Print Page | Close Window

God or Allah?

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Post-Classical Middle East
Forum Discription: SW Asia, the Middle East and Islamic civilizations from 600s - 1900 AD
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10543
Printed Date: 28-Apr-2024 at 16:32
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: God or Allah?
Posted By: Gharanai
Subject: God or Allah?
Date Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 15:37

Over centuries, we have seen that people are called by their name, whether he is in Asia, Europ, Africa or Americas the name still will be the same for example if an American is called "Jone", I am sure that he is also called "Jone" in any other language of the world, same goes with an Arab named "Ahmad", he would be called "Ahmad" all around the world.

My point here is to discuss the name of the one and only Allmighy "Allah".
Most of the times I have come to see the word "God" used for "Allah", My question from my fellow muslim brothers and sisters is whether it is right to use "God" instead of "Allah" or not?
(To me: It's a sin to use it.)

We (muslims) do believe that there is Only one Allah and no one but Allah and who don't has any gender, and is made of light (noor).

Below are the meanings for both of the words, now it's upto you all to decide whether to use it or not and whether it's a sin or not.

Allah:
The personal name of the one true creator in Islam. Nothing else can be called Allah. The term has no plural or gender. From the 112th sura of the Qur'an Sharief: "In the name of God, the Merciful, the Compassionate. Say (O Mohammad) He is God the One God, the Everlasting Refuge, who has not begotten, nor has been begotten, and equal to Him is not anyone." http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Allah&gwp=11&curtab=2222_1&linktext=Allah - Reference:

God:

1. A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity (as Goddess could be used for a femal type) thought to control some part of nature or reality.
  2. An image of a supernatural being; an idol.
  3. One that is worshiped, idealized, or followed: Money was their god.
  4. A very handsome man.
  5. A powerful ruler or despot.

http://www.answers.com/god?gwp=11&ver=1.0.6.171&method=3 - Reference:

Now my dear muslim brothers and sisters do consider on the bold and underlined words and phrases above, then let me know of what you think.

Isn't it best to use "Allah" instead of "God" ?

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 15:47

Is this April fools too? Seems like ur being serious.

In Iran they say Khoda. doesn't matter, for religious people it isn't a name, god does not have a name, they are words used to refer to the entity that is god/allah etc, for people of an abrahamic persuasion at least.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 16:46
It really isn't an april fool at all, I know that different people calls Allah with different names as in pashtu we call "Ceshtan" but what I want to clearify is that why not to use the word "Allah" nothing else.

-------------

Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 18:13
Well, Allah is in Arabic, God in English, Deus in Latin, jainkoa in Basque, Tien in Chinese... it's just words, you know. Or are you one of those Muslims that worship words too? 

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: Suren
Date Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 18:36
Originally posted by Maju

Well, Allah is in Arabic, God in English, Deus in Latin, jainkoa in Basque, Tien in Chinese... it's just words, you know. Or are you one of those Muslims that worship words too? 

I am agree with maju. there are just names refering to one thing. you can use whichever you want.

BTW, Garanai what does your signature means" khepelvaki ....ghazni"?

-------------
Anfører

Posted By: Imperator Invictus
Date Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 18:40
Yep, the terms are equivalent. The only difference is the difference in language.

It would be like saying that we should use "Deus" rather than "God."

Posted By: Paul
Date Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 19:33
Come on we all now that Allah, God, Khoda, Jehova, Paul, Deus ect are just colloqualisms for the dieties one true name - Google. Which is the same in all language. (except Thai, then it's Googan)

-------------
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk - http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk - http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 01-Apr-2006 at 21:35

Originally posted by Paul

Come on we all now that Allah, God, Khoda, Jehova, Paul, Deus ect are just colloqualisms for the dieties one true name - Google. Which is the same in all language. (except Thai, then it's Googan)

My Turkish friend pronounces Google as Gog-Lay.

Date Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 06:43

I agree with all of you but my point was that God could be used to any one with something extraordinary like just take an example of a cricketer "Sachin Tendulkar" he is said to be a god of cricket. what do you get by that then.

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 06:54

Originally posted by sirius99

BTW, Garanai what does your signature means" khepelvaki ....ghazni"?

Dear Sirius99,
In reply to your question my signature "Da khepelvaki satandoa Gharanai" means "Savior of Independence, Mountainous".

khepelvaki = Independence
Satandoa = Savior
Gharanai = Mountainous

And that is not ghazni but Gharanai (my name)!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 06:57
Or you may translate it in persian as "Negahban Aazadi, Kohi" it means our independence is saved by our nature, our Mountains.

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 07:12

Originally posted by Gharanai

I agree with all of you but my point was that God could be used to any one with something extraordinary like just take an example of a cricketer "Sachin Tendulkar" he is said to be a god of cricket. what do you get by that then.

Dear Gharanai it's all a matter of perception.I am not a muslim but have many muslim friends.In India generally a muslim won't use the word God instead of Allah unless he considers English his mother tongue.If you wish I will explain more.

Date Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 10:15
Originally posted by My View

Dear Gharanai it's all a matter of perception.I am not a muslim but have many muslim friends.In India generally a muslim won't use the word God instead of Allah unless he considers English his mother tongue.If you wish I will explain more.

Got what you wanted to tell, but still I would insist on using the word (Allah) , I guess it's up to ones' thinking!

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 10:18

Got what you wanted to tell, but still I would insist on using the word (Allah) , I guess it's up to ones' thinking!

Yes Dear Gharanai.Each to his way.

Posted By: Suren
Date Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 15:20

Or you may translate it in persian as "Negahban Aazadi, Kohi" it means our independence is saved by our nature, our Mountains.

thanks

-------------
Anfører

Posted By: The Charioteer
Date Posted: 05-Apr-2006 at 11:35

Tian was used by the Zhou dynasty. Before that, the Shang used the term Di. As Diin HuangDi(the yellow emperor)&/orHuangDi(emperor).

But, Chinese term Dioriginally referred to ancestor. For example, In Shang oracle bone inscriptions, later Shang sovereigns would call WuDing(a famous Shang King) as Di Ding.

The character Diin its early form looked like a pistil & a stamen of a plant, its probably the result of an agricultural society, in which it symbolized fertility, thus to have a flourishing population, and to have a generation come down to the next.

It might had been entitled to those most important HuaXiachieftains, such as legendaryfive Dis, and the Yellow&Fire emperors(HuangDi&YanDi).It was a reference to ancestry and linage during Shang dynasty, Dias paramount godsin ancient China meant ancestors.

The Zhou was one of most important vassals of the Shang dynasty. From some Zhou inscriptions of their divination practice, the Zhou also worshiped Shang gods, demonstrates strong cultural link between the two. Nevertheless, when the Zhou came to rule, they replaced the word Diwith Tian(literally means sky) was because they are situated to far west. Whereas the Shang in the central plain could get abundance of tortoise-shells for their oracle bone writings as they are the overlord.

But, Zhou as a vassal state to inland western province of ShannXi would hardly get those materials. So the Zhou developed a way by using astronomy(Tian) and calculation(Shu, threads made of plans to count) for those divination practices. Its because of this special emphasis of Zhou culture, that the concept of Tianreplaced Diwhen they came to rule.

The Character Tianin its pictographic form, looked like a man stands facing front, with a round object on his head. As if worshiping it.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Apr-2006 at 13:54
Wao, Very nice information included dear The Charioteer, really didn't know about it before.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Apr-2006 at 14:35
So you say charioteer that I was wrong when using Tien for God in Chinese and that I should have used Di instead?

(Notice that your characters are seen strange for those of us that don't have a Chinese font loaded, you may prefer to use images instead).

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: Cywr
Date Posted: 05-Apr-2006 at 14:42
if an American is called "Jone", I am sure that he is also called "Jone" in any other language of the world

Not necessarily, for example, John in English becomes Jan in Dutch, Johan in German and Juan in Spanish

Anyways, isn't Allah supposed to have like 99,000 names or something?

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 06-Apr-2006 at 16:41

Originally posted by Cywr

if an American is called "Jone", I am sure that he is also called "Jone" in any other language of the world

Not necessarily, for example, John in English becomes Jan in Dutch, Johan in German and Juan in Spanish

Dear Cywr,
First of all I would like to say that whether it's English, Dutch or any other language, the position of alphabets could change or even there could be some addition or substraction of charecters, but still the name will not change, you see John, Jan, Johan, and Juan.

What we are talking about is Allah and God, which looks to me completly different and what I realy meant was that the word "God" is not proper as it has plural form along with a option of gender (Goddess) and where Allah is one and no one knows whether Allah is male of female.

Secondly there are 99 (not some un-factfull number 99,000) names showing attributs of Allmighty Allah.

Hope I have clearified you, with this response otherwise your comments and questions are most welcome.

-------------

Posted By: Imperator Invictus
Date Posted: 06-Apr-2006 at 16:47
The Christians called god "Deus" which is a masculine term and was also used to refer to Greek/Roman polythesistic gods before Christianity.

Date Posted: 06-Apr-2006 at 19:52

Originally posted by Cywr

Dear Cywr,
First of all I would like to say that whether it's English, Dutch or any other language, the position of alphabets could change or even there could be some addition or substraction of charecters, but still the name will not change, you see John, Jan, Johan, and Juan.

The addition substraction of letters can end in a total modification of the name in question, and of course in a lost of meaning. For instance Ludwig seems to mean soemthing like "fierce warrior" in old German but what does Luis mean in Spanish? Nothing. And what does Koldobika, most commonly Koldo, mean in Basque? Nothing again. And do Luis and Koldo resemble each other? Not at all - though the Ludwig/Ludovicus root can still be traced.

What we are talking about is Allah and God, which looks to me completly different and what I realy meant was that the word "God" is not proper as it has plural form along with a option of gender (Goddess) and where Allah is one and no one knows whether Allah is male of female. 

... or is genderless or even if It speaks Arabic at all.

I agree that the gender is a problem but Allah is not genderless either but male in gender - at least as far as I know. Arabic has no neuter and favors masculine over femenine.

Alternatively I propose the Basque term Dana or Dena, meaning:
  • All
  • That who is
An inclussive version can also be articularted by changing the -a suffix into -o. In this variant, Deno or Dano, it means:
  • All (including us)
  • That who is (including us)
It may be a forced twist for Basque, where the -o inclusive declination is only used in plural forms as -ok. But it makes sense anyhow, specially if you favor pantheism as the best theologic and philosophic solution.

Secondly there are 99 (not some un-factfull number 99,000) names showing attributs of Allmighty Allah.

Well, this is an obvious numerologic superstition. I see no reason for using only 99 names.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 06-Apr-2006 at 20:03

So you say charioteer that I was wrong when using Tien for God in Chinese and that I should have used Di instead?

(Notice that your characters are seen strange for those of us that don't have a Chinese font loaded, you may prefer to use images instead).

This is Tian, first row is how its written in Shang oracle bone inscriptions, second row is from Zhou dynasty bronze ware inscriptions, third example is standardized version by LiSi prime minister of Qin dynasty.

this is how Tian writes today

Tian in oracle bone writings,

this is a rock carving discovered in inner Mongolia

this is character Di in oracle bone writing

The English word God is translated as ShangDi(shang=above/on top of)

whereas allah is ZhenZhu(literally means real lord)

By the Zhou dynasty, Chinese rulers called themselves, Tian Zi,(son of heaven), if Tian has no difference in connotation to God or Allah other than difference in language, then Tian Zi should also be considered as Son of Gods

Which in China's case, was not true.

For one, Chinese Tian is a term strongly associated with astronomy and agriculture. Its a general term made on awareness of importance of natural force that can affect the development of agriculture. And the man who had most of those knowledge were leaders of Zhou(even earlier stage, chieftains of HuaXia). Its the difference that Shang Kings laterly relied these practice on special officials so that themselves were not necessarily knowledgable in astronomy&calculations, whereas the Zhou rulers were often in charge of these practice, thats where&why the notion Son of Heaven, thus Zhou's usage of Tian replaced Shang term of Di.

Another explanation of character Di is its depiction of pile of firewood which Shang make when they are offering ritual ceremony to Tian.

Tian in oracle bone writings is composed of two parts, one is a man, above him is an oversized head, probably reference to celestial body. As ancient Chinese believed that the heaven is round, the earth is square. As this

Jade Cong found in ShanXi province (2100 B.C)

and jade Cong of LiangZhu culture(3300-2000 B.C)

presents.

God is impersonationed being whos credited with creation of things. Tian has no such impersonation attribute.

Ancient agricultural Chinese believed Tian is a factor that man cant change or control, but man can make changes. Its an emphasize on man rather than Tian.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Apr-2006 at 04:05
That's very interesting, thanks.

So you say that you translate differently God and Allah, and that Tian would be neither one but refers rather to the sky in an astronomical and astrological sense. This is what I understood.

Nevertheless, I see the Tian character as obviously human. It would seem like a big-headed human. While Di is totally abstract instead.

I wonder if Tian can mean different for different people in different contexts. I would not read Tian as "the gods" but I would attempt to read it as "the divinity". But, of course, Chinese culture is surely much more subtle than his gross Western approximation.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 07-Apr-2006 at 11:11

basically the concept of Tian is above/on top of man, Tian is same as Dian(top of) in oracle bones inscription, which a phrase Ji(illness)Tian, means ones head got illness, Tian here means the top of man.

but the heaven is also above/ on top of man.

this is late YangShao tomb which dates back 6500 years. Discovered in PuYang city, in HeNan province. The significance of this discovery is that they found earliest archaeological evidence of Chinese totem of dragon.

but thats only cultural significance of it, more to add is its astronomical&social significance. As they discovered contained in this series of tombs, the earliest Chinese astronomy map.

as in this picture, structure below the body is a depiction of the Dipper. In ancient China, a term Bi had two meanings, one is watch/clock, the other being hipbone. This archaeological discovery showed vividly why ancient Chinese used hipbone to refer clock.

because during the day, time is measured by the shadow of man, using hipbones to form stem part of the Dipper is representation of that practice(also ritual sacrifice, the hipbone dont belong to the master of the tomb, rather to a youngster whom with cut shows clearly unnatural death). While the stars of the Dipper can be observed clearly during the night.

The Dipper depiction is only part of this astronomical map, the tomb itself is square shaped with arched ceiling, a representation of Chinese concept of round heaven & square earth. Stars represented with shells are found within the tombs. The dragon to the east & the tiger to the west design formed basic concept of traditional Chinese belief of four symbols that divide the celestial body, which the Dipper is the central chamber. Also four governors of solar terms which are the Spring Equinox,summer solstice,the Autumnal Equinox&winter solstice were represented by dead bodies from other tombs which together with this one composed entire representation of the celestial body. As these knowledges are important to the development of agriculture. Also design of the Dipper might give an explanation why ancient Chinese believed 'union/harmony between Tian/heaven and man'.

Only son of heaven can be referred with the Dipper, experts believe the host of this tomb probably was an important HuaXia chieftain. As its accordant with historical texts state that city of PuYang was the birth place of HuaXia, once ruling centre of ZhuanXu(grandson of Huangdi). Legend has it that when Huangdi and ZhuanXu died, they ride dragon to heaven.

As discovered in another related tomb of this site,depiction(made of shells) a man riding on the back of dragon. Which is correlative to the legend. 

Tian is observation of the celestial body, it is above where men live, as it would affect agriculture, those who had the knowledge of Tian were men of important political&religious status.

Thats why the Zhou kings replaced the Shang's concept, as they were more engaged personally in these agricultural related astronomy and calculations, they began to associated themselves with Tian, then called themselves son of Heaven, As if there is a blood relation. But for the Shang, Tian has no blood relation with the Shang Kings, Di might has, as many of those Dis Shang offered rituals were Shang's earlier kings. But they are only messengers of Tian who live in the Tian/above man.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Apr-2006 at 11:56

Those are some really informative data added dear The Charioteer, thanks alot for sharing it.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Apr-2006 at 12:10

... or is genderless or even if It speaks Arabic at all.

I agree that the gender is a problem but Allah is not genderless either but male in gender - at least as far as I know. Arabic has no neuter and favors masculine over femenine.

You are quite right as far as not being a muslim, most of the people around the globe think that Allah is male in gender, but infact I really don't think that light (noor) has any gender as we beleive that Allah is made of light and as powerful light that no one can see.

Well, this is an obvious numerologic superstition. I see no reason for using only 99 names.

That's not a bad idea at all to have more than 99 attributive names for Allmighty Allah as the more you describe about Allah the less it is. So I aggree with that comment but by adding the word Attributive along names.

-------------

Posted By: Northman
Date Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 05:44

I'm in agreement with Zagros who said it short and clear.

Here is why.
No matter how we refer to the devine being in Abrahamic beliefs, its the same being we are talking about.
Through history, many words (often percieved as names) have been used to refer to this.
As far I remember, using a name for God is actually blasphemy - His reference to Himself was:  I AM....
We shouldnt picture God - we shouldnt name him.

When Christians use the word God - noone is in doubt who this word refers to. It can only be one.

Idolising humans with reference to "Godhood" is always used in context - like this: "he is the god of blues" - "he is a  tennisgod" etc.
Never just God.

The word Allah isnt a name (as many think) - but a contraction of two arabic words "al - ilh" meaning: "the - god" or "the - deity".

And Gharanai - "ilh" actually IS masculine form. "Allah" does have a gender.

So there is no difference whether you say Allah "the God" or simply "God".

Hence the tagline of this thread Gharanai - Did I prove you wrong?

Thanks to The Charioteer - loads of interesting information

-------------

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 06:29
Originally posted by Northman

The word Allah isnt a name (as many think) - but a contraction of two arabic words "al - ilh" meaning: "the - god" or "the - deity".

nope, Al Ilah is pronounced Al Ilah, Allah is pronunced Allah. there is difference.

its a name of the only God as  muslims belive and as Christan and Jewish Arabs belive and the name of the Supreme God as other Arabs before islam belived.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 06:58
Originally posted by azimuth

nope, Al Ilah is pronounced Al Ilah, Allah is pronunced Allah. there is difference.

its a name of the only God as  muslims belive and as Christan and Jewish Arabs belive and the name of the Supreme God as other Arabs before islam belived.

In my infinite lack of knowledge I was reading about Allah and Islam less than a week ago, but... as I cant rely 100% on my memory because of old age (already established elsewhere on AE) - I looked it up on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allah - Wiki  again.
I cant claim their version is true - but maybe its because I (and wiki) am talking about the origin of the word - you are talking about how to pronounce it.
I would be most thankful if you could enlighten me about origin - if the above isnt true.

-------------

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 07:16

yes i was talking about the pronounciation, and my point was that Allah is a world used only for the Only God.

while the term Al Ilah can be used for anything that is worshipped, like if i made a statment saying "Al Ilah end al Egreeq Zeus" iam saying The god of the Greek is Zeus,

if i said "Allah end al egreeq Zeus" it wont be correct and will sound wrong because as i said Allah is a name for specific God who is belived to be the one and the only.

while Al Ilah can be used as "The God" for anything other than Allah that is worshipped.

---------------

about the orgin

its root from Ilah, but as i described above its not refering to any God anymore and can be used only when refereing to the only God ( as belived be Judaisism, christianity and islam)

Ilah's root is semitic.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 09:04

Thank you Azimut for your clarification.

Am I simplifying too much by extracting this from your post:

Allah is the name of the only true God, derived from ilh / al-ilh - but par tradition/culture changed to Allah since the expression al-ilh means, "the god" in contrast to "THE God".

So ergo,  "God" (used in the Christian sense as described in my first post) is equivalent to your "Allah" - since they both are directed to the one, only and same devine being.
Neither one is more correct than the other.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 12:37

I'm in agreement with Zagros who said it short and clear.

Here is why.
No matter how we refer to the devine being in Abrahamic beliefs, its the same being we are talking about.
Through history, many words (often percieved as names) have been used to refer to this.
As far I remember, using a name for God is actually blasphemy - His reference to Himself was:  I AM....
We shouldnt picture God - we shouldnt name him.

When Christians use the word God - noone is in doubt who this word refers to. It can only be one.

Idolising humans with reference to "Godhood" is always used in context - like this: "he is the god of blues" - "he is a  tennisgod" etc.
Never just God.

And Gharanai - "ilh" actually IS masculine form. "Allah" does have a gender.

So there is no difference whether you say Allah "the God" or simply "God".

Hence the tagline of this thread Gharanai - Did I prove you wrong?

I would like to respond you with simple words that it depends on ones mentality, idealogy and way of thinking. So you understand it in that way and I in my way.

On the other hand is it right ot call you "Shamali Sar'ai" which in pashto refers to "Northman", I guess no, it isn't right so my point is to say that why not to use the original word "Allah" instead of its translation "God"?

And I am sorry to say that those ones weren't really a satisfying answer so I guess the Subject of the Thread keeps the same.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 03:37

I would like to respond you with simple words that it depends on ones mentality, idealogy and way of thinking. So you understand it in that way and I in my way.

Indeed, and I will defend your right to your choice (nomatter what reason you may have).
You started out in this thread - wanting us to challenge your statement, quoting scriptures etc. More people did challenge the statement in more ways (background, logic etc.), proving that there could be equal good reasons for using other names.
Now, maybe when you feel a bit cornered, you turn the discussion into a matter of choice.
No problem with that either.

The problem is - noone is saying your choise is wrong or invalid - but you still challenge all other choices - wont accept or respect them to be equal valid to yours.
But when everything comes to an end - that choice is also your priviledge

May Allah be with you - peace.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Apr-2006 at 11:39

Indeed, and I will defend your right to your choice (nomatter what reason you may have).
You started out in this thread - wanting us to challenge your statement, quoting scriptures etc. More people did challenge the statement in more ways (background, logic etc.), proving that there could be equal good reasons for using other names.
Now, maybe when you feel a bit cornered, you turn the discussion into a matter of choice.
No problem with that either.

The problem is - noone is saying your choise is wrong or invalid - but you still challenge all other choices - wont accept or respect them to be equal valid to yours.
But when everything comes to an end - that choice is also your priviledge

May Allah be with you - peace.

Dear Northman,
First of all I would say that I really do respect others opinions and choices and never say that they might be wrong. What I started and say is (you may see my first post of this thread) that MUSLIMS should stop using the word GOD instead of Allah, I never pointed out others while others did so, but I really do like most of those comments as you can see that I have appreciated some of those comments which were really informative.

Now that I used the word "Choice" in my previous post, it was because I wanted to tell you that you (all of you) are also right regarding to your mentality, belief and way of thinking.

But I still would want my muslim brothers and sister to think about it and why really not to use "Allah" instead of "God".

I don't have anything with the "God" as well in Pashto also use "Ceshtan" and "Khudawand".

The points was and is that the word "God" has plural form where there is only ONE Allah. It also has gender selection (God and Goddess) and Allah has no gender.

Those are the points which made me think about the word "God"!

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Apr-2006 at 21:10
Originally posted by The Charioteer

This is Tian, first row is how its written in Shang oracle bone inscriptions, second row is from Zhou dynasty bronze ware inscriptions, third example is standardized version by LiSi prime minister of Qin dynasty.

this is how Tian writes today

Tian in oracle bone writings,

this is a rock carving discovered in inner Mongolia

this is character Di in oracle bone writing

The English word God is translated as ShangDi(shang=above/on top of)

whereas allah is ZhenZhu(literally means real lord)

By the Zhou dynasty, Chinese rulers called themselves, Tian Zi,(son of heaven), if Tian has no difference in connotation to God or Allah other than difference in language, then Tian Zi should also be considered as Son of Gods

Which in China's case, was not true.

For one, Chinese Tian is a term strongly associated with astronomy and agriculture. Its a general term made on awareness of importance of natural force that can affect the development of agriculture. And the man who had most of those knowledge were leaders of Zhou(even earlier stage, chieftains of HuaXia). Its the difference that Shang Kings laterly relied these practice on special officials so that themselves were not necessarily knowledgable in astronomy&calculations, whereas the Zhou rulers were often in charge of these practice, thats where&why the notion Son of Heaven, thus Zhou's usage of Tian replaced Shang term of Di.

Another explanation of character Di is its depiction of pile of firewood which Shang make when they are offering ritual ceremony to Tian.

Tian in oracle bone writings is composed of two parts, one is a man, above him is an oversized head, probably reference to celestial body. As ancient Chinese believed that the heaven is round, the earth is square. As this

Jade Cong found in ShanXi province (2100 B.C)

and jade Cong of LiangZhu culture(3300-2000 B.C)

presents.

God is impersonationed being whos credited with creation of things. Tian has no such impersonation attribute.

Ancient agricultural Chinese believed Tian is a factor that man cant change or control, but man can make changes. Its an emphasize on man rather than Tian.

Date Posted: 30-Apr-2006 at 21:21
 Hello.I have five wine cup's thirty plus horse's running left leg standing on bird mybe pelicon .one vary big horned sheep cup ? and three clay warriors all the same but differant people.do any of this sound interresting ? from a vary old man at flee market.   coxa2 19@aol.com

Posted By: BlueDragonRider7
Date Posted: 15-May-2006 at 04:55

I'm not muslim and I'm from Iran, and frankly I call God "khoda" like any other Iranian would  ... and by the way... people call people's names diffrently in diffrent languages... for example: English David = Davood in Persian, Englsih Solomon = Soleimaan in Persian, English John = Yohaun in Persian ... and so on... and I'm pretty sure that you know this too, because as I recall people in Afghanistan like many other countries also speak Persian. So I'm 100% sure that God will not mind what you would call Him

-------------
"Keep on daydreaming 'til your dreams come true"

Posted By: BlueDragonRider7
Date Posted: 15-May-2006 at 05:06

Another point I came across was the point that was brought up by some fellow thinkers on this site... the topic as I understand changed from God and Allah being two diffrent identities... which I should disagree...

you see, if you examine the languages they are all very close to eachother ... when we start somewhere on Earth and draw a dot and listen to the native person from that point speak, then draw a big circle and listen to the people around him speak and then a bigger circle and so on... you can easily see how a word from one language slowly changes to a new word in a bigger circle... Now if you do that to Arabic word Allah and get to a place where people speak English and say God you'll see that God is infact the word Allah with slight modifications here and there... but there is one thing to remember... when you're doing this excersise you should remember to always count in the "dead languages" because they play a key role in connecting everything together ... infact this is how I learned English

-------------
"Keep on daydreaming 'til your dreams come true"

Posted By: erkut
Date Posted: 16-May-2006 at 06:25

İn islam Allah has 99 names. And to many muslim do not use them. Sometimes they could call Allah in their own language whit differnt words. İt doesnt matter. The important thing is to beliwe ''The Creator''.

-------------

Posted By: Dampier
Date Posted: 16-May-2006 at 18:23
Originally posted by erkut

İn islam Allah has 99 names. And to many muslim do not use them. Sometimes they could call Allah in their own language whit differnt words. İt doesnt matter. The important thing is to beliwe ''The Creator''.

There are also several extra 'true' names for Christian and Judaic God. Of course seeing as God=Allah=Yahweh its a bit pointless.

Oh and the difference for  a "god of cricket" and "God" is a capital letter, or at least thats how its taught in English.

-------------

Posted By: Nick1986
Date Posted: 17-Jun-2012 at 19:10
I thought the Arabic Allah and Latin Jehovah were derived from the Hebrew Yahweh: the God called "I Am"

-------------
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!

Date Posted: 18-Jun-2012 at 19:08
Was the Latin Deus derived from the Greek Zeus? The Christian God does share a few characteristics with his pagan counterpart: a bad temper, ability to impregnate young virgins, taste for burnt flesh, and willingness to destroy sinners with fire from heaven

-------------

Posted By: Baal Melqart
Date Posted: 19-Jun-2012 at 08:24
Originally posted by Nick1986

I thought the Arabic Allah and Latin Jehovah were derived from the Hebrew Yahweh: the God called "I Am"

There is no connection between Yahweh and Allah in terms of etymology. Allah is simply the Arabic counterpart of God in English. Al (the) Ilah (god) which gets compressed and a stress added to convey majesty.

-------------
Timidi mater non flet

Posted By: sharwina_7
Date Posted: 19-Jun-2012 at 08:49
Originally posted by Baal Melqart

There is no connection between Yahweh and Allah in terms of etymology. Allah is simply the Arabic counterpart of God in English. Al (the) Ilah (god) which gets compressed and a stress added to convey majesty.

i guess this is correct

Posted By: medenaywe
Date Posted: 19-Jun-2012 at 09:52
Latin "DeUS"=Devine mouth presents,Zeus had had different phonemes DzE...Dze mouth presents!ALaH=Victim-like wing arrows!(He)I believe it is combined God&God of Time presentation even if there are more than one possibility of voices:ALLaH=Victim-like spark wings arrow!(He decide about your death and arrow that follows it?!?)All Presentations of God we have shared long time ago from the very beginning of human kind.Especially Med Sea cultures people.
P.S.
Dze are footprints of Goddess on "stone sky" above and we knew it as Sun God!

Posted By: Abudhar
Date Posted: 19-Jun-2012 at 10:37

-------------
Seek Knowledge from the Cradle to the Grave-Prophet Mohamed(P.B.U.H)

Posted By: Abudhar
Date Posted: 19-Jun-2012 at 10:42
THANKS Brother GHARANAI for such high inspiring issue as Muslims we have the 99 names of the Exalted Allah according to the teachings of the holy Quran which stress:

"And to Allah belong the best names, so invoke Him by them. And leave [the company of] those who practice deviation concerning His names. They will be recompensed for what they have been doing.Holy Quran ( http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.sahih/7:180 -

Posted By: Centrix Vigilis
Date Posted: 19-Jun-2012 at 11:09
GOD is GOD. Call him what you will. Doesn't matter to him...only to those who wish to reinvent him later for other then honorable theological convictions or differences of the same.

But beware..... for he has neither need for reinvention nor does HE suffer fools who think they need to do it.

And the crowed roared it's approval with a thunderous ''AMEN''...cept for the atheists and the lost agnostics.

-------------
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Date Posted: 07-Aug-2012 at 19:28
Originally posted by medenaywe

Latin "DeUS"=Devine mouth presents,Zeus had had different phonemes DzE...Dze mouth presents!ALaH=Victim-like wing arrows!(He)I believe it is combined God&God of Time presentation even if there are more than one possibility of voices:ALLaH=Victim-like spark wings arrow!(He decide about your death and arrow that follows it?!?)All Presentations of God we have shared long time ago from the very beginning of human kind.Especially Med Sea cultures people.
P.S.
Dze are footprints of Goddess on "stone sky" above and we knew it as Sun God!

Wasn't the sun god Apollo? Zeus was the god of thunder

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Aug-2012 at 16:11
Apollo is essentially known as a sun god only after the 3rd Ce. BC. Prior to that he is and continues as a representation of light.. truth... prophecy...healing...bringer of sickness and plague... music and poetry.

During the aforementioned he superseded Helios.

Zeus was the chief of gods in the pantheon and is the ruler of the sky and thunder... but not entirely of storms or wind; he sub-let that responsibility to others....complex shitt. No doubt they were either drunk or high when they attempted this ideological-theological creation. Not buying a etymological relationship between Greek and Arabic and Zeus and Allah or Apollo and Allah....to many sme's disagree.

See the link.

http://www.theoi.com/greek-mythology/sky-gods.html - http://www.theoi.com/greek-mythology/sky-gods.html

-------------

S. T. Friedman

Date Posted: 08-Aug-2012 at 19:06
Originally posted by Abudhar

THANKS Brother GHARANAI for such high inspiring issue as Muslims we have the 99 names of the Exalted Allah according to the teachings of the holy Quran which stress:

"And to Allah belong the best names, so invoke Him by them. And leave [the company of] those who practice deviation concerning His names. They will be recompensed for what they have been doing.Holy Quran ( http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.sahih/7:180 -

Date Posted: 09-Aug-2012 at 19:26
According to this translation, God's real name is not "I Am" but Ahyh: "I Will Be." It's also been suggested he was called Elohim
http://www.yhwh.com/godsrealname.htm - http://www.yhwh.com/godsrealname.htm

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Aug-2012 at 21:29

According to this translation, God's real name is not "I Am" but Ahyh: "I Will Be." It's also been suggested he was called Elohim

I thought it was Yihyeh Asher Yihyeh "I shall be whom I shall be"

-------------
Timidi mater non flet

Posted By: eaglecap
Date Posted: 10-Aug-2012 at 00:39

Over centuries, we have seen that people are called by their name, whether he is in Asia, Europ, Africa or Americas the name still will be the same for example if an American is called "Jone", I am sure that he is also called "Jone" in any other language of the world, same goes with an Arab named "Ahmad", he would be called "Ahmad" all around the world.

My point here is to discuss the name of the one and only Allmighy "Allah". Most of the times I have come to see the word "God" used for "Allah", My question from my fellow muslim brothers and sisters is whether it is right to use "God" instead of "Allah" or not? (To me: It's a sin to use it.)

We (muslims) do believe that there is Only one Allah and no one but Allah and who don't has any gender, and is made of light (noor).

Below are the meanings for both of the words, now it's upto you all to decide whether to use it or not and whether it's a sin or not.

Allah: The personal name of the one true creator in Islam. Nothing else can be called Allah. The term has no plural or gender. From the 112th sura of the Qur'an Sharief: "In the name of God, the Merciful, the Compassionate. Say (O Mohammad) He is God the One God, the Everlasting Refuge, who has not begotten, nor has been begotten, and equal to Him is not anyone." http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Allah&gwp=11&curtab=2222_1&linktext=Allah - Reference:

God:

1. A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity (as Goddess could be used for a femal type) thought to control some part of nature or reality.
  2. An image of a supernatural being; an idol.
  3. One that is worshiped, idealized, or followed: Money was their god.
  4. A very handsome man.
  5. A powerful ruler or despot.

http://www.answers.com/god?gwp=11&ver=1.0.6.171&method=3 - Reference:

Now my dear muslim brothers and sisters do consider on the bold and underlined words and phrases above, then let me know of what you think.

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=6>Isn't it best to use "Allah" instead of "God" ?

The ancient Hebrews or Jews had many names for their God but really the word God is just a title. One name was so sacred that a Jew would not utter it, Yahweh or often rendered Jehovah. You can find this in the Torah or Old Testement.

-------------
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε

Date Posted: 16-Aug-2012 at 19:57

Doesn't that mean the same thing: "I am" in the future tense?

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Aug-2012 at 14:31

Doesn't that mean the same thing: "I am" in the future tense?

exactly, that was pretty much my point.

-------------
Timidi mater non flet

Date Posted: 20-Aug-2012 at 19:37
So if Yahweh "will be" God in the future, was this the creator God referring to his own immortality, or was it actually his son Jesus communicating with Abraham?

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Aug-2012 at 08:16

So if Yahweh "will be" God in the future, was this the creator God referring to his own immortality, or was it actually his son Jesus communicating with Abraham?

I think it's meaning is simply that God is Lord of the future as well as present for which reason he shall be as he is now. But you might be right as per Christian theology.

-------------
Timidi mater non flet

Date Posted: 21-Aug-2012 at 09:15

No one on this forum (or any other for that matter) can adequately address that with any real veracity.
My recommendation? Contact one of the two I have highlighted in your post.Wink

-------------

S. T. Friedman

Date Posted: 21-Aug-2012 at 19:34
"Lord of the Future" is a great argument for predestination: everything happens because God has already decided

-------------

Posted By: d' artagnan
Date Posted: 21-Aug-2012 at 19:52
Isn't this kind of a pointless topic as the first page of the second chapter(the cow according to the copy I have might be wrong I don't know) says that the christian god is the same as the moslem god. So sayin god allah or any other name for any of the three great religions god is essentially the same as any other.

Semper Fidelis

-------------
Hunter Johns

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."
— Col. Chesty Puller | Korean War

Date Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 00:59
Pointless?

Depends on whether your a Hebrew-Jew, Christian, Muslim.....Arab Christian or any number of other sects who hold the Ancient One dear.....And they have yet to agree in totality. And...therein lies the rub.
Because they dont agree.

-------------

S. T. Friedman

Posted By: d' artagnan
Date Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 01:25
So the problems not the term. Its the people using it.

-------------
Hunter Johns

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."
— Col. Chesty Puller | Korean War

Date Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 01:57
using it and ......defining it....Based on the historical and cultural context in which their theological practices and beliefs were developed..... And is yet continued to this day. With very little modification.Wink

-------------

S. T. Friedman

Date Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 19:49
Centrix made an excellent point: everyone worships the same God, but sheer narrow-mindedness prevents them from getting on with each other. If every Christian, Jew and Muslim put aside their differences and helped other adherents of Moses' law, the world would be a much better place

-------------

Posted By: Delenda est Roma
Date Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 19:52
They all are divided on major parts of their religion and to compromise would deatroy each of their faiths.

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Aug-2012 at 19:11
Certain irrefutable truths are common to Judaism, Islam and Christianity: there is only one God who must be appeased with prayer; don't kill, rape or steal; there are prophets capable of interpreting God's commands; there is life after death; and the first prophet was Abraham. The only divisions are the subsequent prophets each sect follows, each of whom emphasised certain teachings over others

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 09:40
The main issue in my honest opinion is mutual exclusivity. Most religious groups tend to consider that they uphold the only veritable truth and as a coincidence all the other groups are seen as infidels or heretics who are destined to the hell-fire. Religion should be open to everyone and no one should be able to judge others based on their mutual differences, as great as they could be.

Best case in point would be Judaism. In Judaism, other religious people who don't necessarily follow the Tanakh as they do are not considered as outsiders who can't reach God's mercy and might also have a place in the 'world to come'. Some sects of Judaism have of course, historically, enclosed the religion so as only Hebrews could enter Heaven and follow the commandments. Yet I do not see this as a teaching based on Torah, but rather a later Talmudic addition (sages opinions).

Technically from the Jewish perspective, anyone who adheres to the Noahide Laws and is a good person (Ger Tzedeq) may have a place in the world to come and this would include Christians and Muslims as long as they don't commit idolatry (Avodah Zarah).

The paths may differ but if the goal is one, why so much dispute?

-------------
Timidi mater non flet

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com