Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

to whom should Constantinople/Istanbul belong to

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: what nation do you think Istanbul (Constantinople) should belong to
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
23 [56.10%]
10 [24.39%]
8 [19.51%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
snowybeagle View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: to whom should Constantinople/Istanbul belong to
    Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 03:02
Originally posted by Sun Tzu

Well I don't know a whole lot about the Greek war of independence, but when the Greeks were victorius why didn't they take Istanbul??
Quite a few reasons ...

First, in history, the Greeks weren't always victorious, and weren't united.

Second, the war ended with interventions from foreign powers, notably, Great Britain, France and Russia.

Had the Greeks gotten their act together to unite, they might have kept control of their own destiny.

The original Kingdom of Greece formed after Greek War of Independence was very small, confined largely to today's central Greece and Peloponnese, which aren't even close to Istanbul.

Only subsequent territorial gains in the 20th century - Macedonia before WW1, and western & eastern Thrace after WW1, brought Greek territories anywhere close to Istanbul.

Furthermore, Istanbul was the capital of the Ottoman Empire.  (Re-)conquest of Istanbul would have significantly escalated the scope of conflict from breakaway rebellions into all-out war against the Ottoman Empire.

What powers like Great Britain was not prepared to do at that time was to seriously weaken the Ottoman empire too much, or let the nascent Greek state become too large.  This was prompted by the thought that such occurrence would only benefit Russia, a rival of UK.  Not only was Russia geographically close to the region (and Britain a whole continent away), the Russians shared similar religious tradition with the Greeks - the Orthodox Church, and there were fears that the new Greek state would become a Russian satellite.
El Pollo Loco View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote El Pollo Loco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 03:31
It looks as if I am the only person to vote for Greece. But there is a reason I do so. A nation is made up of its people, not the other way around. Just because the Eastern Roman Empire lost control of all its cities and lost all of its military, does't mean that it simply disapeared. I think the people apparently still thought themselves Greeks/Romans (Not sure what they called themselves). Thus, one of the reasons for the Greek War of Independence was probably because of cultural differences (the Greeks/Romans still thought themselves that, even up to that point). So, in my veiw, the nation of Greece is the "Third Rome"  so to speak, and thus the city belongs to them in that sense.

However, from the other point of veiw, the Turks own the city by right of conquest. The majority of the city identifies as Turkish, not Greek. I know that some people believe that right of conquest is not a real right, so it is really a coin toss. I think the Greeks have somewhat more right to it than the Turks, so I voted Greek.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 09:43
Well I don't know a whole lot about the Greek war of independence, but when the Greeks were victorius why didn't they take Istanbul??

Greece had the chance, and the right IMO, to take Constantinople in 1920-22. Then, Constantinople was guarded only by some allied troops (British, French etc). It had a significant Greek population, and many other non-turkish ones.
Greece made plans and was ready to storm the city. Greece didn't take the city because the big powers threatened with war if it did.
Today, with the population of the city having exploded to like 10millions, and the Greek community havingbeen expelled, Greece has few rights on the city.
But, along with the majority of Greece's population, I believe we should make the City ours once again (in the future...).Cool

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 10:32
Originally posted by xristar

But, along with the majority of Greece's population, I believe we should make the City ours once again

Well, I say good luck. Istanbul happens to have a larger population than entire Greece.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 12:05
I think Melbourne could just about lay claim to Greece. Tongue

Therefore, Constantinople can hereby be the capital of Hellenic Australia.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 12:26
Well, I say good luck. Istanbul happens to have a larger population than entire Greece.

So? We still can take it.
Keeping it is another matter...

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 13:50

Do you mind explaining how?

Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 17:59
Originally posted by Feanor

Do you mind explaining how?

History shows us that just becuase a city has a rather larger population than an aggressor, does not mean that the aggressor cant capture it. It has happened countless times.
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 18:18
Plus the Greeks are known for their ability to fight against a larger force as they have too many times in history and emerge victorious. LOL send some Spartans up there and that's all you need.
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 18:22
Let's see... Turkey has a larger defense budget, larger land forces, larger number of tanks, aircrafts, frigates and submarines. What is the base of your argument again?
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 18:51
umm who lost the Greek war of independence??? ... history is bound to repeat itself.

Edited by Sun Tzu - 15-Feb-2008 at 18:52
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 18:56
...and who lost the Turkish war of independence? I call this line of rationale a draw.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 19:06

umm who lost the Greek war of independence??? ... history is bound to repeat itself.

Greeks secured some part of their homeland with that war. What does that have anything to with invading a city which has almost no Greek population?

By the way, the opening post of this thread is misleading. The fact that Turkey is the rightful ruler of Istanbul is not to be contested.

Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 22:54
What's with this thread???

10 million Turks live in Constantinople almost as many as Greek citizens today. Take back the city? To do it what? Or are we going to massacre or drive away 10 million people and bring settlers having a ghost city?

Megali Idea (or Great Idea, the movement for a Greater Greece in the 19th century) ended when all big Greek minorities were absorbed in the Greek state (by conquest or population exchange) That's all.

I won't even trouble myself voting

Edited by Vorian - 15-Feb-2008 at 22:55
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2008 at 00:03
Originally posted by Vorian

Me too Wink

Hey Greek fellows, if you want Constantinopel, why dont you start lobbying in EU for the membership of Turkey.Wink So İstanbul becames an EU city and you all move there as EU citizens. LOL

nova roma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote nova roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2008 at 01:03
Posession is 9/10 of the law, I guess.Iknowthat'snottrueeverywhereintheworld,butIstanbulhasbeenaTurkishcityforthebetterpartof500years.
TheonlypeoplewitharealrationalargumentforIstanbulbeingpartoftheirhomelandaretheTurksandGreeks,andTurkey
obviouslyhastheupperhandinthisargument.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2008 at 03:36
i'm with vorian and erkut. (Greece does support the membership BTW)

There is no need to take any city. If the day comes, when both sides get over the whole animosity (when the patriarch is respected by his own nation) we can visit The City freely and do so with Turkish hospitality and security. This already happens, but im talking much more of the same. There is no modern answer by force that doesn't involve great and unnecessary harm and risks (more so for the smaller combatantStern%20Smile) to two groups essentially related to each other and what open and friendly borders couldnt already achieve.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2008 at 04:03

Plus the Greeks are known for their ability to fight against a larger force as they have too many times in history and emerge victorious.
Greeks arent bullet proof and only have enough strength to defend against Turkey at best for the medium term. I suggest you look at some key numbers; costs of weapons and ammo, the number of men who turn 18 in both countries every year, the budgets that can practically be allocated to such an adventure. also assume you will need a combination of numerical superiority (as an attacker) and technological superiority (we have threads in here on both side). does Greece have both and if so can it maintain such a edge for how long? Im pretty sure i know what that answer is but maybe some other readers need to actaully think about this realistically in terms of modern warfare-current demographics.

Seroroiusly, taking a city of that size would be militray suicide and a humanitarian nightmare that makes Grozny look like a entree serveing. Even if Greece has an edge on technology and numbers, a crazy government , and executed a perfect blitzkrieg style attack to cut through the thraki defenses .... it all goes to sht when you enter a state of urban warfare. The harm to the Churches and the Patriarch would be unbearable to those that want them to remain intact.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2008 at 04:36

Plus the Greeks are known for their ability to fight against a larger force as they have too many times in history and emerge victorious. LOL send some Spartans up there and that's all you need.

Turks too Tongue you must not have read much upon Ataturk.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2008 at 04:43
Originally posted by Vorian

10 million Turks live in Constantinople almost as many as Greek citizens today. Take back the city? To do it what? Or are we going to massacre or drive away 10 million people and bring settlers having a ghost city?

Megali Idea (or Great Idea, the movement for a Greater Greece in the 19th century) ended when all big Greek minorities were absorbed in the Greek state (by conquest or population exchange) That's all.

LOL

No, call Mr. Scotty on the Enterprise to beam them up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>