Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

It's a waste of time becoming a medieval historian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It's a waste of time becoming a medieval historian
    Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 12:06
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Are you being sarcastic? Otherwise I can't believe you just said that."Civilising the black man, although he be the most primative of primative, is a prime objective of the Holy Anglican Church in this 19th century"Why don't you steal educate their children and teach them to be civilised europeans human beings while you're at it?

Look, I do not beat around the bush or indulge in coddlywobbly PC talk; when I see a primitive human, I'll call him a primitive human. When the Anglican Church referred to the black man as the most primitive of the primitive in the 19th century, then I am positive they were generally correct.

There are many misconceptions about primitiveness; it simply denotes an early stage of development. It's also a relative term; compare British civilisation in the 19th century, perhaps the most advanced in the world at that time, with the civilisation of most Sub-Saharan Negroid tribes. The gap between them would be obvious, and as the civilisation of the Negroid tribes would be closer to the "original" (hence primitive) stage of mankind (many of these were and still are hunter-gatherer societies), it was fully justified to say they were the most primitive of the primitive - unless of course they could find someone even more primitive. And I'm not just grinding my own wheat here; a thousand years earlier you could see a similar gap between the Islamic world and the Europeans, and this is reflected in how Islamic sources describe Europeans.

Honour killings are an indicator of a society that is comparatively quite primitive when compared with the most advanced forms of civilsation today. We certainly had honour killings in Europe too, but these were gradually extinguished in the Middle Ages as the King was to a greater extent able to enforce the monopoly of legitimate violence that is the fundament of any state. Honour killings were thus an earlier, more primitive stage of our development. Likewise in the Middle East today, the antiquated practice of honour killings is carried on mainly by people from rural and uneducated social groups, who have progressed the least, and there is a civilisational gap between these and the higher strata of society.

Edited by Reginmund - 02-Dec-2007 at 12:17
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 12:18
And that my friend has just earnt you a caution.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 12:38

Once they are about 30 that would be a true statement. People who think like that from the start are maybe only 20-30%

You have solid sources behind your claim, I'm sure.

Very well illustrated. You just measured a families worth in dollars. That is an extrodinarily western thing to do, and really shoots your whole argument in the foot.

Its true that conservative westerners do value the family (albeit a nuclear family not an extended one). But these are people who for some reason haven't kept up with the times. Perhaps they disagree with the current fashions, perhaps they couldn't care less about them. Either way, you can't hold them up as typical anymore.

Marriage is much about economics in any socieity.

And I do wonder on what you base your information on western society. The family is and always was of highest value here. It doesn't matter that the less-family oriented are the loudest groups; they are certainly not in the majority.

Though I do agree retirement homes are barbaric.
----

I'll refrain from commenting the saudi woman case, I don't really trust any information coming from that place enough to consider myself able to make up a well-founded opitnion.

----

Rule no1, Reginmund: only when talking about Europeans primitive may be called primitive.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 12:54
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Rule no1, Reginmund: only when talking about Europeans primitive may be called primitive.

Maybe on the day I start calling a spade "tool for dirt removal".

I'll speak my mind at all times and I won't alter my opinions or voice them any differently under threat of suspension. Were I to do that I would lose all respect for myself, and I'd rather be suspended with my integrity intact than to be yap to the tunes of the PC like a whipped dog. The decisions of the moderators I will leave up to them, but I won't tailor my rhetoric to suit all sensibilities. I do not wish to hurt or offend anyone but I won't corrupt what I see as the truth to avoid it either.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 14:45
Hello sparten

Actually under Sharia, confessions are, as in all legal system, the strongest proof. When one confesses to a crime than he is nished for it. The woman confessed to adultry and other accusations but withdrew her confession. A withdrawn confession has no merit legally but since the circumstantial evidance were too strong otherwise, like the forensic tests and conflicting testimonies she was punished for, among other things, contempt which was also the reason why the lawyer was disciplined, and last time I checked lawyers do get disciplined in the west.

In any given case, I do not see much difference in this case from the loads of injustice that is been handed down by judges in western countries, or have we forgotten about Greensboro massacre, Rodney King and other crimes which were videotaped from beginning to end and had numerous witnesses and yet the assailents got away thanks to double jeopardy.

And Regi, please read my post above, honor killings are nothing compared with ordinary murder, and if you want to compare civilization, than compare incidents of sexual abuse between the west and Islamic countries and then we can speak about civilization. Honor killing are a sort of sexual abuse aren't they?

Al-Jassas
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 15:01
Originally posted by Al Jassas

And Regi, please read my post above, honor killings are nothing compared with ordinary murder, and if you want to compare civilization, than compare incidents of sexual abuse between the west and Islamic countries and then we can speak about civilization.

I don't put much faith on statistics from the Middle East on such a sensitive matter, but in any case it doesn't matter as the level sexual abuse is not the measuring stick of how advanced a civilisation is. A hunter-gatherer tribe in Africa f.ex. may have less sexual abuse per capita than New York, yet they are extremely primitive in comparison with the New Yorkers.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 16:08
I'll speak my mind at all times and I won't alter my opinions or voice them any differently under threat of suspension. Were I to do that I would lose all respect for myself, and I'd rather be suspended with my integrity intact than to be yap to the tunes of the PC like a whipped dog. The decisions of the moderators I will leave up to them, but I won't tailor my rhetoric to suit all sensibilities. I do not wish to hurt or offend anyone but I won't corrupt what I see as the truth to avoid it either.

Reg.
Just for the record, I as a moderator and in general, support your position.

That being said, you are on a millimeter wide line.  Just as it is your right to speak your mind, it is also your responsibility to consider the rights and feelings of others when you express yourself.

Al Jassas-  

From your postings one could surmise that you haven't yet raised a daughter.

Edited by red clay - 02-Dec-2007 at 16:11
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 16:45
I did not mean to disrupt the conversation and subvert it to an examination of honor killings throughout world society; I made the statement in a far earlier post, and Omar asked me to back up "ungrounded" information, so I provided some links. I think everyone has said what they need to say about the issue, and it is time to move on with the original topic at hand.

Regardless of the circumstances of the Qatif-rape trial, what it seems is really at stake here are fundamental human rights. For one thing, corporal punishment of that sort is something that we in the West consider to be "cruel and unusual punishment" and doesn't fit into the fundamental ethics of detention (ideally) in the West, which is that the penalty for the crime will be incarceration based upon the idea of societal rehabilitation (which is why I also have a fundamental problem with the death penalty here in America- no chance for rehabilitation there) as its ultimate goal. Does publicly humiliating a person by lashing them, causing them to wear the scars forever, lead to rehabilitation? Along the same lines, does beating a child teach it a lesson, or does it foster anger and resentment? As best we have been able to answer it, these punishments do not serve to rehabilitate the accused, but may even make them more likely to commit more crimes. Obviously, there is no ultimately-right answer to this question, but when dealing with something so important as human life, I find it is best to err on the side of caution, and to give the accused the benefit of the doubt; some time to mull it over in Prison, and, if suitably found to be "recovered" by a Parole board, released. Rather than whipped, tortured or executed.
longshanks31 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 16:52
Originally posted by Sparten

^
I do hope that was in jest?

Al Jassas,
The fact remains that the procedural law is very clear on this, a confession dose not suffice, only if 4 witnesses can be brought forward with sufficient evidence that the act was indeed consensual, only then can Hadd be applied. Here the judge just presumed that she was a slut and  awarded the punishment. It may be Saudi law. But it certainly is not Islamic law.

sparten, absoloutly, but to have a legal system that does not accept anything other than western values is no more daft than a legal system that does not accept anything other than islamic values.

law needs to reflect common sence, and wisdom, otherwise the laws are worthless.

Edited by longshanks31 - 02-Dec-2007 at 16:53
long live the king of bhutan
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 17:33
A legal system is one that can be enforced. Daft or not. There have been plenty of legal systems in the world which were valid ones but were very daft. Some aspects of the French one today in my opinion, I mean what the hell is an "investigating magistrate" and "inquistorial court". Whatever happened to impartiality.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 17:45
Sparten, i agree, i can happily bore you to a coma with all the things wrong with the british legal system, there isnt a legal system in the world that is perfect, and i doubt the will ever be.
Im sure you will agree however, that laws that are inhumane are plain wrong, and if you look over borders im sure you see nations with both better and worse legal systems than you live with.
At the lower stages of the pile in my view is the saudi system, dont get me wrong, this is nothing to do with islam, there are many islamic countries with very good legal systems, some are neighbours of saudi arabia.
The legal system in saudi seems to have a lust for cruelty rather than justice, which considering its important place in the world and rather fortunate circumstances is rather odd.
Mughal e Azam View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 17:53
I think from a Westerner's POV it is considered a Cruel and Unusual Punishment - whereas from a Muslim's POV it is considered a punishment to a Barbaric crime.

Whereas they practice free love; we dont. We have a structured, rigid system that we believe enforces and bolsters family, lineage, society, community.

Both Westerners and Muslims can have multiple partners; but the Muslims are more structured in their approach.

I think the talk of "primitive" also comes from the notion that the Qatif Girl is; variably considered in Western eyes; the "possesion" of dominating men. And she is being punished by men. The article makes fleeting references to the punishment of the men also.

Also, the rapists are supposed to get death. Al Jassas - how come the Rapists didnt get death?
Mughal e Azam
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 18:02
Rape is the ultimate act of taking into possession someone else's autonomy and choice- it is the reduction of a fellow human into a utilitarian means to an end; something which is fundamentally at odds with the ethics of the moral imperative.

It has been observed that structure and rigid societies can tend to care little for the desires and dreams of individuals- there can be the subsumption of the individual into the collective without there being any positive impact on the society as a whole. These Benthamite philosophies always tend to hold the individual in shallow regard in comparison with the collective.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 18:06

Folks this is a heated discussion fitting for Current Affairs. Within this framework some or all of us will have sensitivities about this topic. We may come across as crass and unforgiving or downright cynical at times. That is our right. As long as we can maintain our integrity while discussing these subjects there should not be a problem keeping this thread open.

As for this subject, justice should be fair no matter what the concept of it is. On the other hand each country has its established laws, for good or bad, that are always worth debating here on All Empires. We will continue to do so.

After reading most of the posts I did notice that an informal warning was given. Being that this was not a fromal warning there would be nothing to retract. Otherwise I would have done so. Not that Regimund's posts are innocent of particulars but that it was not severe enough to earn a formal. He is correct in that honour killings are a custom in much of the middle east and that does include the impoverished parts of south eastern Turkey as he mentioned. Though it may not be related to the topic directly it does have a conection with the way justice is observed by families or individuals, as if vigilanties, in those parts of the world.

Surely one can also talk about the problem, in at least the US, with stalkers and crimes of passion. Which is also a horrific behavior that abuses the rights of persons who do not want to continue in a problematic relationship. Both are forms of control over another individual. Now that I equalled the playing field sort of in that saying all kinds societies do have individuals that abuse others and step on their freedoms, I think we can focus on the big picture and seek the reasons why people cannot let go when another person wants out of a relationship.

Please continue with the discussion. Leniency will be given in this thread if it gets a bit offensive. Keep in mind to not take issues personally and try to debate the issues as best as you can.  
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 18:10
Although i agree with Brian about his rehabilitation talk. Beating someone does not rehabilitate him.

It only shames him and makes a caricature of him to warn others.

Given the Western stance on rationalism and no religion; i think they will never tolerate a Muslim or Islamic Shariah in their system. They will never understand it either.

Whereas their History shows oppression by Kings and the Church; they seek salvation in Democracy and Philosophical Rationalism.

Muslims have a history of oppression by our Kings too; but our Religion; Islam - has always stood by us. From the time of Imam Abu Hanifa to Imam Ahmad's standing up to the Abbasid Khalif - religion was invoked to save the Muslims from oppression. So they seek it. And whereas these punishments are in legalistic and "secular" terms considered cruel and unusual; in a Muslims eyes they are Shariah. And rather it is not the punishment - but the Crime that is considered Cruel and Unusual.

Interesting about the Macro-Philosophy of Religious Communities.
Mughal e Azam
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 18:14
Reginmund;s invoking of Honor Crimes fits the bill.

In the Western POV this is a correlation of the Honor Crime system - where the woman is property. But in this case the male lover is also getting punished.

But i warn you guys; dont take Saudi Law to heart. The reports are all skewed. Even the girls lawyer says there is something wrong with the process; and im sure he has experience.

------------------
Brian-
I was thinking that under any model of system; it will always have a certain set of good and a certain set of bad.

The European Humanitarian Cultural System has much going for it. If thats how they want to live its going great. Its drawbacks ive already mentioned are that they have weak family ties. They concern themselves with each other more.

Then take the Indian Culture. It reinforces (strictly) family relations to the point i know my 5th cousin very well. We dont act like cousins, we act like brothers. And if im down in the dumps i get a shoulder to lean on; not just one, many shoulders.

However; who i marry and where i live - i need to take into consideration whats good for my family - not just me. I might not be able to marry a certain girl because she doesnt get along with my mother. I may not be able to lead a NIMBY chic lifestyle in a Chicago Downtown Loft because my kids need to go to a good school.

In short; the moral support i enjoy balances out the social pressures i face. And in the western system the independence i have to do what i want balances out my weak family system and "depression".

Depression is another thing. When i am depressed in America my doctor gives me pills. When i am depressed in India people look at me like "What the hell is that?" and the cure to depression is for the family to jump into 3 rickshaws and head to the local ice cream parlor and get 3 scoops.

Edited by Mughaal - 02-Dec-2007 at 18:23
Mughal e Azam
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 18:18
mughaal, i shall not name names but i think theres one or two kings that still need standing up to, and i very much hope muslims one day get around to it
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 18:37
Mughaal you certainly have opinionated views on a number of topics. I will not harp on the others from before, just the few here. Overall I respect your adament assertiveness and I certainly am not in a position to judge you. However, you did mention a few things in your recent post that deserves my feedback. A few things that overglorifies or is just plain naive.

First over generalization is you believe western family tradition is weak and hence not equal to family values of the east. Though perhaps more modern, western families have just as much care and cohsiveness between each family member as do most any other. There certainly exists those outcast members from any family that is disjointed and distant from the unit as a whole too. But this is a human issue, not geographical. Same goes for moral support. Any loving family member will do that for there own.

Regarding depression you certainly have a joyful treatment for it. If it only were true that icecream alone could aleviate or perhaps diminsh depression in the long term, we would have more doctors prescribing Ben and Jerry's or Haagen Dazs. Make mine vanilla with chocolate chips please!

One thing you did not mention is that, in America, doctors not only give medication for depression but they also refer their patients to a mental health specialist to further treat that particular disorder. I am sure with this comprehensive approach, including ice cream of course, that people suffering from depression have most bases covered for the road to recovery.

Edited by Seko - 02-Dec-2007 at 18:38
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 18:44
There has been a lot of talk about her being subjected to a law and legal argument used. Law implies that it is a system for all. Fact is the rules people are applying to her only are being used on her because she is poor and female. If she was a rich man they would not be applied. So she is not being treated legally but persecuted for being poor and female. Half the men in the Saudi Royal family spend half their lives whoring their way around the world. Is this same set of beliefs ever used to punish them?
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 18:59
Law dose not imply that. Law implies that is a system of commands of a soverign backed up by threats for breach of said commands per our friend John Austin.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>