Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why not Hellas?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why not Hellas?
    Posted: 20-Dec-2004 at 05:12

the word Hellas or Hellines sounds better than the word Greece

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2004 at 06:32
Originally posted by azimuth

I couldn't agree more, but unforstunatelly Greece is what the country is known as now and it will (probably) never change.

The Germans are even worse, they're known as Germans, Deutch, Alleman, Tedeski (sp?) etc...

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
exodussian View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote exodussian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 20:09
We turks
We call greece as "Yunanistan".

We call greeks as "Yunanllar"

Yunanistan - Ionia
Yunan - ionian <--- comes from this root.

Bre , i dont know where hellen comes from ?  hellen of troja ?

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 20:25
No, from Hellen, the forefather of the Hellenes (Greeks).  The dame who caused all that trouble for Troy was called Helen (or just a little more accurately, Helene).  Note the single "l". 
Capt. Lubber View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Capt. Lubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2005 at 01:28
Funny thing is, the greeks call themselves hellenes, and their country Hells. The only other countries in the world who do that is Norway(Hellas), China(Xi La) and Viet Nam(Hy Lp). Bit odd, seeing as the rest of Europe call tham variations of Graecia.
Loke, Attila, the grete conqueror,
Deyde in his sleep, with shame and dishonour,
Bleedinge ay at the nose in dronkenesse,
A captayin shoulde live in sobrenesse
Bosnjo View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Bosnjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2005 at 18:58
Originally posted by Yiannis

Originally posted by azimuth

I couldn't agree more, but unforstunatelly Greece is what the country is known as now and it will (probably) never change.

The Germans are even worse, they're known as Germans, Deutch, Alleman, Tedeski (sp?) etc...

Njemci, is the word for Germans, in many slavic languages, it means mute people.

But the explenation that one Tribe gave the name for all, it seems plausible to me, because the romans gave a Continent ,  the name of the first tribe they had met there, the Afris.

I am heavely armed, entirely sick and extremly nationalistic.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2005 at 01:08
Actually it was the Greeks who named Africa, but never mind

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2005 at 23:38
The ancient Greek name for the African continent was "Libya".
Reynardkid View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Reynardkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2005 at 12:03

Originally posted by Sharrukin

No, from Hellen, the forefather of the Hellenes (Greeks).  The dame who caused all that trouble for Troy was called Helen (or just a little more accurately, Helene).  Note the single "l". 

Hi, I'm new here. Just read the topic.

Yes, Hellenes/Hellenas/Hellens came from a person named Hellen in Greek Myth.

But that was not Hellen of Troy.

According to Greek Myth, that was Hellen I, son of Deucalion I, who in turn was the son of Prometheus the Titan. The Greeks considered themselves the descendants of Hellen I.

After the Great Flood at the end of the Third Age, only 2 human beings survived, Deucalion I and his wife, Pyrrha, who found refuge on the Parnassus mountain. After the Jupiter commanded the Flood to cease, the couple came to a temple and received an oracle "Depart from the temple with head veiled and garments unbound, and cast behind you the bones of your mother" Since the human race was created by Prometheus from Earth, so the Earth is the Mother of all (Hence Mother Earth). They casted the stones over their shoulders. The stones began to grow soft and assume shape of humans. Thus came the human race renewed.

You can refer to Thomas Buffinch's Mythology

It makes more sense to desire what you don't have than to possess what you don't even feel for...
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2005 at 04:16
And Hellen was the father of Dorus, Aeolus, and Xuthus.  Xuthus was the father of Ion and Achaeus.  These in turn were the forefathers of the four Greek tribes; the Dorians, Aeolians, Ionians, and Achaeans.  The people which were originally stones were called Leleges.  These were said to have populated Laconia (separate legend of Lelex, first ruler of Lacedaemon), Megara, the Aegean, and southwestern Anatolia, before the Greek tribes settled in those regions.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 23:54

The use of the name 'Hellas' is a relatively new phenomena even compared to the use of name "Greece' in todays modern Greece. The original word for 'Greek' by todays modern Greeks was 'Romiosini' reflecting the multi-cultural background (Albanian, Vlach, Gypsie, Turkish etc) of the majority of the population of modern Greece.

'Romiosini' was simply the Ottoman term for a Christian in the Balkan region and the terms 'Greece' and 'Hellas' were only adopted after the creation of the modern Greek state as part of the nation building process. The adoption of the modern Greek langauge (a langauge at that stage confined mostly to eastern Orthodox Church litergy until then) and the introduction of the continuity myth (the myth of direct descent from the ancient Hellenes) were to become the most important factors in the creation of modern Greece.

So successful were the above efforts in the creation of modern Greek national identity that many modern Greeks today forget (or simply don't want to remember) that their grandparents or great grandparents were Albanians, Turks, Vlachs, Gypsies etc. The whole issue is a very controversial topic for modern Greeks, who when reminded of these facts, predictably react with anger and hostility.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 04:39

Originally posted by The Cable Guy

many modern Greeks today forget (or simply don't want to remember) that their grandparents or great grandparents were Albanians, Turks, Vlachs, Gypsies etc.

Something tells me that you're one of the Slavomacedonians (FYROMians) that were banned some time ago!

We intend to keep the peace in this forum, so please keep in mind that continuing to post posts that are (not so cleverly) intented to provoke, will get you banned!

Alternative history is one thing, provocation is another. So if you don't have anything inteligent to post, just stay mute...

PS

That "Romiosini" part was soooo ignorant....

Edited by Yiannis

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 05:41

Something tells me that you're one of the Slavomacedonians (FYROMians) that were banned some time ago

Actually this is the first time I've been on this forum.

FYROMiam

Sorry to disappoint you but my parents were born in the village of Dambeni in northern Greece.

...many modern Greeks today forget (or simply don't want to remember) that their grandparents or great grandparents were Albanians, Turks, Vlachs, Gypsies etc...

Alternative history is one thing, provocation is another. So if you don't have anything inteligent to post, just stay mute

As I said before, the whole issue is a very controversial topic for modern Greeks, who when reminded of these facts, predictably react with anger and hostility...you've just proven yourself to be a perfect example of this.

As for the term 'romiosini', you may try to convince people who don't know any better, but you won't succeed with somebody from the region. Although the term may slowly be dying out, almost everybody in Greece over the age of 40 still uses it today.

Edited by The Cable Guy
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 06:41

Sorry to disappoint you but my parents were born in the village of Dambeni in northern Greece.[quote]

oh, ok then. And where were you born?

[QUOTE=The Cable Guy]As I said before, the whole issue is a very controversial topic for modern Greeks, [quote] what is controversial is your meaningless posting. I'm not here to prove racial purity of anyone, as this is simply impossible and in anycase I don't believe in it.

Last but not least, Romiosini derives (obviously) from Romios, which derives from the Byzantine Greek past when Greeks identified themselves as Romioi (Romans). The word Hellenas back then was tainted by the Christians as heathen, so Greeks that became Christians prefered the term Roman in contrast to those who remained believers of the 12 Gods.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 07:47

oh, ok then. And where were you born?

I was born in Salonica but have grown up in melbourne, Australia.

what is controversial is your meaningless posting. I'm not here to prove racial purity of anyone, as this is simply impossible and in anycase I don't believe in it

If you don't believe in such nonsense as 'racial purity', then why are you geting so upset. The fact is that modern Greece is a relatively new state created through the assimilation of a wide variety of ethnically diverse peoples under the myth of continuity (descent from the ancient Hellenes) and the adoption of the modern Greek language.  As I said before, and you yourself have proved, this topic is a very controversial issue for modern Greeks.

Romiosini derives (obviously) from Romios, which derives from the Byzantine Greek past when Greeks identified themselves as Romioi (Romans)

Sorry Yiannis, but this rubbish. Firstly, what exactly is the "Byzantine Greek past"? The Byzantine empire was nothing more then the Eastern Roman empire. The only thing 'Greek' about it was the abandonment of Latin and the adoption of Greek as the langauge of state administration and church litergy. The reason for choosing Greek was because in the eastern Mediterranean during that period, Greek was the common language of trade, diplomacy for the all the different races in that region, and not because the empire was 'Greek'. The is the reason why the various ethnic groups in the area of todays modern Greece all referred to themselves as 'Romios' during the Ottoman period and NOT 'Greek' or 'Hellene' as they had absolutey no knowledge of what ancient Greece was or who ancient Greeks were. It was not until the Philhellenism of the English and Germans and the creation of the modern Greece state that most modern Greeks learned about the history of the ancient Hellenes.

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 10:24
The Greek language continued to be used in everyday life during the Byzantine Period, not just in the government and liturgy.  Discontinuity is therefore false.  While it is true that "Roman" was used for peoples of various origins, not just Greek, the core of the Eastern Roman Empire was Greek-speaking.  This became specifically clear when the northern Balkans became Slavic-speaking, the Middle East, Arabic-speaking, and Anatolia, Turkic-speaking (to put it simply, of course).
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 17:24

Hi Sharrukin,

One thing you are all forgeting is that Byzantium and Constantinople were very multi-racial places. The fact that Greek was already used in everday life (although largely confined to educated persons etc), as a common langauge of communication for all the various ethnic groups, is the main reason why Latin was abandoned.

There is a big distinction between being a 'Greek speaker' and actually being 'Greek', showing the continuity theory to be false when considering the fact the the overwhelming majority of the population of Byzantium weren't actually 'Greek'.

The point I was trying to make in my original post was that area of Greece during the formation of the modern Greek state was a very ethnically diverse place where the various ethnic groups simply referred to themselves as 'Romios' meaning Christian and not 'Greek' or 'Hellene', as they had absolutely no knowledge of Hellenic history or what an ancient Hellene actually was. The majority of the ancestors of todays modern Greeks only became aware of Hellenic history after learning about it from their English, French and German sponsors during the creation of the modern Greek state in the 1830's. The adoption of the continuity myth of direct descent from the ancient Hellenes and creation of the modern Greek langauge were to become the main factors in the formation of the modern Greek national identity. Thus terms such as 'Greek' or 'Hellene' are somewhat artifical today considering that less then 170 years ago the terms were largely unknown.

Edited by The Cable Guy
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2005 at 03:52
One thing you are all forgeting is that Byzantium and Constantinople were very multi-racial places. The fact that Greek was already used in everday life (although largely confined to educated persons etc), as a common langauge of communication for all the various ethnic groups, is the main reason why Latin was abandoned.

There is a big distinction between being a 'Greek speaker' and actually being 'Greek', showing the continuity theory to be false when considering the fact the the overwhelming majority of the population of Byzantium weren't actually 'Greek'.

As someone has already pointed out, Byzantium/Constantinople was a Greek foundation, dating from about 660 BC (three precise foundation dates vary by 11 years around the 660 BC date).  It also needs to be pointed out that its geographic foundation cannot be viewed in isolation, since another Greek foundation at Chalcedon was founded on the other side of the Bosporus Strait, about 685 BC.  On the European side, Byzantium shared the region with Perinthus, founded by Greeks about 600 BC.  In all three sites, the impetus of colonization was from the Megarians, although the last was actually established by the Samians. 

Now, their Greek character remained intact, even when the Romans established their new capital at Byzantium.  Latin was the language of administration, but Greek remained the language of everyday life, until the reign of Heraclius, when Greek regained the status of the language of administration.  While it may be true that "Romans" were more than just Greeks, the Byzantines themselves did not forget about the significence of "Hellas".  It was the name of one of the Byzantine themes in Greece itself, encompassing in its greatest extent, the Peloponnese, Euboea, Attica, Boeotia, central Greece, and southern Thessaly.  It existed from c. 690 to 1204 when the Crusaders conquered Greece, divided it up into various kingdoms and duchies, discarding the name Hellas.  The Byzantines eventually regained a large part of their Greek possessions, (1261-2), but did not revive the name Hellas.   The Ottomans conquered Constantinople in 1453 and the last Byzantine territory in Greece, the Morea (the Peloponnese) was conquered by 1460.   

So, there was continuity, both on a linguistic level as well as geography.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2005 at 08:14

The use of the name 'Hellas' is a relatively new phenomena even compared to the use of name "Greece' in todays modern Greece. The original word for 'Greek' by todays modern Greeks was 'Romiosini' reflecting the multi-cultural background (Albanian, Vlach, Gypsie, Turkish etc) of the majority of the population of modern Greece.

'Romiosini' was simply the Ottoman term for a Christian in the Balkan region and the terms 'Greece' and 'Hellas' were only adopted after the creation of the modern Greek state as part of the nation building process. The adoption of the modern Greek langauge (a langauge at that stage confined mostly to eastern Orthodox Church litergy until then) and the introduction of the continuity myth (the myth of direct descent from the ancient Hellenes) were to become the most important factors in the creation of modern Greece.

So successful were the above efforts in the creation of modern Greek national identity that many modern Greeks today forget (or simply don't want to remember) that their grandparents or great grandparents were Albanians, Turks, Vlachs, Gypsies etc. The whole issue is a very controversial topic for modern Greeks, who when reminded of these facts, predictably react with anger and hostility.

As for the last, through ages the identitiy of many Greeks was changed to Turk, Albanian, Slavic, Bulgaric etc.

So in fact, with the creation of modern Greece, nothing else happened but most of the greeks that had lost their identity (you loose your identity if you don't have a state), found back their identity in the new Hellas.

In fact, it can not be denied that there is always been a continuation of history and culture of 4000 years.

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2005 at 21:27

I will agree with you on the fact that there is a big difference on being a Hellinic speaker and being a Hellin, but I don't recall anyone saying that the Byzantine empire was only "populated" by Hellines.
That is exactly why the Hellines had always distinguished themselves.

You mention "Rwmiosunh" (w=omega, h=hetta), but you neglect to mention the actual use of this "term".
All members of the Byzantine empire were, "named" "Rwmaioi", with one great difference, the word Hellines had became a synonym to "heathen" (see christian persecutions of the "old-faith") so the "term, "Rwmioi" was developed, to clearly distinguish the Hellinic Orthodox members of the "GENOS"= (gender, blood) while the term "Rwmaioi" was used to indicate all Orthodox christian members of the empire in general.

T The majority of the ancestors of todays modern Greeks only became aware of Hellenic history after learning about it from their English, French and German sponsors during the creation of the modern Greek state in the 1830's.The adoption of the continuity myth of direct descent from the ancient Hellenes and creation of the modern Greek langauge were to become the main factors in the formation of the modern Greek national identity. Thus terms such as 'Greek' or 'Hellene' are somewhat artifical today considering that less then 170 years ago the terms were largely unknown.

So according to you, the Hellines had no knowledge of their past.
Then why would Theodoros Kolokotronis among many others (war of independence1821), say that they must fight and even die if nessesary, for the "rocks" their ancestors left them.
Do you probably believe that the church let them forget?

We could always look up Giorgos Gemistos Plethon(13th century).
Or just take it a bit further back(approx. 5th cent). Where we will find the even today, "damnations" of Plato and the Platonic ideas as sinfull and corrupt by the Orthodox church.(on Orthodox Sunday)

During the first siege of Thessaloniki by the Turks (1383-1387), King Manuel Palaeologus, in his speech "Admonition to the people of Thessaloniki", urges the inhabitants to fight to death, fot this is what their historical tradition decrees: "because we are Romioi (= Hellines) and our country is the one of Philip and Alexander".
This means that he, as well as the inhabitants, were conscious of the historical continuity of Hellenism and of their Hellinic origin which had its roots in ancient times.

See B. Laourdas, Ο "Συμβουλευτ ;ικός πρός τούς Θεσσαλονικ είς" τού Μανουήλ Κο_ 6;νηνού [= Manuel Komnenos' speech "Admonition to the people of Thessaloniki"], Makedonika 3 (1953-55), p. 297, 21-22; Cf. also p. 291, 1.

that their grandparents or great grandparents were Albanians, Turks, Vlachs, Gypsies etc

Interesting?!?!?!? I guess.

Just one major problem here. The available data does demonstrate that any potential introgression into the Hellinic gene pool were minor and did not replace the indigenous people.

Albanians:
Origins "unknown", already being discussed in a different topic

Turks
Now this is actually good.
I assume you are reffering to the occupation of Hellas.
Where are the Mongolian/ pure Turkish features. That are not particularly dark but rather reddish-yellow and Mongol-like, with high cheekbones and a fold of skin over the eyes. that would prove such a mix?

Genetic research proves the total absence of any non-caucasian elements in the modern Hellinic gene pool, while with modern day Turks the story is quite different.

"The researchers found that interbreeding between Europeans and Asians occurred much earlier than previously thought. They also found DNA sequences similar to those in present-day Turks, supporting the idea that some of the Turkish people originated in Mongolia."
July 25, 2003

source:
http://www.genomenewsnetwork.org/articles/07_03/ancient.shtm l

Actually, most modern Turks can actually say that they are partly of "Hellinic stock" than the other way around, which is why they are not predominantly Mongoloid, remember the Jannissary???

Vlachs
The Vlachoi were nothing more than Latinized Hellines.
The theory of their origins to be somewhere in C.Europe, mentions that this "migration" allegedly took place in (depends on the source) either during the 7th, 9th, 10th,12th, I've even seen a tzech source mention 17th cent.
But unfortunately for all, that attempt to claim the Vlachs as their own people that "migrated" towards Hellas, the first written evidence of the Vlach' s language we have that of the Byzantine collumnists, Theophanis is and Theophylactus (579 A.D.) while the word Vlahs (Armani) was mentioned for the first time in 976 A.D. from Kedrinos.

You see Vlahs (Armani) were not known with this name but with the word "Armani". This word derives from the "Romanus lives" and it is related to the decree of Karakala (Edictum Antonianium), 212 A.D. According to this decree, the right of the Roman citizen was passed on to all the residents of the whole Roman province.

If we were to accept that they were a foreign (non-Hellinic) people, why is there no mention of them in various Turkish or European sources, as we find the Slavs, Bulgarians and Albanians clearly being destinguished from Hellines?
See: Pouqueville (Voyage en Grece) Leak (Travels in Northern Greece), Heuzey (1858) Kouzinery (Voyages en Macedoine) Berard (Turkish domination and Hellenism), Wace- Thomson (Nomads of Balkans)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>