Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who do Americans consider closer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Who do Americans consider closer
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [42.55%]
2 [4.26%]
1 [2.13%]
15 [31.91%]
2 [4.26%]
1 [2.13%]
6 [12.77%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who do Americans consider closer
    Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 18:48
This is quite curious,

1 in 9 Americans consider Mexico to be closer LOLLOL
Xshayathiya View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Xshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 21:23
I voted Japan. Right now the US is a sponge for Japanese culture, especially at the lower ages.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you are hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 21:45
And Canada is a sponge for Chinese culture. Isn't that funny?

Pinguin
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 02:00
I seriously believe that it isn't in the spirit of this thread for non-Americans to vote in this pole.

I voted for German culture because the American experience with Germany isn't modern germany but rather the historical fantasy of "The Fatherland." This isn't a unique american phenomenon, turn of the century British thought of themselves as german cousins (perhaps because of the royal family, for which that applied literally) and as such espoused such noble qualities to the german people that americans likewise copied. It stuck more in america since they didn't suffer through two world wars and it had a larger german population.

Then again my experience could be more of a local one, I mean if you heard some conversations I've had with people around here you'd think we we're all Rommel Nazis*

*Along the lines of "You know Hitler wouldn't be so bad if he didn't start killing Jews." -Actually line I heard once.

no that can't be this map must be fake

Actually that map is 100% accurate Top Gun, remember though it's most ancestry so that means that they majority of those counties are more like 20-30% of that nationality than 70-80% of it.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 21:16
Originally posted by JanusRook

I seriously believe that it isn't in the spirit of this thread for non-Americans to vote in this pole.

Who said I am not an American?

I may not be an U.S. citizen but you should remember that AMERICA is the name that was given to SOUTH AMERICA LOLLOL

And remember that your ancestors came to the Americas after everyone else Big%20smile

(just pulling legs, of course)

By the way, there are quite a lot of German descendents in South America as well.

Regards,

Omar

Edited by pinguin - 05-Feb-2007 at 21:18
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 16:55

And remember that your ancestors came to the Americas after everyone else

Yeah but we're all from Africa anyway so in the end location matters for nothing.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 16:48
Originally posted by Xshayathiya

I voted Japan. Right now the US is a sponge for Japanese culture, especially at the lower ages.

Hey Japan is definitly a sponge for US culture as well. The Japanese love Disney!!!
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 13:31
The nation who can provide the biggest market and greatest  profit to american
leung
T. Ape View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote T. Ape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 15:34
I say Japan. As someone said before, America is a sponge for Japanese culture right now.

On the other hand, the countries of Germany and France are not highly thought of in America. Using French or German as an adjective typically means two things: One,  it is fancy or expensive. Two, it is submissive or sissy-ish.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 19:36
Originally posted by pinguin

And Canada is a sponge for Chinese culture. Isn't that funny?

Pinguin

Can you explain that to me? I don't see a lot of Chinese culture just a lot of Chinese. I live in Toronto to which is one of the most mixed cultured cities in the world.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Lord Ranulf View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Lord Ranulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 20:08
Actualy Americans in the main are unfortunately aren't interested in anything related to the premise this thread has developed into imo. That is to say the 'joe' on the street 8-5 busting his butt to make a living and pay his bills. And if the choices reflected above represent anything it's the more educated and or simply inquisitive individual who would broaden his or her academic horizones imo.

Because in the end to those people, it's more then just cheap cars or even loss of jobs thru offshore movement and or working in the same as middle level management. Or trade bases and baseline economics and international realpolitik. It indeed might even be ethnicaly related as an immigrant loves his past yet loves his new country etc.  Or it might be all of those things i just cited; because of the individual impact felt and percieved by whomever you query. I for example didnt even vote because Britain wasn't on the list and that would have been my personal choice.

Edited by Lord Ranulf - 26-Mar-2007 at 20:09
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 21:40
I voted for the germans, I look at the french as more of a big brother type, constant arguing between siblings, with germany as one of the parents.  Of course in Minnesota it seems like 90% of the population has scandinavian or german ancestry.  Nothing but blonde hair and blue eyes.Smile
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 19:18
I voted for the germans, I look at the french as more of a big brother type, constant arguing between siblings, with germany as one of the parents.  Of course in Minnesota it seems like 90% of the population has scandinavian or german ancestry.  Nothing but blonde hair and blue eyes.Smile
Yeah, it also does depend on where your from. In Southern New England it's mostly Italian, Irish, French Canadian, and Hispanic background(mostly Peurto Rican I believe). Which is why I chose Italian.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12