Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bulgarian participation in WW 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bulgarian participation in WW 1
    Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 11:26

Originally posted by Brainstorm

Bulgaria was a 30 years old small balcan state.It was not the super-power of your dreams :-)(and it was again and again defeated.)

Actually more than a 1300 years old, the biggest Balcan state of the time, and defeated once with the united effort of all of it's neghbours.
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 11:32

Originally posted by Krum

It was not a superpower but it was stronger than greece and serbia together.It was a fact.We lost thanks to stupid politicians and bad allies.How we like to say we won most of the battles but lost most of the wars.

From 1878 Bulgaria participated in the following conflicts:
Serbo-Bulgarian war-result victory;
First Balkan war-result victory;
Second Balkan war-result defeat;
WWI-result defeat;
WWII-result victory;
So the overall result is 3:2 :)
Or maybe you already counting the Iraq adventure for a defeat?
And no, i don't think that Ferdinand was a bad politician, he was quite good, but German .

Edited by Desperado - 03-Nov-2006 at 11:36
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 11:39
Lets make a fast review of wars in which Bulgaria participated:

Serbo-Bulgarian war in 1885 -This was the first war for the new bulgarian state.The reason for the war was the reunion of principality of Bulgaria and East Rumelia.It was called also "the war between generals and captains".Bulgaria army was only 7 years old and serbs were much more experienced and prepaired.What happen?First serbs declared war and attacked Bulgaria.Meanwhile bulgarian commanders transfer military division from the turkish border.The serbian advance was stopped in Slivnica which was the turning point of the war.After that bulgarians only attacked and we even reach Nish.The 7 year old,poor and bad trained army crushed serbians very easy and thanks to the world great powers Serbia didnt lost any territory.

Edited by Krum - 03-Nov-2006 at 11:40
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 15:22

.That was the reason why Bulgaria attack serbia.And we had right to take more lands because most of these territories were inhabite mostly by bulgarians.It was our right(I am talking about Macedonia).And you support a country which violeted the previous agreement,so you violeted it too.

I want to say that the reason for Second Balkan war was Macedonia,not our relationships with Greece.So that argue is a little bit unnessesary.

Right?Bulgarian population was the main motive / tool for Bulgaria's expansion and military propaganda,not right.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 15:28
Originally posted by Desperado

WWII-result victory; 

Ouch
Bulgaria was allied to the Axis.Bulgarian forces occupied Yugoslavian and Greek territories during the WWII.
After the German defeat  in East and West fronts Bulgaria accession to the alliesin September of 1944 when withdraw after the Aliies pressure from the Greek territories one month later.

Edited by akritas - 03-Nov-2006 at 15:32
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 15:53
There are no eternal allies, there are eternal interests.
After WW2 we managed to reclaim from the lost in WW1/The Second Balkan war territories atleast South Dobruja, if not South Thrace and Macedonia.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 15:57
Well,this is not victory my friend.Victory would be if you managed to remain in all the territories you occupied back in WWII.
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 16:00

Originally posted by Spartakus

Right?Bulgarian population was the main motive/ tool for Bulgaria's expansion and military propaganda,not right.

It's just the same to say that the Turkish-Greek conflict (1919-1923) was a failed futile attempt of Greece for military expansion in which the Greek population was the motive/tool.

Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 16:05

Well,this is not victory my friend.Victory would be if you managed to remain in allthe territories you occupied back in WWII.

Both US and USSR occupied all of Europe in WW2, but left most of the occupied countries after the end. So they lost the war?
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 17:31
It's just the same to say that the Turkish-Greek conflict (1919-1923) was a failed futile attempt of Greece for military expansion in which the Greek population was the motive/tool.

Propaganda is natural when war brokes.The aim though defers from level to level.For example,when we talk about the official Hellenic goverment of that time,Word War I was a good chance for  expansion in the areas with Hellenic populations ,such as Macedonia ,Thrace,Western Asia Minor.The bysinessmen who supported Venizelos then,saw in that vision called Megali Idea ( "all Hellens unified under the Hellenic State"),an economical expansion in the prosperous economical centers of Western Asia Minor ,of Thessaloniki and Monastiri.This belief was also supported and popular from the fact that most Hellens outside of Hellas were in trouble :Macedonian Hellens with  Bulgarians,Asia Minor Hellens with Ottoman Turks.

Both US and USSR occupied all of Europe in WW2, but left most of the occupied countries after the end. So they lost the war?

ehm...what?Ouch
Half of Europe was under NATO surveillance.US troops were positioned in Germany,France,Italy ,UK .Eastern Europe was integrated in the Communist Block ,they became satellites of the USSR while the last Soviet troops left the area in 1991.

Who said they left?They were always there.
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 19:01

Originally posted by konstantinius

.Also, Bulgaria was the big winner of the First Balkan War expanding the most in territory; then the others teamed up on her  to restore balance, so to speak.

Yes you teamed up because you and Serbia were too weak to face Bulgaria and you greedy wanted territories that was rightfully ours.In that time Bulgaria was more powerful and of course the weak will unite to remove the strong.Now it is different.But lets not discuss anymore Balkan wars.It is only a subject that cause hostility and a quarrel between all us.

I agree that it is an inflammatory topic but I have to disagree if you're saying that Salonica or Kavala were "rightfully Bulgarian". Anyway, both Turkey and Greece took advantage of what essentially was, as you've correctly stated, a Serbo-Bulgar struggle for control in Macedonia. Both Greco-Bulgarian and Turkish-Bulgarian borders of today are a result of that war. Lets all hope that it was the last.
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 19:09
Two superpowers, megacountries, military gigants Greece and Bulgaria in a friendly discussion try to reveal which megasuperpower is more megasuper LOL 
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 19:15
Originally posted by akritas

Originally posted by Desperado

WWII-result victory; 

Ouch
Bulgaria was allied to the Axis.Bulgarian forces occupied Yugoslavian and Greek territories during the WWII.
After the German defeat  in East and West fronts Bulgaria accession to the alliesin September of 1944 when withdraw after the Aliies pressure from the Greek territories one month later.

It depends on what one consider as victory. If you compare the number of casualties in Greece and Bulgaria in WWII, especially that of civilian population then Bulgaria made more sort of speak "right" conclusions after WWI. Following my logic, the real winner of WWII is Sweden. IMHO

Edited by Anton - 03-Nov-2006 at 19:22
Liudovik_Nemski View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 12:24

Originally posted by konstantinius

.Also, Bulgaria was the big winner of the First Balkan War expanding the most in territory; then the others teamed up on her  to restore balance, so to speak.

Yes you teamed up because you and Serbia were too weak to face Bulgaria and you greedy wanted territories that was rightfully ours.In that time Bulgaria was more powerful and of course the weak will unite to remove the strong.Now it is different.But lets not discuss anymore Balkan wars.It is only a subject that cause hostility and a quarrel between all us.

Also we surpassed Greece and Serbia not only in military.At the times before the first Balkan War(1911) and WW 2(1939) Bulgaria's living standard was on the 6-th place in Europe and first on the Balkans.During the mandate of Konstantin Stoilov Bulgarian economy surpassed greek and serbian taken both.Even when Greece and Serbia were freed ealier.
Wink 

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 04-Nov-2006 at 12:25
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 12:32

Where you defeated or not both in Balkan Wars and WWI?Yes.The rest are BS.Wink

Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 12:42

Half of Europe was under NATO surveillance.US troops were positioned in Germany,France,Italy ,UK .Eastern Europe was integrated in the Communist Block ,they became satellites of the USSR while the lastSoviet troops left the area in 1991.

Who said they left?They were always there.

Yes, they had a lot of bases, strong military presence however almost all of the territories that were under their control during the war were not added to their national territory but remained property of their pre-war owners.
Austria, Chechoslovakia, all of Poland,all of Hungary etc. were occupied by the Soviet Union during the war but after that didn't become a part of its territory. During the WW2 the Bulgarian forces reached Austria, so unless there are no independant countries of Jugoslavia and Hungary which were partly under Bulgarian control we cannot claim victory?
Your logic is faulty. If you want somehow to question the bulgarian contrybution to WW2 victory, the best way is to mention that most of the war Bulgaria was allied to the Axis but not to invent a new criteria of who's the winner according to wartime occupied territory.

No, we were not defeated in the Balkan warS. Only in the second one.

Edited by Desperado - 04-Nov-2006 at 12:46
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 12:59
That could be partially true ,when we talk about NATO.But ,not when we talk about the Warsaw Pact.Soviet Military Presence was strong after the war.And the thought "Hey i have Soviets and Americans "helping" me to guard my yard,while i simply say "yes" in everything the "ask" from me,then i surely believe that i am independent" it's kinda irrational.

Moreover ,in WWII ,we talk about total destruction of the Axis Forces.In the case of Bulgaria ,we cannot talk with the same criteria as in the case of Germany.It is stupid to do so.The basic criteria in the Balkans was and is the land.

I do not invent.I know Balkan history.For a Balkanian ,victory means i take more land,and defeat i loose more land.The rest is a very convenient logic for people whose egoism cannot accept the fact of defeat.Your very last sentence shows that too.Your egoism is hurt.

Liudovik_Nemski View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 12:59

Where you defeated or not both in Balkan Wars and WWI?Yes.The rest are BS.Wink

In the same fashion i can say:
Weren't you crushed at Thermopylae?The rest doesn't matter.

The odds are the same-outnumbered.(like us in second balkan war)

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 13:09

The rest do not matter ,when you do not examine them.

Here we do not examine the rest.Here we do not examine the military operations of the Balkan Wars ,WWI and WWII.Here we have Bulgarian members who say:"We were defeated only in the second war(like it matters,everybody won in the first war),we were better,we kicked everybody's asses in the Balkan peninsula ,we were the victims of Serbian-Greek barbarity,we hurt nobody,we were member of the Axis forces,but we were not defeated in WWII."LOL 

Edited by Spartakus - 04-Nov-2006 at 13:10
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 13:13
It seems that your ego is hurt simply because you didnt win that wars,others won them for you.

About WW2 Bulgaria should be considered a winner.We fought only against axis.Everything else was defence(allies air raids).And we won territories(south Dobrudja)
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>