Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thermopylae movie- "300"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thermopylae movie- "300"
    Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 18:17
SearchAndDestroy,

No such thing as Greece back then? I thought they recognized that they were all of the same stock and recognized the lands they were in? Wouldn't that say the region was Greece?
Thats a serious question because I have always thought, even though they were Nation states, they recognized the Region they all lived in.

There was no Greece (or Hellas) back then as a country, the way we see countries today. Ancient Greeks (i.e. ancient Hellenes) had their own city states (e.g. Athens, Sparta, Corinth, Thebes etc.). However, they did consider themselves as Hellenes/Greeks and their lands as Hellas/Greece. They did recognize that they were all of the same stock, as they were speaking the same language, worshiping the same gods, had common customs and habits and also considered themselves to have common blood (descent from Hellen, son of Deucalion, see later on my post). The best "proof" that they were aware of their "Greekness" were the Olympic Games, where only Greeks could participate.

lol, I just read up on Greek people, and I used wikipedia, so I don't know how much is true. But it seems Hellene, Greek, and Achaeans come from mythology. It sounds like the Greeks are supposed to be from southern Italy, is that how it would have arrived in the English language from Romans? I'm just making a stretch here, but if the Romans met the Southern Greeks/Hellenes first, and took that name to describe all those of the same culture, would that explain those in the Hellas being called Greeks? lol Sorry if it's confusing, it's confusing to me too. But if you know more on the subject then I do, then maybe you'll see what connection I'm making if any?Confused
Yes, you are making the right connection. OK let's start from the beginning. According to Greek mythology, Hellen was the patriarch/father of the Greeks. He was father of Aeolus, Xuthus and Dorus. The latter guys were the founders of the main Greek tribes. You mentioned the Achaeans f.e. Those guys did not come from mythology, they were a real Greek tribe Tongue. I see what you mean though; yes, in mythology, Achaeus was Hellen's grandson and founder of the Achaeans.
Here's a wiki link  in case you want to learn more about the genealogy of the Greeks. Click on the names there.
Now why do you call us Greeks instead of Hellenes? You pretty much guessed it. From wiki again:
"Greeks (Γραικοί) - In mythology, Graecus was the brother of Latinus and nephew to Hellen. It was the name of a Boeotian tribe that migrated to the Italian peninsula in the 8th century BC and probably through contact with natives there brought the term to represent all Hellenes, which then established itself in Italy and in the West in general."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greeks#Names_used_for_the_Greek_people

In the same fashion, middle-easterners call us Yunans (or sth similar) because they first came in contact with the Ionians, one of the main greek tribes.

Hope you're less confused now Smile
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 18:54
You cleared that up perfectly, thank you!Smile
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 21:00
Welcome S&D.

And sth else that I forgot to comment on before; about whether Leonidas said "for Greece" or "for your country". I can't know what exactly Leonidas was saying to his men, but it is very likely that he told them sth on the lines of "for Hellenes" (i.e. for Greeks) or "for the freedom of our people".
What Spartans did, they didn't do it only for Sparta, but for Greeks in general. The same goes for other Greeks as well. They all united and fought  the Persians together.
Don't forget that Sparta is quite far from Thermopylae. The Persians would have to sack the cities in Attika and Boeotia first, then fight the Greeks (mainly Peloponneseans) in the Isthmus of Corinth and finally enter Peloponnese and head for Sparta. So the Spartans could plan (together with their allies) to stop the Persians at the Isthmus of Corinth. Instead they decided to go all the way to Thermopylae and fight there. For Greece!
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 21:23
I saw the trailer today and was disgusted with the directors...They rather shot a "Lord of the Rings" rather than something historical.

They must have confused Thermopylae Pass with Helm's Deep

Edited by Kapikulu - 14-Mar-2007 at 21:27
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 22:05
Again, it was based on a comic book, not on history. The comic book itself used history for it's setting, and nothing else really.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 04:22
I saw this movie and it was ok though I didn't feel it was an epic movie by far. Entertaining I guess. My girlfriend liked more then me but probably because it was the most homo erotic fill I've ever seen. You can definitely take this film anyway you want and twist it into todays world. A  friend of mine actually said he thought it was Sparta=Iraq, and Persia=America in this movie haha. Anti-American Canadians are real funny sometimes.

I found the Spartans to be more of the barbarians in the movie. From the killing of the wounded to the stacking of the bodies in a wall it seemed never ending. By the ending of the movie it really irritated me that they kept talking about liberty and freedom yet at the beginning of the movie they were tossing baby's off a cliff if they weren't good enough to be a Spartan. Or sending their young ones out into the wilderness to survive or die type ordeal. Not much freedom there for the baby.

The Persians had a huge amount of symbolism in them. Xerxes was portraited at 8-9 ft tall and a giant. To me it indicated his power and the fact he controlled a large portion of the known world(so they say in the movie). He showed much more tolerance and compassion then the Spartans. A lot of the crazy monsters they had also were symbolism. The immortals were beastly which to me would be how an opponent would see them given there actual fame and success in the Persian armies. The monsters were a bit much for me but since it was based off a comic I dealt with it.

Another thing I wonder. I went with my girlfriend and she was crying at the end of the movie including a lot of other women in the theater. Anyone else experience this?

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 13:45
Iran protest against this movie, this becomes the best  and free commercial promotion.
leung
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 19:09
Man, an awesome movie. I went with my dad and a friend of mine, and I was definitely satified. I love Gerard Butler as a choice for Leonidas, I mean even though he was not Greek, his beard and his darker hair and eyes made him at least believable. The Scottish accent made him sound more warlike to. As for the racism part, it was based off of a comic book, and I found that the portrayal of the Immortals was just plain hilarious. A cheap rip-off of orcs if I do say so myself. I loved the guy with sword half-arms. Now that was sweet!

From a historical perspective, much of it was accurate. The first day was portrayed nearly 100% accurately. I only wish that they could have potrayed the rest of the battle without rhinos, elephants, orcs, (immortals), giants, and arms sword giants.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2007 at 19:26

I found the Spartans to be more of the barbarians in the movie. From the killing of the wounded to the stacking of the bodies in a wall it seemed never ending. By the ending of the movie it really irritated me that they kept talking about liberty and freedom yet at the beginning of the movie they were tossing baby's off a cliff if they weren't good enough to be a Spartan. Or sending their young ones out into the wilderness to survive or die type ordeal. Not much freedom there for the baby.

I think that this was one of the points of the comic book. Freedom doesn't always mean everyone has a choice, freedom in this context means free to do as they wish, without the permission of an overlord. Who cares if their society was more authoritarian than Persia proper. It was "their" society, and they weren't going to let anyone else control it. For example how Leonidas refuses to obey the Ephors demands.

And again to re-iterate.

Again, it was based on a comic book, not on history. The comic book itself used history for it's setting, and nothing else really.

It is a fantasy work based on a historical event. Like Harry Turtledove's Darkness series. Or even Braveheart, it takes a historical event and then sensationalizes it. Frank Miller kept the Battle of Thermopylae accurate when it suited the plot of the story, and inaccurate when it did not suit the plot. Overall, I enjoyed the symbolism of the movie.

And if you think I'm defending the spartocentric view you'd be wrong, all of my friends said we would have totally joined up with the "Persians" in the film. Of course we would for obvious reasons be bringing up the rear.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Ellin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Ellin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 03:30

Originally posted by tommy

a barabric city state who killed babies who were not strong enough

barbaric 'ey ??

If that's how you feel wonder what you think about those nations that NOT ONLY kill the weak.. or "not strong enough" babies (as you put it) BUT ALSO support the murder of perfectly strong and healthy babies as well ?  You're from Hong Kong yeah ??  does female infanticide ring a bell ??

"Grk ppl r anarchic & difficlt 2 tame.4 this reasn we must strike deep in2 thr lang,relgn,cult& hist resrvs, so that we cn neutrlz thr ability 2 develp,distinguish
themslvs/ 2 prevail"..up urs Kisngr
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 04:05
Oh I love this movie, I just watched it. It is so funny u know. it is almost the same with gladiator movie, becouse after each time u have more stronger and fancier enemy attackeng. Also those immortals, they looked like Ninjas rather than Persian immortals. I wondered why Spartans didnt wear a body armor?? Wasnt the budget enough?

I really thought it could have been more interesting if they just had an ak 47 becouse there was no any difference. They killed the enemy like ants.
History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 05:13

I really thought it could have been more interesting if they just had an ak 47 becouse there was no any difference.

Oh come on now, an AK would just be utterly unrealistic. Now a guy with blades for arms that's historically accurate....
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 06:01
Oh, I cannot wait to see it. Do you believe it is actually still not out yet over here? Sucks big time!

Originally posted by Gundamor

My girlfriend liked more then me but probably because it was the most homo erotic fill I've ever seen.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to that...Tongue A friend of mine was watching the little 'making of' movies on the internet, and there was one on the three months of heavy power training the actors had to do to get in shape. I'm telling you, she was drooling all over the keyboard...LOL

If a lot of girls were crying at the end, I probably will. I am such a baby for false sentiment, gets me everytime.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 06:17
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Oh, I cannot wait to see it. Do you believe it is actually still not out yet over here? Sucks big time!

Crazy isn't it...It's coming out April 4th or 5th over here. I intend to see it, as long as it is not R18+, because I will be rejected Cry
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 06:23

Oh, just paste on a fake goatee...Wink

I am lucky enough to live in a country where 16 is the max. restriction...
Not that I need it anymore... I'm old enough to get into anything by now...Confused

Edited by Aelfgifu - 22-Mar-2007 at 06:25

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 07:28
Originally posted by Kerimoglu

Oh I love this movie, I just watched it. It is so funny u know. it is almost the same with gladiator movie, becouse after each time u have more stronger and fancier enemy attackeng. Also those immortals, they looked like Ninjas rather than Persian immortals. I wondered why Spartans didnt wear a body armor?? Wasnt the budget enough?

I really thought it could have been more interesting if they just had an ak 47 becouse there was no any difference. They killed the enemy like ants.

they didn't were armor because that inly would slow them down.
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 09:00
Originally posted by xi_tujue

they didn't were armor because that inly would slow them down.

In the movie they didn't war armor because that would hide their hard-to earn- abdominal LOL

In real life, Hoplites always wore armor (either linen -in hot climates- or bronze) in battle, that's why they were heavy infantry. Still, often they were depicted as naked in vases or statues, the -so called- Heroic Nude.

Athenian%20Hoplite

Men wear their helmets and their breastplates for their own needs, but they carry shields for the men of the entire line.

--Plutarch, Moralia

Edited by Yiannis - 22-Mar-2007 at 09:01
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 22:48
 OK i watched the movie, here is my review and my sentiments. AngryAngryOuch Shocked

If i was Persian i would be deeply offended.
If i was a 'learned' Greek i would be acutely embarrassed.

It was a WTF movie, from beginning to end, and nothing more than a racist taunt. Someone is leeching Greek history. Pinch

Edited by malizai_ - 22-Mar-2007 at 22:48
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 23:06
Originally posted by malizai_

OK i watched the movie, here is my review and my sentiments. AngryAngryOuch Shocked

If i was Persian i would be deeply offended.
If i was a 'learned' Greek i would be acutely embarrassed.

It was a WTF movie, from beginning to end, and nothing more than a racist taunt. Someone is leeching Greek history. Pinch 

You said it well: "someone is leeching Greek history".

Fortunately, most Iranians are directing their frustration towards the movie's American director & producer, but some have misdirected it towards Greek values which were also wrongly portrayed in the movie.

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 00:15
30.000+ Persians, actually portrayed as Orcs, per a Spartan...Dead
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>