Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

how can we eliminate racism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how can we eliminate racism
    Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 22:02
Originally posted by Adalwolf

Janus, you have it correct. I do not see anything inherently better in intermarriage, not that people should not intermarry. 

Well, that's what I was saying too. LOL

I will note that when intermarriage is common, racism tends to decrease. However, just like in hiring people, casting for movies, accepting people into schools, etc. etc., you should not marry somebody for the reason that they are not your ethnic group, nor should you not marry them for the same reason. (I hope that was clear, that's a somewhat convoluted sentence.)
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 08:42

I agree with Timotheus. Think about it, isn't marrying a person because of their race sort of racist(not in a discriminating way, however)? Intermarriage can decrease racism, sure, but marrying someone for their race is like hiring somebody because of their race, it is not something that should be done. However, marrying a person of a different race because you just want to marry them is not a problem.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 08:50
hey we can all intermarry and look similar but humans need an "other" as a basic instinct and to belong in a group which means exclusivity.

So what was once a hairline becomes a canyon.

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 09:45
I don't know anybody who married somebody simply because they are of different race.

People shouldn't be criticized for marrying somebody of a different racial or social group.

Efforts to keep a community's bloodline from mixing can lead to health issues due to inbreeding.

Edited by Hellios - 18-Oct-2006 at 12:18
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 12:06
Efforts to keep a community's bloodline from mixing just lead to health issues due to inbreeding

You make it sound like everyone is brother an sister..
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 12:12
Firstly, education in schools which aims for integration, understanding and tolerance. Education from a young age is critically important

Sounds too Stalinesque to me.

Hitler: Germans are superior yada yada yada

teacher: We are all the same. Theres no differences, Only cultural.

Whats the difference? Children should not have their heads filled with sh*t at an early age, let them make their own minds up.

Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 15:38
helllo all, in theory, racism can be elimated through religion, for religion have such strong influence(dont call me naive),

Edited by Siege Tower - 18-Oct-2006 at 15:40
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 18:31
Originally posted by Siege Tower

helllo all, in theory, racism can be elimated through religion, for religion have such strong influence(dont call me naive),

Please, religion will not stop racism. If anything, religion can be used in support of racism(interpretation of Bible verses that condoned slavery helped the Southern slaveholders justify their actions).

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 21:43
Originally posted by Adalwolf

And why should people intermarry?

Because it is a lot of fun. Particularly the process of producing the new generations LOL
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 22:11
Originally posted by Timotheus

Well, that's what I was saying too. LOL

I will note that when intermarriage is common, racism tends to decrease. However, just like in hiring people, casting for movies, accepting people into schools, etc. etc., you should not marry somebody for the reason that they are not your ethnic group, nor should you not marry them for the same reason. (I hope that was clear, that's a somewhat convoluted sentence.)

One thing that can't be eliminated is the desire of any human being of getting the "most beautiful couple as possible". Now, if the most beautiful happens to belong to "other" group, it should not be an issue.

In Latin America intermarriage is widespread since five centuries ago, although we still aren't a uniform mixture and we have amazing regional differences between peoples. In short, we know a little bit about the topic.

In Latin America, nobody cares about who the neighbour marry. And people is careful to express racist concept simply because you don't know if the "white" boss you have in front has an "indian" mother or a "black" wife.

Intermarriage erase the divisions between people, and put different "races" right inside the group of friends and the family, and even inside a same individual.

The only way to stop racism is by not having a neighbourhood per race, and history per race, and a TV channel per race. And you'll notice racism has stopped because you can't tell the races appart: which is the result of long term intermarriage.

Now, colorism (the light is the better) and class differences can persist even in the most mixed societies, but the things happens one at the time, and erasing the racial barriers between groups is the first step, I guess

Pinguin

think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 23:46
The only way to stop racism is by not having a neighbourhood per race, and history per race, and a TV channel per race. And you'll notice racism has stopped because you can't tell the races appart: which is the result of long term intermarriage

There is never going to be one uniform race. Theres not enough interracials happening to create a uniform race..

Its like this..

If I Marry a Black women an my Children will come out Black.

My Brother marries an Oriental an his children will come out looking Eurasian yet looking more Oriental than White.

If My sister Marries an Arab her children will come out looking Arab/Whitish. yet looking more White than my other Brothers children..

So the races are still going to identifiable..

The only thing that will be erased are the European genes, do we need to dissovle ethnic/racial groups to try an end racism, is it even logical.

The only way to create one uniform race is through tinkering with DNA...Which they can do!!!!

Pingu, I am under the understanding that the ones of European decent in South America are the ones who are the upper echelon...
Yet your saying its not like that, so what is it???

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 00:04
I'm think actually race (and even more racism) has nothing to do with genetics, or looks. They are often used as carriers but are not the underlying problem and therefore not the solution.

Many Arabs from lebanon are indistinguisable from west europeans (--I think this may be due to the high number of left over crusaders) but are considered different 'races'. Similarly with turks and greeks. Its not becuase the are genetically different, its because they are 'others'.
The way to prevent racism is to minimise the fear of others, and ensure there is social pressure to conform to a accepting society.

Intermarraige is not a way to prevent racism, it's a sign that racism is not common in that society.

If I Marry a Black women an my Children will come out Black.

The children of mixed African/European parents look arab in my experience

My Brother marries an Oriental an his children will come out looking Eurasian yet looking more Oriental than White.

These guys look interesting, I don't really think there is a people who look like these guys. The friends I have with this background have european builds but east asian faces.

If My sister Marries an Arab her children will come out looking Arab/Whitish. yet looking more White than my other Brothers children..

Either they look Arab, or they can pass as both. ie, lebanese

So the races are still going to identifiable..

Not by appearance though, by looks alone I look like a native for quite a big chunk of the world.
People will distinguish by language, history but most importantly the place they live, or who they mix with.
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 00:19
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Originally posted by Siege Tower

Please, religion will not stop racism. If anything, religion can be used in support of racism(interpretation of Bible verses that condoned slavery helped the Southern slaveholders justify their actions).

Yet he has a point, somewhat...I know that people used the Bible or other religious books to support racism, but also there are others (myself included) who look to the Bible's teachings that there is no inherent difference between any people of mankind.

Which brings me to another point. Technically, there is only one race on earth, the human race. What we all are fussing about is ethnic groups LOL If a person of one ethnic group marries a person of another, you would get another human, Homo Sapiens. Another race would be a humanlike being with a different genetic makeup.

There are practically no differences in the color of the palms of your hands, or your blood...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 08:10
Originally posted by think

[Hitler: Germans are superior yada yada yada

teacher: We are all the same. Theres no differences, Only cultural.

Whats the difference?

The difference is that the teacher is right and Hitler is not.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 10:15
Originally posted by think

Firstly, education in schools which aims for integration, understanding
and tolerance. Education from a young age is critically important
Sounds too Stalinesque to me. Hitler: Germans are superior yada yada yadateacher: We are all the same. Theres no differences, Only cultural.Whats the difference? Children should not have their heads filled with sh*t at an early age, let them make their own minds up.

Sorry. Children are under the influence of their environment. And if they aren't stuffed with sh*t they would just crap themselves anyway.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 11:05

These guys look interesting, I don't really think there is a people who look like these guys. The friends I have with this background have european builds but east asian faces.

I once met a guy who had asian eyes but an european jawline and chin. He looked like an elf or something.... Dont know what his ancestry was, but it looked good to me...Wink

Edited by Aelfgifu - 19-Oct-2006 at 11:06

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 12:50

The difference is that the teacher is right and Hitler is not.

Still brainwashing dude. Even if they did start brainwashing kiddies by the time they reach highschool everything would have been forgotten an they will make up their own opinions..

So all in all its a pointless exercise Ouch

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 14:09
What would you suggest to teach children then? Nothing?
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 15:25
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

I once met a guy who had asian eyes but an european jawline and chin. He looked like an elf or something.... Dont know what his ancestry was, but it looked good to me...Wink

I have known some Finns to look like that, i am sure there will be others.

Edited by malizai_ - 19-Oct-2006 at 15:28
Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 16:29
my point is that religion can create this environment for the younger general, similar to the example of Teachers ang Hilter, but religions have strong influence, it is true that it usually triggers hatred towards certain race because of the strongin fluence, but at the same time, it could also eliminate by using it's strong influence
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>