Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLord Saladin : Kurdish or Cuman ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lord Saladin : Kurdish or Cuman ?
    Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 10:45
Do you guys even have a impartial author/historian that claims that he was Turkish?

I have not.
They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 16:23
Originally posted by Urungu Han

He was clearly Turkic,His uncle was a Turkic chief anmed Nureddin Mahmud Zengi.

Saladin was a Kurd of a Kurdish dynasty. He did not really come from a distinguished background, but his uncle Shirkuh served as a general under the Turkic Nur ad-Din, son of the infamous Zengi and thus a  member of what we term the Zengid dynasty, a dynasty that rose to prominence from their positions as atabegs of Mosul and Aleppo. Shirkuh and Saladin however, were from what we term the Ayyubid dynasty, a Kurdish dynasty that gained power through their role as commanders of Kurdish heavy cavalry under Turkic generals like the Zengids.

Let me explain how it transpired. Egypt, at this time ruled by the Fatimids, was hard pressed by the Kingdom of Jerusalem. During the reign of king Baldwin III the Fatimid Caliph had agreed to pay the king of Jerusalem tribute, but all of a sudden this tribute was no longer forthcoming, and the present king, Amalric I, invaded Egypt. The Fatimids appealed to Nur ad-din for help, at this time the most powerful potentate in the middle east. Nur ad-Din sent his Kurdish general Shirkuh to take care of the matter, which he did, forcing Amalric I to retreat while at the same time securing full control of Egypt for Nur ad-Din. Saladin, Shirkuh's nephew, was the man chosen to act as Vizier for the newly acquired province on Nur ad-Din's behalf. Saladin wasn't as loyal as his uncle however, and once he had Egypt in his power he saw no reason to just hand it over to Nur Ad-Din. Nur ad-Din saw this as a declaration of war of course, preparing to invade Egypt personally and oust Saladin, but before he could do anything about it he was seized by a severe fever and died. Saladin then, sitting safely as the new ruler of Egypt, soon managed to marry Nur ad-Din's widow. Now he emerged as the new leader of Islam, fulfilling Nur ad-Din's vision of Syria and Egypt in an united muslim front against the crusader states, but led by a Kurdish dynasty, the Ayyubids.
Urungu Han View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 07:22
Don't forget ayyubid army were Kipchak Turks gained from the steppes,they called Mameluke(Klemen).After Ayyubids,they built an empire.
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 11:33
ayyubid dyntasy is kurdish? this is not true.all dynasties in that era were Turkic.Kuman or Oghuz Turks.Mameluks were Turkic.you dont deny this right?
 Saladin was also a Mameluk !!!
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 15:37
Salidin is without a doubt...AUstralian. His cheif advisors wer all kangaroos!
Fizzil View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 16:41
Man you guys need some real hard evidence and sources to backup the claim he was turk.
Most reputable sources already say hes Kurdish, from Tekrit. Also if hes really a turk, why are all the current Al Ayubi family all kurds? Wink
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 16:50
Originally posted by Batu

ayyubid dyntasy is kurdish? this is not true.all dynasties in that era were Turkic.Kuman or Oghuz Turks.Mameluks were Turkic.you dont deny this right? Saladin was also a Mameluk !!!

*Shakes his head in disbelief* What books are you reading? I hope the answer is none, otherwise you've wasted a lot of time. All dynasties in that time, in the middle east, were not Turkic. Some were but there were many other Persian and Arab dynasties as well. The Mamluks were partly Turkic, yes, and partly Circassian, Saladin however was never a Mamluk or any other type of slave.

Originally posted by Urungu Han

Don't forget ayyubid army were Kipchak Turks gained from the steppes,they called Mameluke(Klemen).After Ayyubids,they built an empire.

The Mamluk force consisted of many Turks, yes, but also Circassians. Please don't intentionally ignore the accomplishments of other peoples to elevate your own, like Batu also does, that's small-minded. In any case it has nothing to do with the ethnic origin of the Ayyubids (who, as should be clear by now, were Kurds), as their Mamluk army was a later development from the time after they had risen to power. In addition to this they were slaves, not exactly members of the dynasty.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 17:36
Don't waste your time arguing with these people.  Records in Arabic state exactly the origins of the ayyubids.  Certain groups make up any myth to deny all things Kurdish in history due to their extremist views against them, part and parcel of seeking to deny their prominence on the land which they have always inhabited.

Edited by Zagros - 10-Sep-2006 at 17:39
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 17:53

Most reputable sources write Sal-ah-uddin was a Kurd. However, Batu is also correct in stating most the warriors and successors were Turks.

A later wife of Sal-ah-uddin's successor was a Turk, who after his death took command of the armies and became Sultan of Egypt. Its a great period for woman's history and rulers. Read the source to understand the situation properly regarding Sal-ah-uddin and the armies.

Shagrat al-Durr

Sultan of Eqypt

http://www.womeninworldhistory.com/heroine1.html

Edited by Bulldog - 10-Sep-2006 at 17:54
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 01:00
Just like Skanderbeg, eh? Nobody can agree, everyone cites yards of figures to "proove" that their hero was 100% of their own extraction.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 08:10
That Saladin was Kurdish is not disputed in academic circles, there is no reason to doubt it at all, but when you go to these internet history forums then you hear all sorts of misled theories and I just do my duty as a historian, so to speak, and undermine them.
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2007 at 21:40

I am tired of hearing claims without any evidence and reliable sources. In every source I saw about Saladin, he has been clearly mentioned Kurdish.

Anfører
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2007 at 00:37
Kurds dont have a history, so how can Saladin be Kurdish...Dead
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2007 at 00:47
He wasn't an American? Next you guys will tell me he wasn't even Christian...

-Akolouthos

Addendum: LOL
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2007 at 01:38
As far as I know, all the sources that I have come across, and books, mention him to be a Kurd, and Kurdish is his heritage, I do not see how he was a Turk, nor does it matter. His achievments stand the test of time no matter what he is.
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2007 at 01:55
yeah, He was an African American. Didn't you know that ?

Marlon Wayans declared himself as Saladin descendant.LOL

Edited by sirius99 - 08-Mar-2007 at 01:57
Anfører
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2007 at 08:13
Originally posted by erkut

I think we cant find out his nation. Becouse in that age nation was not important, the important thing was religion. So we cant say he is Kurd or Turk or Arab or Persian, we could only say that he was a muslim.

Exactly, nationality is a quite new thing actually.Especially in the islamic world..Ideas like he was %100 Kurdish are nonsense...as if there was a genetic science source 1000 years ago...Dead
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

the_oz View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2007 at 11:10
i dont know if he was a turk or a kurd but i know that he would be nothing without turkish soldiers.

Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2007 at 17:07
Saladin was a genetic mixture as all human beings are.

'Muslim' would be a more appropriate label for him, but he had an undeniable Kurdish heritage.

By the way, this thread is not related with military history.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2007 at 17:27
Originally posted by Batu

ayyubid dyntasy is kurdish? this is not true.all dynasties in that era were Turkic.Kuman or Oghuz Turks.Mameluks were Turkic.you dont deny this right?
 Saladin was also a Mameluk !!!

A - Yes you are right, the whole world is Turkish, the Cruasers were Turks, Richard's middle name was Erkan, Napoleon as well was a Turk. Confused

B - A Mamluk was a slave, Salah ad-Din was a free man, born to a free family, who were from Tikrit, an army family.

A + B = he was Kurd.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>