Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

God or Allah?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: God or Allah?
    Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 09:40
The main issue in my honest opinion is mutual exclusivity. Most religious groups tend to consider that they uphold the only veritable truth and as a coincidence all the other groups are seen as infidels or heretics who are destined to the hell-fire. Religion should be open to everyone and no one should be able to judge others based on their mutual differences, as great as they could be.

Best case in point would be Judaism. In Judaism, other religious people who don't necessarily follow the Tanakh as they do are not considered as outsiders who can't reach God's mercy and might also have a place in the 'world to come'. Some sects of Judaism have of course, historically, enclosed the religion so as only Hebrews could enter Heaven and follow the commandments. Yet I do not see this as a teaching based on Torah, but rather a later Talmudic addition (sages opinions).

Technically from the Jewish perspective, anyone who adheres to the Noahide Laws and is a good person (Ger Tzedeq) may have a place in the world to come and this would include Christians and Muslims as long as they don't commit idolatry (Avodah Zarah).

The paths may differ but if the goal is one, why so much dispute?
Timidi mater non flet
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2012 at 19:11
Certain irrefutable truths are common to Judaism, Islam and Christianity: there is only one God who must be appeased with prayer; don't kill, rape or steal; there are prophets capable of interpreting God's commands; there is life after death; and the first prophet was Abraham. The only divisions are the subsequent prophets each sect follows, each of whom emphasised certain teachings over others
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 19:52
They all are divided on major parts of their religion and to compromise would deatroy each of their faiths.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 19:49
Centrix made an excellent point: everyone worships the same God, but sheer narrow-mindedness prevents them from getting on with each other. If every Christian, Jew and Muslim put aside their differences and helped other adherents of Moses' law, the world would be a much better place
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 01:57
using it and ......defining it....Based on the historical and cultural context in which their theological practices and beliefs were developed..... And is yet continued to this day. With very little modification.Wink
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

d' artagnan View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 01:25
So the problems not the term. Its the people using it.
Hunter Johns

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."
— Col. Chesty Puller | Korean War
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 00:59
Pointless?

Depends on whether your a Hebrew-Jew, Christian, Muslim.....Arab Christian or any number of other sects who hold the Ancient One dear.....And they have yet to agree in totality. And...therein lies the rub.
Because they dont agree.

S. T. Friedman

d' artagnan View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2012 at 19:52
Isn't this kind of a pointless topic as the first page of the second chapter(the cow according to the copy I have might be wrong I don't know) says that the christian god is the same as the moslem god. So sayin god allah or any other name for any of the three great religions god is essentially the same as any other.

Semper Fidelis
Hunter Johns

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."
— Col. Chesty Puller | Korean War
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2012 at 19:34
"Lord of the Future" is a great argument for predestination: everything happens because God has already decided
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2012 at 09:15
Originally posted by Nick1986

So if Yahweh "will be" God in the future, was this the creator God referring to his own immortality, or was it actually his son Jesus communicating with Abraham?

No one on this forum (or any other for that matter) can adequately address that with any real veracity.
My recommendation? Contact one of the two I have highlighted in your post.Wink

S. T. Friedman

General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2012 at 08:16

So if Yahweh "will be" God in the future, was this the creator God referring to his own immortality, or was it actually his son Jesus communicating with Abraham?

I think it's meaning is simply that God is Lord of the future as well as present for which reason he shall be as he is now. But you might be right as per Christian theology.
Timidi mater non flet
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2012 at 19:37
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2012 at 14:31

Originally posted by Baal Melqart

According to this translation, God's real name is not "I Am" but Ahyh: "I Will Be." It's also been suggested he was called Elohim
http://www.yhwh.com/godsrealname.htm

I thought it was Yihyeh Asher Yihyeh "I shall be whom I shall be"

Doesn't that mean the same thing: "I am" in the future tense?

exactly, that was pretty much my point.
Timidi mater non flet
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2012 at 19:57
Originally posted by Baal Melqart

According to this translation, God's real name is not "I Am" but Ahyh: "I Will Be." It's also been suggested he was called Elohim

Doesn't that mean the same thing: "I am" in the future tense?
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2012 at 00:39
Originally posted by Gharanai

Over centuries, we have seen that people are called by their name, whether he is in Asia, Europ, Africa or Americas the name still will be the same for example if an American is called "Jone", I am sure that he is also called "Jone" in any other language of the world, same goes with an Arab named "Ahmad", he would be called "Ahmad" all around the world.

My point here is to discuss the name of the one and only Allmighy "Allah". Most of the times I have come to see the word "God" used for "Allah", My question from my fellow muslim brothers and sisters is whether it is right to use "God" instead of "Allah" or not? (To me: It's a sin to use it.)

We (muslims) do believe that there is Only one Allah and no one but Allah and who don't has any gender, and is made of light (noor).

Below are the meanings for both of the words, now it's upto you all to decide whether to use it or not and whether it's a sin or not.

Allah: The personal name of the one true creator in Islam. Nothing else can be called Allah. The term has no plural or gender. From the 112th sura of the Qur'an Sharief: "In the name of God, the Merciful, the Compassionate. Say (O Mohammad) He is God the One God, the Everlasting Refuge, who has not begotten, nor has been begotten, and equal to Him is not anyone." Reference:

God:

1. A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity (as Goddess could be used for a femal type) thought to control some part of nature or reality.
  2. An image of a supernatural being; an idol.
  3. One that is worshiped, idealized, or followed: Money was their god.
  4. A very handsome man.
  5. A powerful ruler or despot.

Reference:

Now my dear muslim brothers and sisters do consider on the bold and underlined words and phrases above, then let me know of what you think.

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=6>Isn't it best to use "Allah" instead of "God" ?

The ancient Hebrews or Jews had many names for their God but really the word God is just a title. One name was so sacred that a Jew would not utter it, Yahweh or often rendered Jehovah. You can find this in the Torah or Old Testement.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2012 at 21:29

Timidi mater non flet
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2012 at 19:26
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2012 at 19:06
Originally posted by Abudhar

THANKS Brother GHARANAI for such high inspiring issue as Muslims we have the 99 names of the Exalted Allah according to the teachings of the holy Quran which stress:

"And to Allah belong the best names, so invoke Him by them. And leave [the company of] those who practice deviation concerning His names. They will be recompensed for what they have been doing.Holy Quran (180), but still other God's Names & Attributes such as God in Latin , or KHUDA In Farsi are welcomed as long as they are intended to invoke the SOLE CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE!!!!!

Names of Allah in the Quran do not refer to his ACTUAL name the same way Yahweh to Jews refers to his actual name which is why it is prohibited for them to mention it. This concept simply means that Allah has names referring to his abilities and attributes which are infinite: The Merciful, the Holy, the King, All-Powerful.... etc

These are only names that allow us humans to refer to God and understand him more. Allah is not his personal name and best proof of this is the fact that Arab Christians call him Allah although the Old Testament sayis his name is YHWH.

Timidi mater non flet
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2012 at 16:11
Apollo is essentially known as a sun god only after the 3rd Ce. BC. Prior to that he is and continues as a representation of light.. truth... prophecy...healing...bringer of sickness and plague... music and poetry.

During the aforementioned he superseded Helios.

Zeus was the chief of gods in the pantheon and is the ruler of the sky and thunder... but not entirely of storms or wind; he sub-let that responsibility to others....complex shitt. No doubt they were either drunk or high when they attempted this ideological-theological creation. Not buying a etymological relationship between Greek and Arabic and Zeus and Allah or Apollo and Allah....to many sme's disagree.

See the link.

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2012 at 19:28
Originally posted by medenaywe

Latin "DeUS"=Devine mouth presents,Zeus had had different phonemes DzE...Dze mouth presents!ALaH=Victim-like wing arrows!(He)I believe it is combined God&God of Time presentation even if there are more than one possibility of voices:ALLaH=Victim-like spark wings arrow!(He decide about your death and arrow that follows it?!?)All Presentations of God we have shared long time ago from the very beginning of human kind.Especially Med Sea cultures people.
P.S.
Dze are footprints of Goddess on "stone sky" above and we knew it as Sun God!

Wasn't the sun god Apollo? Zeus was the god of thunder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>