Print Page | Close Window

Thermopylae movie- "300"

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: All Empires Community
Forum Name: Historical Amusement
Forum Discription: For role playing and alternative history discussions.
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15395
Printed Date: 28-Apr-2024 at 13:07
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Thermopylae movie- "300"
Posted By: Sarmata
Subject: Thermopylae movie- "300"
Date Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 13:14
This trailer looks pretty damn sweet.
http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/2006/0-9ABC/300/trailer.php%5dhttp://www.themoviebox.net/movies/2006/0-9ABC/300/trailer.php - http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/2006/0-9ABC/300/trailer.php]http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/2006/0-9ABC/300/trailer.php

Replies:
Posted By: Sarmata
Date Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 13:16
http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/2006/0-9ABC/300/trailer.php - http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/2006/0-9ABC/300/trailer.php

Posted By: Heraclius
Date Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 13:54
 Easily the craziest looking movie i've seen in a long time, however its just about crazy enough to work.

-------------
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.

Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 16:07
OMG, that is just a total corruption of history. Almost as a rule you need to sacrifice historical realism to achieve entertainment value, so this film should be very entertaining if nothing else.

And for Christ's sake, a rhinoceros?!?!?!

-------------

Posted By: Heraclius
Date Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 16:58
Originally posted by Constantine XI

OMG, that is just a total corruption of history. Almost as a rule you need to sacrifice historical realism to achieve entertainment value, so this film should be very entertaining if nothing else.

And for Christ's sake, a rhinoceros?!?!?!

I think there's some merit to that, it isnt trying to be a truly accurate protrayal, it just seems to be an intensely action-packed bloodfest, which is cool with me, it's the movies that pass themselves off as being all fact when they are anything but that bug me.

Looks absolutely mental, which should absorb a boring lazy Sunday afternoon sometime soon LOL

-------------
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.

Posted By: kilroy
Date Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 20:30

Isn't this based on Frank Millers comic?  I haven't seen that yet, but this looks pretty nice.  I don't care if its butchering history, as long as they have a killer rhino in it. 

-------------
Kilroy was here.

Posted By: think
Date Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 22:26
That looks awesome...

But alot of the times movies do an they fall short, but i have a good feeling about this..

Apparently they want to make a Kratos:lord of war movie aswell..

Posted By: Turkali
Date Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 03:19
that's just bull sh*t.

Posted By: Achilles
Date Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 20:40
would you mind elaborating that statement Turkali?

-------------
Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,
Der Dritte erst hat Brot.

Fur immer frei und ungeteilt
-always free and undivided-

Posted By: BigL
Date Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 23:49
Looks like a Fresh new start for historical movies, should increase the popularity of them and theyll make more.Smile

Looks like a mix between Sin city and troy,cant wait!

Posted By: Leonidas
Date Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 05:55
i tend to get disapointed with such movies, so i will go but my expectaions will be kept down.

-------------

Posted By: alexISS
Date Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 07:21
I don't consider "300" a historical film, more like an adaptation of a comic series loosely based on a historic event.
And I think it will be great.

-------------
"Military justice is to justice what military music is to music" Groucho

Posted By: Dampier
Date Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 16:29
Historically nonsense but damn thats brilliant. The editing is beautiful.

-------------

Posted By: vulkan02
Date Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 18:28
Originally posted by BigL

Looks like a Fresh new start for historical movies, should increase the popularity of them and theyll make more.Smile

Looks like a mix between Sin city and troy,cant wait!

You took it out of my mouth!... Sin City comes close to it, a movie that I didn't particularly enjoy but it was interesting nonetheless.

-------------
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao

Posted By: Ponce de Leon
Date Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 18:58
I just watched Sin CIty last weekend for the first time, and that was the first time I fell in Love with Frank Miller's work. Now I am seeing a period of history which to me is extremely fascinating..plus Frank Miller's artistic style and vision come into play too! This will be f**king awsome!

-------------

Posted By: rider
Date Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 08:39
Yeah, I saw the trailer on tv here the day before yesterday and it was pretty amazing. I do like the part where a man says:

"You are in Sparta!" and pushes another down a long long shaft (or well)... if it is the same trailer.

And killer rhinoceroses, fine with me until I don't have to face one.

-------------

Posted By: Penelope
Date Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 10:23
If its the one where Xerxes looks like a "punkrocker", it will be garbage.

Posted By: Emperor Barbarossa
Date Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 10:59
Originally posted by Penelope

If its the one where Xerxes looks like a "punkrocker", it will be garbage.

Yes, this is the same movie.

-------------

Posted By: Cyrus Shahmiri
Date Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 11:35
Ugh!

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 12:41
For all we know he did look like that.

-------------

Posted By: leif erikson
Date Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 14:34
this is entertaining bullsh*t some regiseurs ar such mad men

I saw last such a sick movie and I thought where it is going with the movie world

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 17:41
Originally posted by Sparten

Did you see the picture? There is a very high doubt that the man ever looked like a pierced rock star no hair or facial hair whatsoever.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 19:28
hey the directors looked at what the critics talk about the movies that did make an "effort" on being historically accurate. THey probably said screw that and are trying to make something that was historically awsome, yet be fun for them to make and fun for the audience at the same time. ANd that I think is awsome! because movies arent for historical accuracy..THEY ARE FOR ENTERTAINMENT!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 20:53
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

hey the directors looked at what the critics talk about the movies that did make an "effort" on being historically accurate. THey probably said screw that and are trying to make something that was historically awsome, yet be fun for them to make and fun for the audience at the same time. ANd that I think is awsome! because movies arent for historical accuracy..THEY ARE FOR ENTERTAINMENT!!!!

This movie is an exception since it is based off a comic. However, I have a problem when movies come out and inaccurately portray one side in a war(such as Mel Gibson protraying the British in The Patriot as being overly zealous to kill civilians, though it is well documented that Francis Marion killed many loyalist civilians). I think that every movie that wants to be inaccurate should have a large banner saying something like "VERY LOOSELY BASED OFF OF ACTUAL HISTORY"(or for this movie "BASED OFF OF THE COMIC STRIP _____").

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 22:19
Originally posted by Sparten

Actually, we do know what Xerxes looked like.

Posted By: Degredado
Date Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 08:21
I just hope that they don't do what Miller did: depict naked men. Yech!

-------------
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas

Posted By: Aelfgifu
Date Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 08:38
I just hope that they don't do what Miller did: depict naked men. Yech!

What's wrong with naked men?

That movie is gonna be such a laugh. I can't wait!

-------------

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.

Posted By: Spartakus
Date Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 08:48
Spartans were never depicted as they historically deserve.

-------------
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)

Date Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 15:49
I made a thread about this in Ae Tavern. Damn I thought I would suprise you guys.. damnit I was wrong

Posted By: Omnipotence
Date Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 19:25
When it comes to being historically entertaining and historically accurate, movie-producers will be forced by public opinion to choose the former.

Posted By: JanusRook
Date Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 21:53
I made a thread about this in Ae Tavern. Damn I thought I would suprise you guys.. damnit I was wrong

And damnit I posted in that thread, I thought I was getting a jump on everyone too.

Anyway direct copy paste from my comments there:

Oh my God, I saw this trailer when I went to see the departed and wow, this movie looks amazing. Kind of like Titus Andronicus but you know, easier to understand. And kind of like What Dreams may Come but you know bloody and violent instead of heartfelt and sappy. And kind of like Sin City but you know not crap.

Also, you gotta love the quote:

PERSIAN: "Our arrows will blot out the sky."
GREEK: "Then we'll fight in the shade."

-------------
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.

Posted By: alexISS
Date Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 05:22
Originally posted by JanusRook

Also, you gotta love the quote:

PERSIAN: "Our arrows will blot out the sky."
GREEK: "Then we'll fight in the shade."

That Greek was Dienekes, I think that was the only true historical quote in the trailer

-------------
"Military justice is to justice what military music is to music" Groucho

Posted By: xi_tujue
Date Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 10:24
It might be bs but it's some pretty awsome bs

I'm just pissed that I need to wait untill march to see it

Date Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 15:58
Well what about this one

Persian:This is Madness!

Spartan: Madness?? THIS IS SPARTAAA!

*Kicks the guy in an endless pit*

:D

Posted By: Knights
Date Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 05:37
Originally posted by DevilItachi

Well what about this one

Persian:This is Madness!

Spartan: Madness?? THIS IS SPARTAAA!

*Kicks the guy in an endless pit*

:D

lol DevilItachi, that's a good bit in the trailer. As for my synopsis on the movie, looks fantastic in terms of special effects and action-packedness, however the historicity of 300 does not strike me as being, well, 100% accurate *coughRHINOcough*. But still, i plan to see it when it comes out for the fun of watching Spartans do some ownage! Cool

'SPARTANS: tonight we dine, IN HELL'

Posted By: Krum
Date Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 16:07
The trailer was wonderful and i hope that the movie will be good too.I am worried only about graphics efects that can make the movies more fantasy than reality.

-------------
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato

Posted By: Aster Thrax Eupator
Date Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 12:49
I think that movies based on history are fine, as long as they follow some kind of historical accuracy. You can't market a film as "based on a real story" (which most people will interpret to be real) and then screw up the history- it's not fair to do that.

-------------

Posted By: Ildico
Date Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 16:56
The guy who plays King Leonidas, Gerard Butler, was in the HBO miniseries of Attila in 2001, and that movie was as historically entertaining as some of you said about 300. Despite that, his performance was amazing, so it's great that he'll be in 300.

Don't let the historical mistakes drag it down. There will be good parts, as far as I've seen so far: Great acting, war and bloodshed, steamy love scenes, and, oh yes, a giant rhino!!!

March is too far away......

-------------
Beauty is in the eye of that guy behind the spontaneous diversions, set aside for a good explorer, telling a story about the world.

Posted By: Achilles
Date Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 21:20
Butler is an awesome actor. He played Beowulf in Beowulf and Grendel, and the Phantom in Phantom of the Opera as well.

-------------
Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,
Der Dritte erst hat Brot.

Fur immer frei und ungeteilt
-always free and undivided-

Posted By: Ildico
Date Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 22:45
Originally posted by Achilles

Butler is an awesome actor. He played Beowulf in Beowulf and Grendel, and the Phantom in Phantom of the Opera as well.

Oh yes, I love those movies as well. He always seems to transform into the character and not just play it.

Also, he played Terry Sheridan in the sequel to Tomb Raider. That movie, IMO, was very bad, except for Butler.

Anyways, getting back to 300....

Does anyone have a picture of Xerxes? I have no idea what he really looks like.

-------------
Beauty is in the eye of that guy behind the spontaneous diversions, set aside for a good explorer, telling a story about the world.

Date Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 05:23
The image “http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4d/Xerxes.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

^This is a presumably accurate recreation of the face of Xerxes. I must say it is quite in contrast to that of the face of Xerxes in the movie(See below)LOL

http://www.icicom.up.pt/blog/take2/santoro_xerxes.jpg

-------------

Posted By: Perseas
Date Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 05:58

Originally posted by Knights

The image “http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4d/Xerxes.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

^This is a presumably accurate recreation of the face of Xerxes. I must say it is quite in contrast to that of the face of Xerxes in the movie(See below)LOL

Keep in mind the movie is based off in Frank Miller's graphic novel '300', so Xerxes had to look like in the illustrations of the graphic novel.

-------------
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.

Date Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 06:14
Yes indeed I am keeping that in mind, I was merely responding to a request by Ildico. 

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 20:32
Xerxes looks way better without the beard.

-------------

Posted By: Penda
Date Posted: 22-Dec-2006 at 12:33
Gerard Butler is a good actor,i dont fear his acting skills ,its the script i fear,`Troy` anyone??
Like was said earlier they arent going to be presented as the Spartans really were(Millitaristic and pro-Homosexual).
A really great story no doubt,but this is Hollywood,The next version of the `charge of the light brigade` will be done in Lamborghini`s

Posted By: John the Kern
Date Posted: 23-Dec-2006 at 13:29
No doubt if they did a charge of the light bridge they all die very heroically and the last soldier would crawl up and hit the cannon with his sabre and be stabbed by a heartless russki, lol

-------------
My peoples tale is written in blood

Posted By: malizai_
Date Posted: 23-Dec-2006 at 16:19
Xerxes looks more like an African than a Persian. Absolute bull but i am sure will be entertaining. The racists will love it though.LOL

-------------

Posted By: think
Date Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 04:22
Originally posted by malizai_

Xerxes looks more like an African than a Persian. Absolute bull but i am sure will be entertaining. The racists will love it though.LOL

Yep ive heard Perisans on the net winging that no one actually depicts Persians as Persians hahahahahaha. Iran is RICH im sure if they want they could make a kickass movie.

I guess i can understand. It would be like an African guy playing William Wallace or napolean or someone of that calibre, its just not cricket.

Posted By: Penda
Date Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 10:30
Who are the Orcish looking people/monsters supposed to be on the trailer?
Dont tell me just because its Greek there going to add Ray Harryhausen type monsters ala Jason and the Argonauts????

Posted By: King John
Date Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 18:06
Looks like it could be pretty good. I don't know if it is worth paying $9-10 though. I'll probably go see it but it will not be as good as the original "300 Spartans" was, although that wasn't based on a comic book and (unfortunately) had not killer rhinos.

Posted By: Hellios
Date Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 19:33
300 is based on a comic book series, like Blade was.  Even the script follows the comic book:

Some people are confusing it for a history film. LOL

Date Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 01:52

This is a presumably accurate recreation of the face of Xerxes.
I must say it is quite in contrast to that of the face of Xerxes in the movie.

LOL LOL  Agreed.

Date Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 01:55
Lol yeh I don't mind either, and if that's how he is depicted in the comic by Frank Miller it should remain like that. The movie will definatly be more historically entertaining than historically accurate. But then again, it is an adaptation from a comic so you can't rearrange the whole storyline. Which one do you think Xerxes looks better in?

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 11:49

Which one do you think Xerxes looks better in?

Like the ancient carvings of him.

Posted By: xi_tujue
Date Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 12:53
yeah the original looks way more manly and wise

the other looks a bit faggy to me

but hey what do I know

-------------
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage

Date Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 09:20
It's to be released on the 4th of April 2007 here in Australia..and a new (I think) trailer has been released, featuring new movie footage including enormous elephants as well as the rhinos!

http://63.250.192.94/b02r01/004/yahoomovies/10/30879610.mov?StreamID=30879610
or
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=116033565

Probably available on YouTube as well

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 16:07
Despite the total historical inaccuracy,it must have a lot of action,as the trailer shows.

-------------
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)

Posted By: TheGame
Date Posted: 04-Jan-2007 at 12:45
i have read a source that says there wre 3000 spartens.

the source was CAIS (Circle for Ancient Iranian Studies), which is made up of many different historians. You can read about the site here: http://www.cais-soas.com/CAIS/about_cais.htm

Date Posted: 04-Jan-2007 at 16:05
3.000 Spartans?Dude,your source is bs.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Jan-2007 at 16:47

All sources about this battle are from Greeks, it was not so important to be mentioned by Persians, 300 or 3,000, they were all killed and nothing was changed, Xerxes burnt Athen and came back successfully.

Date Posted: 04-Jan-2007 at 16:51
Originally posted by Spartakus

How do you know? I dont think you should be calling CAIS "bs". Its a pretty reliable source when it comes to ancient Iranian studies.

Date Posted: 04-Jan-2007 at 19:14
Originally posted by TheGame

i have read a source that says there wre 3000 spartens.

Most sources mention 300 Spartans + a few thousand other (allied) Greeks.

Date Posted: 04-Jan-2007 at 20:47
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

All sources about this battle are from Greeks,

That's true - most historical records of that battle were written by Greeks.
There are also non-Greek sources, based on other evidence.

it was not so important to be mentioned by Persians, 300 or 3,000, they were all killed and nothing was changed, Xerxes burnt Athen and came back successfully.

Yes, with Thermopylae a Persian victory, Athens suffered.  The Persians marched freely though the bloody pass onto the capital.  Luckily, the city had been evacuated (another indication of the size of the Persian army) & the small defense force that was left behind quickly eliminated & Athens burned.

What makes Thermopylae important for some?

Maybe it's a good example of a numerically inferior force causing disproportionate losses to the enemy, through skill, tactics, courage, & strategic use of terrain.  Archaeological studies based on evidence found at the site support this.

Maybe Thermopylae is an inspiration to the "fighters" in life; an example of inherent courage & determination to fight to the death against extreme odds, or merely an example of ultimate courage & sacrifice for one’s country & beliefs.

Finally, Xerxes didn't return "successfully" - his attempted conquest of Greece was a failure & if he was a front line fighter like the Greek leaders he wouldn't have escaped to make it back. Wink 

Posted By: malizai_
Date Posted: 04-Jan-2007 at 21:15
Originally posted by Hellios

What makes Thermopylae important for some?

Maybe it's a good example of a numerically inferior force causing disproportionate losses to the enemy, through skill, tactics, courage, & strategic use of terrain.  Archaeological studies based on evidence found at the site support this.

Maybe Thermopylae is an inspiration to the "fighters" in life; an example of inherent courage & determination to fight to the death against extreme odds, or merely an example of ultimate courage & sacrifice for one’s country & beliefs.

Indeed, a bit like the charge of the light brigade. It is a celebration of valor.

Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.
"Forward, the Light Brigade!
"Charge for the guns!" he said:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

"Forward, the Light Brigade!"
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Someone had blunder'd:
Their's not to make reply,
Their's not to reason why,
Their's but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
Rode the six hundred.

Flash'd all their sabres bare,
Flash'd as they turn'd in air,
Sabring the gunners there,
Charging an army, while
All the world wonder'd:
Plunged in the battery-smoke
Right thro' the line they broke;
Cossack and Russian
Reel'd from the sabre stroke
Shatter'd and sunder'd.
Then they rode back, but not
Not the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon behind them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
While horse and hero fell,
They that had fought so well
Came thro' the jaws of Death
Back from the mouth of Hell,
All that was left of them,
Left of six hundred.

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All the world wondered.
Honor the charge they made,
Honor the Light Brigade,
Noble six hundred.

http://poetry.eserver.org/light-brigade.html - http://poetry.eserver.org/light-brigade.html

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Jan-2007 at 01:43
Why didnt Xerxes just hold Athens and the rest of Greece that he conquered.

He was too ambitious I guess.

Date Posted: 05-Jan-2007 at 02:36

Holding those areas would've been difficult without also destroying the Greek armies & navies, so that's what they (Darius & Xerxes) tried to do; after the invasions & occupations of the Greek city-states in (what's now) western Turkey, Darius & then Xerxes attempted several times to conquer the rest of Greece but defeats at the battles of Marathon, Salamis, Platea, & other battles eventually drove the Persians back to their previous borders, & then a counter-attack was agreed between the Greek states & successfully carried out by Alexander.

Date Posted: 05-Jan-2007 at 02:49
You can call this silly suicide of some Spartans anything you like, the fact is that Xerxes conquered Greece very easily, apparently Greeks rebelled some years later and took back part of their land but the "Peace of Antalcidas" (one century later) shows that Greek still considered the Persian king of kings as their leader.

Posted By: Miller
Date Posted: 05-Jan-2007 at 05:19

In the US where I live many African-American (aka blacks) are starting to try to take ownership of Egypt history. Egypt is technically in a small corner of NorthWestern Africa and blacks need to show heritage. We the generic European Americans (aka Whites) have a similar relationship to Greece. Technically Greece is SouthEastern corner of what is now called Europe and white folks need to show their heritage goes a little further back than a few centuries. Luckily Chinese have their own history otherwise they would have grabbed Mesopotamia and Persia since they are in Asia.

If you draw a  a small circle on the map centered in Mesopotamia the entire ancient western civilization would fall within that circle most of that is going to be in what is now called west Asia with small portions in what is now called Africa and Europe. It is not a coincidence they are all next to each other. The geographical distinction between Asia, Africa and Europe did exist at the ancient time.

The movie is going to have some (well maybe a lot of bias) because today Greece is considered to "western" add to that today’s political climate and it would be natural that each time that AhmediNejad calls for destruction of Israel Xerxes gets one step closer to the Zulu chief. If has nothing to do with history

Date Posted: 05-Jan-2007 at 05:26

You can call this silly suicide of some Spartans anything you like,

Yes, there are indications that it was a suicide mission to stall for time while remaining Athenians & Athenian items of value & knowledge were transferred temporarily.  The main indicator (in my opinion) is that the Spartans chose 'sire' hoplites for that mission (troops who had already fathered children).

the fact is that Xerxes conquered Greece very easily, apparently Greeks rebelled some years later and took back part of their land but the "Peace of Antalcidas" (one century later) shows that Greek still considered the Persian king of kings as their leader.

He conquered the Greek city-states of Ionia & some Thracians, in Greece he won some battles but was progressively driven back through a series of defeats (not "rebellions") & this is why very few (if any) maps of the Persian Empire include Greece proper, only lands belonging to ancient Thracians.

In regards to ancient Greeks seeing Persians as their "kings of kings" & "leaders", well, you can look at it that way also.

Date Posted: 05-Jan-2007 at 07:24

You can call this silly suicide of some Spartans anything you like, the fact is that Xerxes conquered Greece very easily, apparently Greeks rebelled some years later and took back part of their land but the "Peace of Antalcidas" (one century later) shows that Greek still considered the Persian king of kings as their leader.
well it may be considered 'silly' but even on the level of propaganda others are are making movies about their valour today...

...as for conquering greece territorially, if you cant take the pelloponesus you havent conquered the country as simple as that. Burning athens while the population are safe behind the victory of salamis isnt much to brag about either. Xerxes could never conquer greece without conquering the greeks mind first; for every greek that became a vassal to persian overlordship there were others more deterimed to fight them and face death.

Funnily enough persian money from afar was much more effective than their swords up close.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Jan-2007 at 12:50

Holding those areas would've been difficult without also destroying the Greek armies & navies, so that's what they (Darius & Xerxes) tried to do; after the invasions & occupations of the Greek city-states in (what's now) western Turkey, Darius & then Xerxes attempted several times to conquer the rest of Greece but defeats at the battles of Marathon, Salamis, Platea, & other battles eventually drove the Persians back to their previous borders, & then a counter-attack was agreed between the Greek states & successfully carried out by Alexander.

Well, the Greeks armies were only able to win when the circumstances were in their favor, correct?

So if Xerxes held back his navy, and just held the territory he conquered and just played defensive, there was no way the Greeks could retake the territory.  Just as they could not take Ionia back until the Achaemenid's were in severe decline.

Would this analysis be correct?

Date Posted: 05-Jan-2007 at 16:10

How do you know? I dont think you should be calling CAIS "bs". Its a pretty reliable source when it comes to ancient Iranian studies.

When it comes to Iranian studies probably,but they make a mess when it comes to Ancient Hellenic studies.And simply confirms,that very few know sth about  Sparta.First of all,Spartans would not send 3.000 (!) troops in a suicidal battle.Spartans were among the most carefull military forces.They were going to battle only if there were strong evidence of victory or ,at least,minor defeat.Moreover,Spartan warriors were too few to  send such a large force,for the Ancient Hellenic warfare,so away from home,because they would simply risk a possible uprising of the helots.

Really,it's very easy to talk about Sparta when you know sh*t about it.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Jan-2007 at 17:04
For all you know I have a minor in Greek studies.

Also, CAIS is a very very reliable source. Your criticism does not even dent its reliability.

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 01:02
Hi TheGame. Smile

Well, the Greeks armies were only able to win when the circumstances were in their favor, correct?

Greek forces were usually outnumbered, so they relied on better tactics, training, weapons, etc. on land & at sea.

So if Xerxes held back his navy, and just held the territory he conquered and just played defensive, there was no way the Greeks could retake the territory.

Holding those areas would've been hell without also destroying the Greek armies & navies, so that's what they tried to do; at places like Marathon, Salamis, Platea, & other battles that led to the failures of the attempts to conquer Greece.

Just as they could not take Ionia back until the Achaemenid's were in severe decline. 

Ionia wasn't liberated until Alexander's counter-offensive with his numerically inferior army.

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 03:42

So if Xerxes held back his navy, and just held the territory he conquered and just played defensive, there was no way the Greeks could retake the territory.  Just as they could not take Ionia back until the Achaemenid's were in severe decline.

Would this analysis be correct?
it is correct, on the level of - if, could and should. The Greeks fought when the situation was right or at least favorable while the Persians didn't, big difference in military acumen. Choosing the place and time of battle gives one a major leg up.

-------------

Posted By: konstantinius
Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 07:18
The misudersdtanding is that CAIS might be mentioning 3,000 Greek forces total, not 3,000 Spartan "omoioi". This would be impossible considering that at its peak the Spartan state could be field approximately 4-6,000 hoplites perhaps augmented with helotes. To send half that force to a suicidal mission that had only the tactical purpose to buy time is of generalship below Spartan standards. 

-------------
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 07:33
I would just like to state that i feel that Xerxes the "great", really made some mistakes. He could have easily conquered all of Greece, if he wouldve just used his brain.

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 08:35
Originally posted by konstantinius

The misudersdtanding is that CAIS might be mentioning 3,000 Greek forces total, not 3,000 Spartan "omoioi". This would be impossible considering that at its peak the Spartan state could be field approximately 4-6,000 hoplites perhaps augmented with helotes. To send half that force to a suicidal mission that had only the tactical purpose to buy time is of generalship below Spartan standards. 

The greatest force Spartans ever managed to gather is the 7.000-8.000 men during the Peloponnesian War in the battle of Mantineia (418 B.C.) and that because the battle was a few kilometres outside of Sparta,with the survival of the Spartan State being at risk.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 11:44
All these 300 persons did was waste the great king's time, of course Athenians had enough time to flee whether those Spartans were killed or not.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 12:56
The few thousand Greeks at Thermopylae accomplished their mission of showing Xerxes that a hoplite fighting for mainland Greece was worth several 'immortals' & their performance boosted moral among the numerically inferior Greek forces who drove back the Persians through a series of battles such as Marathon, Platea, Salamis, etc...

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 13:52

Hi TheGame. Smile

Greek forces were usually outnumbered, so they relied on better tactics, training, weapons, etc. on land & at sea.

Yes, exactly. The Greece had to lure the Persians to places where they knew they had a much better chance of winning than the Persians did.

Therefore, sieging and retaking athens would not have been an option for the Greeks, because they were outnumbered.

So if Xerxes held back his navy, and just held the territory he conquered and just played defensive, there was no way the Greeks could retake the territory.

Holding those areas would've been hell without also destroying the Greek armies & navies, so that's what they tried to do; at places like Marathon, Salamis, Platea, & other battles that led to the failures of the attempts to conquer Greece.

No, thats what I'm saying, if the Persians did not fall for the Greek traps, and held the territory they kept, that would have been a much better plan.
Like I said, Xerxes was probably overly ambitious.

Just as they could not take Ionia back until the Achaemenid's were in severe decline. 

Ionia wasn't liberated until Alexander's counter-offensive with his numerically inferior army.

Yes exactly, by that time the Achaemenids were already in decline. Darius III was not a good general or ruler.

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 15:03

The Greece had to lure the Persians to places where they knew they had a much better chance of winning than the Persians did. Therefore, sieging and retaking athens would not have been an option for the Greeks, because they were outnumbered. So if Xerxes held back his navy, and just held the territory he conquered and just played defensive, there was no way the Greeks could retake the territory. No, thats what I'm saying, if the Persians did not fall for the Greek traps, and held the territory they kept, that would have been a much better plan.

Trying to holding Athens would've been hell for him if he didn't destroy the Greek armies & navies operating in the nearby areas, so that's what he tried to do.

Yes exactly, by that time the Achaemenids were already in decline.

In decline or not they still outnumbered Alexander's smaller army.

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 15:22

The Greece had to lure the Persians to places where they knew they had a much better chance of winning than the Persians did. Therefore, sieging and retaking athens would not have been an option for the Greeks, because they were outnumbered. So if Xerxes held back his navy, and just held the territory he conquered and just played defensive, there was no way the Greeks could retake the territory. No, thats what I'm saying, if the Persians did not fall for the Greek traps, and held the territory they kept, that would have been a much better plan.

Trying to holding Athens would've been hell for him if he didn't destroy the Greek armies & navies operating in the nearby areas, so that's what he tried to do.

Well, if the Persians made the Greeks come to them, then they most likely would have won, correct?

Yes exactly, by that time the Achaemenids were already in decline.

In decline or not they still outnumbered Alexander's smaller army.

Yes, no one is denying that. Alexander was an amazing general.

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 16:27

Well, if the Persians made the Greeks come to them, then they most likely would have won, correct?

Numerically superior forces are rarely defeated that way.

Posted By: Istor the Macedonian
Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 16:29
To know Greekness better, please see the movie and then read the poem of Kavafis:

http://www.kavafis.gr/poems/content.asp?id=150&cat=1
http://www.ancientworlds.net/aw/Post/462076

(Happy New Year !!) 

-------------
Istor
Macedonian, therefore Greek!

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 17:14
Originally posted by Istor the Macedonian

To know Greekness better, please see the movie and then read the poem of Kavafis:

http://www.kavafis.gr/poems/content.asp?id=150&cat=1 - http://www.kavafis.gr/poems/content.asp?id=150&cat=1
http://www.ancientworlds.net/aw/Post/462076 - http://www.ancientworlds.net/aw/Post/462076  

Those are poems & the film 300 is based on a comic book so forget that too.

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 17:16
The quality and the equipment of Ancient Hellen hoplites was superior than that of the average Persian warrior.The Immortals can be considered almost equal to hoplites,but their equipment ,according to Persian  frescos,was inferior.

-------------

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 17:28
I saw a trailer for the movie, and you know what? I am looking foward to seeing it. Looks awesome, I really dig the gothic fantasy style.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 17:32
It is good only for the action.But it must have a hell of an action.Like Middle Earth style.Did you see the elephants!!!!!!!Stern Smile

-------------

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 17:40
Were they not Rhinos? they were huge.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 17:55
They were probably oliphants!LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 18:48
Yes, the Greek hoplites had superior weaponry, the most important of which was the lances. The Persians also had lances but they were much shorter and therefore, were not a danger to the Greeks.

Numerically superior forces are rarely defeated that way.

Yes, exactly, thats what I'm saying. Therefore, I think that if the Persians had just held on to the ground they conquered instead of going out and looking for a fight, they would have had a better chance of keeping the areas they conquered.

-------------
Join the:

http://www.freepowerboards.com/iranianforum/ - Iranian History Forum

Everyone is welcome.

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 19:13

They were probably oliphants!LOL

Lol! Yeh there is a new trailer out which depict giant [mutant] elephants as well as the killer rhinos! Tis very cool indeed and a bit different to the original trailer.
Here's another link for a fairly good quality clip:http://63.250.192.94/b02r01/004/yahoomovies/10/30879610.mov?StreamID=30879610.

If not, you can find others on the '300' myspace or on youtube I'd imagine. Oh and the 300 site!
Big smile

Date Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 03:52
Damn. 300 is coming out April 3rd or 4th in Australia, after such long anticipation. But, it is R 18+, restricted to 18 year olds and over...for 'high level of battle violence'. Unhappy. If anyone sees it, let me know what it's like please...Embarrassed

-------------

Posted By: Adalwolf
Date Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 13:50
The previews look absolutely awesome. Oh and Knights, just buy a ticket to another movie and then go see it! That's why I did until I was 18! Just make sure to sit kinda close to some older looking people, so you look like your with a group!

-------------
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey

Date Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 14:08
Well I suppose I could do that...only thing is that I can't find if under 18's are allowed in WITH an adult. If so, then I can probably go...but if not, damn! 

-------------

Posted By: Adalwolf
Date Posted: 08-Mar-2007 at 02:37
Oh man, just one more day!!!! I can't wait!!!! AAAAHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what am I to do?@?! 

-------------
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey

Posted By: Xshayathiya
Date Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 16:17
I saw it yesterday. I have no problem with the movie itself, (although I did think the dramatics and theatrics were a tad over the top), but I will start having a problem with it when people take history lessons from it. Overall not a bad movie, just a bit over the top.

-------------
"I like rice. Rice is great if you are hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg

Posted By: Dari
Date Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 19:45
Appearently the Greeks found this movie to be racist and distasteful of the depications of Persians.

Greek critic Dimitris Danikas criticized the movie for showing Persians as "bloodthirsty, underdeveloped zombies," and went on to say, "They are stroking [sic] racist instincts in Europe and America." Robby Eksiel, at the daily Ethnos cited "pompous interpretations and one-dimensional characters.

-------------

Dari is a pimp master

Posted By: Xshayathiya
Date Posted: 11-Mar-2007 at 00:49
They did demonize Persians (literally!) quite a bit. Also, the peoples portraying Persians were anything but Persians. There were lots of Africans, a couple mongolians and the guy playing Xerxes is a Brazillian with Egyptian makeup and umm.....heavy metal piercings.

I'm sure the greeks didn't like Leonidas calling Athenians "Boy Lovers" either LOL

-------------
"I like rice. Rice is great if you are hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com