Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are you reading?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 46>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are you reading?
    Posted: 11-May-2009 at 15:31
Tragically my study is physically and metaphorically consuming me at the moment. I'm down with illness and still neck deep in assessment after poorly devised assessment. So my current reading material, which I enjoy mind you, consists of various technical, instructional and theoretic texts on new media design. Currently I'm reading 'Hamlet on the Holodeck: The Future of Narrative in Cyberspace' by Janet Murray. All good stuff leading up to the thesis I'm about to write on Textual Analysis of New Media.
GökTürk View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote GökTürk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2009 at 16:54

I am reading

"Yaşar Kemal-3 Anatolian Myths(Emergence of Köroğlu,Karacaoğlan,Alageyik[Red Deer])"

now.
TENGRİ TEG TENGRİDE BOLMIŞ TÜRK BİLGE KAĞAN-
TURK WISE KHAN WHO BECAME IN SKY LIKE SKY-GOD
---
tengir ordo(people of Tengri-God-)                 
GökTürk View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote GökTürk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2009 at 15:55
I am reading "Harald Bream-Shaman".

TENGRİ TEG TENGRİDE BOLMIŞ TÜRK BİLGE KAĞAN-
TURK WISE KHAN WHO BECAME IN SKY LIKE SKY-GOD
---
tengir ordo(people of Tengri-God-)                 
Young Tatar View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Young Tatar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2009 at 15:57
Originally posted by Spartakus

I am currently reading "Pride and Prejudice", by Jane Austen.

oww. This is one of my favourite books. You should watch its movie, too Wink
"Independence and Freedom are my character."
Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

-----------------------------
Crimean Tatar Independence Movement
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2009 at 04:15
Currently I am reading Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential.  It's really good.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2009 at 19:11
Originally posted by King John

Currently I am reading Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential.  It's really good.

After walking into Border's bookstore for a selection of classical music cd's last week I tempted fate. Walking away empty handed I entered the History section to see the latest and greatest. Something that caught my eye was a publication from this year: 

Defenders of the Faith : Charles V. Suleyman the Magnificent and the Battle for Europe 1520 - 1536 

,by James Reston

A bird's eye view of early modern European history. The author gets close to the reader with the lives and intrigues of Henry VIII, Francis I, Martin Luther and, of course the dual protagonists - Suleyman The Magnificent, Ottoman Sultan and Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor. Many pages cover the quarrels between Pope and Prince as well as Battles of Pavia, Budapest, Vienna and more. Learn about Diet of Worms. Peasants War. Reformation, Lutherans, Calvinists, Protestants (1529 - protesting against the previous Edict of Worms, at Speyer, where from that moment Catholics would not be tolerated on Lutheran soil). Sack of Rome by Landsnechts. The fate of the Medici Popes, Leo X and Clement VII, and Ottoman fratricide are all brought to the forefront.

Edited by Seko - 11-Jun-2009 at 19:12
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2009 at 21:31
I hate James Reston Junior! He's the shock jock of history!
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2009 at 13:55
You have a point Parnell. Shockingly good. Smile That's why it was such a fun read.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2009 at 14:05
A little bit of Equaino's 'An Interesting Narrative' at the minute. The back story is about as interesting as the book, which, after a year of classics, is a little flat, but undoubtedly a classic in its own right.

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2009 at 15:13
I've been reading a lot recently, finished Tom Wolfe's Bonfire of the Vanities a couple of days ago and started Aloud Huxley's 'Crome Yellow' last night. Huxley is a great writer and his style of writing is so deprecating and livid. He doesn't get bogged down with dull periphery and his intellect is outstanding - such a naturally intelligent writer. I stumbled into Huxley when I picked up and read Point Counter Point for 4 euros a couple of months ago, and I hope to read most his books this summer (Picked up most of his books, such as Brave New World, Eyeless in Gaza etc.)

On the history front I'm casually strolling through Loades' 'Politics and the Nation 1450-1600', a nice distraction from fiction every now and then and a steep descent into Tudor politics :)
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2009 at 18:14
I just finished The Forest and the River by Swedish ethnographer Lars Persson about the life in a Native American village in the Colombian part of the Amazon. The author discusses art and cultural life but also the relations between the natives and the mainstream Colombian society.

Now I`m reading Peter F Hamiltons Pandoras Star.

Parallell to that I´m also reading Wu Cheng´ens classic  Journey to the West, a well known chinese book from the 16th century. It´s really fun, exciting and interesting.

A while ago I also read Daily Life of the Nubians by Robert Steven Bianchi.

Etnad View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Etnad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2009 at 11:49
I'm reading Dante's "the divine comedy".
Fantastic writing.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2009 at 14:52
Finished 'The Road' by Cormac Mac Carthy last night. Am I a heathan or am I just the only person in the world who wasn't terrifically moved by the book?
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2009 at 15:05
PrayingPraying Lord save us from Parnell and his evil ways!

Truthfully, I haven't read it. In fact, at the minute I'm havibg a hard time finding the moment to read, as I'm wrecked and hungry every evening and just want to let my brain vegetate for a while. I need to concentrate!

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2009 at 10:23
LOL, its easy to read when unemployed and at home all summer - the parents can only invent so many odd jobs, the rest is slothful indulgence!
diomedes View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote diomedes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2009 at 19:06
I am about to begin The Idiot by Dostoevsky. I've loved all of his other works so far, and I suspect that this will be no different. History-wise, I've just completed a massive tome on the history of U.S. foreign relations. Fascinating, intricate stuff. I'm also delving into European colonization of the Americas. I should be busy on the literary side of things.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2009 at 10:37
I am reading "The Greeks and Greek Civilization" by the 19th c historian jacob Burkhardt

And

I have a copy of "Indian Giver; how teh Indians of the Americas Transformed the World" by Jack Weatherford
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2009 at 10:25
I am reading Orhan Pamuk's "Snow" (English Translation)
It is very timely subject and very well addressed.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2009 at 11:17
I am reading "The Peloponnesian War" by Donald Kagan now.

Does anyone know of other great authors on this topic? recent ones!!
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2009 at 14:15
Dear EagleCap!

How interesting! When you finish, maybe we can have some interesting conversations? As you might well have noticed, I am now concentrating upon things that might well involve the Pelopennesian War!
No, I have not read said book! But, the war itself is full of interresting co-relations with some what later times!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 46>