Print Page | Close Window

Ismaili assassins

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Post-Classical Middle East
Forum Discription: SW Asia, the Middle East and Islamic civilizations from 600s - 1900 AD
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13420
Printed Date: 28-May-2024 at 15:32
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ismaili assassins
Posted By: Illuminati
Subject: Ismaili assassins
Date Posted: 18-Jul-2006 at 18:30
I'm currently reading a book about the Ismaili sect of the Shi'a and how they became the most feared assassins at the time. I was curious what people thought about them and their influence on the region at the time.

Replies:
Posted By: elvain
Date Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 18:20
there are several books on them even in Czech, I don't doubt you'll find some in english. Just google a little...

just something I ofund in my library's funds:
WASSERMAN, James - Templars and the Assassins: the militia of heaven

I've red this book, it is interesting, but you can't take everything what is written there for 100%
though you can start with it and look into it's bibliography Wink

Date Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 08:27
btw, I checked this book in a bookshop several days ago and there are several books on the topic in bibliography so I believe it can help you

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 12:45

They are not assasin any more, but Pakistan's NLI is mostly ismaili.

Still feared
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lalak_Jan - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lalak_Jan

-------------

Posted By: Maharbbal
Date Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 13:12
There is a wonderful novel called Alamut by Vladimir Bartol.

-------------
I am a free donkey!

Date Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 14:34
Originally posted by Sparten

They are not assasin any more, but Pakistan's NLI is mostly ismaili.

Still feared
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lalak_Jan - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lalak_Jan
Assassins were just one fraction of Ismailites

F.i. Fatimids were also Ismailis, but it would be very controversial to say they were Assassins

Posted By: Kapikulu
Date Posted: 11-Mar-2007 at 00:14

Hasan Sabbah and his fake heaven of hashisch...

His assassins killed many, including Seljuk Grand Vizier Nizam-ul Mulk..

They were traditional enemies of Sunni Muslims...

The Aga Khan is the leader of the descendants of Ismailites.

-------------
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 11-Mar-2007 at 10:21
I think they just didn't like Khalifah and Seljuq occupation. Do you have any sources specifically on their motivation? 

-------------

Posted By: Kapikulu
Date Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 03:52
Originally posted by Zagros

specifically on their motivation? 

Hasan Sabbah's motivation was to gain more influence and power AFAIK. Even though there are religious differences between his sect and Sunnis, his real motivation was the influence&power struggle.

-------------
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli

Date Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 07:35
Originally posted by Kapikulu

Originally posted by Zagros

specifically on their motivation? 

Hasan Sabbah's motivation was to gain more influence and power AFAIK. Even though there are religious differences between his sect and Sunnis, his real motivation was the influence&power struggle.

I think his motivation was a bit more than gaining influence and power, in some publications, which i was given to read while i was discussing this matter back in Iran, he is seen more as a individual which didnt like the foreign influences in Iran.

Posted By: Balain d Ibelin
Date Posted: 07-May-2007 at 23:05
Illuminati, what I read is that the only Ismaili Shia Sect which became Assasins are the Nizari Sect, while the Druze sect (With the Fatimid Caliph Al Hakim -996-1021- as their Imam) and the Mustaali sect (Fatimid Caliph Al Mustanshir as their Imam) are only Ismailis which are like usual Shia but they also included practices of the Persian Zoroastrianism.

The Nizari Assasins were the Hashishins and the Nizaris. They believed that by killing people they can carve a way to heaven. They hate the Seljuqs' Reign and the Sunnis. They themselves tried to kill Major Sunnis Mullahs and Turkish general or Mullahs(And many times Successful). They trained new assasins by putting Young Shias to sleep and wakened them up at their base ("The Eagles' Nest", as the Arabs said) then they will be "Hypnotized" by Women, Drinks, Gardens, at the "Eagles' Nest" and making them venomed by a Hashish (Arabian/turkish cigarette). After the process finished, their leader will sent the Hashishin to mission, usually they killed the target at Markets when it was very crowded (And of course, Silently, but deadly).

Nizaris were also assasins like Hashishins (The process were same).

The Nizari Sect believed that the Real Caliph must be the heir of the Bloodline of Ali (Fourth Caliph, One of the Grand Imam of the Shias), as the Fatimids believed that their Ancestor was Ali & Fatimah, the Assasins never tried to hurt the Fatimids (Even, they make Alliance with the Fatimids).

As their process of Assasination and recruition of New Assasins, they were feared by people.

The Crusaders are actually Trying to make an Alliance with the Assasins, but the offers were rejected. The Crusaders like the Assasins as they also hate the Turkish occupance.

Hassan-i-Sabbah was one of the leader of the Assasins

-------------
"Good quality will be known among your enemies, before you ever met them my friend"Trobadourre de Crusadier Crux

Posted By: kurt
Date Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 00:32
It's funny, isn't it? The Assasins were a sect of Ismailism, which is a sect of Shi'ism, which is a sect of Islam, which is a sect of Judaism. A sect of a sect of a sect of a sect of a sect. Makes me glad I'm a Rastafarian.

Does anyone have any information as to how and why the Assasins attacked the Crusaders. It's a shame they didn't focus their cunning and skill on the Crusaders alone, rather then tearing Islam to bits and weakening it before the onslaught of Hulagu Khan.

Posted By: Al Jassas
Date Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 04:22

Hello to you all.

I read a post about Assassins earlier and I thought I must give some account of them from the Arabic sources that I have.

The Assassins are simply history’s deadliest terrorist organization that ever existed. Bin Laden himself should be shy for calling himself a terrorist if we compare what he did with what they did. The origins of the assassins lay in the Batini (باطني) Ismaili sect who recognizes only the first seven imams of the shias and Ismail ibn Jaafar as the rightful successor to Jaafar rather than Musa Al Kazim. There origins are obscure but it is agreed that Abdullah ibn Maymon Al Qaddah (عبد الله بن ميمون القداح) was the first to publicize this sect in Tunis. The Fatimids who claim descent from Ali supported this sect and in the end established their state. Since direct military conflict against the Abbasids who were supported by the shia Buyehids who considered Ismailis heretics was not possible, they started organizing religious missionaries to convert the population to Ismailism and then when time comes extend their government there. From this missionary work they managed to establish two of the most destructive movements in Islam, first the Qarmatians (القرامطة) in Bahrain and then the assassins.

The founder of the assassins was not a die hard Iranian freedom fighter who wanted to liberate Iran from the Arabs as Zagros want him to be, he was actually an Arab himself Al-Hassan ibn Al-Sabbah Al-Himyari (الحسن بن علي بن جعفر بن الحسن الصباح الحميري). His father came from Yemen and settled with the Yemeni community in Arrai (near today’s Tehran) and converted to the Twelver shia sect from his Zaidi shia sect. Al-Hassan studied there and after finding one the preachers for the Ismailis inArrai converted and joined Abu Najm Assarraj (أبو نجم السراج) who was also a mathematician and astronomer. Al-Hassan went to Cairo after that to meet with Al-Mustansir the Fatimid caliph but failed to do so. When Al-Mustansir died and the chiefs of the state chose Al-Musta’li rather than the older Nizar, Al-Hassan tried to organize a coup with Nizar’s supporters only to fail and to flee Egypt. He went to Yazd, Isfahan, Firman (فرمان) and finally Damighan (دامغان) all the time preaching for his sect. It was in those days that he started to build a military force of assassins and to plan for his next move, establishing a state. He scouted several locations and castles in both Koohistan (Zagros Mountains) and Qazvin Mountains (Elbruz Mountains) and he chose the latter because Sunni Islam was never strong there (the Qazvin region has always been a shia stronghold in Iran). He tried to take Al-Mut (Eagle nest) castle several times finally taking it in 1090 after secretly converting the entire population into the Ismaili sect. His methods that were used to subdue this castle became the model for other castles across Iran and Syria. Throughout his campaign to establish his dominion over Iran he built a core group of suicidal maniacs that were trained on absolute obedience so much so that if he ordered them to kill themselves they would do it. He used to kidnap kids from neighboring villages and train in secret would be slaves to blindly do what they were told to do. He established the firmest espionage organization ever built and to this day no body knows for shore how did the orders came from Al-Mut and executed in a speedy way despite that the castle itself was under siege. In the end Al-Hassan became dominant and after the death of Mulk-shah the seljuq sultan whom he feared the most he decided that it was time to unleach the deadly destructive force of the Assassins.

In beautiful autumn day in Isfahan or (Shiraz) on the 17th of October 1092, only one day after Mulk-Shah’s death   Nizam Al-Mulk the cornerstone of the Seljuq rule and minister to them was the first victim of Al-Hassan’s Terror machine. It is worth to mention here that the legend of the three companions (Khayyam, Nizam and Al-Hassan)is anything but true. Actually in an other source that I forgot what it is they never met and another said that Nizam gave Al-Hassan a job as a civil servant in one of the diwans. But whatever is true one thing is certain, Al-Hassan began a wave of assassinations that terrorized the Middle East for two centuries and this was when the weapon of choice was a poisoned dagger. Imagine if the weapons of terror that we have today were there?

The terror that they unleashed targeted any one that opposed their plans and I mean every one from Kings and caliphs to ordinary Dick, Jo and Harry. They included judges, scholars, civil servants, mayor, governors, military commanders, local vassals and even some of their own ranks. Here is a very short and incomplete list of the heads of state that they murdered:

First: Caliphs: 1- AL-Mustarshid on the 29th of August 1135.

2- Al-Rashid: the son of the above only moths after his father.

3- Fatimid Al Amir biAhkam Allah  (الآمر بأحكام الله)  in 1130.

Second: Princes and Kings:1- Aq Sangar of Musil.

2- Moudood of Musil.

3- Dawood of azerbijan.

4-Behemond of Tripoly.

And many others.

Al-Jassas ibn Murrah

Date Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 04:25
I forgot tom mention that my source is (آلموت او آيديولوجيا الإرهاب الفدائي) Almut or the ideaology of fidaiyeen terrorism by Dr. Samirah bin Ammou.

Posted By: Seko
Date Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 09:50

Al Jassas. Thanks for the references and the wealth of information. I especially like it that your lettering is re-sized to the visible norm.

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 13:53
Your Welcom

Posted By: malizai_
Date Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 20:54
Good post! Jassas. Your contribution in other posts is commendable too.Thumbs%20Up

I see Hassan ibn Al-Sabbah actions simply as a 'V'endetta against the state. He didn't want to be ignored.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 06:10
The founder of the assassins was not a die hard Iranian freedom fighter who wanted to liberate Iran from the Arabs as Zagros want him to be,

I think you're confused, I merely conjectured and asked a question to affirm or debunk by conjecture.  But let me tell you, the person who actually wanted to liberate Iran from the Arabs, as history records, was babak Khorramdin, who in large part (thankfully) prevented the Arabization of NW Iran by slaying Arab settlers and attacking Khalifate troops for 20 years.

So was it Isfahan or Shiraz that the Assassins' terrorism started?

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 07:51

Hello To You All

Well Zagros, I will inshallah discuss Babek with much detail later but first to our topic. I did more research into the subject and I found out several conflicting stories but all of them agree that he was killed in ramadhan after breaking the fast in the evening by a Daylamite boy (named Dhahir Arrani ضاهر عراني) who approached the Vizier asking for money. The difference is that when (the exact date) it took place and where, most (ibn Khaldun, Al-Sayooti) but the book above says it was in Nahavend. The one historian that was contemporary but I cannot quote him right now since the book is not available is ibn Al-Athir who is the source for both historians above.

Al-Jassas

Date Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 07:54
Sorry I forgot to mention the city Ibn Khaldun mentioned, it was IsfahanEmbarrassed

Date Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 08:53
I would say Babak caused more harm then good to the Iranian natives, at least in the short and medium term. And all the places that were "Arabised" were areas where Arabs had historically had a presence. Exception would be Maghreb.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 09:20

Also, Iraq, Syria and northern Middle East were not traditionally Arab homelands. 

Al Jassas, I think you are confusing Babak with the slave who killed Abu Bakr (Fizooli)?  Babak also operated from a mountain top citadel similar to the Assassins.  One of Babak's motivating agendas was also the betrayal and murder of Abu Muslim.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 10:51
True, but there were Arabs in Iraq, as well as in Syria and even in Egypt and Libiya. Remember Khalid Bin Walid was able to us Arab tribes in Iraq in his invasion.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 14:18

Hello to you all.

Zagros my friend I am fairly disappointed from your reply earlier. How can you assume that I was not talking about Babak (Babik as he was known to Arabs) Khorramdin (AL-Khorrami) and that I was suffering a case of mistaken identity. Second, you even didn’t know the guy that I was presumed to have meant in my post. Abu Bakr died of natural causes 2 years after the death of the prophet (13 A.H). The guy you were referring to is Abu Lo’loah Fayrooz, a Persian windmill maker and sword smith who was a slave of Al-Mugherah ibn Shu’bah who tired to assassinate Omar the second caliph in 23 A.H mortally wounding him with a double headed dagger with a handle not a hilt, the caliph died 3 days later. The guy, who was either Nestorian or most likely Zoroastrian ironically became a hero to the shia after some 300 year from that instance despite the fact that shia don’t even recognize Zoroastrians as dhimmie and in shia jurisprudence should either convert of leave the lands of islam and thus we see that the Safavids forcibly kicked them out of Iran or converted them despite them being a considerable minority up to the 16th century. Compare that to Christians who were at least 30% of the population in sunni countries in the middle east by 1860. It was after the unfortunate events in Lebanon in that year when Christians chose exudes. If all of the descendents of those immigrants returned today they will make up to 30% of the population compared to the current 10%. Finlly, Babik did not revolt as a result of the murder of Abu Muslim (his father was a childe then) those who revolted were known as the Javandians (الجاونديون) and they were a political party that wanted to restore Persian rule. Babik later would join and eventually lead them and try to preach his religion of Mazdakism against the alliance of the Zoroastrian priests and Abbasid government.

Anyway this thread is about assassins and we took a long detour LOL, when time comes I will put up inshallah a thread about Babik and early resistance to Arabs rule in Persia and other provinces so I hope we stick to our subject and be patient because the Arabs (actually it is a famous rule in Islamic law) say: he who hastily wants to be rewarded before time comes will be punished by preventing his from obtaining that reward he deserves (It works better in Arabic LOL).

Thank you

Al-Jassas ibn Murrah    

Date Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 14:36
Hi Al-Jassas,

I don't know why you are side shotting at Shi'ism because it is kind of irrelevant here.  But anyway, Safavids used it as a political tool at first to consolidate their power in their realm vis-a-vis the Sunni Osmanli (who also ethnically cleansed Shia from their lands), they were not representatives of Shiism, Sunnah or Islam, they were power hungry munafiqun.  having said that, despite Safavi brutality in converting all and sundry to Shiism,  they constitutionally guaranteed the safety of Jews and Christians.  Are Christians and Jews even allowed to have a place of worship in Saudi Arabia today?  Only Sunnis can have houses of worship in Saudi and the weekly sermons from high ranking clerics speaks volumes of the tolerance that is propagated.  Let's not use this discussion to push any agendas. 

Re Babak: he used Abu Muslim as a propaganda tool - he knew how popular the man was in Iranian minds and used his murder at the hands of the Caliphate to push his own agenda.

Anyway,
No worries.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 03:29

Hello Zagros

I am very sorry and do apologize for bringing religion into the discussion a thing that I should have never did and I know better than that and if I could take what has been written back I would do it Embarrassed.

Any way, returning to our previous subject I found an interesting fact that I would like to share and that the Assassins were not the first "islamic" sect to use assassinations systematically though they were the first group in the world to be involved in organized politically motivated terrorism.
The group that used assassinations as a political tool was the "Khannaqeen" of Iraq "الخناقون" or "the Stranglers". They were called by this name since they obviously strangled their opponents or clubbed them and they were also an offshoot of shias. They existed in the early 8th century and targeted government officials. Their leader was Abu Mansur Al-Ijli
 "أبو منصور العجلي".
Thank You

AL-Jassas ibn Murrah

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com