Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTurks in Bulgaria (Flame-War Warning)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 17>
Author
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turks in Bulgaria (Flame-War Warning)
    Posted: 24-May-2006 at 18:04
Bulldog,

Bulgaria is an independent country and the people in this have nothing to do with the Turks. The term "turkic" that I posted above is a copy from wikipedia and its meaning is widely known.

The fact that Turks try to persuade from time to time that the Bulgars, the Hungarians etc are turkish peoples is far-fetched. The first have been completely slavicised regarding to their language and genetic pool and the latter have been mixed up with the Germans and the Slavs and have formed a new nation something that is obvious on their fenotype. The Turks is a branch of the turkic peoples like Huns and proto-Bulgars. People from Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan belong to the turkic group but they are not Turks. And it's a term mainly used for the language.

Have a look at
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2006 at 18:38
Originally posted by dorian

Bulldog,

Bulgaria is an independent country and the people in this have nothing to do with the Turks.

If I were you I would be more careful with the generalizations. To say that the people in Bulgaria have nothing to do with the Turks is plain wrong. 10% of the population is Turkish.In the North there are Christian Turks - the Gagauz,. Many Turkish words are still commonly used in the Bulgarian vocabulary. So Bulgaria has many things to do with the Turks.

We, the Turks, are an integral part of Bulgaria. Bulgaria would be incomplete without us, we would be incomplete without Bulgaria.

Edited by bg_turk - 24-May-2006 at 18:41
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2006 at 18:44
Does Bulgaria "occupy your lands and has taken your liberty" ?
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2006 at 19:28
Originally posted by Bulldog

I blame the education system and parents LOL

You are putting the blame in the right place. Bulgarian history classes are filled with anti-turkish venom and hatred and it starts at a pretty early age. To pursuade a Bulgarian in their Turkic origins would be to go against years of brainwashing at school.

Bulgarian nationhood has been engineered and built entirely in complete opposition to the Turks.It is much easier to unite people when there is one common enemy.  Though this is now changing, deep rooted prejudices are still present and it is often quite easy to explot them for political parurposes.

For example, the fascistocommunist party ATAKA has earned 8% of the national vote just because of its anti-turkish rhetoric. And now their psychopat leader is in parliament.

They held a protest on the 3rd March (Bulgaria's  national holiday marking its creation as a result of the Russian occupation of the Ottoman Empire) and during this protest his supporters burned Turkish fesses and feredjes.
Others such as Petko, chose to express their support for the party from the top of the tree right accross parliament and threatening to beat with a stick the security personel who were trying to bring them down :

Ataka party leader Volen Siderov told the crowd that ethnic minorities such as Turks and Gypsies should not be allowed into the Bulgarian government.

"Let's give Bulgaria back to the Bulgarians," Mr Siderov told the crowd. "Bulgaria is not yet free. Bulgaria is still under Turkish rule."

Loudspeakers broadcast the music from the film Star Wars as the nationalists marched past government buildings
Shocked
Read more here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4772360.stm

Greeks also seem to be interested in the ATAKA party
http://www.enet.gr/online/online_fpage_text/id=91645180,99535484,12120636
(the Greek state has a history of extending full-support to all antiturkish parties in Bulgaria)

Edited by bg_turk - 24-May-2006 at 19:36
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2006 at 19:41
Thumbs DownPROPAGANDA Thumbs Down
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2006 at 19:51
What  you dont believe Petko climbed a tree? Check this out:

http://www.news.bg/article.php?cid=7&pid=0&aid=174554

The title is "3 March -from the tree"

Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2006 at 20:05
Originally posted by bg_turk

Greeks also seem to be interested in the ATAKA party
http://www.enet.gr/online/online_fpage_text/id=91645180,99535484,12120636
(the Greek state has a history of extending full-support to all antiturkish parties in Bulgaria)

If you could read Greek you would understand that this article aims to present the "phenomenon ATAKA" and to critisize their views.

As for your last sentense, if you keep provoking like this, I fear that you will soon find yourself outside this forum.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2006 at 20:17
Originally posted by Neoptolemos

As for your last sentense, if you keep provoking like this, I fear that you will soon find yourself outside this forum.

This was not a provocation, it was a statement of fact. Greece was the only country in Europe that supported the name-changing campaign in Bulgarian in the 80s.
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2006 at 20:29

This was not a provocation, it was a statement of fact. Greece was the only country in Europe that supported the name-changing campaign in Bulgarian in the 80s.

Give me a link in English for this name-changing campaign to understand what you are talking about.

You stated: the Greek state has a history of extending full-support to all antiturkish parties in Bulgaria.

Either prove it (state, full-support, antiturkish) or else you're just provoking again.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2006 at 20:57

Give me a link in English for this name-changing campaign to understand what you are talking about.

This whole thread, and the the other thread "Revival Process" is about that campaign.
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11996

You stated: the Greek state has a history of extending full-support to all antiturkish parties in Bulgaria.

Either prove it (state, full-support, antiturkish) or else you're just provoking again.

Greece supported the Communist government of Bulgaria in its name changing campaign and I already provided a link to the article:
http://www.ethnopolitics.org/ethnopolitics/archive/volume_I/issue_4/petkova.pdf

On p.47 Petkova states:

On the international scene, the US and the UK supported Turkeys claims. Germany,
France, Italy and other EC members recommended that handling the matter in the
CSCE, rather than bilaterally with Bulgaria. Greece was the only EC member-state that
openly supported Bulgaria.
Consequently, Greek-Bulgarian relations improved to such an extent that in September 1986 the two countries signed a declaration of friendship,
good-neighbourly relations and co-operation, including provision for bilateral
consultations should a threat to the security of either party arise. In Turkey some argued
that this was not compatible with the obligations of Greece as a NATO member (Ltem
1999: 7).
Despite the international condemnation of the policies concerning the Bulgarian Turks,
the Bulgarian government pursued its chosen course.

The  Greek policies towards Bosnian Muslims, Kosovar Albanians and Bulgairan Turks is enough to convince anybody that Greece has a proven track record of an openly anti-muslim foreign policy  not only with regard to Bulgaira , but in the context of the whole Balkans.

Edited by bg_turk - 24-May-2006 at 21:03
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2006 at 21:45

This whole thread, and the the other thread "Revival Process" is about that campaign.
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11996

Greece supported the Communist government of Bulgaria in its name changing campaign and I already provided a link to the article:
http://www.ethnopolitics.org/ethnopolitics/archive/volume_I/issue_4/petkova.pdf

Re-reading my post I see that I didn't make myself clear. I wanted to say give me links in English that show how the Greek state supported fully this name changing campaign. I admit that I didn't see your above link.
Now, the article is pretty long and I don't have time to read it. I stay on your quote which says that "Greece was the only EC member-state that
openly supported Bulgaria". If I understant well, the Greek government stated that they approve Bulgaria's policy. Is that right? Did they take any other measure to support this policy? And are there are incidents which show that the Greek state offers full support to the antiturkish parties in Bulgaria???

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2006 at 22:04

If I understant well, the Greek government stated that they approve Bulgaria's policy. Is that right? Did they take any other measure to support this policy?

It would be foolish to openly support human rights violations. Which government would state that they support the killing of hundreds, the imprisonment of thousands, and the deportation of hundreds of thousands?

This is what the Communist regime had done, and that the Greek government extended full diplomatic support and signed all these friendship agreements with a pariah regime that was completely isolated from the democratic world because of its horrendous human right record (not only against Turks, but against some Bulgarians too), is a clear indication to me that Greece approved of the policies against the Bulgarian Turks. My conviction about the Greek complicitiy is enforced by the fact that she signed all these agreements after the initiation of the campaign, and not before, so the campaign against the Turks and the Greek diplomatic support were clearly related.

And are there are incidents which show that the Greek state offers full support to the antiturkish parties in Bulgaria???

Unlike the Srebrenica Genocide, where Greek nationals took direct part under the encouragement and glorification by the Greek media, I am not aware of any direct Greek involvement in Bulgaria in 1980s. The cold war would have made it impossible for Greeks to enter Bulgaria anyway.

But in any case the Greek diplomatic support in Europe proved crucial for a regime which was isolated and pressed for its human rights record, (not unike the financial and other Greek support for the Milosevic regime).

I do not blame Bulgarians for the actions of the totalitarian regime that was imposed on them, but what excuse does democratic Greece have for supporting a regime that comitted such horrible crimes?

Edited by bg_turk - 24-May-2006 at 22:12
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2006 at 22:55
^^ This post made clear why I accuse you bg_turk. Let me explain myself.
You first stated that "the Greek state has a history of extending full-support to all antiturkish parties in Bulgaria". This IMO is a generalization, exaggeration and thus provocation. Now when I asked you to prove that, your only argument is the stance of Greek diplomacy during the early 80's. Even if I agree that you are right about the Greek policy, this still doesn't prove your original statement. That's why I don't like it why you're generalising: you are taking one occasion and you're saying that this is the rule.
Let's go now to the exaggeration: you started with "full support", then this changed to "openly supported Bulgaria" implying that Greeks are so bad that they openly supported Bulgarian human rights violation.  After being asked to clarify your points it comes down to:
" It would be foolish to openly support human rights violations... the Greek government extended full diplomatic support... is a clear indication to me that Greece approved of the policies against the Bulgarian Turks."
I hope you see what I mean. It's not only what you want to say, but how you say it. And often you say things in such a way to portray Greece as evil.

And a last thing: in the 80s Greece worked hard to improve her bilateral relations with Bulgaria. I don't think this has anything at all to do with the treatment of Turks in Bulgaria. I know that the then Greek-FM (and today President) Karolos Papoulias worked a lot in the direction of improving the relationships with Bulgaria and Albania. I am very happy for this because today our bilateral relations with Bulgaria are (nearly) excellent and the "animosity" amongt us bellongs in the past.

Edited by Neoptolemos - 24-May-2006 at 23:47
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2006 at 05:20

What I've understood is that whatever we say some people don't want to destroy the world which is built in their mind through the years. It isn't worth it.

"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2006 at 05:27
Bulgaria is an independent country and the people in this have nothing to do with the Turks.

I totall agree with  yoou, by the way, cyprus is an independent country and the people in this have nothing to do with the greeks.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2006 at 06:50

. The cold war would have made it impossible for Greeks to enter Bulgaria anyway.

I have friends who would enter Bulgaria anytime back in the 80s. They'd spend their time partying for ridiculously low prices (dinner at Sheraton for the equivalent of 5 Euros etc)

They exchanged Greek Drachmas or $ in the local black market for 10fold their official value.

More over there were many Greek students in the local (mainly) pharmaceutical schools.

[The  Greek policies towards Bosnian Muslims, Kosovar Albanians and Bulgairan Turks is enough to convince anybody that Greece has a proven track record of an openly anti-muslim foreign policy  not only with regard to Bulgaira , but in the context of the whole Balkans.

This in not true. However, you have managed to convince everyone that you have  (to paraphrase your words) "a proven track record of an openly anti-greek policy". Your only only contribution to this forum are you anti-Greek rants and considering this a "contribution", is a euphemism.

Edited by Yiannis - 25-May-2006 at 06:50
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2006 at 07:50
Originally posted by Yiannis

This in not true. However, you have managed to convince everyone that you have  (to paraphrase your words) "a proven track record of an openly anti-greek policy". Your only only contribution to this forum are you anti-Greek rants and considering this a "contribution", is a euphemism.

Anti-Greek rants? Saying that Greece supported regimes that attempted the genocide and ethnic cleansing of Muslims in Bosnia, Kosovo and Bulgaria is not an anti-Greek rant, but a statement of fact - no one can deny it. But of course you have chosen personal attacks against me in the hope that I will be silenced, and stop exposing the dark side of Greece.

I am not going to say anything about Greece anymore. Not because I accept to be silenced, but because it is not worth discussing such issues with people who cannot tolerate criticism of their country without resorting to personal insults.

Edited by bg_turk - 25-May-2006 at 07:54
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2006 at 08:11
I won't bother going into detail. Just pointed out the obvious. Anyone who can search for your posts (ever since you joined), with find out for him/her self.

PS
Don't fool yourself and don't give promises that you know you won't keep, of course you'll continue to say many things about Greece, I'm sure that by change (?) all will be negative...
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2006 at 08:27

This is getting ridiculous, where is this denial and extreme narrow-minded mentallity going to get you.

We have one guy saying

Bulldog,

I mean this kind of ignorance is pretty worrying, there's close to a million Turks in Bulgaria, their population is growing and seen as though Bulgaria's total populaton is 7,450,349 that's a very significant population, so to isolate and try to push away such a large community away from mainstream Bulgaria is pretty self-destructive to say the very least.

You need to snap out of this denial, nobody is calling you Turks today however what is a fact is that there is a Turkic heritage aswell in Bulgaria prior to the Ottoman influence.

There's nothing insulting or agressive about stating this, however, everytime its even mentioned you go absolutely berserk and lash out at whoever writes it and refuse to accept it.

Its funny you talk about the West doing this and that, your great pawns and untill you start understand pollitics and how to run a nation better you'll carry on being used by us because its soo easy, you want to believe the one sided accounts of history and the identity that we tell you to accept, its a piece of cake LOL

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2006 at 08:54
Originally posted by Yiannis

Anyone who can search for your posts (ever since you joined), with find out for him/her self.

Anyone who can search my threads will also discover that quite a few of them have been closed by no other but yourself.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 17>