Print Page | Close Window

Who is your favourite Greek warrior?

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Ancient Mediterranean and Europe
Forum Discription: Greece, Macedon, Rome and other cultures such as Celtic and Germanic tribes
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3871
Printed Date: 04-Jun-2024 at 06:55
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Who is your favourite Greek warrior?
Posted By: Guests
Subject: Who is your favourite Greek warrior?
Date Posted: 08-Jun-2005 at 20:21
For me It's Philopoemen. The Last of the Greeks

For those who don't know him, read this. I'm sure you will enjoy it. http://www.e-classics.com/PHILOPOEMEN.htm - http://www.e-classics.com/PHILOPOEMEN.htm

He was the 1st in to a battle and the last to leave. (This to me, is the sign of a true leader) Enemies feared him and the mention of his name. He lived a full life, which is rare for a warrior. He was a humble man. I think he could have beaten Alexander the Great in a head to head combat.

Replies:
Posted By: GENERAL PARMENION
Date Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 05:28
Parmenion , even though he was a general , not a simple worrior!!

-------------
"There is no doubt, that Macedonians were Greeks."
(Robin Lane Fox "Historian-Author" In Interview with newspaper TO BHMA)

Date Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 13:03
i'm going with Parmenion too. actually he's one of my faves of all time and all
cultures...

-------------

Posted By: Winterhaze13
Date Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 13:08
I don't know what you mean by warrior. Can it be a actual person or can they come from mythology.

-------------
Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)

Date Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 18:54

Originally posted by Winterhaze13

I don't know what you mean by warrior. Can it be a actual person or can they come from mythology.

I would prefer an actual person, but a mythological person is good also.

-------------

Posted By: Yiannis
Date Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 04:18

Xenophon, the intelectual mercenary!

The took 10,000 Hoplites, from the heart of the Persian empire after their generals were murdered, organized elections to elect the new leadership (they called them "the marching democracy") and took them all the way to safety at the Greek conolies of the Black Sea defeating every enemy that stood in their way and always fighting infront of his men.

On top of that, he wrote a book about his adventure after their return!

read it here: http://www.textkit.com/learn/ID/84/author_id/36/ - http://www.textkit.com/learn/ID/84/author_id/36/

Not the kind of warrior that's implied in the thread title, but the kind of warrior that I like!

-------------
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Posted By: Menippos
Date Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 05:00
Well, I would go for Odysseus Androutsos, who was the leader of the few warriors in Gravia's Inn, the Greek version of Alamo.

-------------
CARRY NOTHING

Posted By: eaglecap
Date Posted: 11-Jun-2005 at 14:54
Off hand Alexander the Great but I will have to think about his and add later, I have to head to work shortly.

What is your definition of a great military leader?
Good military leader or a great political leader???

Not all good military leaders make good political leaders. A good example is Gen. Grant a great Civil War military strategist but he made a terrible President.

Posted By: Idanthyrus
Date Posted: 11-Jun-2005 at 16:04

Poor Nicias.

He was both honorable and pious, well intentioned but also cosmically unlucky. He meets ultimately with tradgedy, if Athens had but heeded his call for caution and patience they might not have met with such disaster as they did; hotter head prevailed however

Date Posted: 12-Jun-2005 at 10:42
Well , Philip II of Macedon , father of Alexander and the one who united the Greeks in the Pan-Hellenic war against Persia was , i think , an example of a King who was both a Great General and a Great Politician.

-------------

Posted By: Perseas
Date Posted: 12-Jun-2005 at 13:08
Leonidas the king of Sparti because...bravery never goes out of fashion!!!

-------------
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.

Posted By: poirot
Date Posted: 12-Jun-2005 at 14:29

Achilles!!!!!  Just kidding. 

Now for historical warriors.  I wonder if Alexander the not pretty good but Great counts as Greek.  If so, he is my choice. 

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Posted By: Harry Potter
Date Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 23:21

Originally posted by GENERAL PARMENION

Well , Philip II of Macedon , father of Alexander and the one who united the Greeks in the Pan-Hellenic war against Persia was , i think , an example of a King who was both a Great General and a Great Politician.

r u blind? the guy said greek warrior not macedonian!!??

btw, my vote goes to Achilles

-------------
Macedonian swear in 1903 wars: With the blood we shed all over Macedonian fields and forests, we serve freedom, as the Macedonian army of Alexander of Macedon did, with our slogan Freedom or Death!

Posted By: strategos
Date Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 01:22
Oh no, another FYROMian spreading his knowledge of pan Makedonianism(

-------------
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html

Date Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 12:55
Yeah, they pop up like mushrooms...

-------------
CARRY NOTHING

Date Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 14:11
More likely he is an older member who came back for fulfilling his propagandistic reasons of existing in this community.

-------------
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.

Date Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 14:12

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 18:44
You quote yourself, Aeolus?
I guess that can be a form of emphasis...

-------------
CARRY NOTHING

Date Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 19:31
me?? quoting myself??? are you sure??

-------------

Posted By: Mythos_Ruler
Date Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 19:49
Aristides

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 19:54
Originally posted by Aeolus

me?? quoting myself??? are you sure??

You sneaky little...

-------------
CARRY NOTHING

Date Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 05:33
Originally posted by Harry Potter

Originally posted by GENERAL PARMENION

r u blind? the guy said greek warrior not macedonian!!??

btw, my vote goes to Achilles

When will they ever learn !!

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 05:38
Only in the life after...

-------------
CARRY NOTHING

Posted By: Harry Potter
Date Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 20:47

Originally posted by Menippos

Only in the life after...

only if we r greeks in the other life

-------------
Macedonian swear in 1903 wars: With the blood we shed all over Macedonian fields and forests, we serve freedom, as the Macedonian army of Alexander of Macedon did, with our slogan Freedom or Death!

Posted By: Morgoth
Date Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 03:09

only if we r greeks in the other life

Not true, you need not be Greek to learn history, and to realise that the Ancient Macedonians were Greek. However, you do need to not be a propagandist and falsifier of history. That is obviously beyond you and others like you who espouse your beliefs.

Date Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 04:46
If you continue in this line of posting (Greek - Fyrom dispute) I'll have to take measures, either delete posts or lock the topic. So please behave!

-------------

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Date Posted: 20-Jul-2005 at 05:56
Momentary slip, but I couldn't resist the temptation.

My fav Greek warrior is the unknown Greek warrior of any time, who gave his life to protect his country, regardless of politics or religion, in winter or summer, in mountains, plains or sea, tired, starved, weathered, sleepless, desparate, isolated, more than often outnumbered, despising himself for having to take the lives of others, but nonetheless persistent and unyielding.

-------------
CARRY NOTHING

Date Posted: 22-Sep-2005 at 23:37
xenophon is def a good answer but im going to have to go with agesilaos

Posted By: Arvedui
Date Posted: 23-Sep-2005 at 13:29

Leonidas is a great warrior and commander go tell the Spartans

-------------
With courage and faith none can stand in our path

Posted By: akritas
Date Posted: 23-Sep-2005 at 14:37

Odysseys

Fighter, Clever, Lover  the  perfect  Warrior

-------------

Posted By: Johnny Darko
Date Posted: 23-Sep-2005 at 18:32
Cleon, winner in Mytilene and Sphacteria ,also killed Brasidas  ilene

Posted By: poirot
Date Posted: 23-Sep-2005 at 18:44
Odysseus

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Date Posted: 23-Sep-2005 at 19:15

Originally posted by Johnny Darko

Cleon, winner in Mytilene and Sphacteria ,also killed Brasidas  ilene

Johnny Darko, you are the first person i ever meet to have Cleon as his favourite greek.

However, the suppression of Mytilene's defection is counted on general Pahes account, and Sphacteria on my fave pet, Demosthenes.

-------------

Posted By: Johnny Darko
Date Posted: 24-Sep-2005 at 02:46

"Sphacteria"

Good morning

But the final victory was obtained by Cleon, in 21 days as he promised

Posted By: Spartakus
Date Posted: 25-Sep-2005 at 14:54
Digenis Akritas!

-------------
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)

Posted By: Abyssmal Fiend
Date Posted: 25-Sep-2005 at 16:28
Epaminodas, hands down. He finally brought Greece out of the hoplite age and paved the way for Philip II's sarissa.

-------------

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

Posted By: Plutarch
Date Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 00:44
The Hoplites were a backbone that effectively shattered as a result of the Peloponnesian War.

-------------
There is nothing more unequal than the equal treatment of unequal people. --Thomas Jefferson

Date Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 04:45

Who is your favourite Greek warrior?

He must be Greek--> his ancestors were Argive exiles to Makedonia

Some people on this post mentioned that certain warrior's could have beaten him in hand-to-hand combat. Perhaps. He was no giant physically. However, he had the constitutional of a lion. He fought in every battle, often endangering his life. A king leading from the front! How often does that happen (Spartans excepted)?

I once read the definition of a hero. It said he was:

- 'one whom had a desire to validate the esteem in which he is held by people'

- 'a craving to gain for himself some form of glory which will outlive him'

He lifted Makedonia from a Greek backwater to world-wide attention.

He raised again the honour and respect  of the Greek people, so that they became again the men of Thermopylae and Plataea.

He removed forever the Greek enemy and invader - the Persians. By not just defeating their armies, but razing their capital. And then he became their King.

He conquered the Persians and their allies, the numerous Scythians tribes, and the innumerable Indian tribes, against overwhelming odds, thousands of miles from home.  

He is remembered in the Islamic world as no other foreigner has ever been - as a semi-religious divine warrior (except Iran, for obvious reasons).

He is remembered by Arabs as a mighty king. He is remembered by Indians as a gracious king and fondly regarded by Afghanis and Pakistanis as a hero.

There is no question in my mind. There will only ever be one Greek warrior above all. That legendary descendant of Herakles and Achilaos.

Alexander the Great.

-------------

Posted By: dorian
Date Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 06:27
Achilles

-------------
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM

Posted By: Menander
Date Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 08:43
Menander I. Built the Indo-Greek empire that possibly was responsible for spreading Buddhism into China and Japan. Conquered North India, Pakistan, and Bactria to form the syncretism between Hellenic, Buddhist, and Hindu art, religion, and culture (as well as having a much wider system of tribute-states in central and southern India).

In his time people reckoned him as a greater conqueror than Alexander.
In a Buddhist text he was praised as knowing all philosophy, all Indic literature, mathematics, magic and spells, astronomy, the art of war, a poet, and laconic (origin of word intended! ), an unmatched debater, the wisest and strongest man in all of India, with an army whose numbers knew no end.

-------------
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path." -Siddhartha Gautama

Date Posted: 12-Oct-2005 at 16:52

Nobody spoke of MAUSOL (can we call him Greek?!)

He build one of the seven wonders of the old age, and he fought with Greek on every occassion. And he looked good.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Oct-2005 at 17:27
Originally posted by magdala

Nobody spoke of MAUSOL (can we call him Greek?!)

He build one of the seven wonders of the old age, and he fought with Greek on every occassion. And he looked good.

I guess you mean the satrap of Caria Mausolus but i doubt he was Greek.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 05:23
Alcibiades

He was one of the most important factors in the end of the Peloponnesian war; he galvanised Athens, Argos, Elis and Mantinaea against Sparta (even though they lost in 418BC, this shows his charisma), he was the main impetus for the Sicilian expedition (which would have succeded if he was there!), he encouraged Sparta to fortify Decelea, recognising its strategic importance, he basically brought about the oligarchic revolution in 411BC on his request, he wiped out the Spartan fleet at Cyzicus in 410 (admitedly with some help), and then went on to take back the Hellespont region from Sparta. His second exile was one of the major reasons for Athenian defeat.

ah, and he was one of the lovers of Socrates

oh, and he was meant to be quite good at sport, winning Chariot races at the olympics

Posted By: Menander
Date Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 18:26
Alcibiades was not a good general at all. He ruined Athens by exposing their plans for the invasion of Sicily and his naval victories were in fact won by the strategos Thrasybulus, an excellent naval commander. And, if I recall correctly, the Argid (sp?) coalition was a result of the expiring of a Sparta-Argos treaty that had held for 50 years. 

-------------
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path." -Siddhartha Gautama

Date Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 02:19
-He didn't really expose their 'plans', but yes he did help the Spartans, but that was only becasue he had been exiled from Athens on pain of death for allegedly mutilating the Hermae and profaning the Elusian Mysteries. Just because he changed sides doesn't mean he had less skill. It was more Athenian internal politics and the stupidity of the Athenian Demos that was at fault there.

-According to Xenophon (1.1) Alcibiades not only Devised the strategies but also was a point of inspiration to his men, for the most important victory at Cyzicus (where they wiped out the Spartan fleet). He then continued to win back the Hellespont region during 410-408. Thrasybulus, Thrasyllus and the other Athenian generals followed Alcibiades' lead.

-The Athenian Argive, treaty was almost exclusively due to Alcibiades (see Thucydides book 5 chap 15), and would not have happened without his political manueverings in opposition to Nicias (e.g making the Spartans to look like fools (Thucydides 5.45). After her treay with Sparta was up Argos was initially looking for an alliance with Corinth (Athen's enemy), and it was only becasue of Alcibiades that the ended up forming an alliance with Athens Mantinaea and Elis.

Posted By: Dalsung Hwarang
Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 20:30
Militiades the greatest Greek General EVER!!!

-------------
"He who seeks death shall live, and he who seeks life shall die." --Admiral Yi.

Posted By: Dalsung Hwarang
Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 23:42
YAYUH!!!

-------------
"He who seeks death shall live, and he who seeks life shall die." --Admiral Yi.

Posted By: philiptheuniter
Date Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 21:36

So many to choose from. Philip and Alexander were two warriors that were above and beyond so many, Kings that actually fought. Ajax and Achilles according to the Illiad. Cleon (no, not from the movie the Warriors). Brasidas, King Leonidas, etc.... Great question. I guess I'm not able to narow it to one. Unfortunately, I missed a good many warriors in that list, both famous and the lowly soldier who was a fierce beast on the battlefield whom nobody remembers.

Posted By: Nikolaos
Date Posted: 24-Dec-2005 at 18:04

i think that the fact there were so many Great Greek Warriors in such a neck and neck race to out do each other is what made them great each warrior tries to imulate and often out dose them but yes im at a cross Leonidas was proboly the most noble of Warriors of then Philopean i didnt spell that right but owell i think that over all i would have to say that Alexander proboly was the Greatist warrior although Leonidas could take him out in and instant face to face

-------------
Socrates, In the world of knowledge the idea of the good appears last of all, and is seen only with effort

Posted By: Pilot
Date Posted: 26-Dec-2005 at 10:17
LOL
Phillip and Aleks led their Macedonian army to kill so many greeks (inside and outside of greece, but never in Macedon) that they were the greatest greek worriers.

Posted By: akritas
Date Posted: 26-Dec-2005 at 13:06

Originally posted by Pilot

LOL
Phillip and Aleks led their Macedonian army to kill so many greeks (inside and outside of greece, but never in Macedon) that they were the greatest greek worriers.

My friend pilot

The Aleks (probably Alexander) and Philip killed many Greeks as also and  another Greek leader Pausanias killed a lot of Greeks in the battle of Plateans against Mardonios. The civil conflicts in the Classical periods between the Hellenic tribes were a common habbit in order to show who was the ruler of the Greek world.

Regarding now the Plateans battle of course you know that the Greek allies of the Persian army composed of  Macedonians, Thessalians, Locres e.t.c. and were put all together in the right side of the Persian army formation.

Now as about the thread i repeat that the bigest Greek warrior was Odysseas because had everything that must have a warrior.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 00:23
I have to go with Achilles............quick, strong, athletic, son of a god, and almost immortal how can you go wrong with a pick like this guy

-------------

Posted By: RomiosArktos
Date Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 20:00
 Digenis Akritas,Armuris, BasiliosII and KonstantinosXI.The greatest Byzantine heroes!!

Posted By: BMC21113
Date Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 22:55
Xenophon, one of my most favorite historical personalities.

-------------
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"-George Washington
"The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one's freedom of action."-Xenophon

Posted By: BlindOne
Date Posted: 15-Jan-2006 at 16:20

Hard to say, but these 3 are my favorites:

1. Leonidas

2.Miltiades, because it was the first that win a battle with a weak center (Belisarius did it in Daras, but miltiades was the first)

3.Phillip the 2 father of Alexander the great. I am from the few people that believe that he was better from his son. Both tactic and the new phallax systen (with the long pikes) was first used by him.

Posted By: philiptheuniter
Date Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 17:23
Funny how so many of these Greeks honed their skills killing other Greeks (but of course, not exclusively killing other Hellenes). Hellenes would be heads of the planet only that God gave them each other. lol I think that may be another topic though. haha Like the Scots ruling if not for the English and the Irish if not for whiskey (and the English). LOL All in good fun mates. Back to the topic, although he does not get my vote, how about the Greek traitor, Memnon?

-------------
we are united by the same language, the same blood and the same visions
Alexander addressing dead Hellenes
http://www.macedoniaontheweb.com/forum/
http://www.thegreatalexander.com/alexander-forum/

Posted By: Otho
Date Posted: 08-Feb-2006 at 02:06
I would have said Alciabades but someone already did.  I also would have said Xenophon but someone already did.  I don't know if anyone said him, so I'll go with Agesilaus--he was pretty much the quinessiental Spartan.

-------------
Ignis aurum probat, miseria fortes viros
Qualis artifex pereo

Date Posted: 08-Feb-2006 at 21:06
The greatest greek warrior ever..

phwarr

or if he's not alvialable.......Alcibiades gets my vote

Posted By: Mameluke
Date Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 12:25

My vote goes to Epaminondas. Revolutionized warfare and changed the whole political / military situation in Greece.

Mameluke

-------------
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war

Posted By: MYTHOS
Date Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 20:29
There are many warriors who deserve to be on this list, therefore I pick the SPARTANS (all for one and one for all as the saying goes...)

Posted By: Digenis
Date Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 07:45
I think the greatest general and diplomat also ,
was Philipp II.

Date Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 19:50
On a topic so varied and historically wide in its scope of greatest Greek aka Hellenic , Hellenistic,Byzantine,Romios,Klephtes, Warrior etc , I find it difficult to see what this proves or contributes except alot of historical muscle flexing. In any case , I will state that Alexander the Great, is my first choice based on that he was the man of action and Greek thought ,philosophy , strategy, science and curiousity and dynamic viceral, vitality that embodied the mythology and legacy of the Greek world. His accomplishments as a man, let alone as a Greek are legendary and inspiring. As a second choice I would like to mention the Spartan , Amompharetos who refused to retreat to the Persians and in disobeying his commanding officers caused the Greeks to defeat the enemy at the battle of Plataea 479 B.C

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 04:19

Originally posted by Konstantine

As a second choice I would like to mention the Spartan , Amompharetos who refused to retreat to the Persians and in disobeying his commanding officers caused the Greeks to defeat the enemy at the battle of Plataea 479 B.C

There's another theory that Amompharetos simply misunderstood or was not well informed of the actual battle plan and thus jeopardized the whole operation.

The idea was that the Greeks wanted to lure the Persians out of their defensive positions and to (as a second objective) shorten their supply lines that were suffering from Persian cavalry attacks. Therefore they decided to retreat to a secondary position with the hope that the Persians would think that they retreat and would attack to completely route the Greeks. Amompharetos refused to retreat his unit in what he saw as a cowardly retreat and when morning came the Persians saw the Greeks retreat and Amompharetos small Spartan unit staying alone in the middle of the field. They attacked, the Spartans held but with losses and soon the other Greeks entered the battle to support Amompharetos unit.

The rest in well known, the Persians were defeated. It's interesting to point out that the worst losses of the Greeks came not from the Persians but from their Theban (mainly) and Macedonian allies. No wonder no one held the Thebans in much esteem afterwards...

-------------

Posted By: Spartakus
Date Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 07:07
Bloody Thebans!

-------------
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)

Posted By: erkut
Date Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 07:10

Trikopis       

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 07:18
You mean Trikoupis, in any case this thread is about warriors not politicians

-------------

Posted By: Pilot
Date Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 08:01
As I said, ALEXANDER WAS THE GREATEST OF THE GRAECIAN WORRYS.

He worried Graecians soo much, that the Graecian's (politicians, army etc) even sided with the enemy. Alexander the MACEDONIAN KING, supported by MACEDONIANs... NON-GRAECIANS. therefore there is no way he qualifys as a Graecian, but he definitly was the number one cause of Graecian worrys.

Clap

Date Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 08:27

Stop hijacking this thread and start another one if you want to discuss Alexander's Greekness (or better search and revive an old one).

You will not be allowed to create havoc in this forum.

EDIT - 27.02.2006

Posts deleted and transferred to another thread. I can't believe that another nice thread was killed by mindless and irrelevant posting!

Please continue posting as if this interruption never happened.

-------------

Posted By: Maharbbal
Date Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 21:53
Hi,
My own favorite even though not very "macho" is the greek-egyptian
lagide Evergetes II "the obese". The greatest general of all: to traumatise
his adversary (who was by the way his first wife and his sister and his
sister-in-law and his mother-in-law) he cutted his own son into pieces.
Anybody can find a better tactic?

-------------
I am a free donkey!

Posted By: bg_turk
Date Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 14:47
Originally posted by Yiannis

Stop hijacking this thread and start another one if you want to discuss Alexander's Greekness (or better search and revive an old one).

Neither will your attempts to hijack Macedonian heritage

-------------
http://www.journalof911studies.com - http://www.journalof911studies.com

Posted By: bg_turk
Date Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 15:12

If I am allowed to add half-greeks I would say my favorite warrior is Sultan Selim I. Sultan Selim's mother was a Byzantine Princess from Trabizond.  The Sultan conquered Arabia and under him the Ottoman Empire entered the period of its greatest power.

-------------
http://www.journalof911studies.com - http://www.journalof911studies.com

Posted By: eaglecap
Date Posted: 18-Mar-2010 at 16:23
I think Constatine Palaeologus XI is really my favorite Greek/Roman/Byzantine warrior.

-------------
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε

Posted By: opuslola
Date Posted: 18-Mar-2010 at 18:41
There is only one, and his name is (supposedly) "Belisarius!" And, he is the only one of the bunch that I feel any remorse!

Ron

-------------
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/

Posted By: Shield-of-Dardania
Date Posted: 29-Mar-2010 at 05:09
Aeneas, king and protector of Dardania, based on a diverse range of material, including the trilogy novel Troy by David Gemmel.

I find him a most cool and inspiring character, hence my nic.Smile

Although, personally, I don't really believe he was a Greek, as Homer would have us all believe. I  think he was Thracian, and so were his Trojan and Phrygian allies.

Pity though, for some reason he didn't get much screen time in Troy the movie. That didn't do him justice at all, I thought.Confused 

-------------
History makes everything. Everything is history in the making.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com