Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ottoman Empire should be included here also

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ottoman Empire should be included here also
    Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 22:26

I have read some papers and a book of a guy named Prof. Ilber Ortayli.

Do not worry, he is not an extremist guy. He always mentions that Ottoman Empire was the third Roman Empire. Well many things were inherited from Roman Empire for sure. The style of the mosques, architecture, state organization, army organization, etc...

What do you think?

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 00:34

are you one of those turkish who are dying to be westerner?

Edited by azimuth
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 06:59
Roman-Byzantium influence in Ottoman Empire is undeniable, i've read the the Turkish bath is probably the closest thing to the Roman take on the matter, but the title 'third Rome' usualy goes to Russia/Moscow for whatever reasons.

Anyways, for convenience sake, it goes in the 'Islamic Empires' forum, likewise Russia goes 'Imperial age'.
Arrrgh!!"
Qnzkid711 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qnzkid711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 09:24
Originally posted by azimuth

lol
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 09:31
Perhaps Moscow can be the third Rome in a city sense, but it is undeniable and it doesnt take an extremist when studying the Ottomans to see the influence that they received from Rome.

Turkey today is not the inheritor of Rome, we all in the West are, but i believe the Ottoman Empire has a strong case for it.
HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 14:31
Originally posted by azimuth

No thanks I am not dying, I am living.

HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 14:35

Ottoman Empire was more Roman than Islamic for sure in my opinion. It was never an islamic empire actually. The people in the Balkans was not forced for conversion, unlike the other islamic empires.

Janissary was some kind of a Legionarry.

99% of the mosques in Turkey are influenced by Hagia Sophia Church.

Turkish Arts Music is coming from Roman Rituals, you should listen it, especially while drinking raki.ouzo/wine and eating fish .

Edited by HulaguHan
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 17:26

How can anyone claim that the Ottoman Empire was a extention of the Roman Empire?

The Ottman Empire REPLACED what was left of the Roman Empire. Just because they inheriated certain aspects of Byzantine (Roman) culture does not make them Roman.

The Ottman Empire was a Islamic Empire in every sense (Not only was it the seat of the Caliphate for half of Islams history, it was one of the longest surviving dynasties in history), is it just that the Turks of today may be ashamed to admit it so?

Edited by wiseking
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 18:05
Originally posted by HulaguHan

He always mentions that Ottoman Empire was the third Roman Empire. Well many things were inherited from Roman Empire for sure. The style of the mosques, architecture, state organization, army organization, etc...

What do you think?

Well, I quite fail to understand why anybody wants to be the Third Rome.I think the Turkish people have enough things to be proud of in their own unique culture, and don't need to be the sequel to a sequel.
This whole thing about the 1st,2nd and 3rd Rome in any case is so incredible superficial, is just a catching headline, and doesn't really mean anything. Each nation that was previously conquered by the Romans absorbed some aspects of its culture. The Byzantine Empire in its last centuries, when the Turks came in contact with it, in any case had very little resemblance with the Roman Empire at its height, it was Greek and neither shared religion, language or most of its people with the First Rome. Even if the Byzantine Empire understood itself in the Roman tradition, it was Roman only by name.

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Christscrusader View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 19:14
This should be placed in Islamic forum or Asian forum, not in the greek/roman one.
Heaven helps those, who help themselves.
-Jc
Qnzkid711 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qnzkid711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2005 at 21:53

Ottoman Empire was more Roman than Islamic for sure in my opinion. It was never an islamic empire actually. The people in the Balkans was not forced for conversion, unlike the other islamic empires.

Tell that to my people(Albanians) who were slaughtered and raped until conversions. The smart ones left for Italy Sicily.

Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2005 at 23:06
Hah, I new there was a reason alot of Albanians were Muslims. I kinda had a feelin tho
-Jc
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 00:14
Originally posted by Qnzkid711

Tell that to my people(Albanians) who were slaughtered and raped until conversions. The smart ones left for Italy Sicily.

then why they still muslims?

Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 00:15
Parents choice, of course, isn't that how most religion is passed on?
-Jc
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 08:18
At least their not walking around in skirts. 
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 08:47

Originally posted by Seko

At least their not walking around in skirts. 

Are you trying to be insulting or plain stupid?

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 08:55

Originally posted by Christscrusader

Parents choice, of course, isn't that how most religion is passed on?

yes

but if you are a grown up man and knew that this religion was forced on you and it is not suitable for you why are you keep practicing it?

why Albanians with all these suffering just because they are muslims still muslims

i guess the raping and the killing these days not to force them to become muslims , its the other way around

and they still muslims and increasing.

Edited by azimuth
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 13:46
Religeon grows on people.

Look at People in Mexico and down.  The Spainiards killed, raped, and pillaged Indian civilizations but the people down there still hold dear to Christian religeons...some with the Phillippines.
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 14:19

If anyone is the successor to the Byzantine Empire it is the Ottoman Empire. Russia's case is really weak. This is the majority view among Ottoman historians from anywhere as well, as far as I can tell. I've read it from many sources, including Ortayli, Lewis and Hobsbawm.

On the other hand, I think the OE is also an Islamic Empire, and its identity as an Islamic Empire takes precedence over its other facets, including its 'Turkishness' or 'Romanness'. So I see nothing wrong with placing the OE under Islamic Empires.

Finally, since the Byzantine Empire is not considered 'western' I don't see how the OE being its successor would make Turks western. Sounds like a flimsy excuse to attack people...

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 16:10

Please tell me where in the Ottoman archieves that their was a document stressing forcefull conversion of Albanians.

To mention rape and forced conversion one should simply roll back the clock to 1995 and after. Tell me who were forcing the Bosnians and Albanians to convert and who were raping them? Why did Europe do nothing until the American's stepped in? Who supported Serbia and the ultranationalists in their ethnic cleansing campaign, while most of the world watched in disgust?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>