Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turkish words in your language

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkish words in your language
    Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 17:22

Warning! All posts must correlate with the topic title, off-topic provocative posts will not be tolerated.

Edited by Zagros - 03-Apr-2007 at 21:41
Tangriberdi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 11:28
Originally posted by Zagros

Chaghoo - knife
Ghayegh - boat

Chaaqy is a Turkşc word from the verb chaq-
Qaayik is a word  the verb qay-

Edited by barbar - 06-Apr-2007 at 04:35
Tangriberdi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 11:20
Originally posted by DerDoc

• "Pasha" is derived from Persian "Pdschah", "King", which itself is derived from "Shh". Literary, it means "to the foot of an Emperor" (the prefix "pd" is related to modern Persian "py" , "foot", and Latin "pedes"). So, a "Pdshah" is a king, but not an Emperor ("Shh"). The highest level is "Shhanshh", "King of Kings".
That is not true, The word Pasha in Turkish unlike the word Padishah is of Turkish origin.  It is a corruption of Bash agha . In Antolian Turkish B>P changes in initials are usual. Bunar> Pinar , Well, Fountain, Barmaq>Parmak, Finger, Basdırma>Pastirma, akind of food

And Paşa is not a loan word. It is a local Turkic word. deriving from  almagamation of Bash and Agha, Head and Lord respectively.

Edited by barbar - 06-Apr-2007 at 04:35
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 07:39
I think Ghayegh must be Kayik in Turkish, meaning boat.
DerDoc View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote DerDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 04:29
"Ghayegh" is derived from Inuit "Qajaq" ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayak
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 20:05
Chaghoo - knife
Ghayegh - boat

DerDoc View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote DerDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 19:32
Ottoman was a mixed language, and most of its vocabulary was taken from either Arabic (the most important language of the Islamic world), Persian (the lingua franca of the eastern Islamic lands, and the language of literature and court), as well as French (the up-comming lingua franca of world politics back then). The Ottoman Empire was heavily influenced by Persian literature and culture, and as Bernard Lewis put it, "the Ottoman Turks brought a form of Iranian civilization to the walls of Vienna." ("The Iranians" by Bernard Lewis published in 2001 by Tel Aviv University's Mushe Dayan Center)

Here some Persian words in Ottoman Turkish and other languages influenced by it:

• "Pasha" is derived from Persian "Pdschah", "King", which itself is derived from "Shh". Literary, it means "to the foot of an Emperor" (the prefix "pd" is related to modern Persian "py" , "foot", and Latin "pedes"). So, a "Pdshah" is a king, but not an Emperor ("Shh"). The highest level is "Shhanshh", "King of Kings".
  • "Skembici" is also taken from Persian. It's root is the Persian word "Shikam", meaning "belly".
  • "Cufte" - derived from Persian "Koftah" - has the root "kbidan", meaning "to chopp meat".
  • "djam" is derived from Persian "jm", "cup"; it is also known from the mythical tale of "jme jam", the "Cup of King Jamshed", very popular in medieval Persian Sufi poetry.
  • "akal", the origin of the English word "Jackal" is taken from Persian "Shghl"
  • "opan" ("shepperd") is taken from Persian "shabn"; in fact, it is related to the English words "shepperd" and "sheep", as well as to the German words "Schaaf" and "Schfer" (by regular sound-changes of a <--> e/f <--> b)
  • "tekke" is taken from Persian "takiyah" (to lean, to rest, to seek refuge) OR from Arabic "taqiyah" (belief). In Persian, unorthodox mosques of Shia Sufis are known as "Takiyah-Khna" ("house of refuge")
  • "zseb"/"cep" is taken from Persian "jb", "pocket"
  • "hafta" ("week") is also taken from Persian; it has the root "haft" ("seven") and is related to the Greek word "hepta"
  • "Horoz" ("cock") is taken from Persian "Khors"; Anatolian Turkish usually replaces the [kh]-sound with [h] or [k]; that's why even certain Turkic words, such as Khan or Tarkhan become "Han" and "Tarkan"
  • "Baba" is taken from Persian "Bb" and is related to the European version "Papa". The Persian name "Bbak" means "little father". Its more ancient version is indeed "Papa" and "Papak", as was the name of the founder of the mighty Achaemenid dynasty.
  • "bostan" is taken from Persian "Bstn", meaning garden. The suffix "-stn" means "place" in Indo-Iranian languages, and thus "Bustn" is the "place of flowers".
  • "Seftalija" is taken from Persian "Shaftlu" ("Peach"). The word "lu" is used for many fruits, i.e. "lugls" ("cherry").
  • "Secer"/"Seker" is taken from Persian "shakkar" ("suggar"). It is indeed related to the English word, as well as to the Greek word "saccharos". 
  • "Saray" ("palace", actually "place of rest" such as in "caravansaray")
     is taken from Persian "sarrh". "sar" means "head" and "rh" means "way", literary it means "on the way" or, in a wider sense, "a place on the way to rest". "Caravansaray" means "a rest-place on the way for caravans")
  • "Dushmen" is derived from Persian "Dushman", itself originally an Avestan word.

Edited by Zagros - 03-Apr-2007 at 21:37
Mordoth View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Mordoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 18:34
IS not Turkish like attaching parts of Lego's to each other ?
I mean ; Turkish = Science + Mathematics
IF you are that clever , you could easily learn Turkish .
Am i True ?

It is not linguistically and gramatically complicated unlike the Eurolangs.
If Electricity Comes from Electrons ; does Morality come from Morons :|
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 14:24
Originally posted by pinguin

Well, we use that LOL.

Is there any other Turk word in Spanish that you know?

What about "Yurt"? is there any equevalant in Spanish?

Either make a history or become a history.
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 14:23
Originally posted by Kapikulu

What about yoghurt? I have heard that its roots are of Turkish origin, though I am without any relevant references.

And bulgur? Anybody has it in their own language?

Baklava?

"Yug" in Uyghur Turkish means clot.
"Yoghur" is a verb means "making clot", such as:

Hemir Yoghurush: making the powder flour into clots with water

Yoghurt can be a thing that become clot from other state. 
Either make a history or become a history.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 15:50

In Spanish there is not a single word from Turk that I am aware of.
Originally posted by Hellios

La palabra yogur procede del trmino turco yoğurt, que a su vez deriva del verbo yoğurmak. 

Well, we use that LOL.  Is there any other Turk word in Spanish that you know? 

The word "horde" is of Turk origin.
"Hordes of fans attended the football game & left the street in awful condition!"
"Han venido las hordas de aficionados al ftbol y dejaron la calle en mala condicion!"

Edited by Hellios - 07-Feb-2007 at 16:38
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 14:56

La palabra yogur procede del trmino turco yoğurt, que a su vez deriva del verbo yoğurmak.

Well, we use that LOL.

Is there any other Turk word in Spanish that you know?

Pinguin
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2007 at 14:24
Well, turks also have lots of words borrowed from Greeks, actually from Latin lang. which can be considered as Greek. Finns were never Turkic or Turkish. They were just Fin-Ugors, and as far as I know we (Turks) had mix with them in Huns Great Migration. They actually, some stayed with huns and some movet do Finland. I have also heard, which I am not sure about this one, that when Finns moved to norths-west, Rus tribes were pushed to move into Huns. But again, it may be just another myth - I would like to know more about this.
History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!
shinai View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote shinai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 18:17
Originally posted by chicagogeorge

In Greek we have many Turkish loan words.

Some off the top of my head;

Tzami=window
Breeki= coffee pot
Hadie= Hurryup
Aman= Oh my god
loukoumi= sweet

Just to name a few
 Sorry I got confused, what are Tzami and Breeki representing in Turkish?
Also looks like Haydi should be a Greek word use d by Turks.
 Aman and Loukoum are both Arabic.
chicagogeorge View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote chicagogeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 17:19
In Greek we have many Turkish loan words.

Some off the top of my head;

Tzami=window
Breeki= coffee pot
Hadie= Hurryup
Aman= Oh my god
loukoumi= sweet

Just to name a few
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 19:30
Turkish Delight seems to be a cause of controversy so I've opened another post about it.

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16806&PID=312645#312645
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 11:24
Dear Friends all over the world I wish you a happy New Year.

I add some Turkish words used by old Yugoslavia.
 Uydurma = asparagas, something not true=To ye neşto uydurma = It is asparagas
şenluce= şenlik= fest
paramparda= parampara= broken into many small parts
Ekonomaliye= (maliye)= finance
Aşikovanye i sevdisanye= aşk ve sevmek= amore and love
Hem.... hem = hem malo para, hem stiju kasno
başka= başka= other
cin= cin= Ghiny
şeytan=şeytan= devil
başka ye cin, başka ye şeytan= Ghine is deifferent, devil is deifferent
hava=hava = Air
kabadahiya=Kabadayı= shin head, a man without couse, a rough man
hara= hara= ronsom
yastık/pillow, yorgan, fincan/cup, kaşuka/spoon, peşkir/towel,  naluna/a kind of woodenshoe used in Hamams, cupriya/bridge,  sahatkula(clock turm),
Allah rahmet eyleye= Allah may save him
Bayram şerif mubarek ola= Happy and merry Holidays
Akşam-sabah hayrola= May day and night be save
Allah razi ola= May Allah mercy
and so on there are 5000 Turkish words used by old Yugos. 

One day a Bosniak met a Serb and said without Turkish words we can not sleep, we can not eat,
The Serb responded quickly "Yok Bre" (No Sir)
Yok =Turkish No
Bre= Turkish Man, Mate

I wish all  good Turkish words.

Edited by Tosun Saral - 30-Dec-2006 at 11:27
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 03:38

The word is Turkish but cultured milk products have been produced for at least 4,500 years elsewhere, like India for example.

Of course I was meaning yoghurt as a wordLOL

I think filo is of central Asian Turkic origin - yuvgha became yufka (a single sheet of phyllo in modern Turkish).

Filo in the modern Anatolian Turkish means fleet :)...But I get what you mean.

And further pursuant to your post to Pinguin in Spanish, I am truly amazed at your linguistic knowledgeClap

Edited by Kapikulu - 30-Dec-2006 at 03:40
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 02:35

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 02:22

What about yoghurt? I have heard that its roots are of Turkish origin, though I am without any relevant references.

The word is Turkish but cultured milk products have been produced for at least 4,500 years elsewhere, like India for example.

Baklava?

I think filo is of central Asian Turkic origin - yuvgha became yufka (a single sheet of phyllo in modern Turkish).

Edited by Hellios - 30-Dec-2006 at 02:26
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>