Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alcohol, It's Discovery and Ramifications

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alcohol, It's Discovery and Ramifications
    Posted: 21-Feb-2007 at 00:51
Alcohol: Demon to some, a glimpse of God's grace to others. What's it really like? Many ancient religions included alcohol in it's mysteries (Mithraism, Judeao-Christian religion, Greek, Roman, Celtic, Germannic... etc), and many great artists and inventors and warriors and statesmen and soldiers in Western Civilization have been die-hard drinkers. I'll name a notable few:

Winston Churchill: The man won the Battle of Britain, coached the UK through it's second World War, and invented the Churchill Martini. He once famously said, "I've taken more from alcohol than alcohol has ever taken from me."

Samuel Adams: One of the Framers of the American Constitution. He has a beer named after him today. As an aside, many of the Framers brewed their own beer or ales on their estates, and Thomas Jefferson penned the Declaration of Independence while sitting in a tavern in Philadelphia. I have been to this tavern. They still serve Monticello ale, made to the original recipe from the 1770's.

Ernest Hemingway: I don't even think anyone needs to say anything about this fellow.

Vincent Van Gogh: The man used to get so sloshed on absinthe that he thought cutting off his ear and mailing it to his girlfriend was a good idea. Hell of an artists too, I must say.

Lord Byron: (Nominal) Hero of the War for Greek Independence, and one of the greatest lewd poets ever. He helped define the Romantic Era.

Frank Sinatra: This guy drank hard, chased women, and hand a large hand in popularizing lounge music. The Rat Pack is still famous for their exploits (both on, and off, stage today). Hob-nobbed with mobsters and politicians alike.

John F. Kennedy: Anybody who doesn't think ol' Jack didn't like a drink needs to re-read his histories.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: Repealed prohibition (and then proceded to mix the nations first legal cocktail during his evening address, drinking it live and on the air). He re-stimulated the failing American economy with his New Deal, and helped the Allies to victory in WWII.

Note that this is a two part question: What are the ramifications throughout history of alcohol use (and abuse)? What great people can you think of who loved? What great people can you think of who never touched the stuff?
Cheers (literally!)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12