Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turkish words in your language

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkish words in your language
    Posted: 24-Jun-2006 at 03:39
Few words that I know which are turkish but used regulary in the Serbo-Croatian language

Avlija
Carsija
Kajsija
Carape
Skembici
Fildzan
Cufte
Cibuk

etc..I could probably name more but the brain is fried from Lasko and Niksicko beers, but this will suffice for now

CHEERS!
Alparslan1071 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Alparslan1071 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2006 at 16:17
Giannis bazaar i think coming from Persian.bazargan is trader in persian also.I have a question to Cyrus.Cyrus Window=Pencere is it coming from
Panch(Five) Chahra(Face)? is it like pentagon in persian.

when i was in Iran i have found lots of word we use together.

But also in Yugoslavia and Romaina and Bulgaria and greece.

Some words meaning are different. Kert is village in armenian but it become Kent in turkish.That means modern city in Turkish.

but in azerbaijan turkish it means village.

When i was a guest in a armenian tavern in Moscow  there was some food on the table.Kifte,Basturma,Sudjuk,Paner I told that i m very happy cause all the foods are familiar .They are turkish food.

Vartan (my armenian colique )told me that They are not turkish they are armenian.but even the origin of the names are turkish.

I understood that in this area everything ours.mixed.everything some turkish some armenian some greek some persian.

We can follow that point and become happy for that.anyone knows about the turkish speaking greeks?Karamanlica?

Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2006 at 10:01
Kert is village in armenian but it become Kent in turkish.

"Kert" has no relation with the Turkish word kand or kent. "Kent" is from Sogdian, maning "city".
Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Alparslan1071 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 07:19
basibozuk kardesim maybe you are correct.
but i think turks and armenians took it from Sogdian.
it become kand or kent in turkish and kert in armenian.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 14:10
Originally posted by Alparslan1071

basibozuk kardesim maybe you are correct.
but i think turks and armenians took it from Sogdian.
it become kand or kent in turkish and kert in armenian.
we took many words from arabic, persian and sogdian and gave it to others but in a Turkifed form.
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Alparslan1071 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 14:20
Bu mıntıkanın dayısı

where did you take this photo from?which movie?

Thank you and regards
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 19:50
Turkic words in English

Pasha
Turk. honorary title formerly given to officers of high rank, 1646, from Turk. pasha, earlier basha, from bash "head, chief" (no clear distinction between -b- and -p- in Turk.), Earlier in Eng. as bashaw (1534).   

bey
"governor of a Turkish district," 1599, from Turk. bey, a title of honor, the Osmanli equivalent of Turk. beg.

Seljuk
Turk. dynasty of 11c.-13c., 1603 (Selzuccian), from Turk. seljuq, name of reputed ancestor of the dynasty.

bosh
1834, from Turk., lit. "empty." Introduced and popularized in "Ayesha," popular romance novel by J.J. Morier (1780-1849).

hummus
1955, from Turk. humus "mashed chick peas."

dey (2)
1659, "title of a military commander in Muslim north Africa," from Turk. dai "maternal uncle," a friendly title used of older men, especially by the Janissaries of Algiers of their commanding officers. There were also deys in Tunis and Tripoli

pirogi
1854, from Yiddish, from Rus. pl. of pirog "pie," perhaps borrowed from the Turkic language of the Kazan Tatars (cf. Turk. borek).

sofa
1625, "raised section of a floor, covered with carpets and cushions," from Turk. sofa, from Ar. suffah "bench." Meaning "long stuffed seat for reclining" is recorded from 1717.

bridge (2)
card game, 1886 (perhaps as early as 1843), an alteration of biritch, but the source and meaning of that are obscure. "Probably of Levantine origin, since some form of the game appears to have been long known in the Near East" [OED]. One guess is that it represents Turk. *bir- "one-three," since one hand is exposed and three are concealed.

Cathay
1565, poetic name for "China," from M.L. Cataya, from Turk. Khitay, from Uighur Khitai, name of a Tatar dynasty that ruled Beijing 936-1122.

Cossack
1598, from Rus. kozak, from Turk. quzzak "adventurer, guerilla, nomad," from qaz "to wander

khan
c.1400, from Turk., lit. "lord, prince," contraction of khaqan "ruler, sovereign." Known in Europe since 13c., cf. L. chanis, Gk. kanes, O.Fr. chan.

kielbasa
1953, from Pol. kielbasa "sausage" (Rus. kolbasa), perhaps from Turk. kulbasti, "grilled cutlet," lit. "pressed on the ashes."

janizary
"elite Turkish infantry," 1529, from Fr. janissaire, from It. giannizzero, from Turk. yenicheri, lit. "new troops," from yeni "new" + cheri "soldiery." Formed 1362 from slaves and prisoners of war, ranks filled over the years from tributary children of Christians, abolished 1826.

uhlan
"cavalryman," 1753, from Ger. Uhlan, from Pol. ulan "a lancer," from Turk. oghlan "a youth." For sense evolution, cf. infantry.

yogurt
1625, a mispronunciation of Turk. yogurt, in which the -g- is a "soft" sound, in many dialects closer to an Eng. "w." The root yog means roughly "to condense" and is related to yogun "intense," yogush "liquify" (of water vapor), yogur "knead."

cassock
c.1550, from M.Fr. casaque "long coat," probably ultimately from Turk. quzzak "nomad, adventurer," (the source of Cossack), an allusion to their typical riding coat. Or perhaps from Ar. kazagand, from Pers. kazhagand "padded coat," from kazh "raw silk" + agana "stuffed."

odalisque
1681, "female slave in a harem," from Fr. odalisque (1664), from Turk. odaliq "maidservant," from odah "room in a harem," lit. "chamber, hall" + -liq, suffix expressing function. In Fr., the suffix was confused with Gk. -isk(os) "of the nature of, belonging to."

pastrami
1940, from Yiddish pastrame, from Rumanian pastrama, probably from Turk. pastrima, variant of basdirma "dried meat," from root *bas- "to press." The other possible origin of the Rumanian word is Mod.Gk. pastono "I salt," from classical Gk. pastos "sprinkled with salt, salted." Spelling in Eng. with -mi probably from influence of salami.

Urdu
official language of Pakistan, 1796, from Hindustani urdu "camp," from Turk. ordu (source of horde); short for zaban-i-urdu "language of the camp." Compare Dzongkha, a variant of Tibetan and the official language of Bhutan, lit. "the language of the fortress."

lackey
1529, "footman, running footman, valet," from M.Fr. laquais "foot soldier, footman, servant" (15c.), probably from O.Prov. lacai, from lecai "glutton, covetous," from lecar "to lick." Alternate etymology is via Fr. from Catalan alacay, from Arabic al-qadi "the judge." Yet another guess traces it through Sp. lacayo, from It. lacch, from Mod.Gk. oulakes, from Turk. ulak "runner, courier." This suits the original sense better, but OED says It. lacch is from French. Sense of "servile follower" appeared 1588. As a political term of abuse it dates from 1939 in communist jargon.

Ayran

Bashi-bazouk

Dolma
from the Turkish word for "filled" or "stuffed"

Doner
from dner

Turquoise
from Old French pierre turqueise (means "Turkish stone")

Shaman

Edited by Bulldog - 28-Jun-2006 at 19:51
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Shogun
Shogun

Quote Alparslan1071 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 00:52

thank you for your nice addition for this Topic.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 09:39
isnt pilaf turkish to?
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 10:35
Also we use the word bashi which is of turkish origin.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 10:46

Here is one but its not 100% agreed on,

The etymology of yarmulke is unclear. Some linguists (e.g. Max Vasmer) maintain that the Yiddish word is derived (via Ukrainian or Polish) from the Turkic yağmurluk, meaning 'rainwear'. Other linguists (e.g. Herbert Zeiden) regard this hypothesis as untenable but still believe a Turkic origin is likely, suggesting that the first part of the word may come from yarim, a Turkic adjective meaning 'half', while the second part may come from qap, a Turkic word for 'cap', 'shell', 'enclosure', or 'container'.

Traditionally, yarmulke is considered to have originated from the Aramaic phrase "yarei mei-elokah" (in awe of the Lord), in keeping with the principle that the yarmulke is supposed to reflect someone's fear of heaven. Or perhaps, "yira malkah" (fear of the King).

In Hebrew, the word kippah means dome.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Shogun
Shogun

Quote Alparslan1071 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 11:03
pilaf is turkish Leonidas thats correct.India they call pilov uzbeks call pilof and iran i remember pilav they call.

what s tarama mean in greek?we have tarama salat and
mousakka.tarama maybe greek?tarama is a verb in turkish
means to brush but there is no relation between that salat :) agree me leonidas?

Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 16:17
I guess "pilav" is Persian. May dishes made with pilav and rice are either of Persian or Azeri cuisine.

But when we are to talk about the common cuisine of Balkans, Near East and even Caucases, most of the names are derived versions from original Turkish forms, or from unknown origins, such as manti.
Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 16:28
I think we should open a topic about why turkish words are so much important. Because I remember we saw this type of topic much, and I dont remember any topic about english, german or russian words in
other langauges. do we have some complex?

Any idea?

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 17:16
Mortaza
Because I remember we saw this type of topic much, and I dont remember any topic about english, german or russian words in
other langauges.

Could you repeat the sentance above next time in English because its hard deciphering what on Earth your writting at times.

Well we have this

List of English words of foreign origin, it doesn't stem from any complex, its just interesting to know where some of the more "unusual" words stem from and the history behind this.

For example

assassin 
from حشاشين the Hashshashin. The word means "those who use hashish" (cannabis resin). According to Crusader histories, that group used to ingest hashish before carrying out military or assassination operations, in order to be fearless.

If you had ever studied, "English Language" or "History", etymology can have quite alot of importance and can be interesting to discover.

And if you have a complex, seek a psychiatrist the internet is not the place to take our your "frustrations" Wink

Regards

Edited by Bulldog - 29-Jun-2006 at 17:17
Albert Pine

erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 22:03
akal (Jackal  in english) is Turkish in origin? Didin't know that Smile
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 02:34
Could you repeat the sentance above next time in English because its hard deciphering what on Earth your writting at times.
But you understand it.  So  I dont need to repeat it english. If you didnot understand it, I would repeat it in Turkish.(So You can understand it better)

List of English words of foreign origin, it doesn't stem from any complex, its just interesting to know where some of the more "unusual" words stem from and the history behind this.

My turkish friend, English people dont open this type of topic, at least not a million time.

Plus  I am sure English nationalist wont treat like turks too. Maybe you need that psychiatrist kardes.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 03:14
moved to linguistics forum

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 06:18
Originally posted by Alparslan1071

pilaf is turkish Leonidas thats correct.India they call pilov uzbeks call pilof and iran i remember pilav they call.

what s tarama mean in greek?we have tarama salat and
mousakka.tarama maybe greek?tarama is a verb in turkish
means to brush but there is no relation between that salat :) agree me leonidas?
I dont speak greek so the other boys in here can answr it better. I asked my parents, they just say what it is with no meaning beyond the actaul mezze dish.

and when in doubt i go to the net...

Tarama is turkish link
salata is italian

Shogun
Shogun

Quote Alparslan1071 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 07:39
Dear Mortaza,

As you know Most of the turkish people grown up with Ataturk and his revelutions ,We think if we teach the other people turkish we communicate better with those people.But we are not like UK,France and Russia.They made their language first language in their colonies.

If you go to any old Ottaman Country ,Balkans and North Africa and Arabic peninsula they speak their native language.Or frenc or english language.if you go to central asia they speak russian.

So we do not have any complex about the turkish language.

I just want to communicate with other people with the turkish words in their language.Think it is like a game.

Hoşakal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>