Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turkish words in your language

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkish words in your language
    Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 15:20
DayI has a pont, "Er" is a very Turkic word, man/Soldier, maybe Ask-er is an Arabic-Turkic word? like Ordu-bad is Turkic-Persian, Ordu being Turkic bad being Persian for town.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Hushyar View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Hushyar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 15:36

Originally posted by Day1

askar isnt arabic origin,
ask- er, er actually means also a soldier but i believe with "ask" added it means weaponed soldier.

Originally posted by Bulldog

DayI has a pont, "Er" is a very Turkic word, man/Soldier, maybe Ask-er is an Arabic-Turkic word?
like Ordu-bad is Turkic-Persian, Ordu being Turkic bad being Persian for town.

I am not linguistist, And I don't claim on having a special knowledge on Turkic languages, but 'askar(glotal 'ayn a very classical Semitic sound) is a very well known word in Arabic litreature, for example in 10th century, Motannabi famous Arab poet, in Azadodlleh Deylami court, has a Qasideh which praise Azadodlleh Buyyid Amir that destroyed Vahsudan Army Deylami Amir of Azarbaijan.

which says:
nalta va mAnalta men mazrata vah sudhAn mANAla ra'yoho alfAsed
va layta yawmi fanA'a 'askarah  va lam takon Daniyan va ShAhed

And Every day you destroy his Army , although you were not present there or seeing it.

older in 9th centry:

11th Imam of Shiis and father of 12th Imam of Shiis (Imam Mahdi)is Imam Hasan 'askari becasue most of times he was in jail in military camps.

Is it possible for anybody to show me a similar time that this word ('askar) has been used in Turkic litreature?

Originally posted by BullDog

DayI has a pont, "Er" is a very Turkic word, man/Soldier, maybe Ask-er is an Arabic-Turkic word?

I can't accept that because Arabic language is different with persian and Turkish, in Arabic there is not preffix and suffix, foreign words that are borrowed can not combine with other words to produce compound words.so 'askar is completely Arabic or not.

And About er and 'askar, we have a similar Iranic word, Lashkar or Lashgar or Lashkir which has the same meaning of 'askar, And it has been used from  PreIslamic era, So what can we say ? was that borrowed too? How?

Originally posted by Bulldog

like Ordu-bad is Turkic-Persian, Ordu being Turkic bad being Persian for town.

Ordu might be  from  mongolian languages.

Bad Actually Abad if used as adjective means habitable,inhabited,cultivated
if used as suffix means  habitation.
it has been derived from Ab which which means water in Persian.(Dehkhoda Dictionary which is the most trusted source in Persian language)

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 16:15
Well "Er" has always been used as Soldier. Turks contributed alot of Millitary terms to other languages througout the ages but I 
 don't know about "Asker" you could be correct.

"Ordu" is Turkic, I don't know why you put Mongolian into the equationConfused

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Hushyar View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Hushyar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 23:44
I said "might be" which does not refute possibility of Turkish origin, but word "ordu" has entered persian language in Ilkhanid times and from mongolian language.
If Altaic Theory is correct, this word maybe common between two language groups, if it is not it may be borrowed, mongolian to Turkic languages or turkic to mongolian languages.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 10:30
Hushyar
but word "ordu" has entered persian language in Ilkhanid times and from mongolian language.

Aha I understand why you think its "Mongolian" now, however, it isn't, the Ilkhanids were Turkified from within, their soldiers were Turks and their clerks were Uygur Turks gradually after accepting Islam the ruling elite became more and more Turkified.

You could be correct about it being an "Altaic" word in this case it would be natural for both to use it. Maybe a Mongolian member can shed light on this.

Albert Pine

Hushyar View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Hushyar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 15:55

Well I don't want to enter the details of this discussion because here is a linguistic room and this discussion belongs to  Post classical mddle east, I just summarize your points (As I got it)and try to answer it.

1)In ilkhanid time Turkic language(which one ?) was official in Iran.
2)The Ilkhanid were Turkified within
3)Teir soldiers were Turks
4)Their clerks were uighur
5)gradually after accepting Islam the ruling elite became more and more Turkified.

my answer:

1)In Ilkhanid Time (and 50 years after Temuchin Conquest and Holagu) there were two divani languages Persian and mongolian which was written in Uighur scripts This condition continued unitl ghazan khan when Mongolian was used only for communication with great kHan.

2)Ilkhanid khaqans and princes and nobles considered themselves mongols and spoke mongolian(they want to seperate themselves from others) having Changiz blood or belong to original tribes of olus of changiz khan was considered a great honour.

3)not all of them, actually some of the elite tribes like sulduz and jalayer and some others were mongols and had special place, but this is true that as time passed Turkic tribes dominated the military.

4)in the first 50 years of mongol domination(before Hulagu) and even in times of Hulagu Chinese and uighur experts were used along the local administrative system, but as time passed Iranian dominated the administrative system.(from Joveyni to sa'doddolleh
to Rashideddin and others..)

5)Ruling elite always retained their mongolic identity until when the ilkhanid stopped and Abusa'id died.After that time in khorasan Sarbedaran sweeped any trace of mongols and in Azarbaijan, and Iraq, mongols and eastern turks were assimilated in oghuz culture.

in the end I just want to emphasis that in 13th century mongolian language was used along with persian in administrative system of Ilkhans.
from that era many turkic and mongolian words entered in Persian.

Tske View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Tske Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 17:27
SmileA vros nem biztos hogy turkish . hangok megvltznak. V_f R-L=fal falu
Ignoring facts is criminal
Tske View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Tske Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 17:30
SmileEr could be UR Guardian (egyptian)
Ignoring facts is criminal
Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 20:49
Arabic has quite a lot of Turkish words I think, some of the more common ones are:

Basha (Pasha)
Bey
Effendi
Abla (I think it means sister in Turkish?)
Oodah (I think it means "room" in Turkish?)

There's others I'm not sure about.
Does any Turkish speaker know if the word "Dulab" is from Turkish? It has two meanings in Arabic, one is "Wardrobe" and another is "Tyre".

However most of them are only used in the Arabic Vernaculars, and not in the formal/classical Arabic.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 13:57
Originally posted by Qutuz

Arabic has quite a lot of Turkish words I think, some of the more common ones are:

Basha (Pasha)
Bey
Effendi

Does any Turkish speaker know if the word "Dulab" is from Turkish? It has two meanings in Arabic, one is "Wardrobe" and another is "Tyre".

However most of them are only used in the Arabic Vernaculars, and not in the formal/classical Arabic.
dolab - dulab has the same meaning in Turkish as it has in arabic.
Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 14:24
Tashakur ederim DayI

Do you know if I was correct about "Oodah" being Turkish also?

And also do you know if Dolab originates from Turkish or is borrowed as well?
The Gypo View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote The Gypo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 17:35
Originally posted by Qutuz

Basha (Pasha)
Bey
Effendi

yes, this was somewhat confusing for me when i heard a classic lebanese song

a verse saying: dawalib e'seyara

i asked my mum what it meant and she translated it into egyptian arabic:

3agal el 3arabeya...meaning the wheels of the cart/car...(3 representing
ayn)
Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 22:39
aywah huwa keda bil 3ameeyah masreeyah.

The Gypo View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote The Gypo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 00:59
yea...the general public would speak it as such
Mordoth View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Mordoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 05:54

in Bosnjak Language ;

Dzamija = Cami (Actually transformed into Turkish from Arabic )
Sokak = sokak ( street )
Seftalija = Brestva = (Peach)Seftali 
Sandzak = Sancak ( Tug )
Secer = Seker ( Sugar )
Dugme = Dugme
Saraj = Saray ( Palace )
MAhalu = Mahalle ( District )

If Electricity Comes from Electrons ; does Morality come from Morons :|
Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 08:40
seker is also from Arabic (originally from Persian or Sanskrit though I think)
Likewise Mahalle is from the Arabic Mahal meaning "a place".
Tangriberdi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 21:29
Originally posted by Mordoth

in Bosnjak Language ;

Dzamija = Cami (Actually transformed into Turkish from Arabic )
Sokak = sokak ( street )
Seftalija = Brestva = (Peach)Seftali 
Sandzak = Sancak ( Tug )
Secer = Seker ( Sugar )
Dugme = Dugme
Saraj = Saray ( Palace )
MAhalu = Mahalle ( District )

Dzamija is Arabic
Sokak is also Arabic
Seftalija is not Turkish /dunno from what language.
Sandzak is Turkic from the verb sanch-*
Secer is of Sanskrit
Saray is Persian
Mahalu is Arabic
Dugme is Turkic it is from  the verb tug-*
kilic View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote kilic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 08:13
hello people, I am new, I trust your research skills. Smile
I have heard from  a Norwegian barman ,who was reading a book about ottoman military that, the word bazooka comes from bashibozuk s in the ottoman military. But I could not find any supporting idea in the net about it.

do you know anything about this?
Mordoth View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Mordoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 17:15
Since Turks taught those words ; It means , they are sent from Turkish into Bosniak language ..
Torba - Torba
Ovic - Oglu ( the son of )
e.g. I'm Markovic , the descends of Mark , Markoglu
bashibozuk
If Electricity Comes from Electrons ; does Morality come from Morons :|
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2006 at 09:03
Originally posted by kilic

hello people, I am new, I trust your research skills. Smile
I have heard from  a Norwegian barman ,who was reading a book about ottoman military that, the word bazooka comes from bashibozuk s in the ottoman military. But I could not find any supporting idea in the net about it.

do you know anything about this?
Bazooka is a word invented by Robin 'Bazooka' Burns. Has nothing to do with bashibozuks. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>