring occasionally with the native Africans who were in turn being pressed by the Zulus who had been forced to leave their original homelands around what is now Zimbabwe.

All nations by then were involved with slavery. The Arabs both from Arabia into Africa and the Berbers raiding parts of Europe including Ireland and Iceland, The Europeans raiding West Africa with the enthusiastic support of the local Native rulers

The 1600s in themselves, didnt show very much other than some expansion of the American colonies some establishment of bases in India with permission of the rulers and some bickering with the other European rivals.

No signs of any genocide.

The 1700s marked the big change thanks to the wars between the various European powers. Although the British lost their American colonies, they gained control over many other areas which had formerly been under the control of their enemies.

Again no signs of genocide. Slave Trade continued by all parties as before. Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific opened up and much was claimed by Britain and other areas claimed by other powers.

So at the start of 19th century, Britain had control of Canada, a number of the West Indies islands, British Guyana and what will become Belize. Odd islands scattered about in the Atlantic such as St Helena. In the Pacific, Australia and New Zealand were claimed as were a number of Islands such as Fiji. In the Far East Singapore was claimed and large parts of India were either under control or at least under Princely control with British supervision. The Cape Province was ceded to Britain. In Europe Gibraltar was ceded and Malta was also controlled. Again note no genocide has as yet taken place.

The 19th Century was by its end and into the 20th Century the apex of the British Empire. In that time, India had been brought under the sway of the British Crown as had Burma. Australia, Canada and New Zealand were self-governing Dominions. South Africa after the war against the Boers was in a similar position. There were a number of colonies and protectorates in Africa itself including Egypt and the Sudan. In the Far East Malaysia, Singapore and Sarawak answered to Britain. Hong Kong and the New territories were under lease from China. A number of Islands in the Pacific were under British control. In the Atlantic, St Helena, Tristan da Cunha and the Falkland Islands had been settled and South Georgia was under British control.

Slavery itself thanks to the lead of Britain and ultimately with the co-operation of other leading powers had eventually been banned although in some remote areas Arab raiders were still known to be active in this area.

Let us consider the Empire during the 19th Century. Canada after the takeover from the French, continued to prosper. True there were some occasional difficulties with the Americans and the native Indians. However with no genocide nor slavery and Canada developed into a major self-governing Dominion with a constitutional monarchy in control. The Caribbean Islands had a harder time but slavery was abolished, no genocide took place. They remained colonies under the British Crown. The various Islands in the Atlantic were settled and remained as British Colonies as did the islands in the Mediterranean. No genocide nor slavery. Australia had a more chequered history given the nature of its origins. There were problems with the native Aborigines and certainly in Tasmania the native population either died or were killed. However over the century, Australian developed into a democracy and became a self-governing dominion. For many years there were still problems with the Aborigines. New Zealand had its share of wars against the Maoris. However, no genocide was involved. Again New Zealand settled into a self-governing dominion under the British Monarchy. There was some friction from time to time between the settlers and the Maoris but this settled.

The Pacific Islands including Fiji were all held as Colonies. No signs of genocide nor of slavery. Sarawak became a Protectorate under their Rajah. Singapore remained a colony as did Malaysia. Again no genocide or other nasties.

Then how about India and Burma ?  Well over the century, more parts of India came under the sway of the British Crown. By the end effectively the whole subcontinent was under British control. However, it must be remembered that by and large for the majority of the inhabitants life went on as normal. The British only directly ruled a part of India the rest being under the Princes control. On the whole the southern half remained very peaceful. In the North around the big cities, stayed peaceful but on the frontier there was fairly continual unrest. Slowly, slowly peace prevailed for the most part and life went on much the same for the most part of the inhabitants. Sure there was trading activity but again the majority by Indian hands. The British were a small minority. Again as the century progressed, more and more control was taken over by the UK government. One of the crowning achievements was ultimately to have a peaceful country administered by an honest and upright civil service set up by the UK and  which remained a jewel in Indias crown to the present day. The Dacoitry, and Thugee which made difficulties for travellers had been suppressed as had the custom of suttee.

There were of course troubles. There were some famines which have been well documented in previous entries. There was of course the Mutiny which gave rise to atrocities on both sides but which was relatively short-lived. It was mainly confined to the central swathe between Calcutta Delhi and Mumbai(Bombay). It was mainly fermented by some ambitious Princes but fortunately the majority of the Indian Army remained loyal. It led to the final take-over by the UK from the Company. After that there was peace again with a gradual increase in the demand for independence. Congress was set up and provided a platform and the starting point for Indian democracy.

During both World Wars the Indian troops all fought bravely and well in a number fronts.

After WWI the movement for independence grew dramatically. There was some unrest in some of the bigger cities and there were some fatalities. However, the move towards independence was inexorable and eventually took place in 1947; regrettably amid much bloodshed as Pakistan and India divided. However, India has indisputably remained a democracy and is becoming a major industrial power.

Similarly in Africa where countries slowly gained their independence. Most became democracies unfortunately many of them came under the sway of Dictators garbed in the veneer of democracy and the people were suffering far worse than any alleged suffering under British rule.  Tribal differences came to the fore again.

In the Middle East, Britain along with France had been mandated under the League of Nations to look after territories which were formed after the break-up of the Ottoman Empire. These after WWII became independent and gave rise to wars and uprisings which occurred after the mandating countries withdrew.

From the British Empire grew the British Commonwealth to which nearly all the old dominions and colonies have adhered.

Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 09:21
Graham,

I think we repeating ourselves. I don't think responding to your claims sentence by sentence (which I can) will take this discussion anywhere.
I won't discuss the specifics such as whether there was food surplus in India during the second Bengal famine any more, as I supplied the sources to my claims, and anyone interested can read them on their own.

The important points are;

1. I believe the British rule in India caused excess deaths in the tens of millions. (Primarily by creating artificial famines or by failing to prevent them when they could. Note that artificial, here as in everywhere, means 'man-made'. It does not necessarily mean 'deliberately created'. Of course I agree that India had experienced natural famines before the British came and incorporated them in their 'free' market economy. One can say these famines are the result of the extreme liberal economics, therefore are the crimes of capitalism rather than the British Empire, but as you agree, the two go hand in hand.) 

2. European colonialism is characterised by constant wealth-transfer from the periphery (colonies) to the core (coloniser) and institutionalised racism (or at least orientalism) which favours a certain ethnic group/race above others. The British (and European) interest in profits and keeping the colonial markets free for their own production were the primary reason for the de-industrialisation of India, and their other colonies and semi-colonies. 

3. The British had no intention to allow self-rule or to promote democracy in India, or in other colonies maybe with the exception where the 'whites' were the majority.

4. China, Turkey, and Persia were all classical empires which were semi-colonies, who had no control over access to their markets. They were by no means independent.
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 11:54
Compare the British Empire and her "liberal" policies with the Soviet Empire and her Communist policies.

The Brits did not formulate government policy to purposefully starve to death 9,000,000 kulaks because it was a convenient approach to eliminating opposition.  That was another outstanding achievement of the concept of the workers and peasants paradise-state.

The Czarist Russian Empire was more humane than that.

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 06-Aug-2007 at 11:57
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 12:50
Originally posted by calvo

This is very relative.
USA is linked to England by language and certain values, just as Latin America is linked to Spain and Portugal.

As for the population, both populations in North and South America are quite mixed.
The bulk of the population of the USA probably do not have a drop of English blood as they are descended from post-1800s immigration waves: predominantly from Ireland, Germany Scandinavia, and later on Italy, Eastern Europe, Asia, and nowadays Mexico and Central America.

I would say that Latin America is probably more linked by blood to Iberia than the USA is to England, as the bulk of immigrants (not all) to Latin America came from the Iberian Peninsula.
Many Latin American immigrants in Spain today have Spanish passports inherited from a parent, grandparent, or even great grandparent who had emigrated.

Absolutely agree!

There is a romantical link between Latin American and Spain. But the link is with the historical country of most of our ancestors, rather than with the country Spain. However, Latin Americans are more loyal to theirs own American lands rather than a remote place in Europe. They call theirs lands the "Mother Land" (Patria) and Spain is remembered as the "Mother country" (Madre Patria). It is curious that they call other Latino countries as the "brother countries" as well, like it were a big family ruled by a single mother: Spain LOL.  Double identity, I guess.

In short, when Latinos are patriotic think in the Ancient Amerindians and in the War of Independence. When they get romantic or nostalgic, they think in Spain as the land of some of theirs ancestors and culture. Well, Brazilians that are also Latinos have a similar relation with Portugal instead of Spain, of course.

Pinguin
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 16:49
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

4. China, Turkey, and Persia were all classical empires which were semi-colonies, who had no control over access to their markets. They were by no means independent.

Bey,

You are right that the British Empire, as well as all the colonial empires did no favours to the Ottoman, Chinese, and Persian empires, but calling them "semi-colonies" is a bit of an exageration.

One element that these 3 countries have in common is that they had already been in decay before the European colonial power exploited them. The imperialist powers were merely like worms eating a rotten apple and thus accelerating its decay.

Ottoman decline began after the age of Suleyman and continued slowly and steadily through the 17th and 18th century. The infrastucture and management of the empire was already thoroughly corrupt by the late 1700s. If it wasn't capable of managing its own resources...., it probably wasn't solely due to western exploitation.

The Chinese Empire had already passed its peak in 1800. Even before the Opium war there had been various famines and peasant rebellions that the imperial army proved incapable of suppressing.

With the Persians..... by 1800, much of its army, technology, and management was seriously outdated.

Even if the westerners never delivered their blows, I would still doubt that these 3 regimes would have lasted any longer.
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 01:47
The bulk of the population of the USA probably do not have a drop of English blood as they are descended from post-1800s immigration waves: predominantly from Ireland, Germany Scandinavia, and later on Italy, Eastern Europe, Asia, and nowadays Mexico and Central America

North America is mainly mixed on l"ocal level". Plenty of English an Scots had already settled in America before the Irish or Germans came.
Italians werent strewn across America, more localised to certain cities.
I would say the majority of Americas have an English ancestor, as they were the first there. Either way English, Scots, Welsh an Irish are technically the same people anyway.

I would say that Latin America is probably more linked by blood to Iberia than the USA is to England, as the bulk of immigrants (not all) to Latin America came from the Iberian Peninsula

Latin America was only sparsely colonised, unlike North America. Also Argentina had alot of Italian immigrants.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 08:35
The Brits did not formulate government policy to purposefully starve to death 9,000,000 kulaks because it was a convenient approach to eliminating opposition.

No they didn't. They formulated government policy to 'unintentionally' starve to death 40,000,000 Indians, because it was a convenient approach to making more money for the rich Englishmen.  

That was another outstanding achievement of the concept of the workers and peasants paradise-state.

'Worker's paradise' is taken from nazi propaganda, was not a claim of the USSR. You should stop reading Goebbels, it is not good for you.

In any case, these achievements are dwarfed by the outstanding achievements of the liberal capitalist free marketeer rich man's paradises' achievements in India, Africa, ad Russia. Congo Free State anyone?  

The Czarist Russian Empire was more humane than that.

Sure. Millions of muslims they killed don't count, because they were sub-human anyway. Only rich white kulaks count.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 08:49
You are right that the British Empire, as well as all the colonial empires did no favours to the Ottoman, Chinese, and Persian empires, but calling them "semi-colonies" is a bit of an exageration.

One element that these 3 countries have in common is that they had already been in decay before the European colonial power exploited them. The imperialist powers were merely like worms eating a rotten apple and thus accelerating its decay.

I don't think calling these countries semi-colonies in the 19th century is an exaggeration. They had little control of their economy. Great Powers dictated them what to do. A foreign trader had more legal and economic rights than a local one in the Ottoman Empire. Don't ever think that this was a desired situaiton for these empires. They were forced to that situation by Western arms, as was the case in the Opium war.
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 09:07
Bey,

I wanted to get a new edition of Goebbels's Mein Krapf but its out of print.

Pike

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 07-Aug-2007 at 16:11
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 10:20

The bulk of the population of the USA probably do not have a drop of English blood as they are descended from post-1800s immigration waves: predominantly from Ireland, Germany Scandinavia, and later on Italy, Eastern Europe, Asia, and nowadays Mexico and Central America

North America is mainly mixed on l"ocal level". Plenty of English an Scots had already settled in America before the Irish or Germans came.
Italians werent strewn across America, more localised to certain cities.
I would say the majority of Americas have an English ancestor, as they were the first there. Either way English, Scots, Welsh an Irish are technically the same people anyway.

I would say that Latin America is probably more linked by blood to Iberia than the USA is to England, as the bulk of immigrants (not all) to Latin America came from the Iberian Peninsula

Latin America was only sparsely colonised, unlike North America. Also Argentina had alot of Italian immigrants.

Well, actually both are right and wrong. Latin America is a mixture of lot of people. Iberian blood is the most common I would say, but there are at least as much other European ancestry as Iberian. Besides, Natives, Blacks, German, Arabs and Asians also exist in numbers. It is a continent of minorities and very diverse where you can find menonites besides guaranies and white people praying to Yemanja LOL. It is not uniformely mixed either as some people believe.

And it is also true that Latin America even today is sparsely populated. Beyond the major cities of ten or more millions where you feel overcrowded, there are large extensions of land where you can hardly find a human being in hundred of miles around.

Pinguin

HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 11:33
beylerbeyi.I agree with you.And i agree also in  regard to the Ottoman,Persian and Chinese empires.The only reason why they actually survived was because they were tools for the big powers,first of only England and France and latter Russia and Germany had their say to.

The fact that they had colosal debts to pay to the English and the French empires  proves the point.And that the debt was so high it was imposible to pay proves the point that they were tools of the big empires working to create a world of their liking.
Me pune,me perpjekje.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>