Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ismaili assassins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ismaili assassins
    Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 08:53
I would say Babak caused more harm then good to the Iranian natives, at least in the short and medium term. And all the places that were "Arabised" were areas where Arabs had historically had a presence. Exception would be Maghreb.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 09:20

Also, Iraq, Syria and northern Middle East were not traditionally Arab homelands. 

Al Jassas, I think you are confusing Babak with the slave who killed Abu Bakr (Fizooli)?  Babak also operated from a mountain top citadel similar to the Assassins.  One of Babak's motivating agendas was also the betrayal and murder of Abu Muslim.

Edited by Zagros - 12-Aug-2007 at 09:20
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 10:51
True, but there were Arabs in Iraq, as well as in Syria and even in Egypt and Libiya. Remember Khalid Bin Walid was able to us Arab tribes in Iraq in his invasion.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 14:18

Hello to you all.

Zagros my friend I am fairly disappointed from your reply earlier. How can you assume that I was not talking about Babak (Babik as he was known to Arabs) Khorramdin (AL-Khorrami) and that I was suffering a case of mistaken identity. Second, you even didnt know the guy that I was presumed to have meant in my post. Abu Bakr died of natural causes 2 years after the death of the prophet (13 A.H). The guy you were referring to is Abu Loloah Fayrooz, a Persian windmill maker and sword smith who was a slave of Al-Mugherah ibn Shubah who tired to assassinate Omar the second caliph in 23 A.H mortally wounding him with a double headed dagger with a handle not a hilt, the caliph died 3 days later. The guy, who was either Nestorian or most likely Zoroastrian ironically became a hero to the shia after some 300 year from that instance despite the fact that shia dont even recognize Zoroastrians as dhimmie and in shia jurisprudence should either convert of leave the lands of islam and thus we see that the Safavids forcibly kicked them out of Iran or converted them despite them being a considerable minority up to the 16th century. Compare that to Christians who were at least 30% of the population in sunni countries in the middle east by 1860. It was after the unfortunate events in Lebanon in that year when Christians chose exudes. If all of the descendents of those immigrants returned today they will make up to 30% of the population compared to the current 10%. Finlly, Babik did not revolt as a result of the murder of Abu Muslim (his father was a childe then) those who revolted were known as the Javandians (الجاونديون) and they were a political party that wanted to restore Persian rule. Babik later would join and eventually lead them and try to preach his religion of Mazdakism against the alliance of the Zoroastrian priests and Abbasid government.

Anyway this thread is about assassins and we took a long detour LOL, when time comes I will put up inshallah a thread about Babik and early resistance to Arabs rule in Persia and other provinces so I hope we stick to our subject and be patient because the Arabs (actually it is a famous rule in Islamic law) say: he who hastily wants to be rewarded before time comes will be punished by preventing his from obtaining that reward he deserves (It works better in Arabic LOL).

Thank you

Al-Jassas ibn Murrah    

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 14:36
Hi Al-Jassas,

I don't know why you are side shotting at Shi'ism because it is kind of irrelevant here.  But anyway, Safavids used it as a political tool at first to consolidate their power in their realm vis-a-vis the Sunni Osmanli (who also ethnically cleansed Shia from their lands), they were not representatives of Shiism, Sunnah or Islam, they were power hungry munafiqun.  having said that, despite Safavi brutality in converting all and sundry to Shiism,  they constitutionally guaranteed the safety of Jews and Christians.  Are Christians and Jews even allowed to have a place of worship in Saudi Arabia today?  Only Sunnis can have houses of worship in Saudi and the weekly sermons from high ranking clerics speaks volumes of the tolerance that is propagated.  Let's not use this discussion to push any agendas. 

Re Babak: he used Abu Muslim as a propaganda tool - he knew how popular the man was in Iranian minds and used his murder at the hands of the Caliphate to push his own agenda.

Anyway,
No worries.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 03:29

Hello Zagros

I am very sorry and do apologize for bringing religion into the discussion a thing that I should have never did and I know better than that and if I could take what has been written back I would do it Embarrassed.

Any way, returning to our previous subject I found an interesting fact that I would like to share and that the Assassins were not the first "islamic" sect to use assassinations systematically though they were the first group in the world to be involved in organized politically motivated terrorism.
The group that used assassinations as a political tool was the "Khannaqeen" of Iraq "الخناقون" or "the Stranglers". They were called by this name since they obviously strangled their opponents or clubbed them and they were also an offshoot of shias. They existed in the early 8th century and targeted government officials. Their leader was Abu Mansur Al-Ijli
 "أبو منصور العجلي".
Thank You

AL-Jassas ibn Murrah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12