Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who is your favourite Greek warrior?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who is your favourite Greek warrior?
    Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 20:21
For me It's Philopoemen. The Last of the Greeks

For those who don't know him, read this. I'm sure you will enjoy it.http://www.e-classics.com/PHILOPOEMEN.htm

He was the 1st in to a battle and the last to leave. (This to me, is the sign of a true leader) Enemies feared him and the mention of his name. He lived a full life, which is rare for a warrior. He was a humble man. I think he could have beaten Alexander the Great in a head to head combat.
GENERAL PARMENION View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote GENERAL PARMENION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 05:28
Parmenion , even though he was a general , not a simple worrior!!
"There is no doubt, that Macedonians were Greeks."
(Robin Lane Fox "Historian-Author" In Interview with newspaper TO BHMA)

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 13:03
i'm going with Parmenion too. actually he's one of my faves of all time and all
cultures...
Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 13:08
I don't know what you mean by warrior. Can it be a actual person or can they come from mythology.
Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 18:54

Originally posted by Winterhaze13

I don't know what you mean by warrior. Can it be a actual person or can they come from mythology.

I would prefer an actual person, but a mythological person is good also.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 04:18

Xenophon, the intelectual mercenary!

The took 10,000 Hoplites, from the heart of the Persian empire after their generals were murdered, organized elections to elect the new leadership (they called them "the marching democracy") and took them all the way to safety at the Greek conolies of the Black Sea defeating every enemy that stood in their way and always fighting infront of his men.

On top of that, he wrote a book about his adventure after their return!

read it here: http://www.textkit.com/learn/ID/84/author_id/36/

Not the kind of warrior that's implied in the thread title, but the kind of warrior that I like!

Edited by Yiannis
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 05:00
Well, I would go for Odysseus Androutsos, who was the leader of the few warriors in Gravia's Inn, the Greek version of Alamo.
CARRY NOTHING
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2005 at 14:54
Off hand Alexander the Great but I will have to think about his and add later, I have to head to work shortly.

What is your definition of a great military leader?
Good military leader or a great political leader???

Not all good military leaders make good political leaders. A good example is Gen. Grant a great Civil War military strategist but he made a terrible President.
Idanthyrus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Idanthyrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2005 at 16:04

Poor Nicias.

He was both honorable and pious, well intentioned but also cosmically unlucky. He meets ultimately with tradgedy, if Athens had but heeded his call for caution and patience they might not have met with such disaster as they did; hotter head prevailed however

Edited by Idanthyrus
GENERAL PARMENION View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote GENERAL PARMENION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2005 at 10:42
Well , Philip II of Macedon , father of Alexander and the one who united the Greeks in the Pan-Hellenic war against Persia was , i think , an example of a King who was both a Great General and a Great Politician.
"There is no doubt, that Macedonians were Greeks."
(Robin Lane Fox "Historian-Author" In Interview with newspaper TO BHMA)

Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2005 at 13:08
Leonidas the king of Sparti because...bravery never goes out of fashion!!!
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2005 at 14:29

Achilles!!!!!  Just kidding. 

Now for historical warriors.  I wonder if Alexander the not pretty good but Great counts as Greek.  If so, he is my choice. 

AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Harry Potter View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Harry Potter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 23:21

Originally posted by GENERAL PARMENION

Well , Philip II of Macedon , father of Alexander and the one who united the Greeks in the Pan-Hellenic war against Persia was , i think , an example of a King who was both a Great General and a Great Politician.

r u blind? the guy said greek warrior not macedonian!!??

btw, my vote goes to Achilles

Macedonian swear in 1903 wars: With the blood we shed all over Macedonian fields and forests, we serve freedom, as the Macedonian army of Alexander of Macedon did, with our slogan Freedom or Death!
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 01:22
Oh no, another FYROMian spreading his knowledge of pan Makedonianism(

Edited by strategos
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 12:55
Yeah, they pop up like mushrooms...
CARRY NOTHING
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 14:11
More likely he is an older member who came back for fulfilling his propagandistic reasons of existing in this community.
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 14:12

Edited by Aeolus
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 18:44
You quote yourself, Aeolus?
I guess that can be a form of emphasis...
CARRY NOTHING
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 19:31
me?? quoting myself??? are you sure??
Mythos_Ruler View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Spammer

Quote Mythos_Ruler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 19:49
Aristides
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>