Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stanislaw Koniecpolski vs Gustav II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stanislaw Koniecpolski vs Gustav II
    Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 12:43
Yes, Hussars are magnificent but what's your point?
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 13:10
Originally posted by rider

My point? Well, it was only a curious detail for those of GA's fans, who believe that his army (especially cavalry) was so great.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 14:07
Oh, thanks for clearing it up in that case.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 16:04

So the whole purpose of the thread is to search for every little skirmish the Poles happened to defeat Swedes? Kinda what I suspected.LOL

ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 01:39
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

So the whole purpose of the thread is to search for every little skirmish the Poles happened to defeat Swedes? Kinda what I suspected.LOL

It's an irony. I know.
Anyway, if the Swedes still claim that 'the battle of Riga 1621' was Gustaw's victory, I think that readres of this thread have right to read about real victories of that war. Smile
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 12:38
Riga was not so much a battle as a siege was it not?

There were frequently sorties and other skirmishes surrounding a besieged place, but the practical result of Riga was that the town fell, and was then an integral part of Swedish presence on the east Baltic for like 90 years. The Poles were not able to relieve it.

ataman:

What is the matter with the Swedish army of Gustav? It was as methodical, and for that time, as professional as the Poles were gallant. The Swedes were putting into practice west European military practices that were found to be useful against the strength of the Poles. That is what successful commanders do; they don't necessarily have to win every battle.

Although Gustav was not averse to winning battles, the main goal of his Livonian/Prussian campaigns was to (1) secure the revenues of as many Baltic towns as possible, and (2) to keep Poland from recovering them. Engineering and fire discipline are not romantic like cavalry charges, but they served Gustav well enough.

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 08-Jan-2007 at 13:21
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 13:54
Originally posted by ataman

Originally posted by rider

My point? Well, it was only a curious detail for those of GA's fans, who believe that his army (especially cavalry) was so great.

Well it doesn't matter which army is better as long as one of them are able to realize campaign goals on which Swedes certainly were lot more successful in long run than Poles.
Of course without a doubt Gustav Adolf took some cavalry warfare lessons from Poles which were quite useful for his army in the 30 years' war.

Edited by axeman - 08-Jan-2007 at 13:54
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 14:31
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Riga was not so much a battle as a siege was it not?

The siege - yes. The battle - no.

the practical result of Riga was that the town fell, and was then an integral part of Swedish presence on the east Baltic for like 90 years. The Poles were not able to relieve it.

It's true. And nobody dobuts it. But don't you think that there is a difference between Spartan's statement:

'A belated relief army under Radziwill was attacked and beaten (Swedish sources say 10,000 men, Polish ones 3,000).'

and what really happened at Riga?

ataman:

What is the matter with the Swedish army of Gustav? It was as methodical, and for that time, as professional as the Poles were gallant. The Swedes were putting into practice west European military practices that were found to be useful against the strength of the Poles. That is what successful commanders do; they don't necessarily have to win every battle.

Although Gustav was not averse to winning battles, the main goal of his Livonian/Prussian campaigns was to (1) secure the revenues of as many Baltic towns as possible, and (2) to keep Poland from recovering them. Engineering and fire discipline are not romantic like cavalry charges, but they served Gustav well enough. 

Pikeshot, this discussion has began in other thread. We were talking about commanding skill of Gustaw Adolf and Stanislaw Koniecpolski. I didn't claim that Gustaw gained nothing in these wars. I only don't agree with Spartan's poit of view.

Edited by ataman - 08-Jan-2007 at 14:51
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 14:46
Originally posted by axeman

Well it doesn't matter which army is better as long as one of them are able to realize campaign goals on which Swedes certainly were lot more successful in long run than Poles.

Doesn't it  matter which army was better? Ok, so what will the Swedes say if I write that Polish army in the period 1655-1660 was better than Swedish one? Doesn't it matter what is true?
What will Americans say if I write that Vietnamese army was better than American one? Doesn't it matter what is true? Doesn't it matter what real reasons of Vietnamese victory were?
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 02:23

Engineering and fire discipline are not romantic like cavalry charges, but they served Gustav well enough. 

Pikeshot, what do you mean by 'fire discipline'? And why do you think that fire discipline 'served Gustav well enough'? What is your point?

Edited by ataman - 09-Jan-2007 at 02:25
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 11:06

Engineering and fire discipline are not romantic like cavalry charges, but they served Gustav well enough.

Pikeshot, what do you mean by 'fire discipline'? And why do you think that fire discipline 'served Gustav well enough'? What is your point?

Fire discipline = repetitive drill that increased the rate of fire of musketry, and the use of heavier muskets than were common in the East. As the 1620s went on, the arquebus was virtually eliminated among Swedish infantry and replaced by Dutch pattern muskets of from 18 to 22mm bore.

As a force multiplier, improved and more disciplined firepower helped the Swedish army to often counter the Polish superiority in cavalry. Not always though. Once most muskets had been discharged (as in the use of the salvo) the linear formation of the Swedes was vulnerable to cavalry as the pikemen could only protect so much of the formation from the center. Other Swedish formations in echelon might assist with their muskets, but often at the peril of their own troops in formation ahead of them.

The use of "commanded musketeers" assisted Swedish and Finnish cavalry in contact with the Poles, but that seems to have been a particularly hazardous duty in the army, with no pikes to retreat behind.

Improved firepower, and the use of field fortifications (that both sides used effectively) were found to be just good enough to acomplish many of Gustav's goals before Altmark. However, not all of them were met. The years of the war in Prussia were a "near run thing." By 1628, more exhaustion and starvation than glory.

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 09-Jan-2007 at 11:06
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 12:15

Fire discipline = repetitive drill that increased the rate of fire of musketry, and the use of heavier muskets than were common in the East. As the 1620s went on, the arquebus was virtually eliminated among Swedish infantry and replaced by Dutch pattern muskets of from 18 to 22mm bore.

ok

As a force multiplier, improved and more disciplined firepower helped the Swedish army to often counter the Polish superiority in cavalry.

Can you write any example?
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 17:17
Well, Mewe is generally acknowledged as the main example, although Koniecpolski was not in command. I have read a couple of accounts that indicate that either two? or three? charges by husaria were broken up on 29 Sept. by the firepower of the musketeers. The Scot John Hepburn, a Swedish officer who was there, wrote a description of the effectiveness of the salvo. Robert Frost makes use of more recent Polish sources (J. Teodorczyk, J. Seredyka) in regard to Polish reaction to the tactics.

On 1 Oct., the Swedes were swept from high ground, that threatened the Polish entrenchments besieging Mewe, by Zamoyski, while trying to dig entrenchments themselves. They had discharged their muskets in salvo against Polish infantry to take the position, and had not had time to reload. However, the high ground was later taken, threatening Sigismund's positions with artillery, and the siege was lifted.

Frost cites primary sources, both Radziwill and Koniecpolski, that indicate that Polish tactics were impacted by those of the Swedes. The number of infantry in the Polish army was increased, and many more heavy muskets were employed. Koniecpolski began to avoid confrontation with the Swedes on any ground where Gustav would have the advantage. This was smart war making. Poland was wealthier than Sweden and could better wage a war of attrition, especially since Gustav could not reduce Danzig - the main prize of the whole venture.

The use of fire discipline had a major effect on both sides, and changed the way the war was fought.

Unfortunately for me, I don't read either Swedish or Polish, so if there is other information, I'd be interested.

On another note, I have never been convinced that Swedish cavalry was equal to husaria, regardless of Dirschau. The Swedes had almost no heavy cavalry other than a few German companies from Estonia and maybe Livonia. The action at Honigfelde in 1629 showed their weakness against both heavier Polish horse and also Imperialist reiter. I have found it difficult to find good descriptions of the use of the commanded musketeers to provide fire support for the Swedish cavalry.

Still, the Swedes were more successful than not.

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 09-Jan-2007 at 17:34
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 06:04

Well, Mewe is generally acknowledged as the main example, although Koniecpolski was not in command. I have read a couple of accounts that indicate that either two? or three? charges by husaria were broken up on 29 Sept. by the firepower of the musketeers. The Scot John Hepburn, a Swedish officer who was there, wrote a description of the effectiveness of the salvo.

It's very interesting. Can you quote Hepburn's description of this event?

Robert Frost makes use of more recent Polish sources (J. Teodorczyk, J. Seredyka) in regard to Polish reaction to the tactics.

Well, Teodorczyk isn't credible source of information. His description of the battle was written about 40 years ago and is biased very much (it's a good example of Communist propaganda). I can recommend you new Radoslaw Sikora's book "Fenomen husarii" (publised few years ago), where Sikora point by point shows Teodorczyk's 'mistakes' ('mistakes' is a very gentle word in this case). If you want, I can write more about it.

Seredyka's contribution to this subject is insignificent. AFAIK he wrote only one article, where discussed some minor aspects of the begining of the war and this battle.

On 1 Oct., the Swedes were swept from high ground, that threatened the Polish entrenchments besieging Mewe, by Zamoyski, while trying to dig entrenchments themselves. They had discharged their muskets in salvo against Polish infantry to take the position, and had not had time to reload.

AFAIK this idea comes from Teodorczyk's description of the battle. But even Teodorczyk quoted primary source which states that Swedish infantry shot to charging hussars. And that hussars charged 'like in fire'. So?

My notice - according to Teodorczyk's description, Polish cavalry was deployed many hundreds meters from the place, where the Swedes took position of Polish infantry. Even if there were only 400m, hussars needed at least 2 minutes to approach to the Swedes (look at this

http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/HowHussarFought.htm )

Don't you think that it is enough for well drilled infantry to reload muskets? I've seen on this page http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/PolishHorseArtillery.htm a movie which shows that musketeer needs only 12 sec. to load and to shoot.

Frost cites primary sources, both Radziwill and Koniecpolski, that indicate that Polish tactics were impacted by those of the Swedes.

Do you mean 'The Northern Wars'? I have this book.

It's true that 'Polish tactics were impacted by those of the Swedes'. But Radziwill and Koniecpolski wrote about using obstacles and about avoiding battles by the Swedes. They didn't write about fire discipline of Swedish infantry.

BTW, Frost made mistake in his translation of Radziwill's letter ('The Northern Wars' p.107). Radziwill used the word 'fortele', while Frost translated it as 'stratagems'. In fact 'fortel' in old Polish language meant every kind of obstacle; only in modern Polish language it means 'stratagem'.

The number of infantry in the Polish army was increased, and many more heavy muskets were employed.

The number of infantry in Polish army increased to fight with Swedes, who usually didn't want to leave their fortified positions and didn't want to fight in the open field with Polish cavalry.

Heavy muskets - well, the Poles suffered a shortage of their own infantry, so they were forced to hire foreign infantry. These foreign infantry (Germans for example) used heavier muskets than Polish 'hajduks'. It doesn't mean that fighting Swedes demanded heavy muskets.

Koniecpolski began to avoid confrontation with the Swedes on any ground where Gustav would have the advantage.

It means that he avoided to attack fortified Swedish positions, while he tried to fight with Swedish army in the open field. Sombody should remember that Swedish army outnumbered Polish army in Prussia about 2 (sometimes even 3) to 1. The Swedes always had more infantry than the Poles. They had more infantry and they usually didn't want to leave they fortified postitions. Koniecpolski, having less infantry than the Swedes, was wise enough to avoid attack Swedish fortifications. But in the open field, he attacked the Swedes, even if the Swedes outnumbered him (like at Trzciana 1629)

The use of fire discipline had a major effect on both sides, and changed the way the war was fought.

IMHO (which is based on the newest Polish elaborations) it wasn't the use of fire discipline, which had a major effect on both sides, and changed the way the war was fought. It was the use of obstacles, which secured the Swedes from charges of Polish cavalry. Polish and Lithuanian hetmans (commanders) stressed many times that the Swedes avoided open field engagements, and that Gustaw Adolf tried to win this war by 'krecia wojna' (moles' war). Neither Lithuanian nor Polish hetmans wrote about any impact of fire discipline of the Swedes on their tactic.

Edited by ataman - 10-Jan-2007 at 07:43
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 09:25
ataman:

OK
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 11:20
Pikeshot1600, can you quote Hepburn's description?
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 15:11

I'll try to find the exact wording.  It is one of those "you know you read it, but you are not sure where."

Maybe one of the Swedish forumers has it right to hand.

Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 15:37

I'll try to find the exact wording.  It is one of those "you know you read it, but you are not sure where."

Maybe one of the Swedish forumers has it right to hand.

Well, I can't find it.  Come to think of it, it may have been another Scots officer in the Swedish army.  I do remember reading it although I did not find it in the texts I own.

I came up with too many internet hits on Katherine Hepburn and Audrey Hepburn.  Smile

The hits on "salvo" and "Swedish salvo" were inconclusive on a description in English.   Sorry.

ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 02:49

Well, I can't find it.  Come to think of it, it may have been another Scots officer in the Swedish army.  I do remember reading it although I did not find it in the texts I own.

I came up with too many internet hits on Katherine Hepburn and Audrey Hepburn.  Smile

The hits on "salvo" and "Swedish salvo" were inconclusive on a description in English.   Sorry.

It's ok.

Anyway, I know description of these charges from Polish primary source. The member of the battle (a servant of Tomasz Zamojski) claims that hussars charged both - Swedish cuirrasiers and Swedish infantry. While hussars defeated cuirrasiers, they couldn't reach infantry because in front of inantry were trenches which stopped hussars.
Spartan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Spartan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2007 at 15:21
Hello everyone.

ataman, I have been reading everything you have written, and you're are not going to intimidate me, albeit in a 'mild' manner, with your nationalistic conviction. You want to act tough? You've been doing that since our 1st correspondence. Soory, but that's the feeling I'm getting here, even though I should remember where we are.

You say 'Swedish propoganda', as if you are the just voice? I say much Polish propoganda on you part. How's that? Sikora and you mention 'credible' sources - sources not being followed by historians? Credible because you say so? OK, I guess that's etched in stone, huh? Historians like Michael Roberts are inept. Let's start all over! I'm sorry, but I don't care how much you exude all your 'information' and knowledge of what you've been told by your people, you have convinced me of almost nothing with your elaborate breakdowns and self-proclaimed refuttals (via connotation) of my comments. I'm the one who stresses 'point of view', and 'bias' from both sides, not you. I read that your ancestry was involved in the war. Good, that's a source of strong pride, but also the most powerful impetus which induces unilateral subjectivity. Don't even try to deny that. Well, go ahead. You go on of how who was the credible source and who wasn't to too much of a degree of incontrovertible assurety. You do not know for sure; nobody does.

Now, my anger is probably good fodder for one to say, 'Spartan is angry because he is being proven wrong". Nope - I'm just too nice sometimes, and I don't like being condescended. Of course, in such disagreements the one accused of bias and condescension thinks they are simply the correct one.

I was indeed mistaken about the Cossack cavalry - a mistake I edited elsewhere before I saw your rancor here on AE (I am constantly re-edited things here and there in the article on paradox and twc): the name simply was changed to pancerni to distinguish the ethnic Cossack rebellions in 1648 or so. It's difficult to procure accurate information about Polish history at this time, as so much of it is obscure and seemingly not in complete accordance with varying accounts. I am hardly ashamed to admit that mistake.

Zygmunt III never had Sweden, nor were any of his claims for it better than dust in the wind, in my opinion. Being that Sweden was about 1/4 century away from being an 'elective kingdom', there were literally dozens of people that had either a better claim or a better chance to become king if not for the one who actually already was. His beliefs as the legitimate king of Sweden were understandable, and his invading army (look up what 'incursion' means) at the battle of Stangebro may not have so much a Polish army as that of one composed of his loyal followers among the Swedish and Finnish nobility, but his crossing into Sweden was an incursion against his uncle. As far as the rebellious Erik was concerned, protestant Sweden could not have a Catholic king, particularly one who advocated counterreformation. Zygmunt lost much support, then arrived in Kalmer with a fleet from across the Baltic - an incursion.

I have pulled nothing out of the air to purposely offend Poland etc., and you will have to disprove what you vehemently question, not the other way around, such as Hepburn's memoirs, which are supported by Robert Munro.

pikeshot, try googling on 'George A. Henty on Hepburn', or something like that. He wrote about this war, and although he also wrote fiction (Polish posters and Gustavus detractors will certainly jump on that issue to discredit his writings of Gniew etc.), he was also a war correspondent in the 19th century. His accounts make use of memoirs from the Scottish mercenaries. But he's not a primary source.

Gustavus couldn't defeat 2,000 of the enemy when armed with 15,000 of his own? Whatever the 'situation', who do you think you're fooling??

All history is a story, so to speak, and we can never totally disprove anyone else. We are not splicing DNA here! But again, you've convinced me of nothing (nothing personal), and you're assiduous quest seems to be one of patriotism, not out of an avocational interest in history, as is the case with me.

It would be a waste of time to counter all your counters, but it doesn;t matter what you intricately offer, it's all not irrefutable. What is? Call me a coward all you want.

ataman and Majkes and everyone else, please, trust me, I am fully aware the Swedes are hardly innocent when it comes to the coloring of this conflict to favor their cause: there is no doubt that Swedish cavalry companies and/or their reiter allies, if caught out in the open by the husaria, without support from significant musketry fire, they were run roughshed over! That was part of Gustavus' apprenticeship, but my amateurish extrapolations simply concur more with them than the Polish view. I actually wish I didn't care about any of this! But thanks for taking the time.

Thanks, Spartan

Edited by Spartan - 20-Jan-2007 at 17:04
"A ship is safe in the harbor; but that's not why ships are built"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>