Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Shroud of Gllavenica

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Shroud of Gllavenica
    Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 14:42
I'll answer to you in english so the rest here understand what are we talking about my albanian file.
The links that you posted me doen't say anything for his surname's meaning and Kastriotis deep origins.I don't claim that he was Greek(look at my previous posts,I only refer to his surname origins).
Kastri and Kastro(you know greek so you know what am i saying) are the greek version of the latin castellum,(as in english became castle),and it is used in greek from roman times.As a greek-speaker you know that the man who is from a place named Kastri or Kastro is called Kastriotis.
I know that there is a Kastrati tribe but I don't know what its name means in albanian and what's its relation with Kastriotis.
I should note that during byzantine times Greeks held the most official chairs in the Empire,while,I think you'll agree Albanians stayed in the mountains(almost all the words about fishing,sea in albanian have non-albanian origins).
So the problem we have to solve is why an Albanian is named by a greek surname(not christian greek)(not only Kastriotis but Arianitis too).
A theory that I can think which explain this problem is that these families had Greek noble origins from families sent there(from a Kastro area lets say) by Constantinoupolis authorities . (I repeat I put that on the table to discuss it).Also another clue to discuss is that he sometimes referred to himself as Epirote.
Jamarber from those you wrote in your second paragraph you gained my respect. I respect only the Albanians who are proud(but not nationalists-propagandists) for their country and blood and don't try to claim Greekness saying that they are North Epirotes,or even Italians.
I suppose you know the word filotimo(i can't translate it,there isn't such meaning in other languages), and Greeks respect you when you don't hit  our filotimo by being ungratefull for what Greece offered to Albanians from 90' and of course when you respect greek history.
Of course you are Albanian and you must remain Albanian.

Edited by Patrinos - 01-Nov-2006 at 14:45
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 16:33
Originally posted by Patrinos

Kastri and Kastro(you know greek so you know what am i saying) are the greek version of the latin castellum,(as in english became castle),and it is used in greek from roman times.As a greek-speaker you know that the man who is from a place named Kastri or Kastro is called Kastriotis.
I know that there is a Kastrati tribe but I don't know what its name means in albanian and what's its relation with Kastriotis.
I should note that during byzantine times Greeks held the most official chairs in the Empire,while,I think you'll agree Albanians stayed in the mountains(almost all the words about fishing,sea in albanian have non-albanian origins).
So the problem we have to solve is why an Albanian is named by a greek surname(not christian greek)(not only Kastriotis but Arianitis too).
A theory that I can think which explain this problem is that these families had Greek noble origins from families sent there(from a Kastro area lets say) by Constantinoupolis authorities . (I repeat I put that on the table to discuss it).Also another clue to discuss is that he sometimes referred to himself as Epirote.

There's a lot of places called Kastrat in Albania, and even southwestern Kosovo I think to (being right next to Albania it's natural that there'd be some spill off).  All the sources of the time say he was from northern Albania and never say anything of a Greek origin.  Trust me, if he had some Byzantine lineage, he would have flaunted it big time.  I would accept your theory more if he came from south Albania, because the Byzantines always had more control over that area than central or northern Albania, and could have a big effect on the blood of the nobility.  But no sources at that the time say that he came anywhere other than north Albania, and make no mention of a non-Albanian origin.

And tht he referred to himself as an Epirote contradicts your claims more than anything.  The very first Albanian dictionary, published by a Catholic priest in the 17th century (Frang Bardhi, I think) was called Dictionarium latino-epiroticum.  Albania was very often called Epirus in the early modern era (if you want I can post some reports by Albanian Catholic priests from this time that use Epirus and Albania interchangeably).
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 19:14
Patrinos
You are a newcomer in this forum, and apparently you didnt read much from our previous discussions. It is true, the names Kastrioti and Arianiti could be purely greek, if they were Kastriotis and Arianitis. But they could be evem latin, and by the way, they are in this very moment albanian surnames, still in use.

There are some things that you dont know apparently

1- The Greek language and the Albanian language are not that alien to each other, so you cannot say that a word is greek if it is not albanian or viceversa. There are some similarities in the linguistic aspect. In albanian we also use the suffix -Iot, -It (probably of greek origin) as well as the latin -An, or the turkish -Li

2- The name doesnt show anything, Karamanlis is not turkish apparently. In albania many guys have turkish surnames, even though they are not turkish. The turkish and greek names come from the early empires which ruled albania.

3- Kaster and Ari have meanings also in albanian.

This is disputable. During byzanthine times there were also some emperors who never mastered greek, coming from illyrian or thracian backgrounds. It is true that the latin, and later the greek were official and culture languages, spoken by all the administrators, but this doesnt necessarily show their ethnic background. And regarding the myth of the albanians having no words for the sea, or coast, the wery word, sea, in albanian is DET not borrowed from any other language. It is true, there are many latin words, but there is also a pure albanian nautical vocabulary.

As I told you, many albanians have turkish names, and also greek or latin. This is also connected to their religion. You should know that every empire, the byzanthine and later the ottoman, never allowed the albanian language to be cultivated, so many people, included some orthodoxes with greek-like surnames, had to die for teaching albanian to their children.

Albanians in many times were referred as epirotes during the history, because the very term epirote is not an ethnic, but a geographical term. And just for your info, there were plenty of castros in albania.
Prej heshtjes...!
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2006 at 09:37
First I'm here to do a serious discussion with arguments,and I'm glad you didn't reacted as I excepted...

Arber Z
It is true, the names Kastrioti and Arianiti could be purely greek, if they were Kastriotis and Arianitis. But they could be evem latin, and by the way, they are in this very moment albanian surnames, still in use.
It isn't the final "s" that make a word greek.But the rest suffix -otis,-atis,-itis and of course the word Kastro or Kastri which is the greek version for castellum.The latin form would be Castellanum or something,because  -otis is used only in Greek.
I found that in albanian castle is kala(i suppose from tur. kale) and kshtjell which is obviously an albanian version of latin castellum.

I don't think that there are many similarities between our language,just such as it has with armenian or italian because of the IE family),and I'm impressedShocked from your believe that we cannot distinguish a greek from an albanian word.(I exclude the loan words).

(What Kaster means in albanian?)

This is disputable. During byzanthine times there were also some emperors who never mastered greek
Only Justinian is recorded to don't speak greek well but espesially after Heraclius the emperors were or Greek or Greek-speakers.

And regarding the myth of the albanians having no words for the sea, or coast, the wery word, sea, in albanian is DET not borrowed from any other language. It is true, there are many latin words, but there is also a pure albanian nautical vocabulary.
What I mean is that Albanians  were mainly mountainers,don't you agree?

As I told you, many albanians have turkish names, and also greek or latin. This is also connected to their religion
Greeks too. But the turkish surnames we have are derived from turkish words we use.We understand that Karamanlis means the one from Karaman,we use(rare) that turkish suffix -li. Albanians don't understand what Kastriotis and Arianitis mean.
We don't speak about his name Georgios which is greek but it is and christian and international.We speak about his surname which has nothing to do with christian byzantine names.

Albanians in many times were referred as epirotes during the history, because the very term epirote is not an ethnic, but a geographical term.
It depends on the time we are speaking.In ancient times Epirote was an ethnic greek group but I agree that in byzantine times could be  used sometimes geographically because Epirus theme and Despotate wasn't only Epirus but and Albania and Aetoloacarnania.
One more clue is that Kastriotis once stated when he steped Italy that he did it as his ancestor Pyrrus(the Molossian,I believe you believe in the undouptable Greekness of Molossoi and Pyrrus).

Also I want you to comment that:
* IN * PE * RA * TO * RE * BT *, which means: Jhezus Nazarenus * Principi Emathie * Regi Albaniae * Terrori Osmanorum * Regi Epirotarum * Benedictat Te (http://www.answers.com/topic/arms-of-skanderbeg)

It's from Kastriotis helmet and reffers to Principi Emathie and I suppose you know the Greek region Emathia.

And this is the seal of Kastriotis,writen in Greek and says:
 Alexander (Skender) is an Emperor and a King. Emperor of the Romaic nation (Greeks) and King of the Turks, the Albanians, the Serbs and the Bulgarians.

I can see the position Greeks are...

there were plenty of castros in albania.
Yes there are many castles in Albania...but not castros but kshtjells or kala....Wink

Edited by Patrinos - 02-Nov-2006 at 09:50
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2006 at 10:16
tired of answering to the same questions again and again...

But just to make you glad I didnt react (sic!!!) I am going to reply to some of your questions.

-Iot, -At, -It are used also in albanian, probably deriving from the greek suffixes.

Emathia is not the macedonian Emathia, but is the today region of Mati in Northern Albania. Its is there that Gjergj Kastrioti reigned. And the name is purely albanian E Mathia, in standard albanian E Madhia means The Great or The Big (It is a valley).

Gjergj (George) Kastrioti (Castriota) was albanian, and spoke albanian. In fact the first albanian phrase (writen) was the baptism formula of the archbishop of Durres (Durazzo, Dyrrachium). His name was Pal Engjelli, in latin Paulus Angelus. He was also one of the ministers of Scanderbeg. Marin Barleci (Marinus Barletius) one of the contemporane historians wrote more on Scanderbeg's life. Gjergj Kastrioti was the son of the albanian nobleman Gjon (John, not Yiannis). They were albanian gheg catholics, not orthodoxes. Read the Istoria de Vitae et Gestis of Marin Barletius and you will learn more.

Just to make a frank question, it comes natural after your question, did you ever read a history on Scanderbeg's life???
Prej heshtjes...!
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2006 at 10:28
 something else, most of the albanian nobility together with the Castrioti family, after the turkish occupation fleed in Italy. Their descendants still live in southern italy and in Sicily, preserving their language, and their names. The names are very similar to the greeks, that is because of byzanthine influence in early times, but they speek albanian, and never spoke greek.

Prej heshtjes...!
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2006 at 10:57
My friend,from my first posts I cleared that I'm not trying to claim Kastriotis as a Greek.I've made some questions on the issue but I still haven't got a convincing answer.

By the fact he wrote his letters and seal in greek language and alphabet shows that he knew greek too.

Its seems weird to me  that"Emathia" from his seal not to be connected with the greek region Emathia and  connected with Mat.I see that this is your "official" view on that issue.

Musachi in his memoirs claim that his family original surname was Molossachi and derived from his Molossian ancestry : http://www.albanianhistory.net/texts/AH11.html

Also I think that Kastriotis would feel betrayed by Albanians(majority) after their history during the Ottomans' domain,those who Kastriotis fought with pation and bravery...

You didn't comment the seal..

Edited by Patrinos - 02-Nov-2006 at 11:24
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 08:29
My friend,from my first posts I cleared that I'm not trying to claim Kastriotis as a Greek.I've made some questions on the issue but I still haven't got a convincing answer.

Ok, this sounds reasonable

By the fact he wrote his letters and seal in greek language and alphabet shows that he knew greek too.
His seals were in latin and greek, and his scribes and ministers wrote the documents in both languages. Both the languages were considered noble diplomatic and culture languages, and I believe they still are. You didnt expect him to write in english, did you? From the historic data we know that Scanderbeg knew Greek, Latin and Ottoman, as he was a well educated nobleman of his times.

Its seems weird to me  that"Emathia" from his seal not to be connected with the greek region Emathia and  connected with Mat.I see that this is your "official" view on that issue.
I dont know any greek Emathia, I know that there was an ancient Macedonian region with this name. Anyway, Scanderbeg was the prince of Mat, and geographically he never held any domains somewhere near the ancient macedonian Emathia. And from the catholic church documents we know about the albanian Emathia Valley, todays Mat Valley.

Musachi in his memoirs claim that his family original surname was Molossachi and derived from his Molossian ancestry : http://www.albanianhistory.net/texts/AH11.html
That is perfectly true they claimed this, their family still has descendants alive, living in Italy, and some even in albania. And they also referred to themselves as albanians (as well as epirotans) even in mediaeval times.
Of course that you have to understand, the medieval noble families were linked to eachother by many marriages, for example the mother of Gjergj Kastrioti, Vojsava, was slavic, while the Mussachi had different links with greek-byzanthine, and also frankish noble families. But they refferred to themselves as albanians, the same way as the Queen of England refferres to Herself as English, or the Savoias feel Italian, or Juan Carlos feels Spanish.

Also I think that Kastriotis would feel betrayed by Albanians(majority) after their history during the Ottomans' domain,those who Kastriotis fought with pation and bravery...
Why would they. The albanians always rebelled to the ottoman empire, and fought eagerly. Of course that with the passing of the years they had to enter the system, but still many albanians fought the ottomans until the indipendence. You have to know that greek, or slavic was allowed to be teached in schools, while albanian never was allowed, because it was considered an evil language of rebel people.

You didn't comment the seal..

Well its a beautiful medieval seal, I have seen it so many times, original and copies. What do you want me to comment?
Prej heshtjes...!
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 12:14
I dont know any greek Emathia, I know that there was an ancient Macedonian region with this name. Anyway, Scanderbeg was the prince of Mat, and geographically he never held any domains somewhere near the ancient macedonian Emathia. And from the catholic church documents we know about the albanian Emathia Valley, todays Mat Valley.
You don't know any Greek Emathia??You must be joking...Was it slavomacedonian??
I'm suprised how easily you make Emathia Mat. I know that its the only way to explain that and  some "ethnic" opinions  are law for you...
Which are these documents reffering to an Emathia?(and isn't your theory about that toponyme something like  E madhe)?
Don't you find more logical when it writes Emathia it means the Emathia and not Mat?

That is perfectly true they claimed this, their family still has descendants alive, living in Italy, and some even in albania. And they also referred to themselves as albanians (as well as epirotans) even in mediaeval times.
And that's what I believe,that these families (Kastriotis,Arianitis,Mousachis) had deep Greek-byzantine noble origins positioned in Albania to rule as sebastocratores parts of the country.And of course by the ages and through intermarriages with local tribelords' families identificated as Albanians like the Kings you mentioned.
To have such greek surnames (no christian greek nor byzantine titles like duka) which show a geographic origin from a greek placename and with a greek suffix seems weird to a simple tribelord to have it.
 Arianitis surname is present in Thessalonica from 1002 carried by David Arianitis  who was placed commander of the city by Basilius the Second who was also in the right wing of Basilios' army in the battle of Pelagonia in 1017.Also in a record of a census (silligiodes gramma) of the high ranked states official and census-taker and domestikos of themes Konstantinos Makrinos compiled in 1338, during the census of plows of Komanitzes,of Makrochorion and Paradeisos,which are located in the valley below Veroia, we read that these are bordering with Arianitis holdings,and also there is reference in a Arianitis village.
The fact that Arianitis surname isn't frequent families with the name Arianitis must be connected in someway.

You have to know that greek, or slavic was allowed to be teached in schools, while albanian never was allowed, because it was considered an evil language of rebel people.
Another albanian myth.Weren't Arnauts(muslim) regarded as Turks by the Osmanlis?? There were a lot of Albanians in high positions of the Empire,who oppressed you?You rebelled against the Turks when they didn't pay you,as it happened in 1770 in Peloponnesus.
What do you want to say that Greeks had better relations with Turks than Albanians?? Today's relations between the three countries show who was the ally with whom.

Well its a beautiful medieval seal, I have seen it so many times, original and copies. What do you want me to comment?
Look above the photo what is written on his seal and which is the position of the Greeks and which that of Albanians...
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 00:08
ook above the photo what is written on his seal and which is the position of the Greeks and which that of Albanians.

It was commissioned a while back after Scanderbeg's death(probably after Marinus Barletius, since hs tarted the myth to begin with). The Scanderbeg was never a king so surely he could not hope to be an emperor. Like Musachi later, Scanderbeg's descendents wanted to maintain some kind of claim on the balkans incase something should arise.

Probably the seal was commissioned of the family of Scanderbeg some time in the 16th century. You cannot know exactly. Even, it is not to say whether the seal is a fake (from the 15th or 16th century).

Being married to Donica, Scanderbeg could claim some distant relation to the Byzantine dynasty of the Comnenos as Donica's grandmother was herself a dystant member of that family(hence the surname Komneni in the Arrianiti family later on, as the family neared it's death). However considering the fact that there still existed candidates for the throne deep into Scanderbeg's revolt.

Source

As for Emathia, you only have to read Pjeter Budi's description to see where it actually lies:

Towards the border of Macedonia and Bulgaria, there is another region of peoples which is called the Scanderbeg Country, i.e. Ematia (Mat), Benda (Bena), Corbini (Kurbin), Tamadea and Cermenica (ermenika) situated in the mountains above Kruja and Elbasani (Elbasan...

Source

Now what do you think is more likely? That the Kastrioti gained control of Kruja from a region abreast to it, or from one in a completely different province?

Edited by Theodore Felix - 05-Nov-2006 at 00:43
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 10:51
You don't know any Greek Emathia??You must be joking...Was it slavomacedonian??

Yes dude, I do not know any greek Emathia. It was ancient macedonian, not slavomacedonian, and the relation between old macedonians and greeks is still obscure. When the science will agree on that, than I ll be happy to accept your hypothesis.

I'm suprised how easily you make Emathia Mat. I know that its the only way to explain that and  some "ethnic" opinions  are law for you...

Patrino, it is not my fault if you dont know anything about the developing of the albanian language (as it never interested to you). Emathia is the greek pronunciation, but its inhabitants might have call it otherwise. This is proven by hundred of cases in Persia and Egypt, do you believe that Cyrus name was really Cyrus???
Emathia can become Mat same as Lissus can become Lezhe, Dyrrachium - Durres, Scutari - Shkodra, Aulona - Vlora, Scupi - Shkupi, Naissus - Nish, Ragusa - Rush etc.

Which are these documents reffering to an Emathia?(and isn't your theory about that toponyme something like  E madhe)?
Don't you find more logical when it writes Emathia it means the Emathia and not Mat?

Fortunately, the albanian catholic priests of the Mat Valley in the XV century wrote a lot of books in albanian and in latin, and referred to the region as Emathia. Search for Frang Bardhi, Pjeter Bogdani, Gjon Buzuku etc, read their opera, and than come with your arguments regarding a region that you still dont know.

And that's what I believe,that these families Kastriotis,Arianitis,Mousachis) had deep Greek-byzantine noble origins positioned in Albania to rule as sebastocratores parts of the country.

Why Greek byzanthines and not Albanian byzanthines or romanian byzanthines, or vlach byzanthines or anatolian byzanthines or armenian byzanthines or slavian byzanthines. Or is it a registered trade mark???

And of course by the ages and through intermarriages with local tribelords' families identificated as Albanians like the Kings you mentioned.
To have such greek surnames (no christian greek nor byzantine titles like duka) which show a geographic origin from a greek placename and with a greek suffix seems weird to a simple tribelord to have it.

Can you exlain me why many albanians would be called Mehmet, or Sami etc? Does that mean that they are turks? No my friend, but the turks influenced our culture, same as the byzanthines (who used greek as an offical language)

Arianitis surname is present in Thessalonica from 1002 carried by David Arianitis  who was placed commander of the city by Basilius the Second who was also in the right wing of Basilios' army in the battle of Pelagonia in 1017.Also in a record of a census (silligiodes gramma) of the high ranked states official and census-taker and domestikos of themes Konstantinos Makrinos compiled in 1338, during the census of plows of Komanitzes,of Makrochorion and Paradeisos,which are located in the valley below Veroia, we read that these are bordering with Arianitis holdings,and also there is reference in a Arianitis village.

Thessalonica has never been a homogeneous city, there always lived greeks, albanians, slavians and vallachians, not to mention jews etc.

The fact that Arianitis surname isn't frequent families with the name Arianitis must be connected in someway.
Now this is very naive

Another albanian myth.Weren't Arnauts(muslim) regarded as Turks by the Osmanlis??

Yes the albanian muslims were always regarded as turks, while the cristians as greeks, and nobody allowed them to learn their language. Thats why they had to fight and die for it

There were a lot of Albanians in high positions of the Empire,who oppressed you?You rebelled against the Turks when they didn't pay you,as it happened in 1770 in Peloponnesus.

You dont know nothing about albanian rebellions. And there were also greek, serbian, bulgarian, armenian or italian officers in the empire, the only problem was that the greeks consideed themselves romaioi, they didnt know what they were.

What do you want to say that Greeks had better relations with Turks than Albanians?? Today's relations between the three countries show who was the ally with whom.

A master of geopolitics and history, arent you???

Look above the photo what is written on his seal and which is the position of the Greeks and which that of Albanians...
I dont see no greeks, but Romaioi, which means cristian orthodox byzanthines, or cristian orthodox romans. And Scanderbeg never was an emperor, and never called himself a king, he was just a prince.

Prej heshtjes...!
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 13:29
Yes dude, I do not know any greek Emathia
My alvane friend leave that *** for albforumi and scopian propagandistic forum...

Patrino, it is not my fault if you dont know anything about the developing of the albanian language (as it never interested to you).
First If you want to speak good greek it isn't Patrino it is Patrinos and Patrine when you adress to me...
Why should I'm interested in albanian??Its an undeveloped language.

Emathia can become Mat same as Lissus can become Lezhe
Note that we are talking about an era not away from us,and the "Emathia" to become "Mat" takes lot of time....

Why Greek byzanthines and not Albanian byzanthines or romanian byzanthines, or vlach byzanthines or anatolian byzanthines or armenian byzanthines or slavian byzanthines. Or is it a registered trade mark???
Greek byzantines because they have greek surnames which show origin of a greek place added with a greek suffix.

Can you exlain me why many albanians would be called Mehmet, or Sami etc? Does that mean that they are turks? No my friend, but the turks influenced our culture, same as the byzanthines (who used greek as an offical language)
Again... I haven't said about his greek but christian name Georgios but for their  surnames  which I can't accept that they were given to some mountainers, isolated,with no much byzantine control tribesmen of the north high mountains of Albania....

Thessalonica has never been a homogeneous city, there always lived greeks, albanians, slavians and vallachians, not to mention jews etc.
What a nice classic albanian argument...
In 1000 Thessalonica was a greek-inhabited city.
Albanians haven't appeared in history yet. Slavians??? Do you think that the emperor would place a slav/bulgar in Thessalonica??? How would he get in Saint Demetrius church???(I suppose you know what I mean,about Saint Demetrius and Slavs....).Vlachs who mentioned that period were nomadic sheepherds away fro Thessalonica. And Jews came much later(end of 15th century) invited by the Turks.

Now this is very naive
There aren't many Aria placenames.....

Yes the albanian muslims were always regarded as turks
At last an arnaout who admits itClap

while the cristians as greeks
Again Papagiannis?????LOL

and nobody allowed them to learn their language

Who didn't allow to you???
 Choose:
  • Mustafa Pasha Bajrakatari
  • Ahmet Pasha Dukagjini
  • Kara Ahmet Pasha Dukagjini
  • Ibrahim Pasha Parga
  • Ahmet Izet Pasha
  • Ajvas-zade Halil Pasha
  • Amzhazade Hysein Pasha
  • Arnavuat (Semiz) Ahmet Pasha
  • Bajazit Pasha
  • Bijikli Ali Pasha
  • Damad Ferid Pasha
  • Davud Pasha
  • etc
Or Ali Tepelenli???Smile

hats why they had to fight and die for it
And why did you fight us???? Many para,e?????

he only problem was that the greeks consideed themselves romaioi, they didnt know what they were.
I consider my self Romaio/Romio, don't I know what I am????
Where have you read that????

I dont see no greeks, but Romaioi, which means cristian orthodox byzanthines, or cristian orthodox romans.
Thats what you understand? it says Albanians,Bulgarians and Romaioi. Who are not albanians or bulgarians leave in this area and identify as Romaioi???Of course Greeks....Clap

And Scanderbeg never was an emperor, and never called himself a king, he was just a prince.
What ever you don't like is fake???????

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 13:49
Why should I'm interested in albanian??Its an undeveloped language.

This is the value of this language. Is genuine, not modified. Anyway, you should not have such a disregard for non-Greek thinks as long as the Greek culture is not the creation of only one people but of several hellenized people, including Albanians.

Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 16:25
Menumorut you don't have anything to do and make a tour to greek-related threads and post bs???
Let me and Arber to have a disagreement in the issues we are talking about.
Can you explain your thesis about hellenisation of different people with arguments(if you know this word). And of course the scale of hellenasation.
In another thread you wrote that we are slavs who hellenised and gained dark hair,skin and eyes,do you still believe it???LOLDid the hellenisation process included solarium,hair painting and brown contact lens.
Note that from the ancient times there was a percentage of "light" Greeks but as today a small one.

General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 18:08
What ever you don't like is fake???????

It seems whatever you don't like you ignore. I showed you the very source, yet you have not made a single comment. The same for Mat. You have the earlier account of Annonimous description of Europe describing Emathia as the mat in Albania, and Pjeter Budi, who was a native of that region. Calling it Scanderbeg's Country/County.

On top of it all, we have explained how -Iot and -It suffix are both common in the Albanian language, just like the Turkish -luk.
What it seems to me is that you overplay your arguement while at the sametime ignore that of others, you put more significance on what you say then on what others say, dimissing it without even properly bringing evidence against it, worse then all, you simply deny it...
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 09:05
It seems whatever you don't like you ignore
The toponyms in your sourse are clearly latinised:the Ersenta (Erzen), the Mathia (Mat), the Scumpino (Shkumbin) and the Epasa (Osum) to fit into the latin writing and rules.
Can you give me some examples of -iot suffixes except the Greek-related(suliot,himariot etc) ones in albanian espesially in the north ,I mean real not from your grammatical imagination...
Give some clues about the byzantine-greek influence of the north albanian tribes,is there such influence to change the structure of the language(in this occasion the suffix of the surname)????
You've said that he could be from a toponym Kastrat(which has no meaning in albanian,as you know castle in albanian is kala or kshtjell). But why haven't he called Kastratioti?????,isn't the "Kastri-o" version more logical????
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 13:44
Note that from the ancient times there was a percentage of "light" Greeks but as today a small one.

These are pure dreams. Where did disapeared all the peoples who invaded Balkans and Minor Asia, or the originary populations of Minor Asia?

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 14:43
Take your pick. Close the topic or let it stay open?

I'll let it stay open under the condition that I don't have to visit here again in order to remind you all of the Codes of Conduct.

Edited by Seko - 07-Nov-2006 at 14:43
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 16:00
    Personally, you can close it Seko. The topic was just about the archeological finding, not the ethnicity of historical figures.
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 19:25

Somebody who dares to label a language as undeveloped, and always expresses racist views on every nation, like the Patrino does, is a shame for himself, and for his country (I would say even for the Balkans).

Anyway, cum principia negante non est disputandum! The honourable AE member doesnt have a clue on history rather than nationalistic propaganda, and I consider him ignorant therefore.

Seko, I do not believe that closing the topic is the propper measure for some who have a long CV full of offences and non-relevant posts, offending others with megalomanic egocentrism (just to use some greek words). This kind of members should be banned, as they are a barrier on free, cultivated discussions. Anyway, it is not on me to decide.

Prej heshtjes...!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>