Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bulgarian participation in WW 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Liudovik_Nemski View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bulgarian participation in WW 1
    Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 03:58
Here's a great bulgarian video showing some bulgarian soldiers in the trenches and after that charging against the english and french at the first battles at Doiran.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUoV3cKeAJk

The soldiers at other fronts were in similar situation so it will be interesting for people from other nations to see it.Wink

Edit: the first part may get a little boring but after 5:00 its great.Especially the attack "on knife" (as bulgarian generals called it) at the very end of the video.

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 28-Oct-2006 at 13:07
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 10:35
In the begining bulgarian forces performed perfectly.We crushed serbian army which fought very well against Austro-Hungarian Empire.In fact it was a total disaster for Serbia.Remains of their forces ran like rabits to be saved by allies navy.
Bulgaria also fought well against Romania on the northern front.We aslo occupied Buchurest and only one time bulgarian forces faced russian forces.And the bulgarian cavalry defeated Cossacks which was a great victory.
The situatuin with Greece was different and not because of Greece but because of diplomatic moves.First bulgarian forces advanced fast but bulgarian and german politics decided to stop actions because they still wanted to get Greece as ally.It was a mistake becuse Greece joined the enemy and began a positional warfare.After that it was hard for bulgaria to stand against greek,french and british forces.
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 12:20
You may wish to encircle the link in URL tags so that it is clickable

In WW1 Turkey and Bulgaria were allies. A similar episode, but in much larger proportions, occurred in Gallipoli when Britain and her allies were defeated by Kemal Ataturk, the father of the Turks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeeTQXEePx8

Another one in Turkish:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLNPn_XAeCw

Edited by bg_turk - 28-Oct-2006 at 12:30
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 13:16
Originally posted by Krum

In the begining bulgarian forces performed perfectly.We crushed serbian army which fought very well against Austro-Hungarian Empire.In fact it was a total disaster for Serbia.Remains of their forces ran like rabits to be saved by allies navy.
Bulgaria also fought well against Romania on the northern front.We aslo occupied Buchurest and only one time bulgarian forces faced russian forces.And the bulgarian cavalry defeated Cossacks which was a great victory.
The situatuin with Greece was different and not because of Greece but because of diplomatic moves.First bulgarian forces advanced fast but bulgarian and german politics decided to stop actions because they still wanted to get Greece as ally.It was a mistake becuse Greece joined the enemy and began a positional warfare.After that it was hard for bulgaria to stand against greek,french and british forces.

Yes.

"And the english invited the bulgarian general Vladimir Vazov to be at the remembrance gathering in England.The flags of the english divisions who fought there were lowered before the general who personified the bulgarian soldier who did not surrender at Doiran."

Taken from newspaper 'Bulgarian Army'

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 28-Oct-2006 at 13:19
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 06:41
Originally posted by Liudovik_Nemski

Here's a great bulgarian video showing some bulgarian soldiers in the trenches and after that charging against the english and french at the first battles at Doiran.

The soldiers at other fronts were in similar situation so it will be interesting for people from other nations to see it.Wink

Edit: the first part may get a little boring but after 5:00 its great.Especially the attack "on knife" (as bulgarian generals called it) at the very end of the video.

Yes. This is exactly how WW I was like: choreographed by fat, chubby guys to the accompaniment of sentimental music. Nice German helmets, by the way.
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Isbul View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Isbul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 07:31
Prime minister Radoslavov on the entry of war here:
Here is some general info about the bulgarian army at that time.The total mobilased troops for the period of 1915 to 1918 was 1 200 000(in 1914 is 270 000)
Machineguns:248 "Maxim" HMG at 10.09.1915 (4 at regimental level, late war 32 in each regiment). More MG supplied during the war.
the sutuation with the artilery was:1915-240battaries(960pieces)
1918-320 (1280 pieces).Coastal, Anti-air and fortress guns are not included
The army also had
251 000 Manlicher rifles, 9 500 Manlicher carabins, 13 000 Mauser rifles, 3 600 Martiny, 1000 serbian rifles, 55 000 Berdana 2, 13000 Krnka, and some other but dont remember what

Edited by Subotai - 29-Oct-2006 at 08:09
Isbul View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Isbul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 07:52
Not to become too dry this thread here is some pics:
Ottoman and Bulgarian officers at the dobrudja front 1916
Horse guard cav
Somewhere in Macedonia.No idea where perhaps it is not even there
1918 again no idea where that is

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 08:02
Originally posted by Subotai

Sorry for the long post but I keep that in a file and I cant remember from where I get it to post the link only.
Is from

Isbul View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Isbul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 08:10
Originally posted by akritas

Originally posted by Subotai

Sorry for the long post but I keep that in a file and I cant remember from where I get it to post the link only.
Is from

Thanks akritas! Thumbs Up
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 01:23
Originally posted by konstantinius

Yes. This is exactly how WW I was like: choreographed by fat, chubby guys to the accompaniment of sentimental music. Nice German helmets, by the way.

So what music will be better?Cannibal Corpse?
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 16:00
Helleno-Bulgarian relations became very bad since the 1890's when Bulgarian paramilitary forces attacked in Hellenic populations in modern day Hellenic Macedonia,in order to make them leave.Bulgaria was the first to attack Hellenic forces in the second Balkan War.After their defeat in 1913,Helleno-Bulgarian relations became even worse.So,after Bulgaria and the Ottoman Empire,both enemies of Hellas, entered the War in the side of the Central Imperial Block,it would be really stupid for the Hellenix State to enter in the same alliance with it's current enemies.Of course,the situation of the Hellenic involment in WWI is pretty complex.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 16:24
Was it signifficatnly better before 1890's? Cry
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 16:33
Well,Bulgarians were not attacking Hellenic populations before the 1890's,from what i can remember.
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 16:43
They were attacking Hellenic population and vice versa 1500 years before. Don't try to make Hellenic population as more "right" than bulgarian -- this will lead to nowhere. And definitely not help to support present more or less good relations, will it?
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 19:07
Originally posted by Spartakus

Helleno-Bulgarian relations became very bad since the 1890's when Bulgarian paramilitary forces attacked in Hellenic populations in modern day Hellenic Macedonia,in order to make them leave.

Bulgaria did not attack Greece first, Greece was the first to initiatate the excesseses against the Bulgarian Slavic peasantry in Makedonia.

The excesses of the Greek army began on July 4 with the first conflict at Kukush (Kilkish). A few days later the excesses of the Bulgarians at Doxato (July 13), Serres (July 11), and Demir-Hissar (July 7) were known and still further inflamed the anger of the Greeks. On July 12 King Constantine announced in a dispatch which reported the slaughter at Demir-Hissar that he "found himself obliged with profound regret to proceed to reprisals." A comparison of dates will show that the Greek "reprisals" had begun some days before the Bulgarian "provocation."

Here is a nice Greek poem from the time about the savage monsters that attacked Greece:

The sea of fire which boils in my breast
And calls for vengeance with the savage waves of my soul,
Will be quenched when the monsters of Sofia are still,
And thy life blood extinguishes my hate.

Sound friendly, doesn't it?

The Bulgarian liberation of Makedonia during WW1 was IMO a just act which allowed the rightful Slavic owners of this land, expelled by the Greek invaders during BWII, to return.

All this inforation, and more, is available in the Carnegie report from 1913 accessible at
http://knigite.abv.bg/en/carnegie/chapter2_3.html

Edited by bg_turk - 31-Oct-2006 at 19:12
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 19:29
BG_turk, I don't think there is a reason to dicuss who started first.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 02:28
It isn't just.It's historicall reality.Bulgarian expansionism leaded to an aggresive policy against the  Hellenic populatons in Hellenic Macedonia.During the Ottoman Rule,there were no hostilities between Hellens ,Slavs and Turks or other muslims.At least until the end of  the 19th century,when Balkan Nationalism/Patriotism,as well as the Hellenic one,started to emerge.The Hellenic State was economically too weak to wage a paramilitary campaign against the Bulgarian population in the are of modern day Helllenic Macedonia during the entire 19th century.Simple as that.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 04:42
Yes, you are more or less right. Especially, if we not keep into account constant opposing of Greek Church for creation independent Bulgarian church, to make bulgarian schools in churches in Bulgaria, some cases of burning of Bulgarian books in some bulgarian monasteries etc. This was some sort of friendly behaviour. I do not try to excuse bulgarian behaviour,I just want to show that except Nationalism/Petriotism bulgarians had many claims as well.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 07:45
I don't know much about the Balkan situation in WWI- the Bulgarians were fighting for the Allies or Axis?
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 07:47
Originally posted by Spartakus

Helleno-Bulgarian relations became very bad since the 1890's when Bulgarian paramilitary forces attacked in Hellenic populations in modern day Hellenic Macedonia,in order to make them leave.Bulgaria was the first to attack Hellenic forces in the second Balkan War.After their defeat in 1913,Helleno-Bulgarian relations became even worse.So,after Bulgaria and the Ottoman Empire,both enemies of Hellas, entered the War in the side of the Central Imperial Block,it would be really stupid for the Hellenix State to enter in the same alliance with it's current enemies.Of course,the situation of the Hellenic involment in WWI is pretty complex.

I dont know for me but you are very brainwashed person.I admit that bulgarian rebels(this is the right word) did some crimes agaisnt turrkish and greek population.But in comparison what greeks did to our population,oh man we cant talk for any comparison.For centuries greeks were the main menace for bulgarian culture and nationality.You think that we are a second hand people(not everybody of course,but most).But what about the rights of slavic bulgarian population which was much much more than hellenic in Macedonia.And to say that Bulgaria started second balkan war is absolutely ridiculous.Greece and Serbia had a secret pact agaisnt Bulgaria and provoked bulgarian forces many times.You just wanted a war to take territories that was rightfully our.And it appear that Serbia and Greece together were too weak to defeat Bulgaria.We all know that Bulgaria lost the war because of Romanian invasion.If Romania didnt enter the war greece and serbia would suffer a total crushing defeat.
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>