Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The modern Greek military

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 23>
Author
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The modern Greek military
    Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 14:23
One correction, Spilios Spiliotopoulos is no longer a Defence Minister, he was replaced.

Concerning this...

Originally posted by Hellios

...they are Hellen-Cypriot Special Forces.

Edited by Hellios - 24-Mar-2007 at 16:18
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 18:20
PAC-3.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 04:12
^ um thats a pac-2
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 04:24
May I ask what the Pac-2 is and does? Embarrassed
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 07:25
Originally posted by Knights

Greece has PAC-2 and PAC-3 air defence systems.

Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 07:48
Hey Hellios, are those special forces currently being deployed anywhere? They look like they can take on just about anyone...
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 08:19
Originally posted by Knights

back on page six. i posted on this systemSmile

Hey Hellios im not to sure Greece has the Pac-3, (re my post) the equipment they ordered/deployed doesn't match that designation nor does the photos they publish.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 17:05
It's Pac-2 (including the new ones). I read it in a magazine. I don't recall correctly what it was, but there was an issue about this (the Pac-2/Pac-3).

Adawolf, I doubt these special forces are being deployed anywhere, or have seen any actual combat since 1974 (the turkish invasion on the island). They may look impressive, but so do pretty much all soldiers in such propagandistic photos.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 18:44
Thanks for the info about which PAC Hellas uses.  I was confused because some sources (like the one I posted) say PAC-III.
xristar, those are photos of exercises, I can show you propaganda, but won't.

Edited by Hellios - 25-Mar-2007 at 20:04
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 20:36

If i was the photographer , there should be wasted 3-4 missiles at least to capture the momentLOL

TORM-1

This is Russian right?

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 06:40
yes it is russian and a dam good missile (very expensive).

here is my post on it early on this thread (which needs a clean)

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 06:52
not as exciting as a missile or a tank. Greece just bought two reconnaissance pods for its F 16 blk52+ im sure they will by more as the retire the old recco phantoms.

The news
CHARLOTTE, N.C., May 8 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- The Hellenic Air Force (HAF) has selected Goodrich Corporation's (NYSE: GR) DB-110 airborne reconnaissance system for use on F-16 fighters. Greece is acquiring 30 Lockheed Martin F-16 Block 52+, advanced multi-role fighters under the Peace Xenia IV Foreign Military Sale (FMS) program. In the initial FMS contract, Goodrich will provide two F-16 reconnaissance pods, a ground exploitation system and aircraft integration.

According to Tom Bergeron, General Manager of Goodrich's Surveillance and Reconnaissance Systems team, "We're honored to be selected by the Hellenic Air Force. The Goodrich DB-110, with its three fields of view and real-time data link, is the most advanced EO/IR reconnaissance pod available for the F-16. Our successful flight testing on the Poland F-16 aircraft assures the Hellenic Air Force that they will receive a high-performance and low-risk, proven solution. These systems will represent the highest reconnaissance capabilities within NATO providing full interoperability among NATO nation operators."

source

The Pod

Operation

• Day/night dual-band operation (visible and IR)
  • Fully autonomous operation
  • All-reflective 11-inch aperture telescope
  • Focal lengths adjustable to fit application
    • Nominal 110 inches visible
    • Nominal 55 inches IR
  • 180 field of regard across line of flight

Features

• 20 field of regard along line of flight
  • Panoramic scanning (4 to 28)
  • Variable overlap, 10 to 100%
  • Two-axis line-of-sight stabilization
  • Altitude operating range of 10,000 to 80,000 ft.
  • Ground speed range of 0.1 to 1.6 Mach

source

More info

The Goodrich's DB-110 reconnaissance pod is a digital, real-time, tactical reconnaissance system designed to capture images in day or night, using electro-optical sensor technology.

The DB-110 is a long-range oblique sensor to provide long-range, medium range and short-range imaging systems to support standoff and penetrating missions. It can be operated autonomously, by the pod's reconnaissance management system. Imagery is viewed on the F-16's cockpit video display, enabling the pilot to verify targets and conduct tasks such as battle damage assessment. This system allows the pilot increased flexibility over current fielded systems.

The DB-110/RAPTOR (Reconnaissance Airborne Pod for Tornado) delivers high definition imagery in the visible and infrared bands at extremely long ranges. Its offers broad area coverage, spot and stereo coverage. The systems use an 11" aperture telescope with adjustable focal length of 110" in the visible range and 55" in the IR range. The EO assembly is mounted on a two-axis stabilized maintaining 180 field of regard across, and 20 along the line of flight. The system has two-axis line of sight stabilization, and is compensated for ground speed range of 0.1 to 1.6 Mach, at altitude above 10,000 feet. It provides variable overlap capability, from 10 to 100% and panoramic scanning (4 to 28).

source

Edited by Leonidas - 10-May-2007 at 06:54
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 13:48
You know, Greece has like just stopped buying for the last 1,5-2 years.
And we really need some equipment.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 14:00
Originally posted by xristar

First we must train to the equipment that we already have. Our Army General Staff, thinks that its precious new ''toys'' shouldn't be used by our soldiers.
Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 23:53
Originally posted by xristar

They splurged not that long ago, and are looking for next generation equipment for the next round; Eurofighters and (I read) Horizon class frigates, its will be a massive spend on top of what they already bought.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2007 at 01:25

112 Combat Wing
358 Mira (Squadron) "Phaethon"

Air Force Base of Elefsis.

(This post is a WIP)

SA 332C1 Super Puma and the AS 532 Cougar

The HAF has 4 Super Puma's + two more for Medevac and 6(4?) Cougars in CSAR/SAR roles. 4 more SA 332C1's are with the Greek merchant marine.

"The 5 denotes military, A is armed, C is armed-antitank, and U is utility. The second letter represents the level of upgrading. AS 332 Super Puma: Differs from the SA 330 Puma through an improved rotor system, upgraded engines, stretched fuselage, and a modified nose shape. AS 532 Cougar Mk I SC is the naval version of the Cougar.

The Cougar name was adopted for all military variants, and in 1990, all Super Puma designations were changed from AS 332 to AS 532 to distinguish between civil and military variants. The Cougar was designed to provide high performance, ease of deployment, low operating cost, comfort, plus high mission readiness. For military use and adapting to modern battlefield conditions, it features survivability, suitability for tactical flight thanks to exceptional manoeuvrability, low observability, low vulnerability to projectiles, crashworthiness." 1

Dimensions
main rotor diameter16.2 m
tail rotor diameter3.15 m
overall width3.86 m
overall length, rotors turning19.5 m
overall height, tail rotor turning4.97 m
width of wheel track3.0 m
Cabin, maximum length x width x height6.15 x 1.8 x 1.45 m
Performance
never exceed speed327 km/hour
cruise speed273 km/hour
cruise speed, maximum range242 km/hour
Range, standard fuel796 km
Range, maximum fuel1,176 km
Endurance4 hours 20 minutes

http://membres.lycos.fr/wings2/3vues/3vues.html

Inside the Cougar's cockpit

^  from www.militaryfactory.com

HAF SAR-CSAR (Combat Search and Rescue) pictures
I think this is the AS 532 Cougar

http://www.haf.gr/media/AS332_01.jpg
SA 332C1

better pictures found here >
http://www.haf.gr/media/airshow/haf/static/airshow_0419.jpg

AS 532 Cougar

better pictures found here >
http://www.haf.gr/en/media/default.asp

1 globalsecurity.org
2 airforce-technology
3 www.eurocopter.com Technical data PDF
4 www.acig.org

Edited by Leonidas - 20-May-2007 at 01:51
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 20:40
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 20:45

Edited by kiato - 28-Oct-2007 at 23:47
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 11:23
welcome kiato, your additions are welcome
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 08:06
edit

Edited by kiato - 28-Oct-2007 at 06:43
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 23>