Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

21 Dead in Virginia Tech shooting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 21 Dead in Virginia Tech shooting
    Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 04:12
Gheghis, my first thought went to you when I heard. Glad you are safe!

There will never be an explanation for these things...it is the very absence of reason.... My sympathies to the families of the ones that died...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 06:05
Originally posted by Genghis

It's actually 32 now.  I go to Virginia Tech and study engineering there, as does my sister who studies animal science.  We are both safe and all those we know personally are safe.
Im also glad your safe and that you didn't witness the horror being so close. ive read some accounts of one of the survivors, one word: Horrible

Originally posted by Majkes

But why does it happen so often in US? what can be the reason except that people have easy access to weapon? It can't be the main reason cause I think in Canada it is the same thing with the weapon as in US but such tragedies don't happen.
they get more than their fair share, Australia lost 35 people (37 wounded) at Port Arthur, Tasmania in 1996. Its not just something that happens there

Edited by Leonidas - 17-Apr-2007 at 06:07
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 08:58
This could be the guy, or maybe not?

Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 09:06
I believe the loe shooter was amongst the dead. Plus, the police pinned umerous people down to be safe and only release them when they were eliminated as suspects. He's probably just a lucky student
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 09:23
This could be the guy, or maybe not?

Considering a) he looks alive and b) he still has a head, i doubt it.
Arrrgh!!"
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 10:01
he is reported dead, and apparently is South Korean so maybe they were just taking down anyone that fit that profile.

edit: the shooters name is reported as  Cho Seung-Hui

SMH

Edited by Leonidas - 17-Apr-2007 at 10:06
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 10:41

Genghis, happy that you are safe...

Are the murders 2 hours before the massacre done by the same guy?

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 14:55
First of all, i'm once again shocked about this outbreak of violence.
Hope the bereaved, the families and friends, will have enough support to handle this trauma. And of course, Genghis i'm glad to hear you are ok.

But at the next moment i'm totaly confused.

What's wrong in this society, that once again, someone saw his only way out of his problems, to shoot down univolved?

What's wrong with a society, wher eyeryone can get weapons to do a massacre ?

What's wrong with a society, who accepts the death of  thousands and thousands, as long it happens somewhere in the orient, but collapse when it happens in it's middle?

Who cares about the dead children of Bagdad, Dafour and in all other places of this lovely earth?

I hope, that all this persons in charge will find the right conclusions. But  have second thoughts.

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 15:46
Glad to see your alright Genghis. Seems very depressing and horrible to here about this...
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 16:08
Glad to hear you're Ok Genghis, only this morning i heard it was at Virginia Tech and immediataley though of you. good to hear nothign happend to you nor your sister.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 16:47
Genghis, happy that you and your friends are safe.

what a nonsense waste of life.

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 16:52
For Genghis:

Jim, we are all Hokies today.

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 17:03
Glad you've made it safe. Deepest feeling to the friends and relative of those who died there.
I am a free donkey!
Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 18:26
From what is being described by the media, he was apparently extremely depressed and may have been taking medications. He was also a loner and not a single person in the whole university knew him properly to the extent that the university and the police had trouble getting information about him.
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 23:22
Today I found out the husband of one of my old German professors got killed.  My current German professor sent out an email informing all of us in her class.  One of our French professors was also killed.  I never took French or knew her, but the departments are all very close. 

The saddest part to me is that one of the engineering professors who died was a Holocaust survivor who died blocking the door so his students could escape.

Even in this time of great sorrow though, spirits are high as they can be and all of us are determined to get through this together and no one I know is considering anything but staying at Virginia Tech, our home.

Too bad that times like these are necessary for us to feel the camaraderie that we should always feel.
Member of IAEA
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 23:45
Genghis, I'm glad to hear that you are all right in the middle of all of this madness. I'm sorry to hear that people you knew and respected, as well as those you didn't know personally died. Like most of the nation my prayers are with the victims, the killer and their families. May they all find their peace.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 01:28
The saddest part to me is that one of the engineering professors who died was a Holocaust survivor who died blocking the door so his students could escape.

Cry
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 03:51

There is a growing social problem in the US right now.If i remember correctly ,it was a few years or months ago when children carrying weapons entered schools and started shooting everybody.The US laws about guns must be revised.

Also ,the fact that this man was psychologically disturbed ,shows the bad side of living in an highly industrialized society.

Edited by Spartakus - 18-Apr-2007 at 03:52
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 07:29
May Allah give patience to those who lost their beloved onesCry
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2007 at 08:36
I am of course saddened by the whole affair and happy at least for Genghis and his sister.

But frankly I was worried very much by the militaristic nature of the 'convocation' ceremony that was televised yesterday. These were not soldiers killed in battle, they were ordinary young people, tragically slain by a madman.

So why play Taps? Why the military ceremony of retiring the colours? Why so many uniforms around? 

A religious ceremony I can of course understand. But not all the uniforms and the flags.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>