Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Something that may be new to Muslims

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Something that may be new to Muslims
    Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 20:02
Against popular misconception, majority of the Muslims around the world do not live in Middle East. (I found it not too long ago...) I was somewhat stunned, but I thought that some of the people interested in Muslim might know this. (I am sure. After all, it's their religion)

1. Indonesia - 154 million
2. Middle East and Northern Africa - 144 million
3. Bangladesh - 90 million
4. Pakistan - 90 million
5. India - 70 million
6. China (I know some are making Confused face) - 63 million
7. Turkey - 46 million

And the list goes on. Give or take.

Did you know that there are 1.5 million Muslims in Great Britain and over 5 million Americans are Muslim?

In total, there are about 850 million Muslims worldwide... making Islam the biggest religion only second to Christianity.

Join us.
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 22:31
Yes I read this on Wikipedia not too long ago.  It's interesting.  Now perhaps you see why some Muslims outside of the middle east feel ignored!
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 22:37
I was wondering, how could there be so many Muslims in China? I thought they were either Communists, Buddist, or other Chinese religions. How did Islam got into China?

Join us.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 23:03

Those figures are way out of date. Consider population of Turkey-->

Turkey's Population Exceeds 72 Million as of june 2005.

India has 140 million muslims.
Indonesia has atleast 200.

Pekau, you need to get new statistics.

All in all i think the actual figure may be close to 1.5 billion.

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 23:27
Originally posted by malizai_

Those figures are way out of date. Consider population of Turkey-->

Turkey's Population Exceeds 72 Million as of june 2005.

India has 140 million muslims.
Indonesia has atleast 200.

Pekau, you need to get new statistics.

Noted. I just found bits of info flying around. Thanks for your advice.

By the way, Indonesia still has much of the Muslim's population... right?

Join us.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 01:12
right.

Chinese population seems too high, allthough i admit there is little statistical data available.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 07:06
Originally posted by Dan Carkner

Yes I read this on Wikipedia not too long ago.  It's interesting.  Now perhaps you see why some Muslims outside of the middle east feel ignored!

Strapping on a few dynamite belts would change that overnight. Tongue

Point being; the media are only interested in those that shout the loudest, and are the most extreme.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 07:14
Ignore the official numbers for Turkey. Only the minorities are considered non-Muslim. There are many atheist, agnostic, nontheist Turks.
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 08:27

Originally posted by pekau

I was wondering, how could there be so many Muslims in China? I thought they were either Communists, Buddist, or other Chinese religions. How did Islam got into China?

Actually, Turkic people adopted Islam as their religion beginning from Talas war of 757 which took place between Arabs and Chinese. Turkic people sided with The Arabs an got to know about Islam. So Islam gained a place in the Central Asian World.

Also There are millions of Turkic Uigur people residing in China. Their region is also called East Turkestan.

Check the link.. There are also some good material on Islam in China

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uigur

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 08:47

This is bull* islamist propaganda or, better said, dawaganda LOL

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 08:49
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

Actually, Turkic people adopted Islam as their religion beginning from Talas war of 757 which took place between Arabs and Chinese. Turkic people sided with The Arabs an got to know about Islam. So Islam gained a place in the Central Asian World.

Also There are millions of Turkic Uigur people residing in China. Their region is also called East Turkestan.

there are also ethiv chinese who are muslim like the HUI

According to the 2000 census, the largest of the ten traditionally Muslim ethnic groups in China are the Hui (9.8 million in year 2000 census, or 48% of the officially tabulated number of Muslims). The other nine, in descending order of size, are Uyghurs (8.4 million, 41%), Kazakhs (1.25 million , 6.1%), Dongxiang (514 thousand, 2.5%), Kirghiz (161 thousand), Salar (105 thousand), Tajiks (41 thousand), Bonan (17 thousand), Uzbek (12 thousand), and Tatar (5 thousand). However, individual members of traditionally Muslim ethnic groups may profess other religions or none at all, while Muslim believers may also be found among traditionally non-Muslim groups (one example being the Kache, who are ethnically Tibetan).Muslims are predominatly in the areas thatborder Central Asia, Tibet and Mongolia, i.e Xinjiang, Ningxia, Gansu and Qinghai which is know as the Quran Belt

I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 09:22
Of course, there is an awful lot of Chinese people, so even if only a small percentage of them is muslim, that is still a lot in absolute numbers...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 11:50
Originally posted by Leonardo

This is bull* islamist propaganda or, better said, dawaganda LOL

Because the Lord told you so?Wink.

Although it is the most commonly quoted figure by CNN, FOX, BBC, i personally think the actual number might be close to 1.3 billion. But that is irrelevant to the point. which is that the population is almost double the quoted figure.

"DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (CNN) -- For many of the world's estimated 1.5 billion Muslims, Islam is more than a religion -- it's a creed that governs every aspect of life, including business. "

Edited by malizai_ - 07-Feb-2007 at 11:54
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 13:34
Originally posted by Feanor

Ignore the official numbers for Turkey. Only the minorities are considered non-Muslim. There are many atheist, agnostic, nontheist Turks.
they count as Muslims too as how many Christians are actually atheists and such.
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 14:30
Originally posted by xi_tujue

Originally posted by TheDiplomat

there are also ethiv chinese who are muslim like the HUI

According to the 2000 census, the largest of the ten traditionally Muslim ethnic groups in China are the Hui (9.8 million in year 2000 census, or 48% of the officially tabulated number of Muslims). The other nine, in descending order of size, are Uyghurs (8.4 million, 41%), Kazakhs (1.25 million , 6.1%), Dongxiang (514 thousand, 2.5%), Kirghiz (161 thousand), Salar (105 thousand), Tajiks (41 thousand), Bonan (17 thousand), Uzbek (12 thousand), and Tatar (5 thousand). However, individual members of traditionally Muslim ethnic groups may profess other religions or none at all, while Muslim believers may also be found among traditionally non-Muslim groups (one example being the Kache, who are ethnically Tibetan).Muslims are predominatly in the areas thatborder Central Asia, Tibet and Mongolia, i.e Xinjiang, Ningxia, Gansu and Qinghai which is know as the Quran Belt

That's right. Most of  Chinese Muslim either belong  to the Hui ethnic group, who are thought to be the descendant of Arab and Persian settled in China long time ago or the Turkic-speaking group. There are very few Han Chinese convert muslim.

Xi Tujue, do you speak Chinese? 'Cause your name in Mandarin Chinese means "Western Turk".

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 21:43
There are something like
200 million Indonesians
150 million Indians (although even up to 300 is quoted sometimes, 150 is the census)
150+ million Pakistanis
200ish million Bengalis (less than Indonesia)
+ Malaysia, the Phillipines and Thailand
Thats a minimum 700 million in South - South East asia alone

20 million Chinese (including Uyghur)
30 million Europeans (don't know how Europe is defined)
70 million Turks
60 million Iranis
10 million Americans
------
900 million

+ Central Asia, Russia, Africa, of which I have no idea what the population is. Isn't Nigeria's population about 100 million and 60% muslim?

And thats without the Arabs.

So definitely in the 1.3-1.5 billion region. Although population statistics for much of the muslim world is out of date.

The "offical" figures are 1.5 billion muslims, 2.1 billion Christians. With hindusim at third with 900 million.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 07-Feb-2007 at 21:49
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 07:00
Same as for Turkey, not everyone in Iran considers themself Muslim. Government says we are 99% Muslim! And they kill anyone who says otherwise or practises otherwise!

How many more actually call themselves Muslim and live more like heathens? lol. Iran has 300,000 prostitutes from a population of 70,000,000 - now they have customers too!

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 07:28
But being a prostitute does not exclude being a muslima, neither does visiting a prostitute exclude being muslim. These might not be very 'good' muslims perhaps, but when they believe they are still muslims.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 08-Feb-2007 at 07:30

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 08:15
Yea, I said, they call themselves Muslims but don't really act like how a Muslim should - Hypocrites, as with most followers of Abrahamic religions. The worst kind being American Christian pro-lifers.

I heard somewhere that Islam is the fastest growing religion, it was Islamic propaganda, I beleive this is the case only becuase Islamic countries have the higehst birth rates, not because everyone is converting en masse - very misleading.
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 12:36

as well as the Arabs Muslims 300,000,000.

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>