Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Israel army launches Gaza assault

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Israel army launches Gaza assault
    Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 21:17
The Israeli army has begun a ground offensive in southern Gaza to try to gain the release of an Israeli soldier by Palestinian militants.

Israeli aircraft earlier bombed bridges and a power plant in the Gaza Strip.

Cpl Gilad Shalit was abducted by Palestinian militants during a raid on an Israeli post near Gaza on Sunday.

Israel had warned of a massive military assault if he was not freed and its tanks have been massing along the border with Gaza for several days.

It is unclear how many troops are being used in the incursion, launched from the Kerem Shalom crossing near southern Gaza.

The assault on Gaza marks Israel's first major incursion into the territory since it withdrew its soldiers and settlers last year, ending almost 40 years of occupation.

'Limited operation'

The Israeli forces are reported to have taken up positions near the town of Rafah, shortly after passing Gaza's disused international airport.

The Associated Press news agency quotes Palestinian witnesses as saying the soldiers were moving under the cover of tank shells.

Palestinian militants anticipating an Israeli assault have been erecting barricades and preparing hideouts and ambush positions.

A spokeswoman for the Israeli armed forces said they had not encountered any resistance from the Palestinians.

Israeli military officials have been quoted as saying Prime Minister Ehud Olmert had backed a "limited operation" targeting the "terrorist infrastructure".

Militants' demands

Hours before the ground assault, the Israeli jets attacked three bridges and a power plant in the Gaza Strip.

The Israeli military confirmed that the first strike on the bridge was aimed at stopping Palestinian militants from moving Cpl Shalit.

The strike on the plant plunged much of Gaza into darkness. It is not yet clear if there were any casualties.

The soldier was captured when Palestinian militants burrowed under the Gaza border and attacked an Israeli army position, killing two soldiers.

Israel has rejected the militants' demands for Palestinian women and children held in Israeli jails to be freed in exchange for information about the soldier.

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5123262.stm

Edited by Jay. - 27-Jun-2006 at 21:17
Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 23:17
Hamas and fatah were on the verge of recognizing Israel's to exist, which would help lead to a possible two-state solution. I'm curious to see fi this ends that progress or not.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 23:19
I think Israel should recognize Palestine's right to exist as well, you know... as part of the peace process.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 23:44
Olmert has said he is in support of a two-state solution, I think that shows he recognizes that the Palestinians have a right to exist. Hamas are the ones who have refused to go forward into negotiating a two state solution, which I think si the only solution since neither side is ever going to give in and let the others have 100% control over the area.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 03:52
well Israelis don't want peace, peace to them means they would have to take off their illegal settlements, and means their access to fresh water will be less,

if Palestinians kept compromising their rights and their lands for the sake of peace , Israel will find ways to take more lands and insure more Illegal Israelis are planted in the future Palestinian state.

still we did not see what is the "Palestinian state that Olmert recognizes", their wall already ate huge parts of the west bank, the Jordan river is next i guess.

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 11:09
Good luck to both sides this will be an excellent world cup match!
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 12:45
Originally posted by azimuth

well Israelis don't want peace, peace to them means they would have to take off their illegal settlements, and means their access to fresh water will be less,

if Palestinians kept compromising their rights and their lands for the sake of peace , Israel will find ways to take more lands and insure more Illegal Israelis are planted in the future Palestinian state.

still we did not see what is the "Palestinian state that Olmert recognizes", their wall already ate huge parts of the west bank, the Jordan river is next i guess.

Israel evacuated Gaza a year ago and for it's reward has had rocket attacks, bombings and now this recent incident.

It is Hamas that does not want peace.  Peace would deny that august organization its justification to be.  Hamas "refuses to recognize Israel's existence." LOLLOLLOL   Ah yes.  The Palestinian fantasy dimension where Israel can be wished away, as that population lives off handouts from people who they would like to kill.  The whole concept of a "Palestinian State" is a cruel joke perpetrated by Arab governments for decades to serve their own purposes.

The IDF not having planned for this contingency seems most unlikely.  As far as the Hamas leadership in Syria, I wonder if they watched "Munich."

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 13:27
I think the sooner Israel comes to an end the better, it 'may' lead to a more harmonious middle-east. It is an illegal colony established by one superpower and kept in place by another.

There is no possibility of a two state 'solution'. It is an urban myth. I would like to see a coherent person draw out state boundaries for the two states.(agreeable to both sides).
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 13:52
Agreeable to both sides.. have you read the charter of Hamas?
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 13:58
Firstly, I am not talking about Hamas but the Palestenians. BTW, have u 'seen' the charter of the Israelis.
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 14:03
Just for the record, is this again one of those attacks where the casualty costs will be: "7 children and 1 grown Palestinian male, perhaps a mean guy"
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 14:33
Originally posted by malizai_

Firstly, I am not talking about Hamas but thePalestenians. BTW, have u'seen' the charter of the Israelis.

lol ..tell us about the charter of the Israelis.
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 16:54

Firstly, I am not talking about Hamas but the Palestenians. BTW, have u 'seen' the charter of the Israelis.

that doesn't matter. The Palestinians elected Hamas. Their charter is now one in the same.
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 16:58
but the situation seems to be getting mroe intense. Israelie jets jsut staged an incursion into Syrian Ari Space and were fired on by Syrian air defenses. Obviously, it's in reponse to the fact taht Syria has been a long-time supporter of Hamas

Israeli warplanes make "warning" flight over Syria

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israeli warplanes flew low over one of President Bashar al-Assad's palaces on Wednesday to warn Syria against supporting Palestinian militants who abducted an Israeli soldier, the Israeli army said.

Israeli media reports said four planes carried out the overflights near the city of Latakia at low altitude, early in the morning, causing several sonic booms.

They said Assad was at the palace at the time.

Syrian state media confirmed the overflights by Israeli planes. "The Air Defense Force then fired at them, dispersing them and making them leave the area," state television quoted a government source as saying.

The Israeli army said it appeared the aircraft had not been fired upon.

A spokeswoman said the planes flew over Assad's palace "because the Syrian leadership supports and harbors terrorist leaders, among them Hamas, the kidnappers of the soldier".

The armed wing of the ruling Hamas movement was among three factions which took part in a cross-border raid into Israel from Gaza in which the soldier was seized on Sunday, but it has not said it is holding him.

Israeli leaders have accused Damascus-based Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal of being responsible for the kidnapping.

Exiled Hamas leaders say they were not involved in the operation to capture the soldier, but are taking seriously Israeli threats to kill them.

U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan appealed for restraint.

"It is very important that we all take very careful steps to de-escalate and not take any action or initiative that would expand or escalate the situation," he said in New York.

Annan said he had been in touch with Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas as well as Assad, before the overflights, to try to calm the crisis sparked by the hostage-taking.

A senior Syrian official told Reuters the overflight was a "provocative action".

Syrian political commentator Thabet Salem said in Damascus: "The Israelis are trying to make their problems into a regional one because the capture of the solider and settler is embarrassing for their military establishment."

Syria and Israel have been arch-foes for decades. Israel captured the Golan Heights from Syria in the 1967 Middle East war and later annexed the territory in a move not recognized internationally.

Tensions have risen during a nearly six-year Palestinian uprising with Israel repeatedly accusing Syria of harboring militants who attack the Jewish state.

In 2003 Israel bombed a militant training base in Syria, wounding several people, after a Palestinian suicide bomber killed 19 in an Israeli restaurant.

(Additional reporting by Khaled Yacoub Oweis in Damascus and Irwin Arieff at the United Nations)

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2006-06-28T202358Z_01_L28502390_RTRUKOC_0_US-MIDEAST-ISRAEL-SYRIA.xml&pageNumber=0&imageid=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=NewsArt-C1-ArticlePage2

flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 18:07
Hundreds of Palestian children and women are imprisoned by Israel and nobody talks about that. Now this Israeli SOLDIER, not a civilian, was captured and the whole world is paying attention to him. 

I am not saying that I don't feel sorry for this soldier but Israel is involved in a military conflict with the Palestinians, so there will always be captives. It is a warlike situation there. 

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 18:24
Originally posted by cattus

lol ..tell us about the charter of the Israelis.

No!, my Dear Cattus, don't LOL and kindly tell us what you know of the Israeli charter. BTW, i know nothing of the Hamas charter, y, because it is a secondary issue and not the root cause of the problem.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 18:39
All I'm willing to do is to continue to support those working for peace.

There is a group of retired Israeli women known as the Checkpoint Watchers; I watched a documentary about them not a week ago and one scene has stayed with me.

At one checkpoint in the West Bank, away from the border, an Israeli woman is talking to the camera while they walk towards the Israeli soldiers. She's explaining that the army claims checkpoints within Palestinian territory are designed to stop the movement of militants within the region but she believes they're just designed to create hardship. When they get to the checkpoint, there's a woman with two small children locked up in a portable-toilet-sized "interrogation center" (cage). She asks them how long they've been there in Arabic and the mother's face just lights up. They translate "Two hours" but don't translate anything else, even though they keep talking for a few more sentences. The Israeli woman goes over to the soldiers and makes a fuss, why are they still being held, etc. The soldier lets them out, the Palestinian woman hugs the Israeli woman, takes her business-style "Checkpoint Watch" card, and then leaves.

Then in a scene later in the documentary, it's a dark room and the Israeli woman is filming herself and she explains she just got a letter from the Palestinian woman and she translates a little bit, and then she says, "And I have to read you this part, she writes: There are more among the Jews than just Zionists and Settlers. I cannot support any retalliation against Israel's illegal cities knowing it could affect someone as you."

That's the kind of people I choose to support.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 18:49
Originally posted by Mila

There is a group of retired Israeli women known as the Checkpoint Watchers; I watched a documentary about them not a week ago and one scene has stayed with me.

I also saw a different documentary with a similar theme produced by a Montreal filmmaker. The title of that documentary is "The Other Zionists" and I think they talk about the same group of retired Israeli women.

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 19:28
Originally posted by Mila

That's the kind of people I choose to support.

Sadly, they have neglegibile political weight in Israeli politics. The profane reality is in your face Zionism.

I was watching the news( Sky News) and it was said in the typical pro-israeli bias that the "Israeli airforce was bombing the bridges in case the hostage was sneaked out". I guess the Israelis bombed the power stations because they didnt want the hostage to be tortured by electricution. The water pumping station because they thought someone may fill up a bath in attempt to drown the soldier.

Sky News, in the extreme stupidity of its correspondent showed the millitary hardware massing outside Gazza waiting, in the form of some 40 bulldozers. The idiot could not tell the difference between a bulldozer and a millitary vehicle. It completely mocked the intelligence of the audience as to the intent and purpose of that amassment.

docyabut View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote docyabut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 23:40

Israeli Defense Minister Amir Peretz told a brief news conference Wednesday he had approved new operations in northern Gaza to stop the firing of those rockets into Israel.

Rockets burn in Rafah after an Israeli airstrike.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>