Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Battle of Bannockburn, 1314

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Battle of Bannockburn, 1314
    Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 13:20
How come an army of 5000 Scots under the leadership of Robert Bruce could defeat 23.000 English on 23rd and 24th June of 1314?
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 14:05
The numbers in my source are given as follows:

Scots (estimatd):
Mounted Men-at-Arms - 500
Pikemen - 9000

Total: 9500

English (estimated):
Mounted Men-at-Arms - 1000
Infantry (including archers) - 17,000

Total: 18,000

The British had the advantage of numbers, but the biggest factors in the Battle of Bannockburn were the use of pikemen and choice of battlefield

The Scots had the fortune of both. The Scots pick the location as an intercept point to prevent the marching English from relieving the castle at Stirling. The location they picked gave some high ground, and a marshy portion of land that would slow the English heavy cavalry. This ended up sandwhiching the cavalrymen between the advancing pikemen, and the English archers, which diminishes the abilities of both the horses and the archers.

A small contigent of archers tried to flank the Scottish schiltrons (pike squares) but were cut down my Robert the Bruce's cavalry reserve. The pikemen continued advancing, pushing the cavalry up against the English infantry, resulting in great confusion. The British line dissolved and largely fled.

Paraphrased from:
Dougherty, Martin. Battles of the Medieval World. Amber Books ltd. 2006
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 14:30
Originally posted by Kaysaar

The numbers in my source are given as follows:

Scots (estimatd):
Mounted Men-at-Arms - 500
Pikemen - 9000

Did Scots actually had pikemen units back then?
I think that they( Scots ) were mostly spearmen and pike certainly wasn't in Scottish armament afaik.

Edited by axeman - 27-Aug-2006 at 14:30
Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 14:52
Originally posted by axeman

Did Scots actually had pikemen units back then?
I think that they( Scots ) were mostly spearmen and pike certainly wasn't in Scottish armament afaik.

Not pikemen so much as in the modern sense. Spearmen, but used in the general manner of a pike square would be my understanding.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 15:57
Larger numbers cant overcome incompetent leadership like Edward II. They used pikeman and shattered an unorganized english cavalry charge then pretty much mopped up the unorganized english army. The scottish pikeman proved that infantry could stand up to heavy cavalry which would be seen again in future battles in Europe.

A spear is a general term that encompasses alot of weapons including alot of polearms and throwing missiles. A pike is a spear and they were using what most people consider pikes or some other hybrid polearm.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 16:46
Originally posted by Gundamor

The scottish pikeman proved that infantry could stand up to heavy cavalry which would be seen again in future battles in Europe.

The story goes that, while in hiding, Robert Bruce was inspired to go on fighting after seeing a spider struggle up its thread again and again- and eventually succeed.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 17:02
It was a nice follow on from the Battle of the Golden Spurs, the early 14th century providing the key inspirations for the organised infantry response to cavalry's fearsome reputation.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 17:18
Why do you call them [the English] British?
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 17:52
Zagros, it is a common thing here in America because people think that England=Britain, and that Scotland and Wales are part of England. The sad thing about this horrible mistake of calling the English "British" during the Middle Ages is that the Scottish are just as modern-day British as the English. This mistake  is so prevelant here in the United States that I even heard of a historian on the History Channel make the same mistake of calling the English "British" at the Battle of Bannockburn. British can be used after James I in 1603(though it was only a personal union), but most correctly after the Act of Union between England and Scotland in 1707.

Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 17:54
Me? Sometimes I just accidentally swap them. I just wrote a paper on the modern era, so everything was Britain rather than England. I just have to switch back to the Medieval mode, and remember that there is no Britain yet.
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 19:41
Originally posted by Zagros

Why do you call them [the English] British?

In this context, i.e Bannockburn in the 14th century, it is imperative to differentiate between English and British.  But, in 1314, England and Scotland were separate kingdoms. So it was the English vs the Scots. British is more a modern construct.

Nowadays, your average person could easily make out the difference between English and British. British are crudely made up of the Welsh, English, northern irish and Scots. The English are people from England.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2006 at 19:43
Agreed. England and Scotland united with the act of Union in 1707,whereas this battle had taken long time ago: 1314

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 01:30
The war was indeed between two distinct national people. But it is worth noting that by this stage the English had soldiers serving with them from Wales, their estates there being productive enough to contribute levies of archers. So really it was an army comprised of Anglo-Welsh soldiers facing the Scots.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 04:19
British isn't a modern construct particularly. It's an ancient one.  It's perfectly OK to call the pre-Anglo-Saxon inhabitants 'Britons' and 'British': King Arthur may be fictitious, but he is a fictitious Briton, just as Boadicea is a real one.

It gets tricky with the Anglo-Saxons, since a lot of them settled in what is now modern Scotland, which is why Scotland's greatest poet wrote in 'English', and only gets a bit clearer when on the one hand the Normans and the Anglo-Saxons and the Danes kind of merged into one 'people', while on the other hand other Anglo-Saxons, Irish Scots and Highland Gaelic-speakers started seeing themselves as a different 'people'.

Mostly though that was a question of which king you recognised, so the medieval distinction between English and Scots is political rather than ethnic.

At any time though it ought to be permissible to refer to Welsh, Scots and English all as 'British' since they live in Britain. It's just thinking that English=British that is wrong.

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 06:57
Well, glce2003, it is wrong to refer to the English as "British" and then not refer to the Scots as "British" also. I don't think that British is useful during the Medieval Ages, because even though there was Britain, the island, it was not united. For example, I could say, the British(English) tried to conquer France during the Hundred Years War. The British(Welsh) provided longbowmen for the English. Yet, I could also say, the British(Scots) sent aid to the French during the Hundred Years War. The term should be used sparingly, for example, "The ancient British Celts", but when it involved the kingdoms of England or Scotland during the Middle Ages, it is much better and easier to use English and Scottish.

General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 22:33
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Well, glce2003, it is wrong to refer to the English as "British" and then not refer to the Scots as "British" also. I don't think that British is useful during the Medieval Ages, because even though there was Britain, the island, it was not united. For example, I could say, the British(English) tried to conquer France during the Hundred Years War. The British(Welsh) provided longbowmen for the English. Yet, I could also say, the British(Scots) sent aid to the French during the Hundred Years War. The term should be used sparingly, for example, "The ancient British Celts", but when it involved the kingdoms of England or Scotland during the Middle Ages, it is much better and easier to use English and Scottish.

Add to that the fact the English ruling class were entirely french and Gascony supplied many of men- at-arms. For simplicity we called the faction English, pertaining to the fact it was led by the English king (which was French by blood.)

Gcle is wrong as usual; how surprising! I hate when people try to complicate a trivial, simple concept. I believe Gcle must be a very confused individual in real life. No pun intended , just stating the obvious. I like to take cheap shots at Gcle. :) Everyone has his bete-noire.

Yes British is a modern construct; although Briton was a vague term, pertaining to people living on the British isle, usually irrelevent of ethnicity.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl - 28-Aug-2006 at 22:40
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 22:50
I think that perhaps Quetzalcoatl  you should not issue personnal insults to other members.  
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 01:08
Originally posted by Dawn

I think that perhaps Quetzalcoatl  you should not issue personnal insults to other members.  

Common now, Gcle and I are buddies.  Aren't we Gcle? (turning to Gcle, giving him the evil eye) Tongue. Aren't we Gcle?

I've known Gcle for a couple of years now. He'll strike back, with his trademark: "Wrong. The british are ... etc." or "You are wrong ..." 

It's not like I'm hurling invective at Gcle. Besides, Gcle is sharp-witted individual.

You people are a little oversensitive. I mean, Gcle is a familiar, although there is little love lost between us. A little bit of plain-talking, roughhousing has never done any harm, just adding a little spice to the conversation.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl - 29-Aug-2006 at 01:50
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 01:45
Originally posted by gcle2003

British isn't a modern construct particularly. It's an ancient one.  It's perfectly OK to call the pre-Anglo-Saxon inhabitants 'Britons' and 'British': King Arthur may be fictitious, but he is a fictitious Briton, just as Boadicea is a real one.

It gets tricky with the Anglo-Saxons, since a lot of them settled in what is now modern Scotland, which is why Scotland's greatest poet wrote in 'English', and only gets a bit clearer when on the one hand the Normans and the Anglo-Saxons and the Danes kind of merged into one 'people', while on the other hand other Anglo-Saxons, Irish Scots and Highland Gaelic-speakers started seeing themselves as a different 'people'.

Mostly though that was a question of which king you recognised, so the medieval distinction between English and Scots is political rather than ethnic.

At any time though it ought to be permissible to refer to Welsh, Scots and English all as 'British' since they live in Britain. It's just thinking that English=British that is wrong.

It is a modern construct in the contemporary sense of the word. British as citizen of the United Kingdom. Prior to the establishment of the UK, in 1801, British or Briton was more a loose term--akin to the term Iberian-- which simply refers to the various peoples inhabitating the British Isles

Edited by Quetzalcoatl - 29-Aug-2006 at 02:02
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 07:46

Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

It is a modern construct in the contemporary sense of the word. British as citizen of the United Kingdom.
I think you're thinking of 'British' as used by other peoples.

'British' and 'citizen of the UK' are not the same concept at all. The concept of a 'citizen of the United Kingdom' only came into legal effect with the 1971 Immigration Act, and even now a British citizen is not necessarily a citizen of the UK.

But of course it's a contemporary construct 'in the contemporary sense'. The point is it's an ancient construct generally.  What else are you going to call the British Isles? Or, for that matter, the British climate, if you can bear to talk about it?

It's perfectly OK to call Castilians and Aragonese 'Spanish' in the middle ages as in any other period. It's perfectly OK to call Bavarians, Saxons, Prussians, 'Germans'  in the middle ages, and similarly it's perfectly correct to call the medieval Welsh, Cornish, Anglo-Saxon Scots and Gaelic Scots and English, 'British' as long as when you do it you are referring to all the inhabitants of the island (who do in fact have quite a lot in common culturally).

As I said what's wrong is to use the term when you are only referring to one or two of the British peoples. And that is wrong just as much today as it was in the Middle Ages.
[/QUOTE]

Prior to the establishment of the UK, in 1801, British or Briton was more a loose term--akin to the term Iberian-- which simply refers to the various peoples inhabitating the British Isles
[/QUOTE]

As I said above, it's more akin to using the term 'Spanish' prior to 1700 or 'German' prior to 1871 or 'Italian' prior to 1861. Or 'Scandinavian' right up to today.

And I don't mind being insulted. It's usually a sign that someone has run out of arguments.

Edited by gcle2003 - 29-Aug-2006 at 07:46
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>