Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

For those who love Sparta

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Who is you’re favorite king?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.38%]
25 [59.52%]
2 [4.76%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [14.29%]
1 [2.38%]
2 [4.76%]
2 [4.76%]
3 [7.14%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Online Status: Offline
  Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For those who love Sparta
    Posted: 28-Aug-2011 at 16:34
Originally posted by Spartakus

Leonidas,because even though he knew the situation was awful he preferred to stay and fight for Sparta and it's dignity.
Actually, he fought for none of that. He fought for postponement while his brother fortified the isthmus of Corinth.
bluepheonixs View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote bluepheonixs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2005 at 22:21
The Spartans are the best soldiers to walk the face of this Earth!
Vini,Vidi,Vinci
GENERAL PARMENION View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote GENERAL PARMENION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 19:32

THE BATTLE OF THERMOPYLAE

"There is no doubt, that Macedonians were Greeks."
(Robin Lane Fox "Historian-Author" In Interview with newspaper TO BHMA)

Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 08:29
And Leonidas was not alone with his 300 Spartans, as many people were heard saying.
There were a couple of thousand others, from the surrounding areas as well as from further afar, who either stayed with the Spartans to fight or held various strategic positions at the surrounding highs.
Nevertheless, many fled, many were overwhelmed early in the battles, many were forgotten and some really fought.
The fact is that in the end there were only the Spartans left fighting, who indeed were only 300, and they would stand there for much longer had they not been betrayed by a local who saw an opportunity of profit in this situation.
However, it was indeed a deed of excessive courage and let us not forget that someone in the greek army, when told that the Persians would shoot so many arrows that they would cover the sun, he replied with the equivalent of "cool, we'll be fighting in the shade!". That's what I call defiance...
CARRY NOTHING
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 07:58
Originally posted by Yiannis

Go stranger, and to the Lakedemonians say

that here, obedient to their laws, we fell

I prefer this translation of mine:
Yo, dude, tell them Lacedaemonians that we're buried here, 'cuz that's what they told us to do.
CARRY NOTHING
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 07:57

Wow Vagabod!

But I like this translation better:

Go stranger, and to the Lakedemonians say

that here, obedient to their laws, we fell

CARRY NOTHING
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2005 at 01:49
the english language has a way in making new names for everything 
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Istor the Macedonian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Istor the Macedonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 17:41

Archidamos, for his speech before the Peloponnesian war starting.

Istor
Macedonian, therefore Greek!
conon394 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote conon394 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2005 at 10:44

The Greek root for Sparta/Spartains was used quite often (Sparte). The name of the Sparta was Sparta, Laconia and its derivations describe the region.

The following link should connect to the LSJ entry at Perseus for Sparte.   Note Max Inst for Greek Prose/Poetry/Texts.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?layout.reflang=gr eek;layout.refembed=2;layout.refwordcount=1;layout.refdoc=Pe rseus%3Atext%3A1999.01.0159;layout.reflookup=%2Aspa%2Frths;l ayout.refcit=book%3D4%3Achapter%3D12%3Asection%3D4;doc=Perse us%3Atext%3A1999.04.0057%3Aentry%3D%2395771;layout.refabo=Pe rseus%3Aabo%3Atlg%2C0525%2C001

Edited by conon394
Mythos_Ruler View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Spammer

Quote Mythos_Ruler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2005 at 05:11
I too have a scan of that very nice map. Here's is a cropped section:

Laconia = the province in which their city resided.
Lacedaemon = The city of Sparta.
Lacedaemonia = the land owned (lived in/conquered)by the Lacedaemons (Spartans).

However, I don't believe there is any evidence of the word "Sparta" or "Spartans" in ancient texts. If this is correct, where did this term come from? If there is evidence, anyone with a cite?

Edited by Mythos_Ruler
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 13:06

Agis IV.

Young, nave, foolishly idealistic?  Absolutely!

Still,  Agis IV, deserves praise for his efforts at land reforms that would have led to  greater levels of economic  equality in Sparti. After all a competent leader should not be measured only by his "warrior" skills!

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 14:47
Originally posted by Lannes

Got any more maps or sources that would agree with you?

one source will suffice any day if the source is true.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 05:10
Originally posted by Hellinas

Originally from Mani even though it's been some years since I've last been there, I've never heard of this "county" where exacttly is this?

Not a discrace, but in any case it's not proper for me, a Samian, to inform you of your place

In any case, the term "county" (eparchia) is not really used, it's mostly administrational, so you're excused!

Here you go: http://www.gtp.gr/LocPage.asp?id=9695

In Greek:
. . : . , ,
, .
( )

: . , . /, , , , ,
, , , , , , ,
, , , , , , ,
, , , , , , ,
, , , , , ,
, , , .
http://www.taxheaven.gr/show.php?id=1519&p=1997/1519.txt

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Hellinas View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Hellinas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 03:42
Yiannis
>> Just for the record, the present-day prefecture of Lakonia includes a county named "Lacedemonia"<<

Originally from Mani even though it's been some years since I've last been there, I've never heard of this "county" where exacttly is this? Yeah I know I'm a disgrace.

Anyway, in support of Temujin's Lakonia, all we need to do is look up :

Strabo, Geography Book VIII

(11) However, I am overstepping the bounds of moderation in recounting the numerous stories told about a country the most of which is now deserted. In fact, Lakonia too is now short of population as compared with its large population in olden times, for outside of Sparta the remaining towns are only about thirty in number, whereas in olden times it was called, they say, 'the country of the hundred cities'; and it was on this account, they say, that they held annual festivals in which one hundred cattle were sacrificed.

Edited by Hellinas
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 03:10

Thanks everyone - didn't mean to start another Pelloponesian War just by asking a question. 

From what I have seen - I can infer that any reference in ancient literature to a Lakedemonian (or a Laconian) that I see would probably refer to a Spartan citizen as Helots (and/or Messenians) would have been specifically referred to as such if they were referred to at all? 

I don't want to go too far off topic as by now everyone may have forgotten poor Leonidas and Lycergus altogether.

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 02:39
Just for the record, the present-day prefecture of Lakonia includes a county named "Lacedemonia". (ok, not posted as proof but just as trivia...)

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 16:24

Originally posted by Temujin

well, the original province of Sparta was called Lakonia, and the combined provinces of Lakonia and Messenia were then called Lakedaimonia. that has no political reasons, just geographical. and furthermore, ancient Makedonia had a province called Mygdonia...

Got any more maps or sources that would agree with you?

τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 13:08

Not that it really does matter, but let's think about it rationally (and forget about the map):

well, the original province of Sparta was called Lakonia, and the combined provinces of Lakonia and Messenia were then called Lakedaimonia. that has no political reasons, just geographical. and furthermore, ancient Makedonia had a province called Mygdonia...

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 02:24

Not that it really does matter, but let's think about it rationally (and forget about the map):

Since the Spartans had the Messenians occupied and used them as slaves, why would they be called Lacedemonians if that determination included the slaves as well?

Some links with intersting info on the Spartan society:

http://www.anti-rev.org/textes/VidalNaquet92b/part-1.html

http://www.angelfire.com/empire2/cornersofhistory/greecespar ta.htm

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2005 at 14:04

what about this map?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>